Low hunt maps

Uzbekistan DjinnOfSorrow
Dragoon
ESO: WS6AR

Low hunt maps

Post by DjinnOfSorrow »

Website for a strategy game so I figured I would try to liven up the strategy board with some questions. Ok so we all know mills are horrible and once you start running out of hunts the transition to mills is a risky point. On low hunt maps would it be beneficial to start planning the transition versus hitting that "oh hell" moment. Cards that boost mills that are rarely seen especially at low pr in standard matches, do they deserve another look in this case or still not worth it since it would interfere with build orders a lot?
Italy Garja
Retired Contributor
Donator 02
ESO: Garja

Re: Low hunt maps

Post by Garja »

You do have a food/mill upgrade in the deck usually. Just you send when you're about to switch or have just started switching to mills.
Image Image Image
Uzbekistan DjinnOfSorrow
Dragoon

Post by DjinnOfSorrow »

Was trying to think of a good question lol. Heat exhaustion is catching up with me apparently. Reread and yeah ignore it if you wish.
Great Britain WickedCossack
Retired Contributor

Post by WickedCossack »

Ironically the lower hunt a map has the more you want to avoid making a mill transition.

Making the transition from hunts to mills is so costly that if:
i) You don't already have a significant eco
Or
ii) Your opponent is also making the transition
You will get punished to the point where you will probably lose the game.

On high hunt maps the mill transition will happen when you both are on huge 75+ vil ecos where 400w isn't necessarily a big deal. On low hunt maps your eco isn't huge and 400w is a killer, especially if the enemy is exploiting remaining hunt on the map at a higher gather rate.

I'd reccomend not planning for it, maybe the opposite! Plan to avoid it and if it has to happen then ... well hopefully your opponent has to do the same and it is what it is.
Uzbekistan DjinnOfSorrow
Dragoon

Post by DjinnOfSorrow »

Or plan on going mills early and be an ass and kill all the hunts on the map
Uzbekistan DjinnOfSorrow
Dragoon

Post by DjinnOfSorrow »

WickedCossack wrote:Ironically the lower hunt a map has the more you want to avoid making a mill transition.

Or

On high hunt maps the mill transition will happen when you both are on huge 75+ vil ecos where 400w isn't necessarily a big deal. On low hunt maps your eco isn't huge and 400w is a killer, especially if the enemy is exploiting remaining hunt on the map at a higher gather rate.

I'd reccomend not planning for it, maybe the opposite! Plan to avoid it and if it has to happen then ... well hopefully your opponent has to do the same and it is what it is.

Not blowing off what you said in general I agree but was wondering if it was worth a revisit. I've watched several of you all play matches and know good yall are, hell thats why Im here lol. Thanks for the advice after I kicked it around in my head a few minutes I already knew the answer. Was just trying to think of things outside the current meta that may be worth another look. So far nada haha
France [Armag] diarouga
Ninja
NWC LAN Gold
ESO: diarouga

Post by [Armag] diarouga »

DjinnOfSorrow wrote:Or plan on going mills early and be an ass and kill all the hunts on the map

No? If you can kill the hunts on the map, just gather from it lol.
No Flag deleted_user0
Ninja

Post by deleted_user0 »

WickedCossack wrote:Ironically the lower hunt a map has the more you want to avoid making a mill transition.

Or

you clearly have never seen khorix vs kynesie on deccan!. Your entire thesis... right out the window!
Uzbekistan DjinnOfSorrow
Dragoon

Post by DjinnOfSorrow »

Ok I have had my cup of coffee and a good nights sleep. I think what I was going for here was looking at what upgrades to mills it would require to be as good gather rate as with hunting. I fiddled with different economic options years ago and was just rethinking all of them. But most of the other options are more long term investment with minimal or no payout at the moment but in 10 mins. I assume that is why I quit playing with them since most of my matches would be over well before the payout.