Clicks per minute

Uzbekistan DjinnOfSorrow
Dragoon
ESO: WS6AR

Clicks per minute

Post by DjinnOfSorrow »

So what is with the clicks per minute strategy some players have? Does clicking the same spot 5 times make your explorer run faster because if so thats op lol. I am curious though because watching some of the streams most higher levels have more clicks in the first minute then I do all game. Is it just keeping your mind and fingers at full throttle until combat so you stay at that peak the point? Maybe that is my missing part of my macro, that and blowdrying my hands between matches.
Sweden Gendarme
Gendarme
Donator 03
ESO: Gendarme

Re: Clicks per minute

Post by Gendarme »

Not sure about the reason. Possibly just to keep your APM more constant and be in the flow permanently.
Pay more attention to detail.
Uzbekistan DjinnOfSorrow
Dragoon

Post by DjinnOfSorrow »

That was my thought too. I guess I am just used to a more relaxed approach. But I also am not very micro focused and prefer to rely on having a better unit composition and placement among other things to win.
Italy Garja
Retired Contributor
Donator 02
ESO: Garja

Post by Garja »

Yes warm up / keep alert state and also somewhat avoid any input skip from lag.
Image Image Image
Sweden Gendarme
Gendarme
Donator 03
ESO: Gendarme

Post by Gendarme »

Actually it makes you faster/more accurate too. If you want to send your explorer to point X, you can first click on a point that is faster to click between your explorer and X so that he starts walking until your cursor reaches that point. Furthermore, if X is on your screen and head for it straight ahead, you'll still ignore accuracy and go for full speed; you will have time to be more accurate once your cursor is somewhere near X and your explorer has started walking towards X+Δ. One other situation is where you do not have a destination, but have a direction (e.g. when you are trying to run away from the enemy explorer), in which case you incrementally change X so that you can see your explorer change direction as you click. You don't have time to try to calculate where to click for your explorer to walk in the perfect direction.

Doing this with your explorer every game probably turns into a habit and you then do it when it's absolutely not needed, which completely ruins your units' positioning sometimes—at least for me. I keep commanding my troops to walk somewhere random even though they are already positioned perfectly and ruin everything, simply because of this habit.
Pay more attention to detail.
Austria supahons
Dragoon
ESO: supahons

Post by supahons »

I think they just correct their unit direction more often. Some additional advantages:
+ If you click on the villagers eg after they have shot a deer you can skip the animation and they can gather faster.
+ You definitely avoid being lazy and focus more --> racing car mentality vs a relaxed approach ;)
Bavaria Gichtenlord
Howdah
Donator 03

Post by Gichtenlord »

Like the go' ol' metis said: it's a macro, because it's physically not possible to click that fast
r]
Uzbekistan DjinnOfSorrow
Dragoon

Post by DjinnOfSorrow »

True the input lag is frustrating so I could see it helping that. Apm was a starcraft thing right? Never really noticed it being a thing on any other rts.

As far as getting my explorer moving I prefer to bump click the minimap the direction I want him going then reclick on the target once it is in my fov. I get keeping up the little micro things and I want to get better but sometimes its like they are trying to chew a whole back of doritos at once through the mic. Just click clack crack over and over for 60 seconds, hell Id have carpel tunel
Portugal Kazamkikaz
Dragoon
ESO: Kazamkikaz

Post by Kazamkikaz »

H2O's clicks is completely fine, helps keep playing faster for decisive moments like fight in 1 timing, defending with small army and vills etc if you play slowly in macro moments when you have to clicks alot and focus on micro you just keep slower, but i advice you don't click alot with vills to same spot when you are trying run from your opponent's raid cause the villagers will try make a better group, pomping each other and reset animation, so you just slow down your moviment to town center LOL
My Youtube channel

"If you can't win the fight
don't take the fight"-Aizamk 2016
Uzbekistan DjinnOfSorrow
Dragoon

Post by DjinnOfSorrow »

So the better grouping function on vils, does it effect cav the same? Or is their pathing going to be a bit clumsy either way?
France [Armag] diarouga
Ninja
NWC LAN Gold
ESO: diarouga

Post by [Armag] diarouga »

Uzbekistan DjinnOfSorrow
Dragoon

Post by DjinnOfSorrow »

[Armag] diarouga wrote:https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gTcdPlk1cds

Pig explains why at 14min

I will have to check it when I get back on wifi. Full bars and the damned thing won't stop buffering. Pos lg
Czech Republic Googol
Retired Contributor
ESO: Butifle

Post by Googol »

@hleung what are your clicks per minute? Both in aoe and eu4? :hmm:
Portugal Kazamkikaz
Dragoon
ESO: Kazamkikaz

Post by Kazamkikaz »

DjinnOfSorrow wrote:So the better grouping function on vils, does it effect cav the same? Or is their pathing going to be a bit clumsy either way?

Villagers don't have group formation like army does, but if you take a look when you are raiding with 3 cav for example, and vills start moving, you have to move cav always closer to specific villager, otherwise you just will hit new villager who is close to your cavs.

Of cource you can make good group/micro for cav to example kill light infantry properly, i tried once puting low Hit point cav back or in 1 side by make few clicks and it doesn't work automaticaly
My Youtube channel

"If you can't win the fight
don't take the fight"-Aizamk 2016
Brazil macacoalbino
Howdah
ESO: MacacoAlbino
Clan: 3Huss

Post by macacoalbino »

I was gonna quote this video as well. You beat me to it.
But yeah, despite sc2 being a game way fazter than aoe3 the concept is the same

Uzbekistan DjinnOfSorrow
Dragoon

Post by DjinnOfSorrow »

Kazamkikaz wrote:
DjinnOfSorrow wrote:So the better grouping function on vils, does it effect cav the same? Or is their pathing going to be a bit clumsy either way?

Villagers don't have group formation like army does, but if you take a look when you are raiding with 3 cav for example, and vills start moving, you have to move cav always closer to specific villager, otherwise you just will hit new villager who is close to your cavs.

Of cource you can make good group/micro for cav to example kill light infantry properly, i tried once puting low Hit point cav back or in 1 side by make few clicks and it doesn't work automaticaly

Yes I have noticed that and have to adjust for it, I was curious if it helped the oddball stumbling that can occur in larger groups of cav.
Uzbekistan DjinnOfSorrow
Dragoon

Post by DjinnOfSorrow »

macacoalbino wrote:

I was gonna quote this video as well. You beat me to it.
But yeah, despite sc2 being a game way fazter than aoe3 the concept is the same

I thought so. Starcraft never was on my game list as a kid. Rts wise it was aoe, aoe2, empire earth 1 and 2, red alert 1 and 2 then many years later ruse. None of which I can remember being very click intensive and yes I am that old lol
Brazil macacoalbino
Howdah
ESO: MacacoAlbino
Clan: 3Huss

Post by macacoalbino »

DjinnOfSorrow wrote:As far as getting my explorer moving I prefer to bump click the minimap the direction I want him going then reclick on the target once it is in my fov.

The reason you do that eithout the minimap is that its way faster. Your mouse is sitting near the center of the screen for the most part, when you want to move explorer, you hit his key then do a general move towards the direction you want him to start moving, then you’ll think about where to go exactly. In the end it’s just a way of being more efficient while spending spare apm

France Kaiserklein
Pro Player
GameRanger ID: 5529322

Post by Kaiserklein »

You don't actually need to spam clicks @DjinnOfSorrow , it's pretty useless, unless it's lagging
LoOk_tOm wrote:I have something in particular against Kaisar (GERMANY NOOB mercenary LAMME FOREVER) And the other people (noobs) like suck kaiser ... just this ..
Uzbekistan DjinnOfSorrow
Dragoon

Post by DjinnOfSorrow »

macacoalbino wrote:
DjinnOfSorrow wrote:As far as getting my explorer moving I prefer to bump click the minimap the direction I want him going then reclick on the target once it is in my fov.

The reason you do that eithout the minimap is that its way faster. Your mouse is sitting near the center of the screen for the most part, when you want to move explorer, you hit his key then do a general move towards the direction you want him to start moving, then you’ll think about where to go exactly. In the end it’s just a way of being more efficient while spending spare apm

In combat perhaps but usually if I am moving him im piddling with other stuff and just quickly swapping over to put him on another task. Maybe that points more to my inefficient use of all the hotkeys since only a handful are set from the old days.

Edit: this was pointed at my mouse cursor is never in the middle lol
Australia Hazza54321
Pro Player
Winter Champion 2020 x2Donator 01
ESO: PrinceofBabu

Post by Hazza54321 »

people who care about how much they click tend to play worse by spamming useless clicks. They dont prioritise it at their own pace
Uzbekistan DjinnOfSorrow
Dragoon

Post by DjinnOfSorrow »

So I think so far this has been good. Plenty of useful advice for us plebs in the lower rank. Stay alert, no need to over click but useful in some cases(especially lag), keep a hair dryer by your computer and little micro tips to get my explorer and other units on target faster. Thanks everyone. Im sure I will have something else strategy wise soon. Any other useful tips would be great.
Uzbekistan DjinnOfSorrow
Dragoon

Post by DjinnOfSorrow »

Actually who is it that keeps a hair dryer for between matches? Lol I heard that on an older esoc stream the other day.
India guyshir
Skirmisher
Donator 01
ESO: guyshir

Post by guyshir »

DjinnOfSorrow wrote:Actually who is it that keeps a hair dryer for between matches? Lol I heard that on an older esoc stream the other day.

LordRaphael
Uzbekistan DjinnOfSorrow
Dragoon

Post by DjinnOfSorrow »

guyshir wrote:
DjinnOfSorrow wrote:Actually who is it that keeps a hair dryer for between matches? Lol I heard that on an older esoc stream the other day.

LordRaphael

Yeah that is who I thought Thanks