France turtle strategy??

India TNT333
Lancer
ESO: TNT333

France turtle strategy??

Post by TNT333 »

France is op lategame, yet most France players dont turtle-boom much unlike Japan players who wall up and just stay in base until they hit age 4. Is there a reason why the Turtle style doesnt favor France much?? I'd say it's pretty viable if one just walls up and spends time on maxing couriers then hitting late game and winning.
"We are kings or pawns" Napoleon Bonaparte
India Shikari
Dragoon
ESO: rahuru

Re: France turtle strategy??

Post by Shikari »

Because you need hunts and map control unlike japan as france.
Great Britain Black_Duck
Dragoon
ESO: Tom
Clan: DUKC

Post by Black_Duck »

For one thing because france doesnt get its res under the tc like Japan.
Challenged_Macro wrote: Respect Mussolini guys,if hes triggered there is always a reason.
Mussolini wrote: I hope corona gets you, your family and all your fuckin relatives as you fuckin deserve it for being cocky
India TNT333
Lancer

Post by TNT333 »

Shikari wrote:Because you need hunts and map control unlike japan as france.
Could milling work?? Just send all eco upgrades
France Kaiserklein
Pro Player
GameRanger ID: 5529322

Post by Kaiserklein »

Yeah you need hunts and mines because mills / plants are garbage and too expensive. You can't send all eco upgrades because again it's extremely expensive, and even with all upgrades you don't gather faster than natural resources.
Besides the french boom is slow. You have to get to age 3 and then spam vils out of 3 tcs, super expensive too. You don't have a very fast way to boom like Japan does.

In short, you'll die in middle game if you try to reach late game like that.
LoOk_tOm wrote:I have something in particular against Kaisar (GERMANY NOOB mercenary LAMME FOREVER) And the other people (noobs) like suck kaiser ... just this ..
India Shikari
Dragoon
ESO: rahuru

Post by Shikari »

TNT333 wrote:
Shikari wrote:Because you need hunts and map control unlike japan as france.
Could milling work?? Just send all eco upgrades
Basically what kaiser said
India TNT333
Lancer

Post by TNT333 »

Kaiserklein wrote:Yeah you need hunts and mines because mills / plants are garbage and too expensive. You can't send all eco upgrades because again it's extremely expensive, and even with all upgrades you don't gather faster than natural resources.
Besides the french boom is slow. You have to get to age 3 and then spam vils out of 3 tcs, super expensive too. You don't have a very fast way to boom like Japan does.

In short, you'll die in middle game if you try to reach late game like that.
Ok i see. Thanks. By the way, vs A Japan, does France get enough time to boom to age 4?? Since the Japan player might also be turtling/booming. So france gets enough map control and hunts to get lategame and from then its france favored??? I saw some recs of France vs Japan so
United States of America Squamiger
Howdah
ESO: Squamiger

Post by Squamiger »

going age 4 as france can be quite viable, but i dont know if it's that good vs. japan. you can't give japan that long to boom.
France Kaiserklein
Pro Player
GameRanger ID: 5529322

Post by Kaiserklein »

Well if you boom and go industrial, and he does the same, you usually just lose because his boom is stronger and his units are stronger. So unless you also manage to secure a stagecoach or burn a lot of his shrines or something, while going industrial, it shouldn't work.
In fact you may be able to FI, but surely not the turtle, tc boom kind of FI. Rather a quick guard musks + 2 heavies + 4 culvs kind of push. But I don't think it should really work vs Japan either way
LoOk_tOm wrote:I have something in particular against Kaisar (GERMANY NOOB mercenary LAMME FOREVER) And the other people (noobs) like suck kaiser ... just this ..
No Flag Jaeger
Jaeger

Post by Jaeger »

Like Goodspeed said, I do wish there was a map with ultra high resources (like 4 mines and 5 hunts in base) so that we may see industrial more often, for variety.
last time i cryed was because i stood on Lego
Germany blackout
Dragoon

Post by blackout »

ovi12 wrote:Like Goodspeed said, I do wish there was a map with ultra high resources (like 4 mines and 5 hunts in base) so that we may see industrial more often, for variety.
Could as well just play treaty then
Canada dansil92
Retired Contributor
ESO: dansil92

Post by dansil92 »

ovi12 wrote:Like Goodspeed said, I do wish there was a map with ultra high resources (like 4 mines and 5 hunts in base) so that we may see industrial more often, for variety.
Dont tempt me
No Flag Jaeger
Jaeger

Post by Jaeger »

dansil92 wrote:
Dont tempt me
Plzplzplz I am the girl in my picture I will give you a kiss
No Flag Jaeger
Jaeger

Post by Jaeger »

blackout wrote:
Lategame sup (and the first 15 minutes leading up to it) are very different from treaty.
No Flag deleted_user
Ninja

Post by deleted_user »

"Late game" sup isn't really balanced, all things considered equal. That's why the EP focuses on age 2, age 3, and very early age 4 balance. And why Treaty Patch exists, and barrier ridge isn't an EP map, and team is less balanced than 1v1.

We're actually seeing more FIs than ever (and with france) on the current patch, with maps that don't have res to go V in base.

Maps impact inter-civ balance a lot, and there's a reason why there aren't maps that would guarantee the game goes into post-industrial -- they have resource distributions that favors general map control to stay on natural resources longer than your opponent because that's an important part of balance.

Of course Japan just throws a giant wrench in this sort of model, and RE kynesie port + walls. Contrary to popular belief, these play styles were nerfed(?) not because of some administrative bias, but because they just circumvent basic RTS strategy and principle -- it's why warships were nerfed with respect to land units (culverins), why jinites were nerfed, why shogunate was nerfed. These are good changes. And don't let your desires cloud what is good RTS balance.
Germany blackout
Dragoon

Post by blackout »

ovi12 wrote:
blackout wrote:
Lategame sup (and the first 15 minutes leading up to it) are very different from treaty.
Sounds horrible tho
Canada Mitoe
Advanced Theory Craftsman
ESO: Mitoe
GameRanger ID: 346407

Post by Mitoe »

FI is plenty viable with lots of civs right now; don’t think we need more resources to make it worthwhile.
Australia Peachrocks
Lancer
ESO: Peachrocks

Post by Peachrocks »

Mitoe wrote:
FI is plenty viable with lots of civs right now; don’t think we need more resources to make it worthwhile.
FI is not quite the same or what they might mean. Not exactly. I think what they might mean is games going beyond the same predictable mark when one player loses a fight, some map control and can’t contest efficient resources anymore so basically loses by default.

Whatever the reason a lot of aoe3 games end at very similar times for this reason, which in the eyes of some makes the game stale. Aoe2 for example doesn’t have this problem because hunts are scarce by default and both/all players resort to farming early. Gold control can be an issue but it’s not as prominent and there’s always trash units in aoe2.

Though I guess it’s true that semi late game supremacy is a balance nightmare so thus gets swept under the carpet.

Hell because I played suboptimal strategies so games would actually go beyond this time frame some players got salty with me, even if they ended up winning because they were so used to the game ending at a given timing.

Just my opinion.
No Flag deleted_user
Ninja

Post by deleted_user »

Peachrocks wrote:
Mitoe wrote:
FI is not quite the same or what they might mean. Not exactly. I think what they might mean is games going beyond the same predictable mark when one player loses a fight, some map control and can’t contest efficient resources anymore so basically loses by default.

Whatever the reason a lot of aoe3 games end at very similar times for this reason, which in the eyes of some makes the game stale. Aoe2 for example doesn’t have this problem because hunts are scarce by default and both/all players resort to farming early. Gold control can be an issue but it’s not as prominent and there’s always trash units in aoe2.

Though I guess it’s true that semi late game supremacy is a balance nightmare so thus gets swept under the carpet.

Hell because I played suboptimal strategies so games would actually go beyond this time frame some players got salty with me, even if they ended up winning because they were so used to the game ending at a given timing.

Just my opinion.
Play and watch a different RTS then. AoE3 is interesting and good and the game lengths and types and strategies aren't as homogeneous as you think. It seems to me these posts serve more to accredit OP's individual frustrations than they are a critique on the tournament meta. So many aspects of AoE3 can be "analogized" with chess.
Germany amiggo1999
Advanced Player
Donator 01
ESO: miggo1999

Post by amiggo1999 »

FI builds are being seen more and more, and even civs like france (which benefit amongst the least) can pull it off effectively in some MU's imo.
Image Image
United States of America Squamiger
Howdah
ESO: Squamiger

Post by Squamiger »

Peachrocks wrote:
i feel like this is just what people who play aoe3 and wish it was actually aoe2 with better graphics want. a long game of attrition, where both players build up a huge base and stream units at each other. which is basically just treaty
Australia Peachrocks
Lancer

Post by Peachrocks »

@Squamiger Nah not me but fair comment. I have my own grievances with aoe2. I just used it as an example as to why the game length varies because it’s something we’ve all played.

Let’s just say @deleted_user4 comment about playing something else isn’t the first time I’ve heard it... for numerous games across numerous genres. Fact is many players across many games are totally okay with games ignoring significant amounts of the content, even if a lot of the games play out in incredibly similar ways despite having the potential for more. It’s just taste and I accept that, but it gets a bit old being alienated.

I mean I do play something else at this point and drift around a lot and only came back here because of Mitoe wanting to boost natives and other underused units which is an area I know a significant amount about I guess. It got irritating for both taking ages to find a game at my rusty level and then when I did getting flamed for having the audacity to not play meta. Even if I lost horribly.

But this is way way off topic. Just felt I needed to explain.
No Flag deleted_user
Ninja

Post by deleted_user »

I'm reading a lot of pro-zoi rhetoric on the forums lately which just makes me sad he's gone
Australia Peachrocks
Lancer

Post by Peachrocks »

deleted_user wrote:I'm reading a lot of pro-zoi rhetoric on the forums lately which just makes me sad he's gone
Again it’s just taste and Zoi had a taste that a lot of others didn’t share. It’s not wrong or right, just preferences.
No Flag Astaroth
Howdah

Post by Astaroth »

Squamiger wrote:
Peachrocks wrote:
i feel like this is just what people who play aoe3 and wish it was actually aoe2 with better graphics want. a long game of attrition, where both players build up a huge base and stream units at each other. which is basically just treaty
That's not really true, though. Aoe2 is more about getting an incremental advantage over time via military, map control and economy until eventually (sometimes) a huge war of attrition. Treaty however is literally just booming and base-building for 20-40 mins.