Of the expansion civilizations, which has the best artillery?

No Flag DracoWolfgand
Skirmisher

Of the expansion civilizations, which has the best artillery?

Post by DracoWolfgand »

You know, I was looking at the expansion civilizations, and, while they have very diverse and interesting plaiyng styles, one thing that I notice that they all have in common... Is that, compared to European Civilizations, their artillery is horrible :p. I mean, two out of six dont even get artillery units. So, I thought I should ask the question: Of these civilizations, with their poor artillery... Which gets the-Best-Artillery unit.

My own personal favourite would have to be the Iroquois with the Light Cannon. The Light Cannon is kind of the "Jack of all trades" of artillery: It is not as mobile as the Horse Artillery, but its ability to switch between limber and bombard mode almost instantly make it also usable as part of a "raiding party" that can retreat relatively quickly: It doesnt hit nearly as hard as the Heavy Cannon, but it still hits pretty decently hard: And although its range is shorter then the Culverin, it can still kill most artillery units before they get a chance to fire. Unfortunatelly, its jack-of-all-trades nature is also its weakness, as by the end of the day, the European artillery units are still better at their respective roles, making the Light Cannon by the end of the day just a inferior replacement to the units it seeks to replace: And plus, it is only avaliable on the Industrial Age. Still, it is a interesting unit, and in my opinion, still better then what the other expansion civilizations get.
France Kaiserklein
Pro Player
GameRanger ID: 5529322

Re: Of the expansion civilizations, which has the best artillery?

Post by Kaiserklein »

Japan with flaming arrows. Light cannons are available in age 4 so they're often irrelevant
LoOk_tOm wrote:I have something in particular against Kaisar (GERMANY NOOB mercenary LAMME FOREVER) And the other people (noobs) like suck kaiser ... just this ..
Canada Mitoe
Advanced Theory Craftsman
ESO: Mitoe
GameRanger ID: 346407

Post by Mitoe »

Flaming Arrows are probably the best just because they are available in Fortress, as Kaiser mentioned.

Otherwise, Flying Crows and Light Cannons might be better.
Holy See Imperial Noob
Lancer

Post by Imperial Noob »

Japan has flaming arrows and morutarus... -> most reliable, and with flaming arrows being available early and easy to mass... they usually have a very good artillery component to their armies.
China has great HCs (and other consulate artillery, thanks to 3 artillery upgrade cards) and the Crows. Also flamethrowers and hand mortars. All of them have logistical problems.

China should be the one with the best artillery, it just doesn't need to rely on it considering the current balance, so we do not see many hand mortars for countering artillery or flamethrowers for countering infantry.
Canada dansil92
Retired Contributor
ESO: dansil92

Post by dansil92 »

Light cannons should be the best with their crazy good range, default multiplier against other artillery, decent damage against infantry and buildings, and excellent anti-ship capabilities, but as was already mentioned- they are exclusively an industrial age unit that does not even shadow tech either, you gotta upgrade it to field gun as well. The lack of limber//bombard modes is a huge plus but also really highlights the weakness of iroquois units. Slow, powerful and fragile. If you ever even get to industrial in a 1v1 as iro i mean like yeah go ahead and train them but I've seen it once before myself. Team games they are very very good and that shouldn't be forgotten.

Japan has flaming arrows and i just wanna say that they are absolutely the worst artillery piece. They barely do any splash damage and have an absolutely pitiful base attack. They have basically no hitpoints and are SO SLOW. Also they dont even gain their mulitplier against artillery until they are upgraded in industrial. Maybe I'm a terrible player but honestly you can just put your infantry in stagger mode and just right click. They have like no hitpoints. Flaming arrows are so bad. If it wasn't for their insane range they would be worthless. They are, however an age 3 unit and since japan has access to bottomless coin from shrines as well as a musk unit they can be quite powerful later on as they have good upgrades and shipments for them which helps significantly.
Morutaru are quite good and generally underrated. But as a mortar unit are very niche, rarely used outside of team games/ treaty, etc.

Flying crows are really really good, shadow teching every single age with a full 3 upgrade cards and an infinite shipment to back it up, but very rarely seen in 1v1s in numbers greater than 1 or 2. They fall somewhere between a congreve rocket and a great bombard in terms of dps, speed, etc. They just can only be built from a single wonder or shipped. Not that you should ever really try to play age 2 as china but it is technically a colonial unit which can be noteworthy in some circumstances.
Hand mortars. UGH. Cost too much wood, fire too slow, and useless against anything except artillery and buildings- but even then only if they are massed. Its like an arrow knight with half the attack and even slower with an even worse animation. At least they only take up 1 pop and are decent siege units later game when carded.
China gets very good (the best?) Heavy cannon when produced in the russian consulate factory or trained at the german consulate. They are upgraded (nerfed on ep iirc) with your artillery cards as well on a unit with insane base stats (and 10% consulate stat boost) making them very very powerful. Similarly they can obtain falconets from the british consulate which upgrade the same way and shadowtech as you age.
Flamethrowers are technically infantry but for the record are one of the most overpowered and hardest scaling units in the game (upgrades nerfed on ep btw) when massed, they are just expensive, don't shadowtech, trained at the castle, short ranged and require anticav to cover them (something china just doesnt have unless they ship manchu). They also have the advantage of being able to switch from siege to firing almost instantly and do very well against buildings and any infanty heavy combos like xbow-pike or urumi-sepoy. Just not abus guns dont try that it doesnt end well.

India has siege elephants which are particularly powerful in terms of raw hp and range but in practice are very(!) expensive and take up a lot of population. Also they are only good against other artillery pieces they become a huge waste of resources and pop if your opponent doesn't have any artillery or exposed fb. Also that they are hard countered by skirmishers doesnt help much either as they dominate fortress play anyways.
India also has consulate falcs but usually does not use them.

Tldr: china has the best artillery but never use it, japan has terrible artillery but actually can use it.
Holy See Imperial Noob
Lancer

Post by Imperial Noob »

dansil92 wrote:Light cannons should be the best with their crazy good range, default multiplier against other artillery, decent damage against infantry and buildings, and excellent anti-ship capabilities, but as was already mentioned- they are exclusively an industrial age unit that does not even shadow tech either, you gotta upgrade it to field gun as well. The lack of limber//bombard modes is a huge plus but also really highlights the weakness of iroquois units. Slow, powerful and fragile. If you ever even get to industrial in a 1v1 as iro i mean like yeah go ahead and train them but I've seen it once before myself. Team games they are very very good and that shouldn't be forgotten.

Japan has flaming arrows and i just wanna say that they are absolutely the worst artillery piece. They barely do any splash damage and have an absolutely pitiful base attack. They have basically no hitpoints and are SO SLOW. Also they dont even gain their mulitplier against artillery until they are upgraded in industrial. Maybe I'm a terrible player but honestly you can just put your infantry in stagger mode and just right click. They have like no hitpoints. Flaming arrows are so bad. If it wasn't for their insane range they would be worthless. They are, however an age 3 unit and since japan has access to bottomless coin from shrines as well as a musk unit they can be quite powerful later on as they have good upgrades and shipments for them which helps significantly.
Morutaru are quite good and generally underrated. But as a mortar unit are very niche, rarely used outside of team games/ treaty, etc.

Flying crows are really really good, shadow teching every single age with a full 3 upgrade cards and an infinite shipment to back it up, but very rarely seen in 1v1s in numbers greater than 1 or 2. They fall somewhere between a congreve rocket and a great bombard in terms of dps, speed, etc. They just can only be built from a single wonder or shipped. Not that you should ever really try to play age 2 as china but it is technically a colonial unit which can be noteworthy in some circumstances.
Hand mortars. UGH. Cost too much wood, fire too slow, and useless against anything except artillery and buildings- but even then only if they are massed. Its like an arrow knight with half the attack and even slower with an even worse animation. At least they only take up 1 pop and are decent siege units later game when carded.
China gets very good (the best?) Heavy cannon when produced in the russian consulate factory or trained at the german consulate. They are upgraded (nerfed on ep iirc) with your artillery cards as well on a unit with insane base stats (and 10% consulate stat boost) making them very very powerful. Similarly they can obtain falconets from the british consulate which upgrade the same way and shadowtech as you age.
Flamethrowers are technically infantry but for the record are one of the most overpowered and hardest scaling units in the game (upgrades nerfed on ep btw) when massed, they are just expensive, don't shadowtech, trained at the castle, short ranged and require anticav to cover them (something china just doesnt have unless they ship manchu). They also have the advantage of being able to switch from siege to firing almost instantly and do very well against buildings and any infanty heavy combos like xbow-pike or urumi-sepoy. Just not abus guns dont try that it doesnt end well.

India has siege elephants which are particularly powerful in terms of raw hp and range but in practice are very(!) expensive and take up a lot of population. Also they are only good against other artillery pieces they become a huge waste of resources and pop if your opponent doesn't have any artillery or exposed fb. Also that they are hard countered by skirmishers doesnt help much either as they dominate fortress play anyways.
India also has consulate falcs but usually does not use them.

Tldr: china has the best artillery but never use it, japan has terrible artillery but actually can use it.

My post is like Japanese artillery, your like the Chinese one. :chinese: :ship:
France P i k i l i c
Howdah
ESO: Pikilic
GameRanger ID: 7497456

Post by P i k i l i c »

For the record flamethrowers are infantry, not artillery
Consider not the one who speaks the truth, but the truth that is said

:hmm: AoE logic :hmm:
Bhutan jgals
Lancer
ESO: OstiferButthole

Post by jgals »

if you want to get all technical Pikilic they are technically ART
Bhutan jgals
Lancer
ESO: OstiferButthole

Post by jgals »

or AR or whatever the artillery that isn't artillery is
Italy gamevideo113
Howdah
ESO: gamevideo113

Post by gamevideo113 »

The expansion civs actually don't have terrible artillery. They don't have a very wide arsenal, but generally speaking their artillery is more situational/versatile (depending on the unit) than the typical european artillery. Here's what i think:

Aztecs: Arrow Knights are definitely very very good at sieging but most times you won't need to use them because usually you will push in the second age with pumas, who have insane siege already. In the third age you will generally focus on producing maces, coyotes and eagles, so there is not much room for anything else unless your opponent floods the field with a ton of artillery (in that instance it would be wortwhile to produce 5-10 ak or send 6 from the homecity to keep the enemy artillery at bay). Arrow Knights are definitely a situational unit. Pumas on the other hand are more versatile, and when i play team games i like to keep their temple card (which gives them +1 speed) in my deck. Let's say you end up against a nasty french gendarme spammer, with that card you can deal with the gendarmes and the stables pretty easily. Pumas with 6 speed are definitely a scary sieging tool.

Iroquois: Let's get the easier stuff out of the way first: Rams are troll units, and so are Mantlets to an extent. They are not just bad units, and their shipments are actually decent iirc, but the problem is that they don't have enough range to be actually effective in a serious game, so i like to use them in team games for these purposes only: rams are good if you manage to sneak a couple of them to the enemy factories and they can cause havoc until your enemy notices; mantlets instead are something i add for fun while i am doing full tomahawks because the range of the two units is similar, so the tomas can cover the mantlets up a bit while they soak some damage. Light cannons instead, are an insanely good unit. 4 light cannons is a must have for every iro player in every deck. It's an incredibly versatile unit that allows you to put a ton of pressure on your opponent because it can deal decently with infantry, buildings and other artillery (not excelling at any of these unfortunately though) considering its really good range. Sometimes in team games i do some sort of FI with iro just to spam light cannons and the 1500 crate card, i think at medium level it is a legit strat if your team isn't bad, also because you can add forest prowlers or musket riders whose industrial upgrade is quite cheap.

Sioux: Siege dance... Do i need to say more?

Chinese: Flying crows are insanely good (they 1 shot other artillery), hand mortars are okish, flamethrowers are a meme unit. Pretty simple. Spamming the infinite 2 flying crows in age 4 as china is very legit, as these bad boys decimate infantry and artilley, and also make short work of buildings. Must have card. Hand mortars instead simply do thier job, but they aren't anything special to be honest (they are like a mortar/culv split in 5, so microing them can also be a bit bothersome - use meteor hammer to deal with enemy artillery). Flamethrowers are bad, not enough range and they get focused immediately, so they always die before they can do anything.

Japanese: Flaming arrows are the more annoying version of falconets. They have less damage but more range, so they will usually win artillery fights and they can still molest the enemy infantry pretty easily. Their cards from the home city are very good as well. Morutarus are a slightly better version of the euro mortars once you send their improvement card, because they are a lot more mobile. Last but not least, Japs have daimyos, so if you add that up to the equation you understand what happened in Pearl Harbor in 1941.

Indians: Siege elephants are probably the best sieging unit in the game. They have good mobility and they destroy buildings in very little time, therefore they are situational, but the enemy will feel them once you get them on the field, if the situation is right (e.g. against a turtling jap or brit). They are whack vs infantry though (they are considered light cav iirc), so don't use them for that (urumis will do the job). Legend has it, flail elephants are a powerful rushing tool. I, myself, have never experimented with such dark practices, thus i cannot evaluate the truthfulness of this legend, but overall i would consider flail elephants as the indian equivalent of iroquois rams.

Overall the civ who can make the best use of its artillery is probably japan, after all their artillery is quite traditional as it is somewhat similar to the typical european artillery, but as i said in this wall of text (that i was not supposed to write), there is plenty of really good artillery units, and if the situation is right they can be even better than the euro artillery. As a rule of thumb, european artillery generally is more specialized, so e.g. a falconet can serve less purposes than a light cannon, but it kills infantry a lot better.

Post Scriptum: Since i put this much effort into writing this post, any form of recognition performed with the click of a button at the top right of this post is highly appreciated and welcome - please, i have a family to feed.
[Some people aspire to be pr30+, some people aspire to have fun, and some people aspire to play 3v3 Deccan.] - vividlyplain - 2019 Who (nationality) rape ?
stupid logic. noob players can say op?
toxic, Insult, Racism ?
Canada dansil92
Retired Contributor

Post by dansil92 »

P i k i l i c wrote:For the record flamethrowers are infantry, not artillery

Yes, thats why i started my flamethrower paragraph by saying they were infantry ;)
Italy Garja
Retired Contributor
Donator 02
ESO: Garja

Post by Garja »

Id say iro becuse they have the best cannon and still some siege/support kindn) of artillery in age3.
Since they are presented as an artillery civ they also have several cards for it.
On the pther hand Japan has very cost efficient and practical artillery while China is also supposed to be proficient with artillery and in fact it is pretty decent.
Image Image Image
No Flag DracoWolfgand
Skirmisher

Post by DracoWolfgand »

gamevideo113 wrote:The expansion civs actually don't have terrible artillery. They don't have a very wide arsenal, but generally speaking their artillery is more situational/versatile (depending on the unit) than the typical european artillery. Here's what i think:

Aztecs: Arrow Knights are definitely very very good at sieging but most times you won't need to use them because usually you will push in the second age with pumas, who have insane siege already. In the third age you will generally focus on producing maces, coyotes and eagles, so there is not much room for anything else unless your opponent floods the field with a ton of artillery (in that instance it would be wortwhile to produce 5-10 ak or send 6 from the homecity to keep the enemy artillery at bay). Arrow Knights are definitely a situational unit. Pumas on the other hand are more versatile, and when i play team games i like to keep their temple card (which gives them +1 speed) in my deck. Let's say you end up against a nasty french gendarme spammer, with that card you can deal with the gendarmes and the stables pretty easily. Pumas with 6 speed are definitely a scary sieging tool.

Iroquois: Let's get the easier stuff out of the way first: Rams are troll units, and so are Mantlets to an extent. They are not just bad units, and their shipments are actually decent iirc, but the problem is that they don't have enough range to be actually effective in a serious game, so i like to use them in team games for these purposes only: rams are good if you manage to sneak a couple of them to the enemy factories and they can cause havoc until your enemy notices; mantlets instead are something i add for fun while i am doing full tomahawks because the range of the two units is similar, so the tomas can cover the mantlets up a bit while they soak some damage. Light cannons instead, are an insanely good unit. 4 light cannons is a must have for every iro player in every deck. It's an incredibly versatile unit that allows you to put a ton of pressure on your opponent because it can deal decently with infantry, buildings and other artillery (not excelling at any of these unfortunately though) considering its really good range. Sometimes in team games i do some sort of FI with iro just to spam light cannons and the 1500 crate card, i think at medium level it is a legit strat if your team isn't bad, also because you can add forest prowlers or musket riders whose industrial upgrade is quite cheap.

Sioux: Siege dance... Do i need to say more?

Chinese: Flying crows are insanely good (they 1 shot other artillery), hand mortars are okish, flamethrowers are a meme unit. Pretty simple. Spamming the infinite 2 flying crows in age 4 as china is very legit, as these bad boys decimate infantry and artilley, and also make short work of buildings. Must have card. Hand mortars instead simply do thier job, but they aren't anything special to be honest (they are like a mortar/culv split in 5, so microing them can also be a bit bothersome - use meteor hammer to deal with enemy artillery). Flamethrowers are bad, not enough range and they get focused immediately, so they always die before they can do anything.

Japanese: Flaming arrows are the more annoying version of falconets. They have less damage but more range, so they will usually win artillery fights and they can still molest the enemy infantry pretty easily. Their cards from the home city are very good as well. Morutarus are a slightly better version of the euro mortars once you send their improvement card, because they are a lot more mobile. Last but not least, Japs have daimyos, so if you add that up to the equation you understand what happened in Pearl Harbor in 1941.

Indians: Siege elephants are probably the best sieging unit in the game. They have good mobility and they destroy buildings in very little time, therefore they are situational, but the enemy will feel them once you get them on the field, if the situation is right (e.g. against a turtling jap or brit). They are whack vs infantry though (they are considered light cav iirc), so don't use them for that (urumis will do the job). Legend has it, flail elephants are a powerful rushing tool. I, myself, have never experimented with such dark practices, thus i cannot evaluate the truthfulness of this legend, but overall i would consider flail elephants as the indian equivalent of iroquois rams.

Overall the civ who can make the best use of its artillery is probably japan, after all their artillery is quite traditional as it is somewhat similar to the typical european artillery, but as i said in this wall of text (that i was not supposed to write), there is plenty of really good artillery units, and if the situation is right they can be even better than the euro artillery. As a rule of thumb, european artillery generally is more specialized, so e.g. a falconet can serve less purposes than a light cannon, but it kills infantry a lot better.

Post Scriptum: Since i put this much effort into writing this post, any form of recognition performed with the click of a button at the top right of this post is highly appreciated and welcome - please, i have a family to feed.

Arrow Knights are certainly solid for sieging and even countering artillery purposes. Unfortunatelly, compared to, oh let us say, the Heavy Cannon( Or even Falconet ), they suffer from a crucial weakness: Their base attack is pretty low, and they lack area damage, making their useability againt infantry very, very limited. Notice that I was not discussing just their ability to destroy buildings here, but the usability of their artillery units in general.

For the Iroquois: Well, I dont think Rams and Mantlets are COMPLETELY useless... Like, early on, due to the sheer damage Rams actually deal to buildings, it MIGHT be worth mixing up one or two, if your opponent happened to have choosen to wall up and do a turtle or Fast Fortress strategy, but I will agree their lack of proper range makes then much harder to use. With that said: I really wished the Mantlet was classified in the "Artillery" armor class instead of the "Heavy Infantry" armor class. With its high health and Ranged Resistance, if it was, it could act as-Such-A great meatshield for the Iroquois otherwise frail, ranged units. But as it is, the fact Skirmisher gain a large attack bonus against it really limit its useability on that role.

The Sioux... Well, yeah, you are correct in that Fire Dance makes up for their lack of a actual specialized building destroyer( By effecting letting every one of their units do that ), but it still doesnt give then a "true" artillery unit now, does it? Plus, if you are doing the Siege Dance, that means you wont be using any of the other usefull "dances" the Sioux have, such as War Dance( Not that they really-Need-The War Dance, as most of their cavalry units are already heavy hitters to begin with, but hey, I am just saiyng, War Dance-boosted Axe Riders make the Uhlans seem like a positively inferior replacement by comparisson ).

The Chinese: See, the thing that makes the Fliyng Crow interestings is that they are effectivelly a Heavy Cannon-esque unit that can be unlocked as early as the-Colonial-Age. With that said: They take a long while to mass, and are still slightly inferior to the actual European Heavy Cannons. Flamethrowers and Mortars are... Not TERRIBLE at their respective jobs( Killing infantry units and buildings ), but as usual, not great either. The main disadvantage of the Flamethrowers is that, as you said, their limited range and the fact they are technically classified as a heavy infantry unit( WHY!? ) makes then kind of useless against light infantry, as in opposed to the Falconet, which can butcher light infantry like there is no tomorrow.

The Japanese: Again: The Flaming Arrows lack of( Well... Okay, not COMPLETE lack of on their case, but very limited ) splash damage cripples their efficiency against infantry severely. They are actually more comparable to the Arrow Knight then to the Falconet in my eyes: Maybe a bit better then it against infantry, but on the overral, they are a building destroyer and artillery killer. -Also-Though it may be unfair to point it out, its range is still shorter then the Culverin, meaning in a actual matchup between these anti-artillery units, the Culverin pretty much always wins. I agree that the Morutaru is decent at the role it is suppose to take, though, but it suffers from what I decided to dub "The Mortar syndrom" in that, due to it being incredibly over specialized and there being other units that can take its role, you will rarely find yourself actually using then.

The Indians: Siege Elephants are indeed actually pretty good: Essentially the Indian replacement for Horse Artillery, perhaps even being superior to it due to its higher hitpoints. Like Horse Artillery, it can take a niche role as a artillery unit that can actually use hit-and-run tactics. Sadly, it also suffers from most of the same problems as Horse Artillery, though... Meaning: It is expensive and, relatively to its cost, doesnt actually hit quite as hard as other artillery units. PLUS, as you mentioned it is considered a light cavalry unit for some reason, meaning it actually-Can-Be used by countering Skirmishers.
Canada dansil92
Retired Contributor

Post by dansil92 »

@DracoWolfgand neither flamethrowers or mantlets carry the heavy infantry tag. They actually do extremely well against skirmisher type units if they can get in range...
Italy Garja
Retired Contributor
Donator 02
ESO: Garja

Post by Garja »

Ye mantlets have both artillery and infantry tag so they are basically the most upgradable unit in the game.
Image Image Image
Poland pecelot
Retired Contributor
Donator 03
ESO: Pezet

Post by pecelot »

Iroquois light cannons are pretty weak against infantry, though for sure they're quite versatile and mobile

@gamevideo113 , siege dance loses to mass walls or meatshield and constantly requires 25 vill pop

Japan's strength is also about having excellent shipments: two 2-falcs equivalent in age 3 that can even be shipped to a Daimyo; you've lost a ,,falc" war? not to worry, begin another!
European Union scarm
Howdah
ESO: Malebranche

Post by scarm »

Iroquois ranged units actually really aren't frail, Tomahawks have the same base as muskets, Forest Prowlers are slightly lower than skirm and musket riders are actually much tankier than goons, esp. on EP with RR nerfed. Plus you have lots of upgrades and your WC.
Netherlands momuuu
Ninja
ESO: Jerom_

Post by momuuu »

Hand mortars are being underrated in this thread. They're basically everything you want from artillery: utility.

Artillery as anti infantry is generally not viable in aoe3 because culverins exist. Flaming arrows for example are pretty disappointing. They deal mediocre damage to infantry compared to yumi archers, and they struggle to fill the culverin role for Japan. Morturarus are better mortars, although being available only in age 4 makes them play a nonfactor in competitive aoe3.

Siege elephants are okay as a tool to deal with culverins and to put on pressure, but they are extremely vulnerable and have mediocre range. Compared to the hand mortars siege elephants are just trash. Flail elephants are just weak.

Iro's cannons are only available in age 4, and while these are extremely good once you are age 4, this rarely happens in aoe3. Though for team games where you do get age 4 iro's light cannons are awesome.

Aztec's arrow knights are okay. I dont really have much experience with them and they seem a bit expensive for what they do.

Hand mortars are just amazing. They can perfectly function as a culverin and don't really get countered that hard by other culverins because culverins will overkill them. And if that wasnt enough, they are probably the best unit to siege with in the game especially singe they are available in age 3 already. They can be very useful against a turtling portuguese, dutch or japanese player.
France P i k i l i c
Howdah
ESO: Pikilic
GameRanger ID: 7497456

Post by P i k i l i c »

Wait I need to see a proper use of hand mortars then, they always disappointed me
Consider not the one who speaks the truth, but the truth that is said

:hmm: AoE logic :hmm:
European Union scarm
Howdah
ESO: Malebranche

Post by scarm »

Idk about Hand Mortars in Sup, but i used to play a lot of Chinese on Treaty and Hand Mortars are really good there actually because of the reasons mentioned imo, just sucks that they also cost wood.
Netherlands momuuu
Ninja

Post by momuuu »

P i k i l i c wrote:Wait I need to see a proper use of hand mortars then, they always disappointed me

They are so good that nobody dares to even build artillery against China.

Also:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PD_yVEgsrQo
Canada dansil92
Retired Contributor

Post by dansil92 »

Hand mortars are good as culverins but rarely are needed since meteor hammers are just so effective against artillery- i would say that is why no one makes artillery against china...
Team games however, hand mortars can shine since you can just spam artillery (flying crows, hand mortars, flamethrowers and heavy cannons) and boost them with all 3 artillery cards and China 's crazy good eco potential and pop limit can be abused to the fullest. I slam them in my post only because they aren't great in 1v1
Poland pecelot
Retired Contributor
Donator 03

Post by pecelot »

momuuu wrote:Artillery as anti infantry is generally not viable in aoe3 because culverins exist.

what if your opponent doesn't have a culverin
what if your opponent has less culverins than you
Netherlands momuuu
Ninja

Post by momuuu »

pecelot wrote:
momuuu wrote:Artillery as anti infantry is generally not viable in aoe3 because culverins exist.

what if your opponent doesn't have a culverin
what if your opponent has less culverins than you

If your opponent has 2 falcs and 1-2 more culverins than you do, then you should have about 15 unit pop more in other units. You can just trade goons for his falcs then and proceed to win the fight.
Poland pecelot
Retired Contributor
Donator 03

Post by pecelot »

well, what if you can't :hmm: your opponent may not always have good goons or just goons in general (age 2), you can position your artillery in such a way that they're unreachable for cavalry (trees, walls) — at least without major losses