Japan start

Hungary Dsy
Lancer

Japan start

Post by Dsy »

Hi guys!

I always found japan start is outdated. Maybe im wrong (you can discuss) but i write down my reasons:

Current strat:
Get 200w from crates - build consulate
Chop 107w - build shrine

My strat:
Build shrine from 200w - assign it to wood
Chop the needed wood for consulate

So my point is: I think there is no much reason to risk vill pop cap with the old strat when the saved wood from the old strat is completely compensated by the shrine which starts to gather earlier.
What do you think?
France [Armag] diarouga
Ninja
NWC LAN Gold
ESO: diarouga

Re: Japan start

Post by [Armag] diarouga »

You should never get housed if you macro properly. I haven't done the maths but saving 18w thanks to the consulate discount is probably better than having a shrine gathering ealier.
Hungary Dsy
Lancer

Post by Dsy »

Even if its better (i didnt calculate) its probably 10w.
However if you build shrine earlier, you will Never get housed. Plus you can focus on more exploring and treasure hunting since for this strat much less APM required.
Hungary Dsy
Lancer

Post by Dsy »

I made a mistake and calculated with 0.1 gather rate.
However since it has 0.42 when hunts are nerby. It means every 10 sec 4 wood. Since you can finish consulate for the best case for 60 sec it means with my strat you probably also overgather the old.
Canada Mitoe
Advanced Theory Craftsman
ESO: Mitoe
GameRanger ID: 346407

Post by Mitoe »

I agree with you! This is something I've done for a few years now (or at least, when I think of it--I often forget), except it's only good if you have enough starting hunt inside your base to also fill your wonder. If you place the shrine immediately--even on a 300w start--you will gather just enough or more to compensate for the fact that you didn't wait for the Portuguese Consulate (especially if you have livestock already, like on Tibet for example).

Another nice thing about doing this--as long as the starting hunt is large enough--is that the shrine will tether that hunt to that location, meaning you can place your wonder there as well without needing to worry about the animals wandering away and leaving you with a 0/8 wonder.

This also frees up your monks to be more active instead of needing to pause to find a hunt to construct your shrine.

Edit: MATH

0.35*60 = 21 wood (I lowered it from 0.42 to 0.35 to compensate for the fact that sometimes the animals don't gather from the shrine immediately)

It also occurs to me that 60 seconds isn't quite the right number, as it also takes a couple of seconds to actually ally with Port. Not to mention sometimes you might be in the middle of taking a treasure or something when you do finally ally, delaying your shrine even further. Oh, AND you will sometimes get your first shipment faster because normally your shrine will come up after you've sent your first card.

So yes, it is always better to build the shrine first as long as you have enough hunt close by to do so.
Isle of Man UpMySleeves
Dragoon
GameRanger ID: 7309280

Post by UpMySleeves »

@Dsy So you still gather 200w for consulate before aging up or you do that in transition?
Never trust a man in a blue trench coat, never drive a car when you're dead
Hungary Dsy
Lancer

Post by Dsy »

UpMySleeves wrote:@Dsy So you still gather 200w for consulate before aging up or you do that in transition?

You need to build consulate before aging up i think. You get lot of discount to ageing with Port ally.
Plus you need to start shrine or water boom instantly when aging. If you delay those its a significant loss in eco.
No Flag tedere12
Jaeger

Post by tedere12 »

I always do that. I skip consulate tho because I want a forward consulate
France [Armag] diarouga
Ninja
NWC LAN Gold
ESO: diarouga

Post by [Armag] diarouga »

Interesting. Buakaw used to do that.
Tuvalu gibson
Ninja
ECL Reigning Champs

Post by gibson »

I think its a wash either way. Yea you get the shrine xp sooner, but you get the cons xp later. You also start scouting late cause you're building a shrine at 0:01
Australia Hazza54321
Pro Player
Winter Champion 2020 x2Donator 01
ESO: PrinceofBabu

Post by Hazza54321 »

I think its too irrelevant to matter tbh
Italy Garja
Retired Contributor
Donator 02
ESO: Garja

Post by Garja »

I believe you miss some opportunity if you find a wood treasure when you're done gathering wood but cons is not built yet.
Image Image Image
United States of America SoldieR
Pro Player
ESO: SoldieR

Post by SoldieR »

You would actually have more opportunity to take full advantage of wood tres because you're now gathering more wood for cons compared to 107w house. Your vils can be gathering longer but stop when you find a tres, whereas with building cons first, you are more likely to potentially over gather.
Italy Garja
Retired Contributor
Donator 02
ESO: Garja

Post by Garja »

That's actually the same. The difference is that your cons will be up later so if you get enough wood treasure for another shrine you have to wait till cons is up or you lose wood again.
Image Image Image
United States of America Amsel_
Howdah
ESO: The_Amsel

Post by Amsel_ »

That's a cool idea; I'll have to try it out. There are so many times I've done the current strat and got rekt because I got distracted. Japan is a fun civ, but I never enjoyed their age 1.