A Comprehensive British Guide

India Challenger_Marco
ESOC Media Team
ESO: challenger_marco

A Comprehensive British Guide

Post by Challenger_Marco »

Hey guys ,Many new players seems to be having problems with british and hence i wanted to reply them and in turn i wrote a guide! This is a comprehensive guide which contains all info ,some of the content were taken from esoc but rest of it is written by me ,i hope it helps and gives you comeplete understand of the civ! :smile:
Comprehensive British Guide

ImageImageImageImage

Written by Challenger_Marco

Introduction:
British used to be a powerful civilization in the history, Are they Powerful in AOE 3 too? Yes they are, they have insane economy with manor boom and their units are very strong. Their best units are Musketeers and Hussars, however they have their unique units which can interest you. Longbowmen (lb) and Rockets (available in age 4 from factories and home city shipments) which are unique for this civilization and lb are the best unit for light infantry as they pay off really well for their cheap price.
So letā€™s straight away jump into the gameā€¦ So as playing British you start with 1 explorer, 6 crates and 6 settlers. Having that said what I need you to do is watch or observe carefully and quickly before the timer starts what crates have been spawned, Notice that crate spawn varies each game & itā€™s not fixed! So you need to follow different order in age 1 for different crate spawns, which is what Iā€™m going to explain in this guide, along with various strategies you could do, timings, macro/micro, deck guide, card order, build order, long term and short term plan, map guide, switching units, lastly some bonus contents.

Unit Guide:
ImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImage

First Step: Have a good deck
Having a good deck is essential for optimal play, many times card matters and if you have bad/wrong cards you might lose the game. I have seen many players do good strategy but due to a bad deck, players loose, I donā€™t want that to happen to you so, I will paste some decks with variations so you can use it. I recommend having a 60-80+ home city level, now that xp mod is available I donā€™t think lack of cards is going to be an issue.

[spoiler=For maps with Trading Posts]For maps with Trading Posts:
This is the deck you want to use in trading post map if you start with 300w.

Some Variations:
> You can remove those 2 Cavalry HP and attack upgrade cards and add 4 settlers or 700 f or Advanced Arsenal card + 600 g or The Glorious Revolution(The church card) or Improved Grenades.
> You can also remove theFort wagon card and add a unit shipment in age 3 like 9 Musketeers. (Fort is for map control)
Points to consider:
> You can have 4 settlers card if youā€™re playing vs a civilization which can raid you a lot (Example: Germans).
> You can have 700 f + 600 g in your deck if you want to mass more and push or pressure harder in age 2 and also because of bad hunts you may have 700 f.
> you can have 9 Musketeers if you feel like fort is not going to do anything, fort is useful for some mid-late games, generally place fort near your fb to make it stronger or place near sea or covering a lot of natural resources.
> You can have the Improved Grenades if your going to cheese with grenadiers rush (in a rare way).
> You can have the The Glorious Revolution(The church card) for 8 Black watches (Highlanders, cost 1000 f, available in age 3) and 26 Rogerā€™s Rangers (Guard Skirmishers with slightly increased stats, cost 2000 g, available in age 4)
> You can have the Advanced Arsenal card. Helpful in long gameā€¦again rarely used.[/spoiler]

[spoiler=For Maps without Trading Posts]For maps without Trading Posts:
Some Variations:
> Same variation as the above deck (1v1 TP), you can have 4 settlers card already so need to worry about raids much :smile:.[/spoiler]

[spoiler=For Water maps]For Water maps:
This is all in water play deck or full water deck which should be used if you spawn on a map which has full water like Honshu, Indochina, Bayou, and Amazonia etc. The reason for going water is that you have less resources on land so switching to mills and plantations so early is very bad and sea is better in terms of gathering etc, you might encounter ship wars if your opponent goes water too. So I have all the right cards in the deck necessary for each different situation.
Some variations:
> You can remove the Cavalry HP card and add Team Infantry HP card.
Map variation:
> Some maps have water + TP or Land covered with minimal water in that case, you need to have Semi water deck where the plan is to play on land and then move on to sea after the natural resources are exhausted.[/spoiler]

[spoiler=For Semi Water play]For Semi Water play:
> Again there are some variations in this deck if you start with 300 w, then pick a deck with Virginia Company (VC) in it, remove 8 settlers and replace it with VC.
> I think Fort is good on water maps, so have it :smile:.[/spoiler]

[spoiler=For Team on Land Maps]For Team on Land maps:

Image[/spoiler]

[spoiler=For Team on Water maps]For Team on water maps:
Same as the 1v1 deck for full water
Image[/spoiler]

[spoiler=For Team Semi Water play]For Team Semi Water play:
Image[/spoiler]

Second Step: Learning strategies & Build orders
Alright, First step here is to learn the crate spawns first and to do the best things you need to do before age 2 or in other words being effective to going for age 2. If you have observed, the crate spawn are different every time, so following the same build, like building houses when you get a gold start is not wise strategy, as there is a better option in that case, so I will be teaching you what you should build and research according to the crates.

Good crate spawns:
I will call the spawned crates are good if you get 600 resources of crates in total else, itā€™s a bad spawn, but you can still play the game with what you have it is not going to affect you that much.
1. 300 :food: 300 :wood:
2. 300 :food: 200 :wood: 100 :coin:
1. Spread all of your vills to each of the crates and queue the first vill asap, if youā€™re playing on a TP map get a TP with your explorer and chop 35w and get a house, so on TP maps, you exactly build 1 TP and 1 House in age 1.
If itā€™s a non TP map, you can build 3 manors, so you need to chop 100w and if by any means you found some good coin treasures you can build 1 market and research Hunting dogs, so 1 House 1 Market and age.
2. The same thing, spreading of vills all the time. Always 1 vill on 1 crate. Then, you build 1 manor and 1 market and research Hunting Dogs and age.

Bad crate spawns:
1. 200 :food: 200 :wood: 100 :coin:
2. 200 :food: 300 :wood:
1. Same as the one mentioned in 2nd case in good spawn.
2. Same as the one mentioned in 1st case in good spawn.

How many vills are you supposed to put on wood?
Most of the time 3 vills on wood to get all the things done as I mentioned above, rest of the vills on food and new vills onto food too.

General Thumb rule:
1 manor =16 vill age up
2 manors =17 vill age up
3 manors =18 vill age up
For fast age up you need to count down 1 vill from each of the things I said above, so it goes 15, 16, and 17.
Any big wood treasures you get invest it on manor and you get an extra vill.

The Market Micro:
Ok, many would have been thinking how I utilise the market effectively? I donā€™t want to draw out a big drama on this, itā€™s just simple, sometimes you can just build market first and then trade gold to wood and get a manor asap (if you found a lot of coin treasures), this is the most effective way of doing and makes you a lot faster, it takes 126 gold to buy 100w, if you have 100g just mine 26 more and trade it to wood since vills gather wood the slowest out of all resources and hence itā€™s better.

How to manage macro as brits?
This is a common problem for everyone as there are so many vills and you will be floating a lot of resources, so you need to manage your vill distribution perfectly onto three resources food wood and gold, if you start with food and gold units and then once you have enough vills for full production of those units , rest of the vills on wood and you need to start booming with manors and get 20 manors in age 2 if you are staying longer in that age, if youā€™re going with food and wood type of unit(lb, pike) you need to start switching vills from food and wood accordingly after you start getting full batches & switch them to gold and start getting market upgrades etc and balance the resource distribution. If by any means you happen float a lot of wood invest it on outposts when your gathering outside the map to help you save you from big raids.

What politician to pick to age 2?

Aging timings:
1. Fast age up before 3:00 mins (ok)
2. 3-3:05 normal age up time (standard)
3. 3:10-3:15+ late age (bad)
It exactly takes 90 seconds to reach age 2.

What to do in age 3/age 4?
You can boom hard by making 3 Town Centres and making vills from them and start sending eco upgrades cards if youā€™re playing team, and if you reach to age 4 you can send the Estates card and make 20 vills from manors asap but this rarely happens in 1v1 so yeah in team games.
Finishing with this, we will be jumping onto build orders.

Build Orders:
1. Musketeers + Tower (standard)
2. Cav start
3. LB and pike start
4. x2 Musketeers rush
5. 3 Caravel Rush (On Water maps)
6. VC BOOM

Common age 1 card: For all these strategy you will send 3v first.
If you happen to start with 300w and on a TP map get a Trading Post and always send both 3v and VC so that you can get a manor extra or more during transition.

[spoiler=The Musketeers + Tower build]The Musketeers + Tower build
Note:
The Build order that Iā€™m about to say is common till 600w/4vills after that itā€™s your choice sending, unit upgrades if you have large mass or unit shipments for more pressure and 700g for aging depends on what your opponent does, same goes with age 3, The first card is always dependent 2 Falconets for more pressure and rest is Eco cards and Fort is for map control.

The BO:
> Age 1- 3v
> Age 2- 700w, 5v, 600w, Musketeer/Grenadier damage card or 6 Musketeers (for more pressure to the opponent), Musketeer/Grenadier HP card, 700g or 6 lbs, after you ship 700 g, you need to go age 3
> Age 3- 2 Falconets or 1000 w or Musketeer/Grenadier Combat card, and military unit shipments (9 Musketeers or 5 Hussars or 10 lbs) accordingly to counter what opponent has.
> Age 4- 2 Rockets and 2 Factories (Factory wagon and Robber Barons).

So now there is no need to explain what you need to do in age 1, I guess so, age with The Governor politician (Outpost wagon and 200 g), after aging all vills on wood, if you havenā€™t got a market yet, get it and research Hunting Dogs and build 1 manor else 2 manors and chop 200w and save it as you age up, send 2 vills forward near hunts/mines and drop down immediately a Barracks and the Outpost next to it. Collect 200 g from the age up crates with 2 vills each on single crate and rest of your vills on food, just donā€™t overgather wood, and remember to keep constant vill production all the time. So as soon as you finished building your Barracks, queue 1 Musketeer and make it to 5 and get full batch. Then put some 3-5 vills on gold rest on food. As soon as 700w arrives, collect with 3-4 vills and get another Barracks and research Steel Traps and build as much as manors as you can with the remaining wood. The 2nd Barracks will be built near you 1st one indeed. So for x2 Musketeer production have like 8-9 vills on gold now rest on food then ship 5 v put it on food then ship 600w to invest it in placer mines then manors, at this point you should have enough food and gold income and now vills go to wood, so research Gang Saw from your market before that and vills on wood and boom to 200pop i.e. 20 manors, and rest is up to you.[/spoiler]

[spoiler=The Cav start Build]The Cav start Build
The BO:
> Age 1- 3v
> Age 2- 5v, 700w, 600w, upgrade or unit shipments or 700g.
> Age 3 - Same as the above BO.
> Age 4 - Same as the above BO.
Age with The Philosopher Prince politician (500f). All vills on wood. Here, you have to get 50 pop before reaching age 2 so build that many manors as you can during transition. If youā€™re unable to do that because of minimal/no wood treasures, you can always send 700w as first card in age 2 ,else you send 5 v always, so chop and get 50 pop and 200w extra to build a Stable and then put some 8-10 vills on gold and collect food from the age up crates with 2 vills and rest on food and when 5v shipment comes, task them either on food or gold to get full batch of Hussars, here you donā€™t need market first, you can get it after you get 700w (and research food and gold up) and manors and 600w invested to manors etc same as mentioned in the previous build. Only thing varies is 5v first.[/spoiler]
[spoiler=Lb and pike start Build]Lb and pike start Build
The BO:
> Age 1- 3v
> Age 2- 700w, 600w, and 5v, (same as mentioned above)
> Age 3- Refer to the Musketeers + Tower build.
> Age 4- Refer to the Musketeers + Tower build.
Age with The Philosopher Prince politician (500f). All vills on wood get 2 manors and research Gang Saw, collect 200w and put 5-6 vills on wood and rest on food and you keep some vills to gold to research Steel Traps then all vills onto food and wood basically have more vills on wood than food. Send 2 vills forward before hitting age 2, drop a Barracks immediately and make 5 Pikes and then lbs, starting with pikes is safer because a lot of civs go for cav start.
Then once you get 700w build another Barracks and then some manors, keep some wood saved for the units you make too. Donā€™t completely invest on manors. Then 600w, 5v after that. You should research 2 food upgrades and 2 wood upgrade then placer mines in your market once you have enough vills to pump units from x2 Barracks and Make a constant vill production and put vills on gold and you switch units from here to Musketeer and Hussar or aging up is up to you.

https://youtu.be/fcUvfBJQwNU[/spoiler]

[spoiler=The x2 musk rush]The x2 musk rush
The BO:
> Age 1 -3v
> Age 2-700g, 700f, 700w, musks upgrades or 5v, musk upgrade, 600w
> Age 3-Refer to Musketeers + Tower build
> Age 4-Refer to Musketeers + Tower build

The Deck:

In this strategy you will either close the game in age 2 or in rare cases age 3 because you are rushing as brits in this build! Your aim is to control the map and make your opponent starve if your rush isnā€™t as affective, and you will have chances of winning!
Age up with The Philosopher Prince politician (500f). All vills on wood after clicking. In this build you will focus on getting manors and no other things like market upgrades etc all you need in this build is more pop space so that you can survive getting housed ,after getting a lot units early on ,so in age 1 try to get manors and if you happen to start with gold start mine 26 g and gather 35w and get a extra manor and with 300w start you can go for tp + VC build on tp map ,if not 3 manors ,then during transition you get 3-4 manors if VC, else 2-3 manors and you need to have 400w before hitting to age 2 .At the same time you need to send 2 vills forward to drop 2 Barracks immediately so 1 vill on 1 rax and another on 2nd rax so you build x2 rax ~the same time. After you hit age 2 send 700g immediately and send 2-3 vills for collecting 500f and all vills on food and wait for the 700g arrives, after it arrives quickly gather it by 2-4 vills and start queing musks at both rax (x1 & x1) and by the time you finish gold you would have enough res for getting full batch of musks so you will get 10 musks ,next batch will also be 10 batch but for the third batch you will need 50 g so after you get your first batch of 10 musks put some 5 vills on gold and then extra 3 vills on gold after getting 2nd 10 musks batch and then vills made to food onlyā€¦.So after 700g Send 700f your probably want 1 more manor so switch some vills from food immediately to wood like 15 vills on wood ,anyways you will have 700f to get 10 batch of musks so ā€¦,then 700w ,then go for musk upgrade as you will have a lot of musks and then again musk upgrade then 5vā€¦ā€¦Age up if it goes late.
Recorded game (Vanilla Version): http://www.mediafire.com/file/lwwivkdtt ... e3rec/file[/spoiler]

[spoiler=The 3 Caravels rush]The 3 Caravels rush
Use the Semi Water deck for this build.
The BO:
> Age 1- 3v
> Age 2- 2 caravels, 700w, 600w, 5v, 700gā€¦.etc
> Age 3- Same as above build
> Age 4- Same as above build

This build came into existence, when GUA (GiveUAnxiety) first used it I think, and itā€™s a powerful rush in water which can destroy opponents naval and end the game. So do the normal age 1 micro and aging to 2, age with The Governor (Grants 1 Outpost wagon+ 200c), if you know for sure that your opponent goes for water by seeing him build a dock and has a water deck you can go for this build I guessā€¦.so all vills on wood during transition you need to gather 200w asap and get a Dock and then chop 300w and mine 100c asap, and some vills on food to make vills too and you age put tower near your dock so you can defend your dock if he rushes as well its just safer to put there and collect the 200c with 2 vills spread on each crate and get a caravel asap, First card in age 2 is 2 caravels put your home city flag near your dock or near to your opponentā€™s shore and harass his boats and kill his dock. After that your build can turn into either pike/lbs or musk huss.[/spoiler]

[spoiler=The VC BOOM]The VC BOOM
GoodSpeed where you at? Probably one of the coolest builds in my opinion, if you can get away with it of course, the VC Boom, or more commonly known as the ā€œGS VC Boomā€ because notably he does it best, is a very greedy British approach involving 2 prime units, the longbow and pike.
> Age I: 3 villagers to gather crates, 3 to gather food, age with ~14 or ~15 villagers any more than that would be too slow, however if you find a treasure ranging from 90f~140f either age with ~16 or just age with ~15 and be faster, up to you, and depends on MU. First card is Virginia Company (VC), Age with The Philosopher Prince politician (500f), and in transition all except 2 vills, which will be herding, on wood. Make sure to build manors after VC arrives, and build a manor before a market. Also if you started with 200w/100c build market first and gather coin to sell for wood and get a manor up, that way in transition you will be a lot faster. Keep making manors, research Gang Saw and Hunting Dogs.

> Age II: Once you have aged gather the 500f with 2v and ship 700w. With the 700w, build a lot of manors, and add a Barracks, your 2nd Barracks will be added after the 600w card arrives. You can use 400w right away for 2 rax, but I prefer more manors/villagers. Start LB or Pike depending on MU. After 600w either send 5v if youā€™re staying age 2 longer, or 700g if you want to age, eg vs Portuguese/Germans you probably want to age slightly faster to match their age III.

> Age III: So here you can basically send anything, 1000 wood, 10 lb, Yeoman, itā€™s up to you how you wish to adapt to what your opponent is doing. From here the choice is yours, either veteran pike, veteran longbow or even dragoon/longbow which brings more versatility. It is also very viable to make 5-8 spies if against Portuguese to deal with the Mamelukes timing seeing as the lb mass usually is greater than the pike mass.

https://youtu.be/yULN7xAMcik[/spoiler]

Bonus Content: Cheese Build
[spoiler=Black Watch build]https://eso-community.net/viewtopic.php?f=29&t=925
credits - Durokan[/spoiler]

Third Step: Watching Vods & Recorded Games:
After reading all the things above, time to get clarity so watch recorded games of high level players and same with videos on YouTube, I will link them below:

https://eso-community.net/recorded-games

https://www.rts-sanctuary.com/index.php ... on=TADFP12

https://pkclan.net/viewforum.php?f=2

https://eso-community.net/community-links.php

Fourth Step: Knowing the Match Ups:
[spoiler=Vs European/Nilla civs]Vs Spain: Hussar Start into Musk/Huss
Not an easy MU for Spain, some would argue itā€™s even pretty hard and heavily Brit favoured. Iā€™m too experienced with this MU but based off my knowledge with British Iā€™d have to say Hussar Start now I chose this over an lb/pike build being if Spain does age, which they almost. Certainly will with a shipment/dogs and mm to hold, if you are still doing lb/pike then you have nothing to deal with lancers/falcs, therefore Iā€™d say best way is Hussar Start and then add a Barracks off 600w and start adding, with 5-10 Hussars to start youā€™ll slow down his age up considerably.

https://youtu.be/gCWK7N3xQG4

Vs British: Musk/Tower Start
This is a no brainer, starting Hussars in a brit mirror is simply not viable seeing that if you try add Musketeers later on youā€™ll be down in mass by at least double and also down in shipment progression, lb/pike again wonā€™t cut it vs the Musketeer mass, if you do lb/pike you are also forced to play defensively and allow the other Brit player to control the entirety of the map. Adding Hussars later on is viable when villagers begin to spread around the map.

https://youtu.be/VnGxdFJRYw8

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_iq0WxcbSOI&t=13087s

Build 1

VOD: https://www.twitch.tv/videos/121716190

Card Order: 6 musk, 6 lbs, 700w, 600w.

Commentary: New Meta. This video doesn't do it justice. Against previous Meta brit mirror (700w 600w fb mid map) this build is dominating. I've beat players better than me like Risi123, KingofOsmane, cramper, (GUA?) with this build in quick fashion. Having an explorer at high health mele'ing units that pop out of the rax is key. Open to being countered by defensive fb and 700w. I want to say this is strictly viable when fbs are mid map on top of each other, but when it is, oh boy is it good. Optimally off 300w start, (2 starting manors + 3 transition manors = 60 pop). I got housed in this VOD because my opening mass was so good my units didn't die and I only had 50 pop. Alternatively you can ship 700w instead of 6 lbs as you will most likely have already broken his fb.

Build 2

VOD: https://www.twitch.tv/videos/121716679

Card Order: 700w, 600w, musk attack, musk hp

Commentary: Old Meta. I scouted his defensive fb which 6 musk is not great against, so I took map and did standard boom. Add second rax with 600wfor optimal greed. 5v isn't needed for high musk production, better to get the upgrades in first and engage, imo.

Build 3
VOD: https://www.twitch.tv/videos/121717782
Card Order: 700w, 600w, 5v, musk attack, musk hp
Commentary: Full manor boom. Open defensive lbs; age with 500f. Add musk after ~20 lbs or so and ship musk upgrade cards. Pure lb are shit pushing out vs carded musks but they excel at defending and when you decide to push out, that amount of lbows is actually nice adding dps in back and allowing for optimal musk pathing. Ideal on maps with a large amount of hunts in base as you rely on a slight economic advantage to leverage enough of a military advantage in time to push out for map. Your eco is so large add a stable too.

Outstanding Builds

Build 1: 3v, VC, 700w, musk atk, musk hp is one I have yet to experiment with but it sounds promising as you get your musk cards in one card sooner than any other build. I'm curious whether full boom off of it is optimal or not.

Build 2: Wicked Cossack's brit mirror build: 500f age up, proxy stable, 5 huss only (raid!), 700w (rax at home), 700c or 5v? (No 600w). If they push your stable, push their base with musks.

British mirror builds - https://eso-community.net/viewtopic.php?f=29&t=9867
Credits - SirCallen

Vs French: Musketeer/Tower Start/VC Semi
Personally hate this MU as Brit, and I donā€™t exactly know why, but I feel that this MU is favoured until the point where France ages, because British have a very slow age up to the Fortress not having the exiled prince option, it makes it hard for British to follow France up to deal with the dragoon/Skirm/2 falc timing. I would have to say that Musketeer/Hussar pressure would work effectively however might not be enough to stop France from aging, thus said if you do reach a considerably large Musketeer/Hussar mass then there is no shipment that France can ship to directly counter both those units effectively, the problem here is if France semis with Musketeer/Hussar they can actually hold and then age afterwards resulting in a very hard position for Brit. The option is a GoodSpeed VC Semi approach, training either 5-10 pikes to hold off any raids and then shipping 700c to age into vet lb/goon and falconets of your own gives British possibly a slight edge, however you need to anticipate the Cuirassier switch.

Vs Portuguese: VC Boom/Age
There isnā€™t many options here in my opinion, you could Hussar starts and really catch Portā€™s 3rd TC wagon, slow him down, perhaps kill a few vills but the later the game stretches that you are still in Age 2 the better it will get for Port. Iā€™d have to say booming with VC and making pikes to defend any raids is the way to go, you will still age1 min or so slower then Port to the 3rd but it wonā€™t matter seeing as Port donā€™t have the tendency to push right away and rather boom up a little more. You only run 1 risk with this BO, letting Portuguese take the TPā€™s, It wonā€™t cause a larger economic different seeing as the VC boom is very effective however you will eventually need to contest the trade route line, also you should make vet lb/ vet pike or dragoon and 2 falconets shipment to deal with organ guns/cassador mass, again be aware of the Mamelukes timing.

https://youtu.be/1DDMrA6y4zc

https://youtu.be/fcUvfBJQwNU

https://youtu.be/wXnRd6TzyVM

https://youtu.be/elcPpFLLNFI

https://youtu.be/1Xx0O7n9soA

Vs Dutch: LB/Pike Pressure
Probably a very even MU, some argue British favoured others argue Dutch favoured, it is ability of the LB that favours British in this MU in my opinion, seeing as Dutch love to mass Ruyter/Skirm and LB counter both those units very effectively it makes Dutch not so strong as they would like to be. Iā€™d say the best build here is LB/Pike aggressive pressure, if you simply allow Dutch to age then you will find yourself in a harder situation that you probably could have avoided, even though you are pressuring him with a pretty aggressive BO you are still booming behind it so you arenā€™t really sacrificing your economy and hoping all ends meet on this rush, most times start pike, 8-10 and siege houses, then add 5-10 LB.

https://youtu.be/oeMd3Cbr26o

Vs Russia: Stable start
You have probably heard already how bad Russian units are in Age II at dealing with cavalry, Hussars most of all, there is no better satisfaction cleaning up a mass of musketeers/strelets and cossacks. With only 10 Hussars and Minutemen, it puts British in an excellent position and commanding lead allowing them to do basically anything they want from that point on, once the 5/4 coss shipments are used you can basically add a Barracks from 600w and produce Hussars/Musketeers and win from there, I will say however it isnā€™t as easy on the EP seeing as Russia doesnā€™t really need to push so early and go for a huge timing push with Boyars and a mass of cossacks/strelets/musketeers and just pressure the hunts early.

https://youtu.be/Hp9SVsdACzM

https://youtu.be/V2uHmQffPuU

https://youtu.be/MfRBtL2l5zo

Vs Germans: VC Semi
Alright hands down the most interesting MU for me, because while it might seem hard for British it can also be hard for Germans, Iā€™m actually going to link 2 high level games in this MU~ GoodSpeed Vs Tibia on ESOC Kamchatka1 and one more recent, Soldier Vs IrishFaithful Autumn Championships 20162. Both these matches you see German win and you also see British win, Solider plays flawlessly in the game constantly applying pressure to the hunts and controlling the map, however the game between GoodSpeed and Tibia is one to look out for. GoodSpeed executed his build perfectly he essentially Virginia company boomed and then aged slightly after Germans training only 5-8 pikes to deal with the Uhlan raids, he trained some LB as well early to deal with the Skirmisher shipments and then aged after. Obviously we are taking arguably one of the best British players and one amazing German player but none the less It still proves that this MU is somewhat still pretty even, on the EP despite Germans having a nerf, British still struggle with the pressure on the hunts, however if they can push out and reward themselves with new hunts each time they can find themselves in a great position. Also you should expect Germans to really bring out their vills to mines around the map if Brits can control those mines with Hussars it puts Germany in a very awkward position.

https://youtu.be/tFUvIkjg3uo

Vs Ottomans: VC LB/Pike or Standard LB/Pike
In this MU British cannot simply mass Musketeers as they would usually like to, because of how strong the Abus gun is verses Musketeers. You can almost always suggest he will begin open with an aggressive Barracks, so after you have your Barracks up start LB, ship 6 LB if you really need to hold and use Minutemen timed equally with your LB timing. You only need to add pike when you scout he is adding a stable, however until there LB counters basically Janissary and Abus gun.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=X3a1VFatFMc&t=11801s[/spoiler]

[spoiler=Vs Asian Civs]Vs Japan: VC Boom/Pike/Bow
While Japan might seem to be the god of economy in most eyes, and no way to break that economy effectively, itā€™s the point where Japan realise LB> Yumi and get overwhelmed with a large timing that Japan doesnā€™t seem so strong anymore. The Musketeers/LB/Hussar combination is something that isnā€™t easy for Japan to deal with at all. You just need to watch out if he tries to age. You should VC boom fast and have a greater economy then he/she does around 6-7min and then pump LB/Pike from two Barracks very fast, add Hussars if it is necessary.

https://youtu.be/bfQ1hhbkyZY

https://youtu.be/i0pToTCamG8

https://youtu.be/yO2YKZLvTRw

Vs China: Aggressive LB/Pike/Musk/Huss
Iā€™m not going to lie, your options are so limited vs China. This is probably one of the hardest match ups for Brit, because if China holds and ages, you kind of lose. That being said British still have a decent chance of winning even if stuck in age II due to their diverse composition. However you cannot simply allow China to age freely, therefore some sort of aggressive pressure, not to stop him from aging, seeing as that almost never will be the case, but to slow that age up considerably and force him to spend more time investing in buildings, e.g. housing that you would have sieged etc. Another way of playing this MU, is starting with Musketeers and adding Hussars off the 700w/600w.

https://youtu.be/9NdRy-rIoBs

https://youtu.be/N5CKX3MwuYY

https://youtu.be/Fo2z1oUKDKg

https://youtu.be/PkanCMiTpAQ

https://youtu.be/hyLUS-_bkWU

Vs India: Defensive Musketeer start
A matchup that certainly sparks conflict, in most opinions it is heavily India favoured, and in others quite even, rarely you will hear it is British favoured. However there is one unit that India really struggles dealing with, the LB, due to the Gurkha, Indiaā€™s anti heavy infantry unit, also losing to the LB there isnā€™t many options left. Sowars also are just a pretty bad cavalry unit. However it is not this reason why India wins often times, it is because of the early Sepoy pressure that really gives India the edge, British will always have their villages pretty spread out on hunt early on, and due to the immense strength of the Sepoy, it makes massing pretty difficult early on for British. Also Brits late colonial might be good, but Indiaā€™s is arguably the best, coming close with Russia and Japan. That is why around the 15 minute mark when British are forced to expand their villages across the map for hunts, it becomes difficult protecting those locations and trying to match the mass of India, which eventually becomes too much for British. Also many people underestimate the economy of India, thinking that they can simply out boom them when in fact India can out boom British in colonial with both wood trickles and the early 4v potential from the consulate. Your best bet is defending early with Musketeers to catch those first 2 batches of Sepoy, then adding LB, and Hussar as your economy grows. Another thing to add, trying to boom with VC and going for a LB/Pike timing might sound good, but in theory it just allows India to dominate the map and even sneak off an age up if your too slow.
https://youtu.be/2HaLS7Zsies

https://youtu.be/cPprJyiVDAw

https://youtu.be/M6zSRwNEQRM

https://youtu.be/iceleFZ6UB4[/spoiler]

[spoiler=Vs Warchief Civs]Vs Sioux: Musks into lb/pike

https://youtu.be/M4PLSN30KDA

Vs Aztecs:Musk huss + lb

https://youtu.be/nKFtl9X2VGY

https://youtu.be/TT5WkHv3g6w

Vs Iroquois :Very hard MU ,defensive start musks huss+lb/pikes

https://youtu.be/9RoeP1y4CpI

https://youtu.be/uGhHjSj7RZQ[/spoiler]

Fifth Step: Practicing vs Bots:
I know itā€™s hard to remember everything at once by reading so, just practice the strategies one by one in each different cases against Expert AI (bots) until youā€™re confident before testing it out vs real players.

Sixth Step: Playing vs Real players & Analyzing mistakes:
After knowing all the strategies, it is time to test it out vs real people and see how it goes and improve from it, playing vs better players will help you find flaws in your build and record games so as to see the mistakes committed by you and analyse them.

Authorā€™s Message:
ā€œCongratulations! after learning all the steps your British is going to be you main and favourite civilization to play and happy gaming and rekting players heheā€¦
Thanks for reading, I hope it helps and gives you confidence and understanding of this civ very well.ā€

Any feedbacks from top /knowledgeable players is appreciated ,I hope this guide is accurate I have put alot of hours into this.
Attachments
AOE III BRITISH GUIDE updated.docx
(11.27 MiB) Downloaded 90 times
AOE III -British Guide.docx
Click here for download
(11.12 MiB) Downloaded 599 times
:nwc:
India Challenger_Marco
ESOC Media Team

Re: A Comprehensive British Guide

More comprehensive guides are on the way ,this is a long term project....anyone want to help can join me :P
France [Armag] diarouga
Ninja
NWC LAN Gold
ESO: diarouga

Post by [Armag] diarouga »

How is VC boom a bonus content? It should be the main build !
Well written and very complete other than that.
India Challenger_Marco
ESOC Media Team

[Armag] diarouga wrote:How is VC boom a bonus content? It should be the main build !

Hmm ok thanks for your feedback,that VC build is diff coz you send VC first not 3v or what GS does so I think in the current meta none sends VC first so I put it in bonus content.
France [Armag] diarouga
Ninja
NWC LAN Gold

Challenger_Marco wrote:
[Armag] diarouga wrote:How is VC boom a bonus content? It should be the main build !

Hmm ok thanks for your feedback,that VC build is diff coz you send VC first not 3v or what GS does so I think in the current meta none sends VC first so I put it in bonus content.

I'd say that VC is a main strat, at least for me. I'd do that build 50% of the time.
Great Britain Method_man714
Lancer
ESO: Therotivator

Post by Method_man714 »

[Armag] diarouga wrote:
Challenger_Marco wrote:

I'd say that VC is a main strat, at least for me. I'd do that build 50% of the time.

Would you only do it with tp start? When else would u use it?
hazzarov: can u fk off callen
France [Armag] diarouga
Ninja
NWC LAN Gold

Method_man714 wrote:
[Armag] diarouga wrote:
Show hidden quotes

Would you only do it with tp start? When else would u use it?

I'd do it always.
India cskbluewolf
Crossbow
ESO: cskbluewolf

Post by cskbluewolf »

Challenger_Marco wrote:Hey guys ,Many new players seems to be having problems with british and hence i wanted to reply them and in turn i wrote a guide! This is a comprehensive guide which contains all info ,some of the content were taken from esoc but rest of it is written by me ,i hope it helps and gives you comeplete understand of the civ! :smile:
https://www.mediafire.com/file/7m6wsmaj ... .docx/file
Any feedbacks from top /knowledgeable players is appreciated ,I hope this guide is accurate I have put alot of hours into this.

Thanks i am very new to the game. I will try to give a shot with this.
Canada dansil92
Retired Contributor
ESO: dansil92

Post by dansil92 »

VC is controversial but personally i think its superior to the other build just by virtue of the manor xp generating shipments faster, but it makes macro a bit less wood heavy too so even if you might be down a couple vills you tend to be a shipment ahead and a bit more efficient
India Challenger_Marco
ESOC Media Team

[Armag] diarouga wrote:
Challenger_Marco wrote:

Ok i updated it!
India rsy
Jaeger
Donator 01

Post by rsy »

cskbluewolf wrote:
Challenger_Marco wrote:Hey guys ,Many new players seems to be having problems with british and hence i wanted to reply them and in turn i wrote a guide! This is a comprehensive guide which contains all info ,some of the content were taken from esoc but rest of it is written by me ,i hope it helps and gives you comeplete understand of the civ! :smile:
https://www.mediafire.com/file/7m6wsmaj ... .docx/file

Thanks i am very new to the game. I will try to give a shot with this.

Welcome to ESOC bud!
Great Britain Phoenix999
Crossbow
ESO: Phoenix999

Post by Phoenix999 »

Nice work JASS!
European Union Scroogie
Lancer
ESO: Scroogie
GameRanger ID: 10056919

Post by Scroogie »

Nice work, maybe add a table of contents? Makes refinding topics within the guide much easier.
Me being slightly ahead vs H2O: Image
Mali Goujar
Crossbow
ESO: Goujar

Post by Goujar »

Thank you for the guide. The mu part is going to be really usefull for me :smile:
India Frosty_2
Musketeer

Post by Frosty_2 »

12 likes?, wtf?
tan tan tan ..tantatan.. tantatan.. tantatan...
India Challenger_Marco
ESOC Media Team

New Update:
-Added bbcode version
-Added new word document which contains content page (easy to navigate)
Hope this is more user-friendly now.
Canada Lunatic_Fringe
Dragoon
ESO: Nightwing

Post by Lunatic_Fringe »

@Challenger_Marco Thanks for the work on the update. One of the best guides around that can benefit anyone.