Scouting.

India Shikari
Dragoon
ESO: rahuru

Scouting.

Post by Shikari »

Some should really make a guide to scouting pattern in age 1 or early age 2. I just scout everything starting from my tc in a circle and expand. though it is not inefficient i think but still believe there is more to it. Really some pro player should make a guide. Not talking about scouting guide that mitoe already did.
Netherlands edeholland
ESOC Community Team
Donator 01
ESO: edeholland
GameRanger ID: 4053888
Clan: ESOC

Re: Scouting.

Post by edeholland »

What's wrong with the scouting guide Mitoe made?
India Challenger_Marco
ESOC Media Team
ESO: challenger_marco

Post by Challenger_Marco »

Shikari wrote:Some should really make a guide to scouting pattern in age 1 or early age 2. I just scout everything starting from my tc in a circle and expand. though it is not inefficient i think but still believe there is more to it. Really some pro player should make a guide. Not talking about scouting guide that mitoe already did.

just go out of the map first with your explorer ez scouting.
:nwc:
Canada Mitoe
Advanced Theory Craftsman
ESO: Mitoe
GameRanger ID: 346407

Post by Mitoe »

edeholland wrote:What's wrong with the scouting guide Mitoe made?

Probably because I focused more on what to look for in the opponent's base than actual scouting patterns in age 1 or anything like that.

This is a bit complicated because of how different some civs are in age 1 and also because of differences between maps and stuff. In general, though, I would say you probably should never scout in a circle around you base. You usually want to get out on the map as soon as possible and start looking for larger treasures, and even if you don't think you can take them safely it's good to know where they are so you can keep an eye on them and contest if your opponent goes for them. Although there are a few maps--especially on RE patch--where you might want to scout for a 2nd hunt right away so you don't need to waste villager seconds panic scouting for that hunt in transition to Colonial. This depends a little bit on the matchup.

Your villagers can pick up or contest the smaller treasures inside your base. The only exception to this rule is if that starting treasure is directly in the path of your explorer as you move out onto the map, or if you really need the resources fast for some reason.

As for actual scouting pattern, I'll try to simplify the Discovery Age a little bit:

1) Playing a civ with multiple scouts

If you don't understand how treasures spawn on the map, as a general rule of thumb I would say just send your explorer into the middle of the map and then cover one of the sides with your scout. The reason you want to do this is so that your explorer will be equidistant to different parts of the map, giving you the opportunity to quickly move down towards a good treasure if you scout it with your 2nd scout, or if your scout doesn't find anything worthwhile, you can easily move up to the other side of the map to look for better treasures. It also puts you within good distance of any treasures your opponent may try to take, making it easy to find your opponent's explorer and contest anything he might try to take.

Of course, many maps--especially ESOC maps--will follow certain rules with how treasures spawn, and if you know where the treasures/livestock is going to spawn then you should try to go to those locations as soon as possible most of the time instead of following a strict scouting pattern.

2) Playing a civ with 1 scout (Sioux doesn't count)
This is a little bit more matchup dependent, because some civs really need to keep their explorers alive so that they can construct Trading Posts (e.g. Germany/Ottoman), or to scout for some kind of cheese and stuff later (e.g. British). So in general you might want to play a little bit more passive by scouting corners of the map for treasures where your opponent will have a hard time contesting you, or else just scouting a lot of the treasures without starting any, and trying to contest if your opponent goes for any.

You will usually come out behind in age 1 as one of these civs, but the important thing is keeping your explorer alive.

3) Livestock Maps
On livestock maps you should pretty much never ever scout around your base. You should always attempt to do this as much as possible with livestock, unless you're playing against a civ like Sioux or France, who can be on your side of the map with a scouting unit very quickly. In that case you should scout the back parts of your base with your livestock but never the sides or front, unless you know for sure he isn't there. If you're playing against a civ with only 1 scout, you can be a lot more assertive with your livestock scouts, especially if you can find out where your opponent's explorer is.

Anyway, there's more to it than that in certain situations/matchups/maps, but that's the basics. I think Diarouga made a more in-depth post about this a few years ago outlining how you should scout specific maps--maybe he can link it or something.

It's also worth mentioning that you should break habitual scouting patterns every once in a while, especially if you are playing against the same opponents frequently enough. Unpredictability is sometimes worth more than efficiency.
France [Armag] diarouga
Ninja
NWC LAN Gold
ESO: diarouga

Post by [Armag] diarouga »

I did write a scouting guide.
Australia Hazza54321
Pro Player
Winter Champion 2020 x2Donator 01
ESO: PrinceofBabu

Post by Hazza54321 »

Leave scouting for bloser in his botto guide pls, ty
India Shikari
Dragoon

Post by Shikari »

Their is nothing on that dairouga post just a full stop.
France [Armag] diarouga
Ninja
NWC LAN Gold
ESO: diarouga

Post by [Armag] diarouga »

I don't have the translated version anymore. Still, you can find it in French there :
http://ageofempirefrance.forumactif.org ... er-l-age-1
India Shikari
Dragoon

Post by Shikari »

Hmm i know bonjour and je m'appelle. Lets see how much can i understand it.