Spain - Upgrading to veteran pikemen

India _DB_
Howdah

Post by _DB_ »

Suppose you're going the lame FF. Is it worth it to have enough resources to upgrade your pikes to veteran in age 3?
Doing what you like is Freedom...
Liking what you do is Happiness...
Germany japanesegeneral
Lancer
ESO: JapaneseGeneral

Post by japanesegeneral »

Just do the calculation (I have not done it cause never played spain). First of all calculat the vill secounds it takes to get the ressources for a pikemen. Then calculate the vill secounds it takes to do the upgrade. (Veteran is 20% is not it?) Villsecounds to train a pike *amount of pikes*0,2(cause they are 20 percent stronger). If this number is bigger than the vill secouns it takes to gather for the upgrade its worth it.
6 petards a day keep the doctor away.
Switzerland _venox_
Howdah
ESO: _Venox_

Post by _venox_ »

You don't have to have as many pikes for the upgrade to be worth it: you just need to make sure that during the course of the game that many pikes are affected by it. it costs 400 resources = 5 pikes and is 20%. so if the resources invested should be worth 5 pikes, then 25 pikes have to be affected by the upgrade.

Thing is you don't really want pikes in mid to late fort, you want rod skirm and lancers and Yes you might have many pikes from shipments and maybe the age up, but there are better shipments and training them would be a waste: I'd better build a second rax or a stable with the 200 wood and gather some food to get 3 more skirms out with the 200 coin.
Don't let the things you can't change dictate your life.
Netherlands momuuu
Ninja
ESO: Jerom_

Post by momuuu »

Its kinda problematic if you to an aggressive FF, but spend 400 res on an upgrade that wont even pay off right away. Youd probably want more units then.
India _DB_
Howdah

Post by _DB_ »

Okay. Thanks!

Now I tested sending the missionary magic card after 700wood. I sent 1000 wood first and added a church and made 4-5 missionaries with it. Lol, now units have better stats than Japan.
I also tried its alternative, it's faster, but only viable with 200 wood start (so you can get 2 TPs, one in age 1, one while aging). In this, you send 700w, 600w, missionary magic. With 600 wood, it's quite comfortable to add church, and few houses and sparing few wood to make 5 missionaries. It still made wonders.
I found this strat better than upgrading units.
Doing what you like is Freedom...
Liking what you do is Happiness...
Switzerland _venox_
Howdah
ESO: _Venox_

Post by _venox_ »

Also pikes generally suck, they aren't even worth the 80 resources and the 400 is a very bad investment. What counts is the quantity and not losing your falconets, not some bad upgrade. Better get rodelero upgrade and start to train them so you can later go skirm rod (some goons) skirms.
Don't let the things you can't change dictate your life.
You have not set your flag, click to select your flag. Marco1698

Post by Marco1698 »

I think it's a bad idea I prefer to improve rods