Twitch sidebar

Tuvalu gibson
Ninja
ECL Reigning Champs

Twitch sidebar

Post by gibson »

It would be cool if on the twitch sidebar for aoe4 it showed the top 5-10 aoe4 streamers but after that it only showed esoc community people playing aoe4. Gua doesn't even show up on the sidebar rn :(
France iNcog
Ninja

Re: Twitch sidebar

Post by iNcog »

GUA clapped hera
YouTube: https://www.youtube.com/incog_aoe
Garja wrote:
20 Mar 2020, 21:46
I just hope DE is not going to implement all of the EP changes. Right now it is a big clusterfuck.
Rainbow Land callentournies
Howdah
ESO: esuck

Post by callentournies »

iNcog wrote:GUA clapped hera
wish I could see who peoples opponents are but I guess that isn't relevant enough information to include in the default UI at launch.
If I were a petal
And plucked, or moth, plucked
From flowers or pollen froth
To wither on a young child’s
Display. Fetch
Me a ribbon, they, all dead
Things scream.
France iNcog
Ninja

Post by iNcog »

the OBS UI is also really bad.

I get lack of score but I think they do have an option where you can show your opponent's name, color and age: see this video:
YouTube: https://www.youtube.com/incog_aoe
Garja wrote:
20 Mar 2020, 21:46
I just hope DE is not going to implement all of the EP changes. Right now it is a big clusterfuck.
Germany Makrokosmos12
Skirmisher
ESO: Templer12

Post by Makrokosmos12 »

GUA should be number one by default
Rainbow Land callentournies
Howdah
ESO: esuck

Post by callentournies »

Makrokosmos12 wrote:GUA should be number one by default
@EAGLEMUT
If I were a petal
And plucked, or moth, plucked
From flowers or pollen froth
To wither on a young child’s
Display. Fetch
Me a ribbon, they, all dead
Things scream.
United States of America musketeer925
Retired Contributor
Donator 01
ESO: musketeer925

Post by musketeer925 »

Yeah, it's definitely not too useful for the bar to be completely inundated with big AoE4 streamers, drowning out ESOC users or AoE3 streams.

We may have to consider some options for improving it. I like the idea of prioritizing ESOC users, and maybe we can scale the sorting by number of viewers of the game or something - e.g., if there are 10k AoE4 viewers and 1k AoE3 viewers at a given time, the sort might be:

1) AoE4 stream with 1000 viewers (10% of all AoE4 viewers)
2) AoE3 stream with 99 viewers (9.9% of all AoE3 viewers)
3) AoE4 streams with 980 viewers (9.8% of all AoE4 viewers)

etc ...

Currently we don't even have a Twitch profile field, so we don't have a method to identify ESOC users right now.
Nauru Dolan
Ninja

Post by Dolan »

@musketeer925
I haven't kept up with the Twitch API, but I remember it returned JSON on a function call and you could get lots of information, including streamer tag back then.
Did they change that format? Or are you now only querying based on game ID and just ordering the results as they come from the Twitch API?
Nauru Dolan
Ninja

Post by Dolan »

Nvm, it seems it returns streamer ID as an integer, so there's no way to link it with someone from ESOC, unless you make a list of IDs and identify them one by one.
Kiribati princeofcarthage
Retired Contributor

Post by princeofcarthage »

musketeer925 wrote:Yeah, it's definitely not too useful for the bar to be completely inundated with big AoE4 streamers, drowning out ESOC users or AoE3 streams.

We may have to consider some options for improving it. I like the idea of prioritizing ESOC users, and maybe we can scale the sorting by number of viewers of the game or something - e.g., if there are 10k AoE4 viewers and 1k AoE3 viewers at a given time, the sort might be:

1) AoE4 stream with 1000 viewers (10% of all AoE4 viewers)
2) AoE3 stream with 99 viewers (9.9% of all AoE3 viewers)
3) AoE4 streams with 980 viewers (9.8% of all AoE4 viewers)

etc ...

Currently we don't even have a Twitch profile field, so we don't have a method to identify ESOC users right now.
You could simply create 3 bars instead of one single
1) Aoe 4
2) Aoe 3
3) Esoc Users.

For 3rd bar of ESOC users you could ask streamers to add their twitch ID in ESOC profile and then match that with active twitch streams
Fine line to something great is a strange change.
Retired Contributor

Dolan wrote:Nvm, it seems it returns streamer ID as an integer, so there's no way to link it with someone from ESOC, unless you make a list of IDs and identify them one by one.
It also returns streamer name, so you could ask ESOC users to register their twitch name in their profile and then match it with active streams
Nauru Dolan
Ninja

Post by Dolan »

princeofcarthage wrote:It also returns streamer name, so you could ask ESOC users to register their twitch name in their profile and then match it with active streams
Hm yeah, they have a user_name field too, not just a user ID.

Code: Select all

{
"data": [
{
"user_id": "7168163",
"user_login": "topramens",
"user_name": "Topramens",
"rank": 2,
"score": 6900
}
],
"date_range": {
"started_at": "2018-02-05T08:00:00Z",
"ended_at": "2018-02-12T08:00:00Z"
},
"total": 2
}
Well, they could also make a list of all ESOC streamers' "user_name" IDs, keep it on the backend, and compare that with whatever response they get from the API and order the results.
Retired Contributor

In that case active job of collecting twitch names of every esoc streamer falls on ESOC. In my case the process is automated.
Nauru Dolan
Ninja

Post by Dolan »

And in the other case, ESOC devs would have to modify forum templates to include a Twitch field and wait for users to fill it in.
Which one would take more work and time before you can actually see some effects?
Before 'it's automated', someone has to do the work for that
Retired Contributor

ESOC devs would have to put in the work in both cases, in your case its a continuous process as new users keep on joining. In my case it is only once and then the process is automated. Considering its specifically for the 3rd tab named ESOC users, if users are streaming and not registering their ID on esoc then they are potentially losing prime spot to be visible, potential loss of viewers and potential revenue. So at least the major streamers have every motivation to do so and data is less clustered as only the handful who stream would have to register. It is also arguably less work for devs in place of manually adding 100 or so streamers. Stop being a contrarian for the sake of it.
Nauru Dolan
Ninja

Post by Dolan »

The idea was to have something working quickly, something that displays the most popular ESOC streamers. Like right now, like today. A temporary solution before implementing a long-term one.
Of course, adding an extra field would be the thorough approach, but it would take a lot more time before it produced effects.
People don't spend their time on ESOC every day, so they would definitely miss adding their account in that field. Stop approaching this like a big corporation manager, because this is a small site, this sort of "process" thinking doesn't work well on forums with 15 daily users.
New users literally don't matter for this because it would take them a lot of time before they would even become an established name.
No Flag howlingwolfpaw
Jaeger

Post by howlingwolfpaw »

At the very least, 2 bars, one for AOE4 and one for AOE3, but I would like to see old ESOC players playing AOE4 with fewer viewers.

Since this site is also in English, and many of these streamers are in other languages it would be nice to filter them out, or de prioritize.
Retired Contributor
Donator 01

Post by musketeer925 »

Adding custom fields to the account is a builtin features of the phpBB forum software, so that's straightforward - no code required. And of course streamers who are ESOC users should have motivation to fill in the profile field, to ensure their stream is a "promoted" one as long as they are made aware of the feature. We could probably fill in some popular ESOC streamers manually to get things started.

@howlingwolfpaw I think the Twitch API does provide a "stream language" field, so that kind of filter could be possible. Not sure how reliable Twitch's data is - I don't know if they autodetect on their backend a language, or if they're depending on user input to select a language accurately.

In any case, I don't think any of it is a big development, but probably none of it will be done today. Hopefully someone has time to poke at it soon.
Retired Contributor
Donator 01

Post by musketeer925 »

Updated to this, to at least solve the immediate problem of not seeing any AoE3 streams:

Let me know what you guys think. Hopefully we can continue to make improvements!
Great Britain chris1089
Retired Contributor
ESO: chris1089

Post by chris1089 »

This I like. Thanks
Nauru Dolan
Ninja

Post by Dolan »

For those that use the custom site themes, I made a quick update that fixes any issues:

viewtopic.php?f=985&t=22826#p558499
Tuvalu gibson
Ninja
ECL Reigning Champs

Post by gibson »

Nice improvement, now would be cool if there was a way to get esoc people on the aoe4 sidebar.
No Flag fightinfrenchman
Ninja
Donator 04

Post by fightinfrenchman »

I'd like the sidebar to also include information about whatever various appointments I have for the day
Dromedary Scone Mix is not Alone Mix
Nauru Dolan
Ninja

Post by Dolan »

Germany Rohbrot
Howdah
ECL Reigning Champs
ESO: Rohbrot

Post by Rohbrot »

There are actually aoe3 streams live, but esoc doesnt wanna show them :hmm: