Need an easy strategy for new player

No Flag Mordor
Crossbow

Need an easy strategy for new player

Post by Mordor »

What civ and tips on where to begin. I suck and can't play well at all if anyone has tips that would be great.
United States of America evilcheadar
Gendarme

Re: Need an easy strategy for new player

Post by evilcheadar »

I've got one, pm me for deets.
A post not made is a post given away

A slushie a day keeps the refill thread at bay

Jackson Pollock was the best poster to ever to post on these forums
United States of America Cometk
Retired Contributor

Post by Cometk »

@Mordor Hi bud, we have an excellent strategy wall here full of guides on how to play every civilization. A classic recommendation is to play French, as they're a very flexible civilization that have build orders in both Age 2 and Age 3 and have all the core unit types. Here is also a good intro to the game and online multiplayer in general written by site. And to top it off, here are some video guides - the first one is a must-watch for any RTS player, and the second one is for when you want to learn a few more advanced tricks.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ob1iYKiwiho& https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uTRNXJHsLNA&
United States of America Papist
Retired Contributor
Donator 03
ESO: Papist

Post by Papist »

Hey there, welcome to ESOC!

If you're new to the game, France is typically what people recommend you start with. They are a very versatile civ, and can adapt to basically anything. Their villagers are also stronger and better than normal villagers, making them a bit more forgiving for people just learning how to manage an economy and deal with raids. You can find resources related to them on our strategy wall (viewtopic.php?f=29&t=9169) along with a bunch of other stuff that is geared towards new players.

Edit: Dang, @Cometk beat me to it.
The function of man is to live, not to exist.
No Flag Mordor
Crossbow

Post by Mordor »

This game seems to be more complex than I thought
Czech Republic Googol
Retired Contributor
ESO: Butifle

Post by Googol »

Start with ottos, they're one of the easiest civs to play if not the easiest and once you feel you can handle other civs, start switching to France slowly.
United States of America Papist
Retired Contributor
Donator 03
ESO: Papist

Post by Papist »

Googol wrote:Start with ottos, they're one of the easiest civs to play if not the easiest and once you feel you can handle other civs, start switching to France slowly.

Why switch at all? Not like you can go wrong with otto ;) Just go double rax jan rush every game - should get you to 1st lieut in no time.
The function of man is to live, not to exist.
Uzbekistan DjinnOfSorrow
Dragoon
ESO: WS6AR

Post by DjinnOfSorrow »

Don't go otto, you will spoil yourself and won't really be ready to play as any other civ down the road. France would be a great start. Learn to double rax rush with france and learn to semi ff. A rush is before 6 mins and a semi ff is before ten lol. Even currently at Ms when others my rank plan to rush and only pop 5 musk by 6 mins I just want to throttle them.
Czech Republic Googol
Retired Contributor

Post by Googol »

Papist wrote:
Googol wrote:Start with ottos, they're one of the easiest civs to play if not the easiest and once you feel you can handle other civs, start switching to France slowly.

Why switch at all? Not like you can go wrong with otto ;) Just go double rax jan rush every game - should get you to 1st lieut in no time.

Ottomans are a no Brainer, to be good at this game you have to be able to adapt to your opponent and learn the build orders. Not just 2 rax Jan every game
Uzbekistan DjinnOfSorrow
Dragoon

Post by DjinnOfSorrow »

Just pick a nation and run for it awhile. There are good strats for all of them. But yeah avoid otto and probably iro. Learn to have a bit of variety to your army, to raid, and to manage your eco. Don't worry about trying to click something every 2 seconds and stay off mills and plantations as long as possible.
Uzbekistan DjinnOfSorrow
Dragoon

Post by DjinnOfSorrow »

Googol wrote:
Papist wrote:

Ottomans are a no Brainer, to be good at this game you have to be able to adapt to your opponent and learn the build orders. Not just 2 rax Jan every game

After the pure jan rush and jan/abus or jan/hussar rushes I can think of other civs that are way easier especially at lower levels.
Czech Republic Googol
Retired Contributor

Post by Googol »

DjinnOfSorrow wrote:
Googol wrote:
Show hidden quotes

After the pure jan rush and jan/abus or jan/hussar rushes I can think of other civs that are way easier especially at lower levels.

It's just the fact that if the guy does these rushes, he's gonna hop into bigger levels asap and meet better players in order to learn from them if he wants to. There isn't much a difference between PR 40 Otto and pr 30 in case of doing these rushes.
Armenia Sargsyan
Jaeger
Donator 01
ESO: lamergamer
Clan: c0ns

Post by Sargsyan »

Googol wrote:
DjinnOfSorrow wrote:
Show hidden quotes

It's just the fact that if the guy does these rushes, he's gonna hop into bigger levels asap and meet better players in order to learn from them if he wants to. There isn't much a difference between PR 40 Otto and pr 30 in case of doing these rushes.

Theres clearly 10 pr difference if im not mistaken
krichk wrote:For some reason, you want the world to know that you're brave enough to challenge Challenger_Marco
Uzbekistan DjinnOfSorrow
Dragoon

Post by DjinnOfSorrow »

Until he runs into a russian player that will shut it down or should or dutch or iro lol. At that point he/she will have to learn other strats.
Armenia Sargsyan
Jaeger
Donator 01

Post by Sargsyan »

DjinnOfSorrow wrote:Until he runs into a russian player that will shut it down or should or dutch or iro lol. At that point he/she will have to learn other strats.

Yes exactly that is what gonna happen in the near future of 2018, cuz lamming otto is bad
krichk wrote:For some reason, you want the world to know that you're brave enough to challenge Challenger_Marco
Uzbekistan DjinnOfSorrow
Dragoon

Post by DjinnOfSorrow »

Lol I get accused of laming no matter what civ I use. Same with being accused of cheating or hacking and I actually suck at this game.
Spain Snuden
Jaeger
ESO: Snuden

Post by Snuden »

British 11 pike, 2 TP semi FF?
[Sith] - Baphomet
Armenia Sargsyan
Jaeger
Donator 01

Post by Sargsyan »

Snuden wrote:British 11 pike, 2 TP semi FF?

Thats a cheesy strat, but french grenadier ff beats it :/
Uzbekistan DjinnOfSorrow
Dragoon

Post by DjinnOfSorrow »

No cheesy is a 2v2 with otto/german rushing abus/dopp
Armenia Sargsyan
Jaeger
Donator 01

Post by Sargsyan »

DjinnOfSorrow wrote:No cheesy is a 2v2 with otto/german rushing abus/dopp

Yeah abusing abus/dopp is dope!
Uzbekistan DjinnOfSorrow
Dragoon

Post by DjinnOfSorrow »

Yeah its a good way to get people crying for more nerfs. Anyways op just go france. Learn to double rax musk rush and xbox/pike rush then learn to ff. Just working on timings and learn to manage your eco. Go watch some of interjections old videos, Im guessing I can say that if not correct me. Just avoid the gimicky nations starting out amd get a grasp of the fundamentals.
Armenia Sargsyan
Jaeger
Donator 01

Post by Sargsyan »

U can ezlee win with samwise build up to a master sergeant level, so id reccomend to learn that build order too
Uzbekistan DjinnOfSorrow
Dragoon

Post by DjinnOfSorrow »

Yes that should easily get you to ms. Just make sure to learn why you are doing things instead of just following the script.
Turkey HUMMAN
Lancer
ESO: HUMMAN

Post by HUMMAN »

Rush.