Amalgmation

No Flag manwithoutname
Skirmisher

Amalgmation

Post by manwithoutname »

When do you guys usually send research amalgmation with the French? Most games I donā€™t get around to it until late fortress, by buying 200w when Iā€™m stacking gold or something..
Australia Kawapasaka
ESOC Pro Team

Re: Amalgmation

Post by Kawapasaka »

I research it on Manchuria and Malaysia when I've found enough yaks for a livestock pen and have most of my vills on coin for a while as a result. Also in the rare cases when I'm going greedy (i.e. 1k wood, add a tc) in early fortress when there's still a lot of natural res left.
No idea of it's worth it or not, would also like to hear the answer to this. Getting it in late fortress sounds bad though as there likely aren't many mines left by that point.
Italy Mosx
Dragoon
ESO: Mosx

Post by Mosx »

I always get amalgamation early from 700w or from. 1k wood in early fortress
op mechanics, op build order :export: :coin: :ugly: :uglylol: :maniac:

https://www.twitch.tv/mosxgr
United States of America occamslightsaber
Retired Contributor
ESO: L1BERTYPR1ME

Post by occamslightsaber »

Depends on the map, but I think the earliest time to research it is when you ship 700 wood while semi-FFing. The shipment would break down to 200W for a barrack/stable (whichever one you lack), 300W for houses and the remaining 200W for amalgamation or another TP. But like Kawa said sometimes itā€™s just not worth it.
The scientific term for China creating free units is Mitoe-sis.

I intend all my puns.
Latvia harcha
Gendarme
ESO: hatamoto_samurai

Post by harcha »

it's a very hard tech.. when do you get it? How do you pronounce it? Question many a streamer has asked...
POC wrote:Also I most likely know a whole lot more than you.
POC wrote:Also as an objective third party, and near 100% accuracy of giving correct information, I would say my opinions are more reliable than yours.
Retired Contributor

harcha wrote:it's a very hard tech.. when do you get it? How do you pronounce it? Question many a streamer has asked...
I thought it was always pronounced A-mal-ge-may-SHUN.

I intend all my puns.
No Flag Astaroth
Howdah

Post by Astaroth »

I honestly struggle to see the benefit, at least on RE:

- France has a good eco anyway, better than most civs with steel traps, 4 cdb
- investing 400 res into another eco up seems very greedy, especially on RE where many people play aggressively
- resources are fairly space on RE anyway; do you really want to spend 200 of your food to gather your few nearby mines even faster?
- 200w can be used for many other useful things: 2nd TP, military buildings, vet musks, houses...

I guess it can be worth it if your opponent is full booming or turtling, but even then stagecoach seems often better. You can also get a greater mass instead early on and be more aggressive.

Also, just do the math: if you have like 12 cdb on coin early fortress, amalgamation gives you 2.4 cdb (or 3 vills) for 400 res. Not sure that's so worth it, especially because you also run out of mines faster and become more vulnerable to raids. 2 TP stagecoach in comparison is 800 res (admittedly more wood heavy) for about 8vills. And France will have 1tp already anyway, so more like 600 res (altho stagecoach has its downsides as well ofc).
Retired Contributor

All valid points, but France in fortress usually goes for skirm/goon and later adds in cuirs, all of which are gold heavy units. Amalgamation isnā€™t very good when there are few CDBs gathering gold aa noted above, but it scales well later on. However, since gold mines can run out on the map, itā€™s best to get the upgrade in early if you are going to get it at all.

Iā€™d also rather go for a second TP, but that option is not always available. Adding more houses is fine too, but I think having 90 pop space is a bit overkill for that early in the game, especially when you are constantly losing units. You can also save it in the bank for later use to rebuild stuff, but itā€™s not like you get interest so itā€™s best to use it asap. Not sure about a third military building though, since youā€™ll rarely have the eco to make use of all three. Itā€™s up to you to calculate the opportunity cost for each option and decide on what to do.

I intend all my puns.
France Kaiserklein
Pro Player
GameRanger ID: 5529322

Post by Kaiserklein »

If you ship 1000w as france you can usually get it, as france doesn't need that much wood for infrastructure. It's not a priority as that upgrade takes a while to pay off (you need to gather roughly 2500g for that), but it's definitely nice sometimes.
Honestly outside of 1000w, I don't really know when you'd get it. In colonial it feels way too greedy, you need the wood for stuff, and the food to age up. Unless you plan on staying colo maybe.
Other than that, I guess you can chop for it in middle fortress at some point. You just need to be sure you'll be able to access enough gold to make it worth the investment.
LoOk_tOm wrote:I have something in particular against Kaisar (GERMANY NOOB mercenary LAMME FOREVER) And the other people (noobs) like suck kaiser ... just this ..
France Guigs
Tournament Admin
ESO: Guigs

Post by Guigs »

I can think of a few situations where amalgamation is really nice as France :
- On a few maps with livestock (like manchuria) if you can afford a livestock pen, you could get a sick eco when eating yaks and having 15 cdbs + with amalgamation gathering gold (you also have 5k gold mine quite safe on Manchuria)
- vs Dutch if you have a stagecoach line, can easily afford 200w on amalgamation at some point. Having your entire eco gathering food and coin with amalgamation and tps on wood is really strong.

Other than that I think it's an upgrade you can afford only if you already have some kind of advantage in the game, otherwise it takes too much time to pay off