Optimal Hotkeys

Great Britain TheNameDaniel
Advanced Player
Donator 01
ESO: danielek

Optimal Hotkeys

Post by TheNameDaniel »

So I'm still using the default hotkeys, sometimes its hard to make units but ive gotten used to them now but I was wondering how other players have set up their hotkeys and settings. would anyone like to share theirs?
Bhutan jgals
Lancer
ESO: OstiferButthole

Re: Optimal Hotkeys

Post by jgals »

I use
Caps lock for TC
A for villager
. for idle vil
scroll wheel for select all unit
Forward custom mouse button (ATT move)
space - center on building/unit
I DISABLE auto CENTER ON UNIT/ BUILDING when hotkey so that I can make vil without going back to TC
? is explorer
D is crackshot/stun (although I have to change this depending on civ)
F is convert guardian.
I think that's it.
Rainbow Land onfiregun17
Skirmisher
ESO: onfiregun17

Post by onfiregun17 »

For the most part I just use Mr Milo's hotkeys. The only big changes I've made to those hotkeys are eject all units to N and switching control groups 6-9 to F1-F4.
Austria Jerimuno
Advanced Player
ESO: Jerimuno
GameRanger ID: 9241516

Post by Jerimuno »

for creating units i use default hotkeys too

there is only one hotkey that i really enjoy using, and couldnt play without, namely shift+y for find idle villagers. by using this you automatically select a group of idle vills which are closeby somewhere on the map (and not all of your idle vils all across the map).
France Aykin Haraka
Howdah
EWT
ESO: aykin

Post by Aykin Haraka »

default hotkeys best hotkeys
Bhutan jgals
Lancer

Post by jgals »

onfiregun17 wrote:For the most part I just use Mr Milo's hotkeys. The only big changes I've made to those hotkeys are eject all units to N and switching control groups 6-9 to F1-F4.

I thought that is a standard hotkey lol. Thats what mine is too
Rainbow Land onfiregun17
Skirmisher
ESO: onfiregun17

Post by onfiregun17 »

jgals wrote:
onfiregun17 wrote:For the most part I just use Mr Milo's hotkeys. The only big changes I've made to those hotkeys are eject all units to N and switching control groups 6-9 to F1-F4.

That's just for the TC actually. Under "Command Hotkeys" there's another field called "Eject Units" that effects outposts, castles, etc. I find it useful to just have one key that also affects those. Useful for ungarrisoning/vill hopping when you need to.
Bhutan jgals
Lancer

Post by jgals »

onfiregun17 wrote:
jgals wrote:

That's just for the TC actually. Under "Command Hotkeys" there's another field called "Eject Units" that effects outposts, castles, etc. I find it useful to just have one key that also affects those. Useful for ungarrisoning/vill hopping when you need to.

Thats OP I've always done those manually, docks towers etc. I just assumed the hotkey didn't work for it.
No Flag deleted_user
Ninja

Post by deleted_user »

jgals wrote:
onfiregun17 wrote:
Show hidden quotes

Thats OP I've always done those manually, docks towers etc. I just assumed the hotkey didn't work for it.

If you read my hotkey guide you'd know this.
Denmark crjensen4
Dragoon
Donator 07
ESO: crjensen4

Post by crjensen4 »

Just get the Zboard Age of Empires III Keyset
Belgium stanleywinston
Dragoon
Beginner Division WinnerDonator 01
ESO: Stanley_Winston

Post by stanleywinston »

I've remapped every unit type to a specific key:

- Heavy infantry/cavalry: A/Q (sepoy, musketeer, ashigaru - cuirassier, war wagon, mahout...)
- Light cavalry: Z/W (hussar, axe rider, cossack, uhlan, sowar, coyote ...)
- Light infantry/cav: E (skirmisher, cassador, gurkha, yumi, longbow, maces - dragoon, zamburak, ruyter, ...)
- Any other unit type: R (lancer, rifle-rider, howdah, pikemen, warclub, puma ...)
- If there occur mapping problems: D (halberdier/rodelero, doppelsoldner...)

which makes every civ the same to play as the unit types are all the same and you don't have to wonder about the hotkey for the specific unit, just the unit type. For buildings it's the default hotkeys.

Mellee/Volley mode is also remapped to:

X for melee/pack cannons
V for volley/unpack cannons
C for covermode
No Flag deleted_user
Ninja

Post by deleted_user »

stanleywinston wrote:I've remapped every unit type to a specific key:

- Heavy infantry/cavalry: A/Q (sepoy, musketeer, ashigaru - cuirassier, war wagon, mahout...)
- Light infantry/cav: E (skirmisher, cassador, gurkha, yumi, longbow, maces - dragoon, zamburak, ruyter, ...)
- Any other unit type: R (lancer, rifle-rider, howdah, pikemen, warclub, puma ...)

which makes every civ the same to play as the unit types are all the same and you don't have to wonder about the hotkey for the specific unit, just the unit type. For buildings it's the default hotkeys.

X for melee/pack cannons
C for covermode

Stanley loseton
India Shikari
Dragoon
ESO: rahuru

Post by Shikari »

How much time does it even saves to make units with a hotkey instead of just clicking it. I use hotkey for every thing just not for making unit. I wonder is it worth learning it.
Australia Kawapasaka
ESOC Pro Team

Post by Kawapasaka »

Shikari wrote:How much time does it even saves to make units with a hotkey instead of just clicking it. I use hotkey for every thing just not for making unit. I wonder is it worth learning it.

Definitely worth it, you don't want to waste precious mouse time finishing reinforcing batches in the middle of a fight. Doesn't take very long to learn either, I just started using the MrMilo set-up the other day and am pretty used to it already.
Belgium stanleywinston
Dragoon
Beginner Division WinnerDonator 01
ESO: Stanley_Winston

Post by stanleywinston »

deleted_user wrote:
stanleywinston wrote:I've remapped every unit type to a specific key:

X for melee/pack cannons
C for covermode

Stanley loseton

Sad but true
Brazil Majora_
Musketeer
ESO: Majora_

Post by Majora_ »

deleted_user wrote:
jgals wrote:
Show hidden quotes

If you read my hotkey guide you'd know this.

where is it?
Brazil Majora_
Musketeer
ESO: Majora_

Post by Majora_ »

Jerimuno wrote:for creating units i use default hotkeys too

there is only one hotkey that i really enjoy using, and couldnt play without, namely shift+y for find idle villagers. by using this you automatically select a group of idle vills which are closeby somewhere on the map (and not all of your idle vils all across the map).

that was op! thx
France flontier
Lancer
Intermediate Division Winner
ESO: Flontier
Clan: PLOP

Post by flontier »

Is there any left handed here among the top players to post their hotkeys ? I am and I had a hard time to find good set up without having to cross too much my arm on the keyboard.
Canada Mitoe
Advanced Theory Craftsman
ESO: Mitoe
GameRanger ID: 346407

Post by Mitoe »

Armenia Sargsyan
Jaeger
Donator 01
ESO: lamergamer
Clan: c0ns

Post by Sargsyan »

flontier wrote:Is there any left handed here among the top players to post their hotkeys ? I am and I had a hard time to find good set up without having to cross too much my arm on the keyboard.

I'm left handed and i don't see any problem regarding oneself being left or right handed, either way you're using your right hand for the mouse and you set up the hotkeys on the left side of the keyboard
krichk wrote:For some reason, you want the world to know that you're brave enough to challenge Challenger_Marco
France flontier
Lancer
Intermediate Division Winner
ESO: Flontier
Clan: PLOP

Post by flontier »

Sargsyan wrote:
flontier wrote:Is there any left handed here among the top players to post their hotkeys ? I am and I had a hard time to find good set up without having to cross too much my arm on the keyboard.

I'm left handed and i don't see any problem regarding oneself being left or right handed, either way you're using your right hand for the mouse and you set up the hotkeys on the left side of the keyboard

I dont get what you mean by using the right hand for the mouse, if im left handed how can i ? im not sure to be able to launch the game if i control the mouse with my wrong hand on my desktop.
Armenia Sargsyan
Jaeger
Donator 01

Post by Sargsyan »

flontier wrote:
Sargsyan wrote:

I dont get what you mean by using the right hand for the mouse, if im left handed how can i ? im not sure to be able to launch the game if i control the mouse with my wrong hand on my desktop.

Wait you control the mouse with your left hand ? That sounds weird tbh haha
krichk wrote:For some reason, you want the world to know that you're brave enough to challenge Challenger_Marco
Great Britain WickedCossack
Retired Contributor

Post by WickedCossack »

Not left handed but I do play using my left hand on the mouse so this should still be valid. I also think my hotkeys are not that great but I'm not going to change them after 10 years out of habit, far too much effort. But for your interests the main keys are as follows:

1-3: Army
4: TC
5-6: Rax & Stable
E: Villager & House

I usually rest my first finger on E, and the next fingers on 4, 5 & 6. Thumb chills on the left hand side of the space bar (homecity.)

Use fingers to 1a 2a 3a. I also have idle villager on Q for easy access. S ungarrison at TC.

Other keys you shouldn't copy with this set up I use B for TC (hit with thumb) and G for barracks (also thumb) M&L&I for market, plant & mill (hard to hit.) These if I had the care to do so should all really be moved to W,Z,X etc.

D for dock still works with this though, just want to avoid keys on the right.

I don't use unit hotkeys but if you did you should be using QWERTAS with this setup.
No Flag deleted_user
Ninja

Post by deleted_user »

WickedCossack wrote:

Not left handed but I do play using my left hand on the mouse so this should still be valid. I also think my hotkeys are not that great but I'm not going to change them after 10 years out of habit, far too much effort. But for your interests the main keys are as follows:

1-3: Army
4: TC
5-6: Rax & Stable
E: Villager & House

I usually rest my first finger on E, and the next fingers on 4, 5 & 6. Thumb chills on the left hand side of the space bar (homecity.)

Use fingers to 1a 2a 3a. I also have idle villager on Q for easy access. S ungarrison at TC.

Other keys you shouldn't copy with this set up I use B for TC (hit with thumb) and G for barracks (also thumb) M&L&I for market, plant & mill (hard to hit.) These if I had the care to do so should all really be moved to W,Z,X etc.

D for dock still works with this though, just want to avoid keys on the right.

I don't use unit hotkeys but if you did you should be using QWERTAS with this setup.

How does this ever work
Armenia Sargsyan
Jaeger
Donator 01

Post by Sargsyan »

Jerimuno wrote:for creating units i use default hotkeys too

I looked for this hotkey today but couldn't find it, theres only "find idle villager" or "find all idle villagers".
Did you add this hotkey manually into game files ?