Need advice for HOTKEYS and CIV

Great Britain Diff2Process
Crossbow

Need advice for HOTKEYS and CIV

Post by Diff2Process »

Hi.

This is my first post on ESO-C and really i'm here to try and learn and get better at AOE3 as I am a huge fan of the game. I started back in 2009 and played religiously for over 2-3 year's then stopped playing until recently.

I am now back and opened the game and I can't seem to "hang" with the player's anymore that are around my level. I thought it's about time as my brain is fresh to learn some thing's from scratch before I get used to the standard that I have been playing at.

First off I would like to know what the most popular hotkeys are people use? I have heard about Mr Milo's hotkey guide, is there anything else out there that might help me improve?

Secondly, I would like to focus on 1 civ and try and get good with that CIV before branching out and trying to think im good with the other's. I have thought about it and think I enjoy French the most at the moment so what im looking for is possible strategies for 3v3 game's.

Musket start
Cav start (seen Samwise's build, is this the best?)
Native start (guess this is lame, but i'd like to know)

Thanks for taking the time to read, and hope out of this I do get some feedback which will help me.

Have a great evening! :biggrin:
India Ashvin
Retired Contributor
ESO: Octanium

Re: Need advice for HOTKEYS and CIV

Post by Ashvin »

Hi

Veni Vidi Vici has a nice collection of tutorial videos, check em out for micro, hotkey, macro tutorial and some high level french team gameplays. https://www.youtube.com/user/venividiviciw/videos

There is this very neatly written complete french guide by @[Armag] diarouga https://eso-community.net/viewtopic.php?t=9722

Also, @Interjection created a widely appreciated series of some basic tutorials so make sure you watch this series, won't take much of your time https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PL4DwBHWnAJtQSyaoGTBbo4n_AmGLy-OmL

see ya around
Crossbow

Post by Diff2Process »

Thank you @Ashvin - I have looked at it and am now working on changing the key's etc. I will also look at the french guide.

I appreciate your reply! Time to practice, practice and practice! Many Thanks.
Crossbow

Post by Diff2Process »

Just popping back to say thanks @Ashvin :D

I tried out a couple of the thing's you posted for help and game as improved.

Do you happen to have anymore good guide's but this time for Dutch? I tend to get units out but just a bit slow so thinking I am over booming but not sure.

Appreciate any replies.
Bavaria j_t_kirk
ESOC Media Team
Donator 01
ESO: j_t_kirk

Post by j_t_kirk »

ImageImageImage
Isle of Man UpMySleeves
Dragoon
GameRanger ID: 7309280

Post by UpMySleeves »

No such thing as over-booming, if you’re playing 3v3s. Unless at least one of your mates` tc is down, you’re under-booming.
Jokes aside, just send 700w first in colonial and remember to make a barracks. Also, have pikes in deck, they can be helpful early on.

As far as hotkeys go, I just use a few for the more common units like musk-hus, skirm-goon, bow-pike and pretty much the same qweasd for buildings like houses, rax, stable. I never felt that hotkeys were all too important for this game.
Never trust a man in a blue trench coat, never drive a car when you're dead
Crossbow

Post by Diff2Process »

Thank you @j_t_kirk - that guide looks good ima give it a try.

@UpMySleeves Yes I do undertsand what your saying, but im talking about team games getting pressured. Im normally quite slow. This is where I think im going for the 3 bank's and then mili building but when I start building the rax/stable they are pushing. This is where im going abit slow I think.
Catalonia Hipokondriako
Crossbow
ESO: Hipokondriako

Post by Hipokondriako »

Hi Diff2Process

I´m also on level 16 and trying to get the hang on hotkeys and BO, in a similar situation to you. Send PM and we can meet to play or test BOs. :)
India _RDX_
Lancer
ESO: _RDX_

Post by _RDX_ »

@Hipokondriako I'm also interested, we can practice some BO if you want? idk people think i'm stupid.
oranges.
Crossbow

Post by Diff2Process »

Add me on ESO, if you see me online drop me a message and we can try it out.

ESO Username: Diff2Process
Netherlands Mr_Bramboy
Retired Contributor
Donator 01
ESO: [VOC] Bram

Post by Mr_Bramboy »

Hotkeys are nothing more than habit. I recommend binding a 'unit group' to a key. For example, I have all musketeer units (musketeers, janissaries, ashigarus) bound to Q and I have all skirmisher units (skirmishers, wakina rifles, forest prowlers) bound to W. The same goes for hand cavalry and ranged cavalry.

There is no one best hotkey method. Just make sure you bind everything to an easily accessible place. I still have my market bound to (ctrl+)M and my villager production bound to T+V, simply because I never bothered to change it and now I've become so used to it that it's no problem for me anymore, even though it's suboptimal.
Catalonia Hipokondriako
Crossbow
ESO: Hipokondriako

Post by Hipokondriako »

@Diff2Process , @_RDX_ I added you both on ESO. I´m in Melbourne temporarily, so time difference might be a problem, but I play on weekends. :)