Help a noob

Belgium Tim010
Crossbow
ESO: Timm010

Help a noob

Post by Tim010 »

Hi,

I was directed to this forum to find someone who might be able to help me. I play a lot of games against a friend of me but the problem is he wins a lot and i have really big trouble dealing effective with his army. My opponent plays always french (yes it's lame) so he haas had much more practise. I play every game another civ wich is probably the first reason why i loose, none the less i really want to win some more.

So french (my opponent) does mostly a (semi)-fast fortress, 5 cav and then age, when i pick a rush or raid civ he makes musks and sits in base. Since rushing is to much all in and not really my play-style i want to fight him in fortress age myself. The big problem here is that i can't deal with french skirm-goon spam. The reasons why that is include my bad micro (i try but it seems counterproductive :sad: ) or the fact that i just don't know what units to build (refering to asian civs). To explain a bit more, i have the start with most civs under control (to be a pr 25let's say) but once the fights start i feel like i always loose more units.

So first question: If i want to fight french fortress, and i have to pick a civ to fight this (being in fortress myself) . What civ would i pick and how do i deal with skirm-goon effective.

Sidenote, my friend is unsportive so he bans the native civs (Azzy, Iro, sioux) because i can beat him with those. So i'm looking for an euro+asian civ.

My second question: I selected China for now to deal with this, it seems like a civ with much options (at least in units, not sure about strats). So if i do the China FF, what units should i make to deal with skirm goon? And how to quickly adapt when 10 cuirs join his army.
France [Armag] diarouga
Ninja
NWC LAN Gold
ESO: diarouga

Re: Help a noob

Post by [Armag] diarouga »

I'd say the best way to counter a 5 cav semi is to play Germany. Go for a uhlan semi (you'll have more cav), and thanks to your superior shipments you'll outmass in fortress. You should check Mitoe's guide if you want to know more about this.
Other than this, the Otto ff should do pretty good against it, same with China ff.

If you play China, you should ff and make a lot of cav, with the skirm shipment.
No Flag gomakchios
Crossbow

Post by gomakchios »

IT IS EASY TO BEAT THE FRENCH, JUST PLAY GERMANS/BRITISH/RUSSIANS OR ANY OTHER CIV TO BE HONEST. THIS GAME IS HISTORICALLY ACCURATE SO FRANCE IS SHIT TIER IN THIS GAME

However if your opponent plays french with handicap enabled and given to him (as he should) follow the advice above.
Netherlands edeholland
ESOC Community Team
Donator 01
ESO: edeholland
GameRanger ID: 4053888
Clan: ESOC

Post by edeholland »

@gomakchios If you want to trash talk about AoE3, please go to the off-topic section.

Mitoe is talking about this question in the Discord server, posting it here for discussion purposes:
Cav-heavy army works pretty well vs skirm/goon. Just mass Forbidden Army with 1-3 Territorial banner armies mixed in, and you'll do fine most of the time. Shipping Repelling Volley can be a good way to deal with goon-heavy compositions too, as you'll melt the goons with your skirms as long as you make sure you are targetting them
Alternatively, you can go full Arq/Chang, and ship Iron Troops as well. Iron Troops have 60% Ranged Resistance so enemy ranged units have a very difficult time trying to kill them.
I don't really like doing that though
France [Armag] diarouga
Ninja
NWC LAN Gold

gomakchios wrote:IT IS EASY TO BEAT THE FRENCH, JUST PLAY GERMANS/BRITISH/RUSSIANS OR ANY OTHER CIV TO BE HONEST. THIS GAME IS HISTORICALLY ACCURATE SO FRANCE IS SHIT TIER IN THIS GAME

However if your opponent plays french with handicap enabled and given to him (as he should) follow the advice above.

France is actually historically the best fighting nation, out of 168 battles we only lost 49. France also dominated Europe during the Napoleon era, although it was France against every other country.

Honestly, I don't know why the 2nd world war gave us this reputation when the British army was in France too trying to hold the Germany army, and when many French soldiers died covering the British soldiers who were escaping.
Meanwhile, the USA was afk going full Stanley_Winston in 2v2.
United States of America Squamiger
Howdah
ESO: Squamiger

Post by Squamiger »

Sidenote, my friend is unsportive so he bans the native civs (Azzy, Iro, sioux) because i can beat him with those.

Maybe you need some new friends lol. But also, look up the China FF on the strategy wall, both the regular and the Mitoe versions work well for me:

https://eso-community.net/viewtopic.php?f=29&t=9169
Belgium Tim010
Crossbow
ESO: Timm010

Post by Tim010 »

Squamiger wrote:
Sidenote, my friend is unsportive so he bans the native civs (Azzy, Iro, sioux) because i can beat him with those.

Maybe you need some new friends lol. But also, look up the China FF on the strategy wall, both the regular and the Mitoe versions work well for me:

This is probably true but i actualy want to reach a point that i can beat him over and over till he is foced to change his own civ. Maybe it's a goal above my skill level but it at least pushes me to become a better player. And i have scrolled through the strategy wall for china and some other civs yeah, my prolem isn't aging in time or having enough vills, i am familiar with the build orders, i'm just terrible at fighting even though i know the basic things such as what counters what. So it is more to that point that i need advice.

Like for germany the skirm-goon mix is skirm-ww but those ww are expensive so players use uhlans. As Diarouga and Mitoe just informed me for China i should also go cav. I think for China i now know enough to give it another try. But for russia and otto i'm not sure what the best unit combo is. Do i need cav or ranged cav, is abus or strelet heavy on option? knowing that 10 cuirs can melt your entire army when anticav is misplaced. That is what i hope to find out here.
Argentina AraGun
Lancer
ESO: AraGun_OP

Post by AraGun »

Tim010 wrote:
Squamiger wrote:

This is probably true but i actualy want to reach a point that i can beat him over and over till he is foced to change his own civ. Maybe it's a goal above my skill level but it at least pushes me to become a better player. And i have scrolled through the strategy wall for china and some other civs yeah, my prolem isn't aging in time or having enough vills, i am familiar with the build orders, i'm just terrible at fighting even though i know the basic things such as what counters what. So it is more to that point that i need advice.

Like for germany the skirm-goon mix is skirm-ww but those ww are expensive so players use uhlans. As Diarouga and Mitoe just informed me for China i should also go cav. I think for China i now know enough to give it another try. But for russia and otto i'm not sure what the best unit combo is. Do i need cav or ranged cav, is abus or strelet heavy on option? knowing that 10 cuirs can melt your entire army when anticav is misplaced. That is what i hope to find out here.

THe problem with this is that you play on re and not ep where france is basically good against any civ. You wont ever beat him over and over and make him change his civ unless you play on EP or abuse iro/otto all ins. Even tho france doenst really have any weaknesses apart from having to deal with early pressure with fewer units probably. But dont forget his french cdb are pretty hard mofos to try and kill with ur units while his own units kill your army.
France bwinner
Howdah
Donator 01
ESO: bwinner

Post by bwinner »

[Armag] diarouga wrote:I'd say the best way to counter a 5 cav semi is to play Germany. Go for a uhlan semi (you'll have more cav), and thanks to your superior shipments you'll outmass in fortress. You should check Mitoe's guide if you want to know more about this.
Other than this, the Otto ff should do pretty good against it, same with China ff.

If you play China, you should ff and make a lot of cav, with the skirm shipment.

lol are you really thinking otto wins vs france ?
No Flag gomakchios
Crossbow

Post by gomakchios »

AraGun wrote:
Tim010 wrote:
Show hidden quotes

THe problem with this is that you play on re and not ep where france is basically good against any civ. You wont ever beat him over and over and make him change his civ unless you play on EP or abuse iro/otto all ins. Even tho france doenst really have any weaknesses apart from having to deal with early pressure with fewer units probably. But dont forget his french cdb are pretty hard mofos to try and kill with ur units while his own units kill your army.

:ohmy: :ohmy: :ohmy: :ohmy: :ohmy:

1appl.gif

That's a very strong arguement, how can I disagree with this? You have convinced me. I was wrong, you are right.
France is a very strong all-round civ with no exploitable weaknesses. How naive of me to believe the opposite.
1536808412.72-smiley.gif
Argentina AraGun
Lancer
ESO: AraGun_OP

Post by AraGun »

bwinner1 wrote:
[Armag] diarouga wrote:I'd say the best way to counter a 5 cav semi is to play Germany. Go for a uhlan semi (you'll have more cav), and thanks to your superior shipments you'll outmass in fortress. You should check Mitoe's guide if you want to know more about this.

I actually dont and I would lock in france vs otto anyday probably. But the problem is otto on re maps, doesnt really matter what civ your opponent is if they dont have any hunts and you have 10-15 jen in their base.

P.S.
Listen to diarouga tim, germany is pretty decent against france, some would even argue its german favored but thats a whole other discussion we dont want to get into right here.
France [Armag] diarouga
Ninja
NWC LAN Gold

bwinner1 wrote:

On the RE? Probably, it's close though. Anyway, that's irrelevant, Otto ff>France until you get to like pr 35, so at his level otto>France
No Flag DracoWolfgand
Skirmisher

Post by DracoWolfgand »

So, if ANOTHER noob may ask for advice... I am confused: So is France good competitively or not? Because I always remember finding Cuirassiers + Skirmishers a really strong, hard to handle combination, especially if the game ever makes it to the Industrial or Imperial Age, but...
United States of America Squamiger
Howdah
ESO: Squamiger

Post by Squamiger »

DracoWolfgand wrote:So, if ANOTHER noob may ask for advice... I am confused: So is France good competitively or not? Because I always remember finding Cuirassiers + Skirmishers a really strong, hard to handle combination, especially if the game ever makes it to the Industrial or Imperial Age, but...

I think France on both retail and EP is pretty balanced, meaning it’s strong when played well but has certain exploitable weaknesses. Mainly as France you want to do a 5 hussar semi FF and then win with a timing push of skirms goons and the 2 falc shipment in early to mid-fortress, but France can also play a decent age 2 with musks and huss. I also think in the WAY late game France is very strong with cuirs and voltigeurs.

Seems like to me the vulnerabilities of France are to a very fast aggressive rush in age 2 from like Aztec or Russia, or a heavy FF like Spain or China, since France can’t mass as well with just shipments and have to wait for their cdb eco to kick in, in either age 2 or 3