MU of the month: Sioux vs Iroquois

Bavaria j_t_kirk
ESOC Media Team
Donator 01
ESO: j_t_kirk

MU of the month: Sioux vs Iroquois

Post by j_t_kirk »

Image Back to the great AOE3 strategies. We saw in the past some nice MU of the week already. Last MU was Port vs India
The meta changes, the player skill level changes, and the patch changes. Some high-level 1v1 players from our lovely community want to show up in a Bo5 Bo7 (Two games more Image). Let's find out what they could do.

Every at least once per month Sometimes ( :hmm: ) a thread will be opened where you can discuss a certain MU. This week's MU is Sioux vs Iroquois (@Diarouga thx for your suggestion). Hopefully, the discussion will be in depth and top players will share their insight.

What is the current meta?
What strategy fits best for each map?

Image Image Image
@Kaiserklein Image @Mitoe The map pool:
Arizona - - - Adirondacks - - - Pampas Sierras - - - Alaska - - - Arkansas - - - Kamchatka - - - Manchuria

ImageImageImageImageImageImageImage

You can find a list of ESOC maps here: http://eso-community.net/maps.php

Welcome! Credit for this idea goes to @kami_ryu as well as @musketeer925 , @BrookG ,@lemmings121 & @Diarouga building upon it. They are the masterminds behind this pretty nice idea!

All played MU's you can find here: viewtopic.php?f=29&t=13821
ImageImageImage
France [Armag] diarouga
Ninja
NWC LAN Gold
ESO: diarouga

Re: MU of the month: Sioux vs Iroquois

Post by [Armag] diarouga »

I'd say that this MU is overall Iro favoured.
Maybe I'm wrong because I've been underrating Sioux for years now, but it just feels like Iro is better at everything.

Their rush is super scary, and although I'm confident Sioux can hold, the Sioux player is definitely not going to age to fortress if the Iro player pushes in colonial.
I guess you can also ff as Iro. The Iro ff/semi ff is basically like the French ff, except it's faster and you get better skirms and better goons, and I'd say that Sioux vs France is quite close.

Furthermore, Iro has the option to go water, and wall, and then there's no much Sioux can do about it (I'd like to see some water play on Alaska, else it will be boring).

It really feels like Iro can do anything and the only option for Sioux is to hit that 16 min dogsoldier timing, but I'm not sure it's strong enough.
Great Britain Riotcoke
Retired Contributor
ECL Reigning ChampsDonator 01
ESO: Riotcoke
Clan: UwU

Post by Riotcoke »

Looks great, can't wait to watch this ;)

twitch.tv/stangoesdeepTV
Canada dansil92
Retired Contributor
ESO: dansil92

Post by dansil92 »

Its really gonna come down to how effectively sioux can raid, and if iro can keep momentum 100% of the time. Forest prowler musket rider is far superior to anything sioux can make, but sioux in general is exceptional at punishing mistakes. The dog soldier timing of course adds to the fun, and if the game goes extremely late then things can get very interesting with light cannons, age 4 dog soldiers, champion forest prowlers, lots of good dynamics.

Tldr: probs iro favoured but potential for sioux to punish mistakes
Canada Mitoe
Advanced Theory Craftsman
ESO: Mitoe
GameRanger ID: 346407

Post by Mitoe »

I don't think it's so simple. It's a complex matchup and I think Sioux has a lot going for them in this matchup--they were often the most successful civ vs Iroquois in tournaments on RE patch aside from mirror or Otto.

It's difficult to fb vs Sioux because the warchief + pets can deny the warhut foundation so easily by snaring/blocking and then the area damage from the warchief deleting the foundation (area damage deleting foundations should maybe be patched, even?), and therefore can be hard to do anything in Colonial or take TPs (which is normally what Iro would like to do) comfortably.

I don't think it's necessarily bad for either civ; really I don't know how it goes, but I know that it's definitely not a free win for Iroquois at all, and likely not a free win for Sioux, either.
No Flag deleted_user0
Ninja

Post by deleted_user0 »

sioux wins on any map with good tres guardians or age1 nats.
Bhutan jgals
Lancer
ESO: OstiferButthole

Post by jgals »

[Armag] diarouga wrote:I'd say that this MU is overall Iro favoured.
Maybe I'm wrong because I've been underrating Sioux for years now, but it just feels like Iro is better at everything.

Their rush is super scary, and although I'm confident Sioux can hold, the Sioux player is definitely not going to age to fortress if the Iro player pushes in colonial.
I guess you can also ff as Iro. The Iro ff/semi ff is basically like the French ff, except it's faster and you get better skirms and better goons, and I'd say that Sioux vs France is quite close.

Furthermore, Iro has the option to go water, and wall, and then there's no much Sioux can do about it (I'd like to see some water play on Alaska, else it will be boring).

It really feels like Iro can do anything and the only option for Sioux is to hit that 16 min dogsoldier timing, but I'm not sure it's strong enough.

did you really just call musket riders better goons??? How bad am I that I could never even think of being able to afford musket riders in Fortress? How does IRO realistically afford to ever make kanye or MR??? Sure y ou can ship them, but seems like you have to be so far ahead for this.
Italy gamevideo113
Howdah
ESO: gamevideo113

Post by gamevideo113 »

They are cheaper than goons, how can iro not afford them?
[Some people aspire to be pr30+, some people aspire to have fun, and some people aspire to play 3v3 Deccan.] - vividlyplain - 2019 Who (nationality) rape ?
stupid logic. noob players can say op?
toxic, Insult, Racism ?
Serbia ShinkuroYukinari
Dragoon
ESO: ShinkuroYukinari
Clan: BANIN

Post by ShinkuroYukinari »

I am leaning towards Sioux in this matchup. A good Sioux player can make an Iro hide in his base due to the sheer mobility of BR and AR, which alongside Dogs can handle most of what Iro can train. And Native eco sucks hard. Iro sorta has to FF imo as FP can shut down BR and RR very hard, and if the map has good treasures, you know the Sioux's gonna abuse it.
My signature was removed, MOD ABUSE!
France [Armag] diarouga
Ninja
NWC LAN Gold

I 3-0'd bsop in this MU on the RE while he was 10pr better than me back then because there was nothing Sioux could do honestly.
On EP it's closer of course.

I agree with Mitoe about the area damage denying building, it should get patched.
No Flag deleted_user0
Ninja

Post by deleted_user0 »

re is totally different obviously, since on EP iro is nerfed a little and sioux buffed a lot. But even on re it wasn't actually a bad mu for sioux, as long as they could get a lot of tres guardians. also because the RE maps have such shit food, sioux raids were so much scarier.
Greece BrookG
Retired Contributor
ESO: BrookG

Post by BrookG »

Soon at 21:30 GMT Kaiserklein and Mitoe will play the MU out! Somebody with further ideas on how it's played?
Correlation doesn't mean causation.
http://www.tylervigen.com/spurious-correlations

"mr.brookg go buy jeans and goto the club with somppuli" - Princeofkabul, July 2018
Canada dansil92
Retired Contributor
ESO: dansil92

Post by dansil92 »

I say sioux favoured on pampas and alaska, iro on the other maps, but maybe we'll see some inca cheese, some fast industrials, and things will go completely different. Lets hope for some crazy :)
France [Armag] diarouga
Ninja
NWC LAN Gold

Sioux favoured on Alaska, how? Iro has a great water boom.