How to improve the level of the playing?

Russia Ghost_Imperator
Skirmisher
ESO: Ghost_Imperator

How to improve the level of the playing?

Post by Ghost_Imperator »

Well, maybe this question seems strange but anyway...Can you describe “process” of the increasing the level of playing, how can I become better in this game and, accordingly, how to raise PR (of course it is not the main thing).
I am familiar with basic things, but some aspects are unknown for my mind, and I really want to know about these “aspects” which I guess are the keys for my improving.
Will be glad If you help
Thanks in advance :)
:chinese: :export:
United States of America n0el
ESOC Business Team
ESO: jezabob
Clan: 팀 하우스

Re: How to up your level of the game?

Post by n0el »

Play more games and focus on doing things better one at a time. Like say for the next 100 games, focus on not having idle villagers and constant vil production.
mad cuz bad
Georgia Qosashvili93
Dragoon
ESO: Qosashvili93

Post by Qosashvili93 »

Damn concentracion is so important in this damn game

So we every bad player have concentracion problem

Sooooo dont be like us and try focus more on everything

Advice from worst player ever 8-)
Russia Ghost_Imperator
Skirmisher

n0el wrote:Play more games and focus on doing things better one at a time. Like say for the next 100 games, focus on not having idle villagers and constant vil production.
I.e. to some extent level of the game raise with your experience and the time?
Germany amiggo1999
Advanced Player
Donator 01
ESO: miggo1999

Post by amiggo1999 »

watch my streams and sub, and you get ez bot level
Image Image
Russia Ghost_Imperator
Skirmisher

Maybe one of my problem is that I know not so many BO and strategies. Maybe I should to swot new builds up lol?
Great Britain WickedCossack
Retired Contributor

Post by WickedCossack »

I always say focus solely on mechanics. If you can only click 30 times a minute and cant use a keyboard you're going to go nowhere. Once you can click at 150 apm then you're welcome to learn some strategy.

Pick 1 or 2 new hotkeys to learn, once you've mastered them add another 1 or 2. (e.g hotkey for market, mill, ungarrison, crackshot etc) Don't learn more than 2 in one go if you're still learning rts games.
Practice control group cycles (I pretty much tripled my apm in one month of sc2 doing this) which doubled my aoe3 pr when i came back to it after sc2.

There's honnestly a treasure trove of strategy content out there on this site and streams but no one talks enough about how to improve mechanics.
Russia Ghost_Imperator
Skirmisher

amiggo1999 wrote:watch my streams and sub, and you get ez bot level
Link, please :З
Russia Ghost_Imperator
Skirmisher

WickedCossack wrote:I always say focus solely on mechanics. If you can only click 30 times a minute and cant use a keyboard you're going to go nowhere. Once you can click at 150 apm then you're welcome to learn some strategy.

Pick 1 or 2 new hotkeys to learn, once you've mastered them add another 1 or 2. (e.g hotkey for market, mill, ungarrison, crackshot etc) Don't learn more than 2 in one go if you're still learning rts games.
Practice control group cycles (I pretty much tripled my apm in one month of sc2 doing this) which doubled my aoe3 pr when i came back to it after sc2.

There's honnestly a treasure trove of strategy content out there on this site and streams but no one talks enough about how to improve mechanics.
I will try to use this information, thank you a lot!
Canada vividlyplain
Lancer
ESO: vividlyplain

Post by vividlyplain »

WickedCossack wrote:I always say focus solely on mechanics. If you can only click 30 times a minute and cant use a keyboard you're going to go nowhere. Once you can click at 150 apm then you're welcome to learn some strategy.

What do you recommend for building hotkeys? I still use the basic ctrl+m,s,b, etc to find various buildings but I find this awkward.
Netherlands Mr_Bramboy
Retired Contributor
Donator 01
ESO: [VOC] Bram

Post by Mr_Bramboy »

Fully agreed. Strategies will only get you so far, but they are not that important.
vividlyplain wrote:What do you recommend for building hotkeys? I still use the basic ctrl+m,s,b, etc to find various buildings but I find this awkward.
I would recommend binding groups of military buildings to a number. I have my stables on 4, raxes on 5, foundries on 6. In the settings you will find an option called 'snap to building on hotkey press' or something of the sort. I would advice disabling this and using ctrl+b/s/a if you want to snap to a building. The result of this is that pressing '5' once will not change your screen, so you can train military units while fighting. Pressing '5' twice or pressing ctrl+b will snap your screen to the barracks. Using ctrl+b can be useful to cycle between barracks throughout the map. I have my town centers bound to 'a' for this purpose so I can quickly cycle around the map.
United States of America n0el
ESOC Business Team
ESO: jezabob
Clan: 팀 하우스

Post by n0el »

Ghost_Imperator wrote:
n0el wrote:Play more games and focus on doing things better one at a time. Like say for the next 100 games, focus on not having idle villagers and constant vil production.
I.e. to some extent level of the game raise with your experience and the time?
Absolutely, that is the biggest factor imo, but only if when you are playing you are trying to improve. So after you can master keeping you eco going, you can focus on other things. I would say learn one BO with one civ, and work on the basic game mechanic perfection from there.
mad cuz bad
Tuvalu gibson
Ninja
ECL Reigning Champs

Post by gibson »

I mean you can’t purely focus on mechanics lol, at the very least you need to have a basic build.....
Canada vividlyplain
Lancer
ESO: vividlyplain

Post by vividlyplain »

I would recommend binding groups of military buildings to a number. I have my stables on 4, raxes on 5, foundries on 6. In the settings you will find an option called 'snap to building on hotkey press' or something of the sort. I would advice disabling this and using ctrl+b/s/a if you want to snap to a building. The result of this is that pressing '5' once will not change your screen, so you can train military units while fighting. Pressing '5' twice or pressing ctrl+b will snap your screen to the barracks. Using ctrl+b can be useful to cycle between barracks throughout the map. I have my town centers bound to 'a' for this purpose so I can quickly cycle around the map.
Thanks. I do much of this already... I will try to move my hotkeys closer to my left hand and relearn a few at a time...
Germany rnmrtzk
Musketeer
ESO: rnmrtzk

Post by rnmrtzk »

This guide here was really helpful for my learning mind set: https://tl.net/forum/sc2-strategy/20834 ... at-sc2-1v1

And I think it is important to learn how to watch recorded games in a useful way. The guides on the strategy wall can give you some ideas, but they won't teach you how to adapt in the right way. Adapting you can learn by playing a lot of games, but also - and this is a lot faster -by watching how the pro players react in diffrent situations. The recorded games section is really helpful for learning how to adapt :) You should watch those records with a pen and write down when the pro players produce what in a specific match up, why they do it, you should watch when they move army and why, etc.

After you have analyzed a recording you can try to imitate it and practice it against a bot till you can execute it smoothly. Then you practice it against a human player :P Rinse and repeat for other match ups!

This helped me to reach captain level. But me... I am still a big noob. There is a lot of things to do I guess!
look wrote:I Opened the TAD today
it looks like i was in paradise
No Flag bepsi
Musketeer

Post by bepsi »

The best way to improve is probably to practice mirrors. This makes it so much easier to correctly diagnose faults in your own gameplay and improve from there on. Regardless of what has been stated earlier civ imbalance is a real thing and eliminating this component makes it easier to focus builds and micro. Playing mirrors will also familiarise you with all civs while also drastically reduce the number of potential match-ups. Finally mirrors are quite fun to play eventough they can be perceived as boring to spectate and thus have a bad rep.
Germany amiggo1999
Advanced Player
Donator 01

Post by amiggo1999 »

Image Image
Sweden Hawk_Girl
Dragoon
Donator 01

Post by Hawk_Girl »

low question, how do you age up (with non-asia civ) with hotkeys? it seems op during a treasure contension for example
Netherlands edeholland
ESOC Community Team
Donator 01
ESO: edeholland
GameRanger ID: 4053888
Clan: ESOC

Post by edeholland »

Hawk_Girl wrote:low question, how do you age up (with non-asia civ) with hotkeys? it seems op during a treasure contension for example
I don't think you can.

I remember seeing a German mirror where both players had not taken any XP treasures and one of the players was waiting until getting a shipment before shooting a treasure so that he knew the other player was busy with sending a card and couldn't pay attention to the treasure.
Malaysia Aizamk
Pro Player
ESOC WarChiefs Classic 2017

Post by Aizamk »

There is however a way to age up without having to select an age-up politician - I've triggered it accidentally multiple times but never tried to figure out what I pressed.
oranges.
Australia Hazza54321
Pro Player
Winter Champion 2020 x2Donator 01
ESO: PrinceofBabu

Post by Hazza54321 »

Aizamk wrote:There is however a way to age up without having to select an age-up politician - I've triggered it accidentally multiple times but never tried to figure out what I pressed.
You double click the age up icon
France Von_peter
Crossbow
ESO: Von_peter

Post by Von_peter »

I'm having the same issue. It feels like level improvement stalls after awhile.
From what I got while playing against top players and asking them advices was:

- as n0el says: improve basic mechanics : hotkeys, group controls, vils prod.
- then the strat part: know each matchup and the possibles strategies you can set up in any of them. If you're inventive enough as Aiz you can even build up your own mu strategy.
- know build orders because once you have them you can re-focus your mental load on other stuff: micro, treasures, raids,...
- play against opponent slightly better than you (found in Tabben's interview at NWC, btw he was a captain not that long ago :O )
- and ultimate level: know your opponent mechanics (I think diarouga did it in the NWC 2019) to anticipate and counter their usual strat.

To achieve that, well,...Watch games (first person view), learn BO or write them down, anticipate the MU,
and train hard to improve micro and general game management.

Our team twitch channel here can show simple 1st person mu https://www.twitch.tv/herr_tom
Germany amiggo1999
Advanced Player
Donator 01

Post by amiggo1999 »

my advice: listen to Hardstyle and spam apm like a madman
Image Image
Croatia toriancarconn
Skirmisher
Donator 03
ESO: toriancarconn

Post by toriancarconn »

Mr_Bramboy wrote:

Fully agreed. Strategies will only get you so far, but they are not that important.
vividlyplain wrote:What do you recommend for building hotkeys? I still use the basic ctrl+m,s,b, etc to find various buildings but I find this awkward.
Does there exist a way to group military units by type, e.g. melee infantry, ranged infantry, melee cavallery, ranged cavallery....?
India Challenger_Marco
ESOC Media Team
ESO: challenger_marco

Post by Challenger_Marco »

What do you recommend for building hotkeys? I still use the basic ctrl+m,s,b, etc to find various buildings but I find this awkward.
W A S D ez life
:nwc: