MU of the month: Dutch vs Russia

Bavaria j_t_kirk
ESOC Media Team
Donator 01
ESO: j_t_kirk

MU of the month: Dutch vs Russia

Post by j_t_kirk »

Image Back to the great AOE3 strategies. We saw in the past some nice MU of the week already. One month A few months ago we had Spain playing vs China
You can find all played MU's here.
The meta changes, the player skill level changes, and the patch changes. Some high-level 1v1 players from our lovely community want to show up in a BO5. Let's find out what they could do.

Every at least once per month a thread will be opened where you can discuss a certain MU. This week's MU is Dutch vs Russia. Hopefully, the discussion will be in depth and top players will share their insight.

Vote for the next MU here!

What is the current meta?
What strategy fits best for each map?

Image VS Image
The map pool:
Kamchatka --- Indonesia --- Herald Island --- Thar Desert--- Florida

ImageImageImageImageImage

You can find a list of ESOC maps here: http://eso-community.net/maps.php

Welcome! Credit for this idea goes to @kami_ryu as well as @musketeer925 , @BrookG ,@lemmings121 & @Diarouga building upon it. They are the masterminds behind this pretty nice idea!

All played MU's you can find here: viewtopic.php?f=29&t=13821
ImageImageImage
No Flag tedere12
Jaeger

Re: MU of the month: Dutch vs Russia

Post by tedere12 »

Close MU, depends on the map a lot
France Kaiserklein
Pro Player
GameRanger ID: 5529322

Post by Kaiserklein »

Dutch favoured on no tp, russ favoured on big tp maps, otherwise pretty fair I think. There's quite a few ways to play it as russia (rush, colo timing, even semi ff I think) and dutch has to adapt
LoOk_tOm wrote:I have something in particular against Kaisar (GERMANY NOOB mercenary LAMME FOREVER) And the other people (noobs) like suck kaiser ... just this ..
France [Armag] diarouga
Ninja
NWC LAN Gold
ESO: diarouga

Post by [Armag] diarouga »

Yea, close MU.
I'm not sure how you should play it as Dutch. Probably start cav and hold and then adapt. Russia should be agressive early on, and then boom (of course it's easier with the TP line).
Australia Hazza54321
Pro Player
Winter Champion 2020 x2Donator 01
ESO: PrinceofBabu

Post by Hazza54321 »

yeah fair mostly except high tp
France bwinner
Howdah
Donator 01
ESO: bwinner

Post by bwinner »

[Armag] diarouga wrote:Yea, close MU.
I'm not sure how you should play it as Dutch. Probably start cav and hold and then adapt. Russia should be agressive early on, and then boom (of course it's easier with the TP line).

How exactly do you boom when there is no TP ? Cuz you do market up early anyway right ?
No Flag tedere12
Jaeger

Post by tedere12 »

bwinner1 wrote:

How exactly do you boom when there is no TP ? Cuz you do market up early anyway right ?

you do it the goodspeed way
France Kaiserklein
Pro Player

Post by Kaiserklein »

Well imo that's why the mu sucks for russia on no tp. You don't have a way to boom so dutch can turtle, even with cm if they need, get to fortress with much more eco, and russia will struggle to hold the push
LoOk_tOm wrote:I have something in particular against Kaisar (GERMANY NOOB mercenary LAMME FOREVER) And the other people (noobs) like suck kaiser ... just this ..
France [Armag] diarouga
Ninja
NWC LAN Gold

bwinner1 wrote:

Yea market, maybe spice trade at some point. I think that if you can keep the Dutch player in age 2 it should be fine because your units are so much better, if he goes age 3 that's another story.
To be fair, it's probably slightly Dutch favoured but not that hard.

I remember there was a showmatch between kaiser and somppu on a no TP map and this was quite close although somppu lost.
France Kaiserklein
Pro Player

Post by Kaiserklein »

Yeah but that's because my dutch is bad and was even worse back then
Germany supernapoleon
Lancer
ESO: Supernapoleon

Post by supernapoleon »

Still in age 3, it is hard for the dutch player to get map controll back. Russia sits on blockhouses with mass infintrary. Hard to destroy without 2 canon shippment.
"I'M SOOOOOO GOOD AT THE GAME"
Hazza wrote: "I mad u win cos u get carried all game and have to lame every game"
France [Armag] diarouga
Ninja
NWC LAN Gold

supernapoleon wrote:Still in age 3, it is hard for the dutch player to get map controll back. Russia sits on blockhouses with mass infintrary. Hard to destroy without 2 canon shippment.

Yea. Well you have the range advantage so you can hit and run him, else making canons is an option (ruyter/falc).
No Flag deleted_user
Ninja

Post by deleted_user »

supernapoleon wrote:Still in age 3, it is hard for the dutch player to get map controll back. Russia sits on blockhouses with mass infintrary. Hard to destroy without 2 canon shippment.

Vet huss
Canada dansil92
Retired Contributor
ESO: dansil92

Post by dansil92 »

Water map will be particularly interesting for this matchup imo. Both have decent water options
Germany richard
Dragoon

Post by richard »

As russian player i would play early aggression vs Dutch on each of these 5 maps. I would expect the Dutch player to send CM then and build more banks hiding behind CM, then aging up to age III.
No Flag deleted_user
Ninja

Post by deleted_user »

richard wrote:As russian player i would play early aggression vs Dutch on each of these 5 maps. I would expect the Dutch player to send CM then and build more banks hiding behind CM, then aging up to age III.

Incredible.
France [Armag] diarouga
Ninja
NWC LAN Gold

dansil92 wrote:Water map will be particularly interesting for this matchup imo. Both have decent water options

Not really.
Dutch is a trash water civ (bank boom is usually better), and although Russia has a decent water boom it isn't good against Dutch because Dutch is quite good against water booms.
You can just ff and kill him with the fregate/3 ships and ruyt/falc.
No Flag deleted_user
Ninja

Post by deleted_user »

[Armag] diarouga wrote:
dansil92 wrote:Water map will be particularly interesting for this matchup imo. Both have decent water options

Not really.
Dutch is a trash water civ (bank boom is usually better), and although Russia has a decent water boom it isn't good against Dutch because Dutch is quite good against water booms.

yea, you really wouldnt like to open seaboom with any civ unless you are playing porto ( easy to defence with 2tc cm ) or japan thanks to yumiW
France [Armag] diarouga
Ninja
NWC LAN Gold

Russia can water boom sometimes (vs sioux/fre/ger/mirror).
Not vs dutch though.
Germany richard
Dragoon

Post by richard »

deleted_user wrote:
richard wrote:As russian player i would play early aggression vs Dutch on each of these 5 maps. I would expect the Dutch player to send CM then and build more banks hiding behind CM, then aging up to age III.

Incredible.

It s credible.
Armenia Sargsyan
Jaeger
Donator 01
ESO: lamergamer
Clan: c0ns

Post by Sargsyan »

Russians i monkey flip them with the funky cm ill be shipping
krichk wrote:For some reason, you want the world to know that you're brave enough to challenge Challenger_Marco
France bwinner
Howdah
Donator 01

Post by bwinner »

[Armag] diarouga wrote:

Not really.

Wouldn't it be a way to boom more effectively than steal trap for russia ? I agree though that it can oppen a big window to age up for dutch and you don't want that
Italy Garja
Retired Contributor
Donator 02
ESO: Garja

Post by Garja »

The water discussion is not that easy. If Russia booms hard on water and Dutch FF and ships frigate etc. I think that's not bad for Russia. Whenever one civ booms on water and the other does delayed water push that usually plays into the hands of the water boom civ. I'd rather just FF and push land as Dutch in that situation.
Image Image Image
France [Armag] diarouga
Ninja
NWC LAN Gold

bwinner1 wrote:
[Armag] diarouga wrote:

Not really.

Wouldn't it be a way to boom more effectively than steal trap for russia ? I agree though that it can oppen a big window to age up for dutch and you don't want that

Yes your eco will be great but dutch will age for free (while it's tough against a 5coss pressure), and you're going to lose your extra eco to his age 3 push.
France bwinner
Howdah
Donator 01

Post by bwinner »

[Armag] diarouga wrote:
bwinner1 wrote:
Show hidden quotes

Yes your eco will be great but dutch will age for free (while it's tough against a 5coss pressure), and you're going to lose your extra eco to his age 3 push.

I was more thinking about a normal start and then go water without schooners with juste 1 dock, using wood cartes.