Handicap games

France [Armag] diarouga
Ninja
NWC LAN Gold
ESO: diarouga

Handicap games

Post by [Armag] diarouga »

I was wondering, how much handicap would someone need to beat a top player?
From experience, I know that I could win most of the time with a 10% handicap against people below pr 29.

kaiserklein said he could beat lieutenants with a 25% handicap and MS with a 50% handicap. I've never tried to do that but that seems quite hard to do :?

What about 1v2? I've never tried that, and I highly doubt it would work against pr25+, but I'm quite sure you can do that against people below pr20.

Also how would you play in these situations? I think that the best way is to go for a fast boom while harassing your opponent. Thus Japan, Brit and France would be quite good at it.
Opinions?
Great Britain WickedCossack
Retired Contributor

Re: Handicap games

Post by WickedCossack »

Ive played around 100 1v2's over the years. With brit the limit is around pr25, probably 23-24 these days. 1v3 is around pr15-16.

And yea fast boom while harassing (so huss start as brits) is by far the bestway to play.
Canada Mitoe
Advanced Theory Craftsman
ESO: Mitoe
GameRanger ID: 346407

Post by Mitoe »

I feel like booming is the wrong way to go about it. It can work if your harass does significant damage but realistically you likely won't do that much damage--it also depends on how high the handicap is. I think you need to play very aggressively and just overwhelm their APM or outmicro them in small skirmishes to get advantages.
France [Armag] diarouga
Ninja
NWC LAN Gold

Mitoe wrote:I feel like booming is the wrong way to go about it. It can work if your harass does significant damage but realistically you likely won't do that much damage--it also depends on how high the handicap is. I think you need to play very aggressively and just overwhelm their APM or outmicro them in small skirmishes to get advantages.

Well, if you're playing with handicap it means that you're significantly better than your opponent, so you can make a lot of damage to his economy and with brit you can probably outboom even if he has a big handicap.
Playing agressively and outmicroing makes sense against handicap, but in 1v2 it's for sure the wrong way.

@WickedCossack Would you say that Brit is the best 1v2 civ? If so, I think that VC into cav start is the best way because regular cav start doesn't give a great eco.
Canada Warno
Dragoon
Donator 08
ESO: Warno

Post by Warno »

What does the handicap improve?

Is it just gather rate of vills? Or is it everything (unit stats, age up discounts, shipments?)
France [Armag] diarouga
Ninja
NWC LAN Gold

Warno wrote:What does the handicap improve?

Is it just gather rate of vills? Or is it everything (unit stats, age up discounts, shipments?)

Just gather rate, but it also counts for crates, so with 100% handicap 700w becomes 1400w.
Great Britain WickedCossack
Retired Contributor

Post by WickedCossack »

[Armag] diarouga wrote:
Mitoe wrote:I feel like booming is the wrong way to go about it. It can work if your harass does significant damage but realistically you likely won't do that much damage--it also depends on how high the handicap is. I think you need to play very aggressively and just overwhelm their APM or outmicro them in small skirmishes to get advantages.

Well, if you're playing with handicap it means that you're significantly better than your opponent, so you can make a lot of damage to his economy and with brit you can probably outboom even if he has a big handicap.
Playing agressively and outmicroing makes sense against handicap, but in 1v2 it's for sure the wrong way.

@WickedCossack Would you say that Brit is the best 1v2 civ? If so, I think that VC into cav start is the best way because regular cav start doesn't give a great eco.

100%, no other civ comes even remotely close. The manor mechanic is custom made for these type of matches!

I just did 3vil builds, you kinda want 5 huss out asap, rather not have any delay on that.
France [Armag] diarouga
Ninja
NWC LAN Gold

WickedCossack wrote:
[Armag] diarouga wrote:

100%, no other civ comes even remotely close. The manor mechanic is custom made for these type of matches!

Japan/India ?
Japan can get a great eco and a great late game, so although you can't really harass you can win with some semi FI strats.
India can take the map, harass with sepoys, and your eco will be great. Also you have a decent late game.
Tuvalu gibson
Ninja
ECL Reigning Champs

Post by gibson »

Does handicap also change trickle, shrines, factories, banks etc?
Australia Hazza54321
Pro Player
Winter Champion 2020 x2Donator 01
ESO: PrinceofBabu

Post by Hazza54321 »

yes
Canada Warno
Dragoon
Donator 08

Post by Warno »

[Armag] diarouga wrote:
Warno wrote:What does the handicap improve?

Just gather rate, but it also counts for crates, so with 100% handicap 700w becomes 1400w.

Sounds good, I will be your guinea pig if you want to test some games out.
Canada Warno
Dragoon
Donator 08

Post by Warno »

On the other hand, which would be the best civ to choose when you get a handicap?

French? Seems like their early eco would be incredible
No Flag Jaeger
Jaeger

Post by Jaeger »

I am 1st lt/captain, I would be willing to play in a 1v2 or with a handicap if anybody wants.
last time i cryed was because i stood on Lego
France Kaiserklein
Pro Player
GameRanger ID: 5529322

Post by Kaiserklein »

50% vs serg/MS was a guess. I'm really not sure I'd win that. But I played lots of 1v1 vs queen when she had 25% and I was still mostly winning them, so I'm quite sure about that one.
Handicap doesn't only boost gathering, It also makes researching stuff (including aging up) and building stuff faster. So it's really huge.
1v2 worked for me vs lieuts but it also depends on their experience doing that. Like realistically if they just decide to both do a stupid rush like musk + huss there isn't much you can do to win if they don't totally fuck up. That's the problem of this format, you really rely on your opponents doing huge mistakes.

About the playstyle, from my experience in 1v2 you have to be aggressive. The eco and mass gets really out of hand at some point when you're facing 2 players, so you have to do lots of damage rather early. For example raiding won't be enough unless you really raid a ton of vils.
In 1v1 handicap, you can play it in different ways. Raiding while booming can work depending on the match up, rushing also can. I'd say the safest is to go for a big timing because regardless of the match up you'll usually outmass a lieut even with 25% handicap if you hit a big timing, and even if you don't outmass you outmicro hard and can win the fight. So for example germany is good in that sense. And you need a rather late game deck because games tend to last longer (since you usually keep winning fights but opponent keeps remassing hard), especially units upgrades are important since your units are much more valuable than his.
LoOk_tOm wrote:I have something in particular against Kaisar (GERMANY NOOB mercenary LAMME FOREVER) And the other people (noobs) like suck kaiser ... just this ..
Tuvalu gibson
Ninja
ECL Reigning Champs

Post by gibson »

I challenge anyone to play me with a 25 percent handicap
France Kaiserklein
Pro Player

Post by Kaiserklein »

I'd try with 15%
LoOk_tOm wrote:I have something in particular against Kaisar (GERMANY NOOB mercenary LAMME FOREVER) And the other people (noobs) like suck kaiser ... just this ..
Spain Snuden
Jaeger
ESO: Snuden

Post by Snuden »

I'm handicapped in all my gamesh. 666%
[Sith] - Baphomet
No Flag Jaeger
Jaeger

Post by Jaeger »

Kaiserklein wrote:I'd try with 15%

gibson wrote:I challenge anyone to play me with a 25 percent handicap

U guys want to play this on stream :D?
last time i cryed was because i stood on Lego
Tuvalu gibson
Ninja
ECL Reigning Champs

Post by gibson »

I don't think 15 would be really be fair, although since i haven't really been active the past month it might be.
France Kaiserklein
Pro Player

Post by Kaiserklein »

Well it's a try, can adjust to 10% if 15 is too much
Turkey HUMMAN
Lancer
ESO: HUMMAN

Post by HUMMAN »

Gibson would stack %15 more res. xD
Italy Garja
Retired Contributor
Donator 02
ESO: Garja

Post by Garja »

It depends a lot on the civ, because if he can't keep up with the income and use it then handicap is useless.
But in general it gives quite an advantage because for example it makes you age up a lot sooner.
Image Image Image
France bwinner
Howdah
Donator 01
ESO: bwinner

Post by bwinner »

even with 10%, I expect gibson to win tbh. I know gibson is approximatly the same lvl like me and I believe I would win very consistently vs kaiser with +10%.
Tuvalu gibson
Ninja
ECL Reigning Champs

Post by gibson »

HUMMAN wrote:Gibson would stack %15 more res. xD
The thing is 15 percent doesnt mean you have 15 percent more res, it probably means you have 25 percent more eco cause you scale so much faster.
France Kaiserklein
Pro Player

Post by Kaiserklein »

bwinner1 wrote:even with 10%, I expect gibson to win tbh. I know gibson is approximatly the same lvl like me and I believe I would win very consistently vs kaiser with +10%.

Ok next time we try with 10%