Brit v. Japan

United States of America Papist
Retired Contributor
Donator 03
ESO: Papist

Brit v. Japan

Post by Papist »

This is a challenging MU for me; I was wondering if anyone had any tips on how to play it.

Typically I make a barracks and stable with my 700w, and open with 5 cav/5 musk (I siege the nearest shrine with the musk and snare any units he sends with my cav). I follow up by massing musk, huss, and longbows. Things typically go well into the mid-game - I often catch and destroy his entire army while suffering minimal casualties.

However, Japan always seems to have more units and eco than I do, no matter how many shrines I burn or troops I kill. In my most recent game I killed his entire army 3 times, yet he still won (he aged, so I rushed into his base and killed almost 30 units only for a ton of yumi to magically appear and kill me (?!)).

With that in mind, I would appreciate any advice you can give. I want to make sure I am not going about playing this MU in the wrong way.
The function of man is to live, not to exist.
Netherlands blackwidow
Dragoon
ESO: MASTERdutch

Re: Brit v. Japan

Post by blackwidow »

As a Japan player, before I started doing weird nagi semi ff's. I typically lost to fast longbow near my base looking to tickle my vills a bit. While at the same time pikes siege shrines.
Basically just siege shrines while trying to put some pressure on, get some huss in the mix later on aswell. I feel like musks do everything longbow/pike does but worse, also they're expensive compared to the low wood cost units that are properly doing their job: Pikes for shrines/nagi, lb for the rest.
Austria KINGofOsmane
Pro Player
ESO: KINGofOsmane

Post by KINGofOsmane »

musk huss is bad
"Losing to Callen was the worst night of my life" Gibthedurrty 2019
"If hazza can get pr42 with team i can get pr50 with 1v1" Gibthedurrty 2018
Lecastete wrote: Dude i hate this game. I am bad and i also dont have luck
Tete cs:go experience
Poland pecelot
Retired Contributor
Donator 03
ESO: Pezet

Post by pecelot »

No Flag deleted_user
Ninja

Post by deleted_user »

3v, 700w, 600w, 700c

Age 500f, open 1 rax, make 10 pike from it. Siege shrines. With 700w add 2nd rax, start making 10 lbow at a time. No more pike. But keep those pikes alive. Add stable before 700c comes in, maybe even collect 80c before hand to queue one if you're op. Go lbow/huss. Wreck.
United States of America __Uhlan__
Dragoon
ESO: __UhLaN__

Post by __Uhlan__ »

deleted_user wrote:3v, 700w, 600w, 700c

Age 500f, open 1 rax, make 10 pike from it. Siege shrines. With 700w add 2nd rax, start making 10 lbow at a time. No more pike. But keep those pikes alive. Add stable before 700c comes in, maybe even collect 80c before hand to queue one if you're op. Go lbow/huss. Wreck.

this.^one thing tho just make sure you get st/gang saw dont worry abt placer mines. After 700c, do 5v or 600c and make more hus. You should never make a musket v japan.
Australia Hazza54321
Pro Player
Winter Champion 2020 x2Donator 01
ESO: PrinceofBabu

Post by Hazza54321 »

700w 600w 5v adapt full lb pike and mix huss
No Flag greatscythe11
Musketeer
ESO: greatscythe11

Post by greatscythe11 »

deleted_user wrote:3v, 700w, 600w, 700c

Is a third rax viable past the stable and maybe 10 min mark?Bowpike is cheap and needs the numbers.It seems like for a big eco like brit the number of outlets can be a limiting criteria for massing.Even to react to 10 Ashi raids for example, you can get 15 lb easy(plus 5 hussar maybe?) if your fighting in his base.Also pikes have high casualty rate and need more reinforcement than bows.
No Flag deleted_user0
Ninja

Post by deleted_user0 »

its possible, but its usually probably better to add a stable.
China fei123456
Jaeger
ESO: fei123456

Post by fei123456 »

i prefer huss/musk in this mu. naginata ashi yumi>>>hussar longbow anyway.
the key is to balance military and eco. this is a hard mu for brit, especially on big maps.
China fei123456
Jaeger

Post by fei123456 »

__Uhlan__ wrote:You should never make a musket v japan.
why no musket? japan don't have skirms in colo. and longbow hussar lose badly to naginata ashi daimyo. brit musk has 2 upgrades too.
France Kaiserklein
Pro Player
GameRanger ID: 5529322

Post by Kaiserklein »

After your lb pike start, just go heavy on huss because huss beat nagis and ashis are a poor anti cav. Can probs also mix a few musketeers to block, but not many
LoOk_tOm wrote:I have something in particular against Kaisar (GERMANY NOOB mercenary LAMME FOREVER) And the other people (noobs) like suck kaiser ... just this ..
China fei123456
Jaeger

Post by fei123456 »

ashi has high RANGE damage so they're actually good anti-cav units.
that's also why tomahawk are bad.
France Kaiserklein
Pro Player
GameRanger ID: 5529322

Post by Kaiserklein »

They don't even have high range damage, it's lower than euro musks damage per cost. Also range damage against cav doesn't matter so much because with HI + HC vs RI + HC you want to bring musketeers in melee mode to get the huss killed asap since they're the only cover for lbs.
LoOk_tOm wrote:I have something in particular against Kaisar (GERMANY NOOB mercenary LAMME FOREVER) And the other people (noobs) like suck kaiser ... just this ..
Italy Garja
Retired Contributor
Donator 02
ESO: Garja

Post by Garja »

musk huss loses to pure musks or even just ashi+yumi which is the most comfortable combo to make from japan. Musk huss is an open field combo. Vs japan you want stuff that can rush their base (massable, hard counter, long range) because in the long run you lose no matter what combo.
Image Image Image
Sweden Gendarme
Gendarme
Donator 03
ESO: Gendarme

Post by Gendarme »

Couprider wrote:ashi has high RANGE damage so they're actually good anti-cav units.
Tomahawks are pretty good anticav. They are bad at everything else.
Pay more attention to detail.
China fei123456
Jaeger

Post by fei123456 »

Garja wrote:musk huss loses to pure musks or even just ashi+yumi which is the most comfortable combo to make from japan. Musk huss is an open field combo. Vs japan you want stuff that can rush their base (massable, hard counter, long range) because in the long run you lose no matter what combo.

but some other players (good players tho) says that brit should just go vc, build 200 pop manor houses in this MU :hmm: I don't know what i exactly should do now :sad:
No Flag deleted_user
Ninja

Post by deleted_user »

VC is maybe viable if you're adamant about sieging shrines off the map too. But why would you give jap time in any MU? You should always pressure them early because they seem to win almost every game after 14 min. And brits have such a strong early eco and fast age up while japs early game is lackluster at best.
Tokelau jesus3
Jaeger

Post by jesus3 »

As I'm playing both civs frequently (although I'm nob) I'm pretty sure poking japan with lb non stop while piking down shrines as early as possible is the best way to play vs japan. You can always watch japans deck and if he sends unit shipments first you can also adapt easily with a close forward base. Ofc add hus when 700g arrives.
Also you can freely hunt as brit that way (except for ashi raids which you'll prolly see bc of all the manors)

e: now I saw that Callen already said all that. great. But I guess another time can't hurt
United States of America Darwin_
Howdah

Post by Darwin_ »

Generally you start pikes in this matchup and go straight to shrines, then get 20 lb, then alternate pike and lb according to their composition. Abuse the range advantage of your longbow when you push into his base. Focus a lot on killing their eco, as you need to really keep them from aging. Go for 700 coin after 600w or 5 vills and make a stable and a quick cav transition.
somppukunkku wrote:This is not a fucking discogame.
China fei123456
Jaeger

Post by fei123456 »

Darwin_ wrote:Generally you start pikes in this matchup and go straight to shrines, then get 20 lb, then alternate pike and lb according to their composition. Abuse the range advantage of your longbow when you push into his base. Focus a lot on killing their eco, as you need to really keep them from aging. Go for 700 coin after 600w or 5 vills and make a stable and make a quick cav transition.

what should i do if japan has more yumi than your longbow? and 5 ashi around the map killing your pikes, raiding your vills
Howdah

Post by Darwin_ »

Couprider wrote:
Darwin_ wrote:Generally you start pikes in this matchup and go straight to shrines, then get 20 lb, then alternate pike and lb according to their composition. Abuse the range advantage of your longbow when you push into his base. Focus a lot on killing their eco, as you need to really keep them from aging. Go for 700 coin after 600w or 5 vills and make a stable and make a quick cav transition.

what should i do if japan has more yumi than your longbow? and 5 ashi around the map killing your pikes, raiding your vills

They never really should have more yumi as brit eco and mass is almost always superior, but if they do just make more huss. If they have ashi in your base, pull some longbow back or send your cav to kill them (ashi arent that cost efficient vs. huss)
Netherlands momuuu
Ninja
ESO: Jerom_

Post by momuuu »

Tbh if japan stabilizes Im pretty sure ashi nagi would be hard to deal with for brits. Few yumi mixed in and you can deal with anything really.
Howdah

Post by Darwin_ »

Jerom wrote:Tbh if japan stabilizes Im pretty sure ashi nagi would be hard to deal with for brits. Few yumi mixed in and you can deal with anything really.

Your probably right, but as a japan player, I can say that it is super hard to stabilize as Japan with enough eco to be competitive with brits. From my experience, even on quicksearch maps, this is easily Japan's hardest matchup, and probably one of the hardest matchups in the game.
Poland pecelot
Retired Contributor
Donator 03
ESO: Pezet

Post by pecelot »

Couprider wrote:i prefer huss/musk in this mu. naginata ashi yumi>>>hussar longbow anyway.
the key is to balance military and eco. this is a hard mu for brit, especially on big maps.

Why would Japan have a 3-unit composition and Brits only 2-? :huh:
Couprider wrote:japan don't have skirms in colo

ex dee :chinese:
Couprider wrote:ashi has high RANGE damage so they're actually good anti-cav units.

That means Ashi's damage is decreased due to heavy cav's RR. It also depends on which Tomahawks you have in mind — NAT ones deal melee damage at range. Regardless, War-Hut Tomahawks have 42 base damage vs cavalry compared to 35 of Ashigaru, while the former cost slightly less. :!:
jesus3 wrote:poking [...] with lb non stop

wat
Couprider wrote:what should i do if japan has more yumi than your longbow? and 5 ashi around the map killing your pikes, raiding your vills

Like almost every other post in this thread said, you should train hussars :idea: Try to bait the Yumis out of Japanese base and trap them with your cavalry. :flowers: