MU of the month: Dutch vs Russia

Italy Garja
Retired Contributor
Donator 02
ESO: Garja

Re: MU of the month: Dutch vs Russia

Post by Garja »

Why no schooners? I't not too different from Port vs Dutch MU.
Image Image Image
France [Armag] diarouga
Ninja
NWC LAN Gold
ESO: diarouga

Post by [Armag] diarouga »

bwinner1 wrote:
[Armag] diarouga wrote:
Show hidden quotes

Yes your eco will be great but dutch will age for free (while it's tough against a 5coss pressure), and you're going to lose your extra eco to his age 3 push.

I was more thinking about a normal start and then go water without schooners with juste 1 dock, using wood cartes.

Why would you do that?
If you do that too early he'll be allowed to age for free.
And if you do that after he ages you'll have less eco and your units will be worse (because you're age 2 vs age 3), so that doesn't really make sense.

The only way it works is if your opponent stays in colonial but that would be a big mistake.
France [Armag] diarouga
Ninja
NWC LAN Gold

Garja wrote:Why no schooners? I't not too different from Port vs Dutch MU.

It is. The Port water boom is faster, and reaching the 3rd age like 2 min earlier allows you to get some fregates and defend the water or deal with the falcs.
Australia Hazza54321
Pro Player
Winter Champion 2020 x2Donator 01
ESO: PrinceofBabu

Post by Hazza54321 »

i feel like russia water can be fine vs dutch honestly, they dont have falcs and strel bh can buy alot of time for you to get kalmucks or manchu or whatever
France [Armag] diarouga
Ninja
NWC LAN Gold

Hazza54321 wrote:i feel like russia water can be fine vs dutch honestly, they dont have falcs and strel bh can buy alot of time for you to get kalmucks or manchu or whatever

Dutch should go for an art fondry and falcs vs a Russian water boom. What can Russia do against that?
Australia Hazza54321
Pro Player
Winter Champion 2020 x2Donator 01
ESO: PrinceofBabu

Post by Hazza54321 »

[Armag] diarouga wrote:
Hazza54321 wrote:i feel like russia water can be fine vs dutch honestly, they dont have falcs and strel bh can buy alot of time for you to get kalmucks or manchu or whatever

Dutch should go for an art fondry and falcs vs a Russian water boom. What can Russia do against that?

dutch push isnt exactly fast and u cant add huss really if youre doing ruy falc so strel and a couple of culvs is fine, can even build and foundary in transition to 3rd
France [Armag] diarouga
Ninja
NWC LAN Gold

Hazza54321 wrote:
[Armag] diarouga wrote:

dutch push isnt exactly fast and u cant add huss really if youre doing ruy falc so strel and a couple of culvs is fine, can even build and foundary in transition to 3rd

Nah, this is just too slow. Also you can go double stable+art fondry and add some huss. You don't need more than 15-20 ruyts if the Russian guy doesn't make cossacks, also the Russian water semi ff is super slow so you'll get iddled forever because you get the culvs.
Canada Mitoe
Advanced Theory Craftsman
ESO: Mitoe
GameRanger ID: 346407

Post by Mitoe »

You can't always add huss. Sometimes you don't have enough food left in your base. Map is pretty important in this matchup, actually.

I think this matchup is close. Dutch has some decent Colonial timings that can work if Russia is too greedy, and some good semi builds to avoid Russia's timings, but it's not an easy win by any means. It really comes down to how many resources Dutch has in base. They don't need map as badly as other civs because of banks, but you can't always afford to go 4 or 5 banks against Russia, and hunts are still pretty important.

On Russia's side you want to try to force them into sending CM & 8 pike early or cutting some banks, possibly denying some herding in the process as well. They need to keep up the pressure to make a Fortress age up uncomfortable without over-committing under the Town Center. Depending on how the game goes Russia can also invest into Stagecoach or an early Fortress age up themselves (probably not recommended most of the time) and abuse Dutch's weakness to falcs in early Fortress to try to kill a bank or two.

Eventually it just comes down to whether or not Dutch can break the blockhouse at some point before they have to leave their base for hunts or--god forbid--transition to mills.
Italy Garja
Retired Contributor
Donator 02
ESO: Garja

Post by Garja »

[Armag] diarouga wrote:
Garja wrote:Why no schooners? I't not too different from Port vs Dutch MU.

It is. The Port water boom is faster, and reaching the 3rd age like 2 min earlier allows you to get some fregates and defend the water or deal with the falcs.

It isn't really faster. The only difference is that Port booms from 2 TCs, but then again Russia has faster vill training. Age up time can also be very similar. Reason why you're used to see a difference is because the Russian player does something in colo.
Image Image Image
No Flag deleted_user
Ninja

Post by deleted_user »

Also Russian units are free after boyars, cav combat, and strelet combat. As in, nearly literally free.
Malaysia Aizamk
Pro Player
ESOC WarChiefs Classic 2017

Post by Aizamk »

I think it gets difficult for Dutch once Russia hits that critical mass of 27 priests.
oranges.
Canada Mitoe
Advanced Theory Craftsman
ESO: Mitoe
GameRanger ID: 346407

Post by Mitoe »

Aizamk wrote:I think it gets difficult for Dutch once Russia hits that critical mass of 27 priests.

32 Priests, gotta comepsnate for the fact that he has 5 envoys.
France [Armag] diarouga
Ninja
NWC LAN Gold

Mitoe wrote:You can't always add huss. Sometimes you don't have enough food left in your base. Map is pretty important in this matchup, actually.

If your opponent is going for a water boom you'll have enough food, don't worry.

I think this matchup is close.

+1

Dutch has some decent Colonial timings that can work if Russia is too greedy, and some good semi builds to avoid Russia's timings, but it's not an easy win by any means.

I don't know this MU that well, but from my experience colonial timings only work against a greedy russian, else it's hopeless, right?

It really comes down to how many resources Dutch has in base. They don't need map as badly as other civs because of banks, but you can't always afford to go 4 or 5 banks against Russia, and hunts are still pretty important.

On Russia's side you want to try to force them into sending CM & 8 pike early or cutting some banks, possibly denying some herding in the process as well. They need to keep up the pressure to make a Fortress age up uncomfortable without over-committing under the Town Center. Depending on how the game goes Russia can also invest into Stagecoach or an early Fortress age up themselves (probably not recommended most of the time) and abuse Dutch's weakness to falcs in early Fortress to try to kill a bank or two.

Eventually it just comes down to whether or not Dutch can break the blockhouse at some point before they have to leave their base for hunts or--god forbid--transition to mills.