Iroquois Semi-FF

Greece BrookG
Retired Contributor
ESO: BrookG

Iroquois Semi-FF

Post by BrookG »

Due to lack of literature on Iroquois, I decided to write this guide up. This civ has had a small representation until the previous summer tournament and The Warchief special. Considering its strength in RE and the map condition of that patch, it was easily considered a top civ. However now, things have been a bit balanced out and it doesn't look so overwhelming. I am going to present a flexible semi-FF done mostly by Garja in his games and stream.

AGE 1: Discovery Age
The age 1 is pretty standard.
Case I: If it is a 100c start or the coin treasures were easy to collect, then make market asap, gather 175c, sell for wood for longhouse (don't forget it costs 125w) and gather 50w for hunting dogs plus 25w more for the longhouse.
Case II: If it is a 100w start, gather 100w more for a trading post and make a longhouse with the travois.
The first shipment is 3 villagers. You hit age up with The Wise Woman at 15 villagers ideally at less than 3:20. And send all villagers to gather 200w for tp. Start herding your next one or two hunts. Gather more 200w if you want to add a second tp or just 75w for placer mines. It depends on the macro, your opponent's civ (aggressive/passive) and the wood treasures you found. Have 25w gathered for the 2nd longhouse. Afterwards, send 9 villagers to food and 6 to coin.

AGE 2: Colonial Age
You have 200f, 100c and 100w. The first shipment is 5 villagers. Build a warhut with travois in a defensive position and longhouse from age up resources. Gather 300c+100c given from age up. While gathering hit TC big button for 5 tomahawks. Finally, since you don't need any more coin, put all villagers on food and keep 5 tomahawks to protect you from raids. Hit age up button with The Messenger, the fast age up in less than 7 minutes. Redistribute villagers on coin at about half there and the half at food.

AGE 3: Fortress Age
In fortress you might have to make more decisions. Either send 1200 resources or unit shipments. One idea is to build a corral for musket riders and have the warhut making forest prowlers. Another is to gather 200w during age up to add corral and place a second warhut more forward to gain map control. Don't forget to add some villagers on wood for longhouse production, since you are still at 40 pop.

Remember that Elite Kanya Upgrade costs 200w and 100c, you might need them to add momentum in your army. Also, consider the stealth ability of Forest Prowlers to scout with just one unit the opponent or gain position advantage in a fight. This is roughly the build order. Iroquois is a very strong civ in age 3, where they have shipments like 5 Musket Riders, 6 and 5 Kanya Horsemen and 8 Forest Prowlers.
Correlation doesn't mean causation.
http://www.tylervigen.com/spurious-correlations

"mr.brookg go buy jeans and goto the club with somppuli" - Princeofkabul, July 2018
United States of America Sub0Winters
Crossbow
ESO: Sub0Winters

Re: Iroquois Semi-FF

Post by Sub0Winters »

Thanks for sharing :-)
Italy gamevideo113
Howdah
ESO: gamevideo113

Post by gamevideo113 »

Thanks! I think Iro is a fun civ to play, but unfortunately there aren't many guides out there...
[Some people aspire to be pr30+, some people aspire to have fun, and some people aspire to play 3v3 Deccan.] - vividlyplain - 2019 Who (nationality) rape ?
stupid logic. noob players can say op?
toxic, Insult, Racism ?
France P i k i l i c
Howdah
ESO: Pikilic
GameRanger ID: 7497456

Post by P i k i l i c »

Nice write up, thank you BrookG. Maybe someone can add this to the Strategy Wall so there is something for the Iroquois ^_^
Here are videos of Diarouga doing this BO (2 years ago)
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GFFmX2jN5ts
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1W4kucTgWcI
Consider not the one who speaks the truth, but the truth that is said

:hmm: AoE logic :hmm:
Italy Garja
Retired Contributor
Donator 02
ESO: Garja

Post by Garja »

This more like a straight FF + 5 tomas because you spare 500f anyway. Key point of this build is to age around 7 min to safely send 1200 res. That's where you get the wood for houses from. Also can buy 100w and chop 25w in transition to fortress to drop one house earlier.
Image Image Image
Greece BrookG
Retired Contributor

Post by BrookG »

The regular FF is to just send 700c first thing in age2, but with this, you go for a better eco somewhat later. Still fast indeed.

"mr.brookg go buy jeans and goto the club with somppuli" - Princeofkabul, July 2018
Russia yurashic
Howdah
ESO: Yurashic

Post by yurashic »

Age up with 14 vills if you don't build a tp in age 1.
Canada Mitoe
Advanced Theory Craftsman
ESO: Mitoe
GameRanger ID: 346407

Post by Mitoe »

Kind of building on what Yurashic said; I think the market start is awful, personally. Iroquois should almost always be able to age with 14 vills now, but gathering resources in age 1 denies this. I don’t think the market is really worth it that early if it slows down your age time (building it also means you have less time to scout with your travois), especially since you’re going to be switching almost all of your villagers to wood in transition anyway, so that hunting upgrade becomes kind of useless.

Besides, aging earlier means you can get those TPs earlier, which will speed up your build if you’re lucky enough to get an extra pass or two depending on how many TPs you make. Not to mention receiving your 5 villager shipment 25 seconds faster is going to completely compensate for the resources you missed out on by building the market a a little bit later.

Skipping the market on gold starts just seems vastly superior, IMO.
United States of America IntrepidExplorer
Musketeer
ESO: DownToBuck

Post by IntrepidExplorer »

Would you build a market with 1200 res shipment then? Cuz I thought you needed that wood for longhouses?
Greece BrookG
Retired Contributor

Post by BrookG »

It would be awesome if you guys wrote up these bo for twc. The strategy wall is lacking those

Canada Mitoe
Advanced Theory Craftsman
ESO: Mitoe
GameRanger ID: 346407

Post by Mitoe »

IntrepidExplorer wrote:Would you build a market with 1200 res shipment then? Cuz I thought you needed that wood for longhouses?

You would build it in transition or early age 2, I would imagine.
Russia yurashic
Howdah
ESO: Yurashic

Post by yurashic »

BrookG wrote:It would be awesome if you guys wrote up these bo for twc. The strategy wall is lacking those

I usually do this build:

- 100 w start - tp and 15 vill age up. No wood start - age up with 14 vills, tp in transition. Wise woman.
- Market, the food upgrade and the gold upgrade, 2 more houses, 125-250 extra wood.
- Travois into warhut, produce 2 vills then call BB, send 4 kanya and make 5-10 toma. Pressure.
- Send 5 vills then 600 g, age up with the messenger.
- Travois into stable, send 1200 res for houses and mass or chop for houses and send units.

(3v 4k 5v 600g 1200)