The "Units I just cant use" thread.

No Flag DracoWolfgand
Skirmisher

The "Units I just cant use" thread.

Post by DracoWolfgand »

Hey there! So, I wanted to make this thread to discuss some units that I do not consider as necesserially bad, as I have seen other players use then for great effect in recorded games, but which-I-For some reason just seem to consistently fail to obtain good results with. I was hoping some of you could give me advice on how to best use those units: Alternatively, if anyone else reading this thread has any particular unit that they feel that they cant use very well, they can also feel free to post about it to get advice. Allright, here we go.

Urumis-I mentioned this more then once, but I just keep letting then die, usually while barely leaving a dent on the opponent army n the process. Looking at the unit, on paper it seems like it should be seen mostly as a very specialized infantry killer( It can also be used to kill light cavalry but its status as a meele unit kinda hinders this function of it ), but they are only avaliable in shipments, and small ones at that. Meaning that quite often about half the squad died before they begun doing any killing of their own...

Daimyos/Mansadbar Gate units: These two units( Well, more like, one unit, and one cathegory of units ) I struggle using for the same reason, which can be summarised in two words: Focused Fire. Whenever I bring one into the field, the opponent just focuses as much of its ranged units as possible on then, and they die, usually before their aura gets to be too usefull. I seem to get a bit more luck with Missionairies as, although they are very fragile, the fact they are more spammable means they arent as vulnerable to this kind of antics.
Spain Snuden
Jaeger
ESO: Snuden

Re: The "Units I just cant use" thread.

Post by Snuden »

I am far from being an expert... Keep watching recs and streams and you will probably notice that often when Urumis are used, they are used to make the opponents army go into melee mode. The trick is then that you should have other (RI) units killing the opponents melee'd units.

Same goes for cav. I sometimes slam hussars into opponents HI, just to melee them, while my own muskets or LB's are going the killing from behind.

Something like that anyway...
[Sith] - Baphomet
No Flag DracoWolfgand
Skirmisher

Post by DracoWolfgand »

I see. What would you recomend I support Urumis with? I mean, normally, heavy cavalry is best supported with either light infantry or light cavalry, but the Urumis... Well, they -Are-Light infantry :p. With their main "hard" counter being heavy cavalry, then... Zamburaks, maybe?
Canada dansil92
Retired Contributor
ESO: dansil92

Post by dansil92 »

Sepoy+urumi+ siege elephant shipment. Mahouts from the ageup wonder. Lamest laming in the books my friend. A few zams dont hurt either but sepoy just are very tanky
France P i k i l i c
Howdah
ESO: Pikilic
GameRanger ID: 7497456

Post by P i k i l i c »

Urumis are best used right into the enemy faces under the TC or Agra Fort
Anyway, just support them with your army (often sepoy based) and don't let them run alone against opponent's dragoons if these can flee away and kite. Then idk how you could have a problem
Here is an Urumi FI strategy you can try for fun: https://eso-community.net/viewtopic.php?t=6673#p148021 (you support urumis with zamburaks)

About daymios/mansabdars, keep an eye on them (maybe in a control group) for them to stay a bit in the rear of your army, so that they can't be focused easily
Consider not the one who speaks the truth, but the truth that is said

:hmm: AoE logic :hmm: