Only One Way To Play ?

India rsy
Jaeger
Donator 01

Re: Only One Way To Play ?

Post by rsy »

Aye dude @potato hella nice profile pic. Ignore diarouga he's a troll.

I remember the first time I beat ai on medium I was crazy happy dude. Then I looked up the internet for some tips and found the Indian 10/10. I'd say look up the strategy wall, find build orders for your civilization of choice and practice it till u get some decent basic mechanics and beat hard ai and then move on to eso and online play.

Also check out interjection's YouTube channel. He's got some really good games on there with high quality commentary it will make your experience better. Most of all, stay chill and enjoy my dude!!
No Flag deleted_user
Ninja

Post by deleted_user »

@potato broke the game, goodspeed nerf 6 longbows.
Norway spanky4ever
Gendarme
iwillspankyou

Post by spanky4ever »

1000 wais to play and no META stay as a sure thing!
Hippocrits are the worst of animals. I love elifants.
India Ashvin
Retired Contributor
ESO: Octanium

Post by Ashvin »

To all people bashing rouga, he says "he thinks" potato is troll. So now you guys will attack people if he has observations different from you? I think OP post is even worse than what I was when I FIRST played this game. And if there's a community full of trolls, some will suspect random people asking such question as trolls.
India rsy
Jaeger
Donator 01

Post by rsy »

potato wrote:
Kaiserklein wrote:Why are you trying to go age 5 and get all upgrades, if you can win earlier? You should maybe just keep rushing, and play hard/expert AI, instead of medium.

Because I like to defend :roll:

I enjoy that play style. Which is why I made this post asking if I'm trying to fit a square peg into a round hole with this game. I played AOE 1 years ago online. I still have nightmares of being rushed.

If you're getting stampeded post imperial while having too many resources, try playing some deathmatches my dude
France Kaiserklein
Pro Player
GameRanger ID: 5529322

Post by Kaiserklein »

Ashvin wrote:To all people bashing rouga, he says "he thinks" potato is troll. So now you guys will attack people if he has observations different from you? I think OP post is even worse than what I was when I FIRST played this game. And if there's a community full of trolls, some will suspect random people asking such question as trolls.

It doesn't take long to check the guy's posts through his profile and see that he posted legit stuff. Plus it's just rude to call someone new to the forums a troll, without any good reason. Doesn't really feel welcoming I think.
LoOk_tOm wrote:I have something in particular against Kaisar (GERMANY NOOB mercenary LAMME FOREVER) And the other people (noobs) like suck kaiser ... just this ..
India Ashvin
Retired Contributor

Post by Ashvin »

Kaiserklein wrote:
Ashvin wrote:To all people bashing rouga, he says "he thinks" potato is troll. So now you guys will attack people if he has observations different from you? I think OP post is even worse than what I was when I FIRST played this game. And if there's a community full of trolls, some will suspect random people asking such question as trolls.

It doesn't take long to check the guy's posts through his profile and see that he posted legit stuff. Plus it's just rude to call someone new to the forums a troll, without any good reason. Doesn't really feel welcoming I think.

There are a few smurfs of users known, Laurence Drake, for example, has Le_Dragon iirc. So people who already have an account here make smurfs from time to time, there can be a possibility of anyone making a smurf and post troll stuff. I agree that it's not welcoming, but every goddamn user of this site does not need to tell that to him. One said is enough.
No Flag deleted_user0
Ninja

Post by deleted_user0 »

Tsk, tsk, Rouga. Not very welcoming of you!
France [Armag] diarouga
Ninja
NWC LAN Gold
ESO: diarouga

Post by [Armag] diarouga »

I don't know, a guy asking about how to beat a medium AI looks like a troll to me.
Australia Hazza54321
Pro Player
Winter Champion 2020 x2Donator 01
ESO: PrinceofBabu

Post by Hazza54321 »

dont listen to diarouga hes just the community troll
United States of America _H2O
ESOC Business Team
Donator 06
ESO: _H2O

Post by _H2O »

In these cases linking to videos of multiplayer play and guides help more than anything. This guy needs resources to read and watch.
Austria supahons
Dragoon
ESO: supahons

Post by supahons »

if you want to play defensively:
deck: villagercards, 700c, 1000w, the rest should be permanent upgrade cards (building hp, advanced arsenal, unit and mill/plantation upgrades, 1 infinite card if you play too long)
fast fortress (ff) with villagershipments + 700c, build 3 towncenters with the 1000w, max villagers, build single pillar walls in front to slow the bot down (they just attack everything) and 1-2 layers of wall behind
units (with european civs): musk (allround unit to protect the cannons/siege, 75f/25c) (vs cav) or dragoon (stronger/faster but less siege dmg, 90f/90c) (vs cav/artillery)+ falconet/ later horseartillery (vs inf), add a few culvs against the cannonspam.

viewtopic.php?f=29&t=14735 rush-guide and some tips (i probably should finish/update it :hmm:)
Netherlands momuuu
Ninja
ESO: Jerom_

Post by momuuu »

The real answer is that there are many ways to play and that in fact the AI is really weak. The funny thing is that once you increase the challenge to for example 1v2 or 1v3 expert AI, then there is realistically only one way to play and ironically that's exactly what you're struggling with: The key to beating 3 expert AIs is turtling very heavily and outvaluing their endless waves of relatively inefficient armies until you finally stabilize and have spare resources for an offense.

So to play lategame there's multiple things you need to learn:
- Learn to produce villagers constantly. Maxing out villagers turns out to be optimal and it turns out you should try to never stop villager production.
- Learn the counter system. The AI actually makes very weird/weak armies that can easily be countered by for example Musketeers + falconets.
- Try to improve your army control, you can perform much and much better in fights than the AI can if you get good at it.

If you do these three things you'll be able to field a strong army and use it to outplay the AI by a lot. Their armies won't even do as much as scratch yours.
United States of America godzillaking
Skirmisher
Donator 03

Post by godzillaking »

Brits is a good choice if you like to play defensive.

If you are getting swarmed late make sure you are building enough production buildings. That way you can spam out a bunch of units at once.
Tuvalu gibson
Ninja
ECL Reigning Champs

Post by gibson »

[Armag] diarouga wrote:I don't know, a guy asking about how to beat a medium AI looks like a troll to me.

Not everyone has tryharded this game for 1000 hours like the nerds on this forum. There are people who play games casually, no need to be so arrogant.
No Flag Djigit
Howdah

Post by Djigit »

gibson wrote:
[Armag] diarouga wrote:I don't know, a guy asking about how to beat a medium AI looks like a troll to me.

Not everyone has tryharded this game for 1000 hours like the nerds on this forum. There are people who play games casually, no need to be so arrogant.
Honestly I thought he was trolling too lol
No Flag kami_ryu
Retired Contributor

Post by kami_ryu »

gibson wrote:

aging and making units wins vs medium AI though lol
Tuvalu gibson
Ninja
ECL Reigning Champs

Post by gibson »

kami_ryu wrote:
gibson wrote:

aging and making units wins vs medium AI though lol
You forget youre dealing with players who dont make vils and have equal vil distribution in age 1
No Flag Jaeger
Jaeger

Post by Jaeger »

potato wrote:
Gendarme wrote:Keep training settlers constantly until you reach maximum (99 settlers). Then just make sure your settlers are working and not idle while you make the unit of your choice. I don't think you need to be any fancier than that to beat medium AI.

I beat medium easily ( as your supposed to), when I rush early.

When I don't rush, I only get to about 70 villagers.( I will try 99). I end up with 20k+ of each resource, plus max population before the swarm arrives. Slowly but surely get run over.

I used to do the exact same thing; I would say 70 vills is enough, I have such a big eco now, I want the population space for military. But once you try 99 it's sooo much better
last time i cryed was because i stood on Legoļ»æ
No Flag Jaeger
Jaeger

Post by Jaeger »

@potato I enjoy to play vs the computer sometimes, if you want we can play a game together. My username on ESO is Ovi12, what's yours?

Oh and to answer your question. If I understood correctly:

Question: I like to play defensive and not rush. Is it possible to win while doing this?

Answer: Yes, this is a guaranteed way to win. In fact as you increase the difficulty and the number of bots, it's the only way to win.
last time i cryed was because i stood on Legoļ»æ
Bhutan jgals
Lancer
ESO: OstiferButthole

Post by jgals »

potato wrote:So I have been building up the level for Britain. Playing medium difficulty. It seems to me there is only one way to play. Get the card for 6 archers. Rush their area, and kill and harass their villagers. = Cheese. I can go afk and come back to the game and maybe find the AI has quit.

If I stay at home and build economy, I get swarm after swarm of the enemy hitting me. Eventually it overwhelms me.

I have even tried the 6 archer cheese. Then built up and leveled to 5. I take the majority of the gold/wood on the map. Build layers of walls. Upgrade everything. Build to max pop and wait for the AI to slowly recover. Eventually they rebuild and head my way. Same thing. Swarm after swarm and they eventually overrun me.

Hopefully I'm missing something because both options starting to bore me.

Basically I think I know what is going on hereā€¦ You are terrible at this game compared to most of the people on this one website but thatā€™s OK because so Am I . Basically you are able to win with 6 lb because The AI is so bad that I will not train two hussars to kill them. It would probably just send wave after wave of pikemen and you will just shoot them down. Meanwhile you were getting there villagers it is also easy for you because you only have to worry about controlling six units and as long as you can continue dealing with what they sent to you which will not be very much on medium difficulty you donā€™t even have to boom very much to continue growing your army and win it would probably just send wave after wave of pikemen and you will just shoot them down. Meanwhile you were getting there villagers it is also easy for you because you only have to worry about controlling six units and as long as you can continue dealing with what they sent to you which will not be very much on medium difficulty you donā€™t even have to boom very much to continue growing your army and win . Try doing this against anyone in a real game online and you will get slaughtered very quickly. Even a subpar player should be able to be the aion expert a lot of people be two or more I can beAt seven on ceylon by cheesing the terrible boat Ai . On expert I sometimes feel you have to all in the ai to win with some civs, or rush like you described or even harder because the AI gets insane gather and shipments boosts but at the same time they use no upgrades for military a lot of the time
United States of America Papist
Retired Contributor
Donator 03
ESO: Papist

Post by Papist »

Welcome to ESOC @potato, we're happy to have you.

If you're looking for specific strategy tips, you can post questions here or check out some of the posts on the ESOC Strategy Wall (viewtopic.php?f=29&t=9169). If you're looking for for more general gameplay or mechanical tips, @VeniVidiViciW put together a couple of great tutorials a few years back. You can find them here (#22, 23, 24 on the playlist): https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=P ... fmzqnKsF46

Good luck! :flowers:
The function of man is to live, not to exist.
India Ashvin
Retired Contributor

Post by Ashvin »

gibson wrote:

No one has to try hard at this game for even 10 hours to beat AI. I started playing in winters of 2015 and I remember beating expert nilla ai in just 3-4 hours. All I did was read the wiki of my units and civ.
Brazil macacoalbino
Howdah
ESO: MacacoAlbino
Clan: 3Huss

Post by macacoalbino »

@potato

When you reach this point in the game do you have 200/200 pop?

Also, when game goes that long, usually you want to have many production buildings in order to replace the units that die real quick. Also place them close to where you want to fight, in order to diminish the reinforcement time.

Besides that, dont forget to research the church upgrades to train infantry and cavalry faster.
And lastly, I hope that at this point in the game you are fully transitioned into mills and plantations with every upgrade possible

United States of America Papist
Retired Contributor
Donator 03
ESO: Papist

Post by Papist »

One of the keys to beating the AI is learning its quirks and exploiting them. For example, if you attack the AIā€™s villagers (even with your explorer), they will all run back to the TC to garrison. This is an easy way to get an eco lead (idles the AIā€™s eco), especially if you are playing against a higher level AI that gets a gather rate handicap, and it requires almost no effort from you. Later in the game, you can literally move your entire army between the AIā€™s vils and its base and kill them all, since it wonā€™t move them until they are attacked.

Little things like this, along with a solid build order, will make beating the EXPERT AI a cakewalk; you can only imagine how easy it will be to beat the medium one.
The function of man is to live, not to exist.