Wall Tactics and Strategies

United States of America Inst
Skirmisher
ESO: Inst

Wall Tactics and Strategies

Post by Inst »

What does the community think about the use of walls? I've been trying early wall-ins and wall-outs of late, but sometimes it feels too expensive; just to do half a screen costs 50 wood. On the other hand, if you're playing a civ weak against cavalry, walling can delay your opponent and restrict their movement. The one thing I do regret is that the game will not allow you to wall-in your opponent, i.e, corral their villagers and base in a narrow bubble. It's essentially the ultimate map control strat, except it's illegal.

In stalled games, I've seen DM players build their base into a warren of walls, making it extremely hard to break through. But these are DM players; they often lack aggression and can't get the idea of walling your opponent in. Likewise, walled mortars and other long-range units can be pretty imba; when the best counter is cavalry, the cavalry simply can't reach the artillery.

One other idea is to build a gate and wall onto an attack path. If your enemy attempts to rush your skirms with cavalry, you can simply retreat your skirms behind the gate, forcing their cavalry to go around the wall. Alternatively, you can build a box for your skirms to sit in. That forces your opponent to kill your skirms with artillery.

Of course, the problem with this approach is that you sacrifice mobility, and if you haven't stabilized the map behind walls, they can just go around you and hit your villagers. Yet the slow and gradual creeping approach is, if nothing else, novel.
No Flag ssaraf
Dragoon
ESO: robinhood_xing

Re: Wall Tactics and Strategies

Post by ssaraf »

It's essentially the ultimate map control strat, except it's illegal.

its not illegal. You can confine your opponent in a narrow bubble, just that aoe3 has radius around main TC where you cant build. But u can still confine the opponent. Although this strategy is frowned upon and not considered fair play, but you can still do it in tourneys. AS its a TOURNEY with MONEY involved , there are no rules.

So go ahead and practice your wall strats if u like it that way and can make it work. But, you have to look out for rushes, falcs, areas near TP line where you cant build etc etc.

P.S --> these games maybe very entertaining to watch if u can pull it off :D

Best of luck :D
Skirmisher

Post by Inst »

theoretically, with rapid wall build, you can dump walls around their TC so there's no way for their TC to come out. I'm not sure how AOE responds to this condition, though. It might be an interesting alternative way to shut down someone's forward base: have a bunch of villies build a wall around it.
Skirmisher

Post by Inst »

I mean, yes, you can't block their TC, but you can block their barracks or blockhouse.
Spain NekoBerk
Lancer
ESO: Nirket

Post by NekoBerk »

You can build a wall around India's Agra while they're aging, it will delay his push and you will gain time
"That's why we sing for these kids who don't have a thing
Except for a dream and a fuckin' rap magazine " - Eminem

"And we hate po-po
Wanna kill us dead in the street fo sho' " - Kendrick Lamar
Austria KINGofOsmane
Pro Player
ESO: KINGofOsmane

Post by KINGofOsmane »

walls :D
"Losing to Callen was the worst night of my life" Gibthedurrty 2019
"If hazza can get pr42 with team i can get pr50 with 1v1" Gibthedurrty 2018