How to micro Lancers.

India Shikari
Dragoon
ESO: rahuru

How to micro Lancers.

Post by Shikari »

As playing Spain now adays. You play a lot vs musk rushes. So when I am age 3 I kinda need to hold musks will the 4 lancer shipment. I've seen player kill a lot of musks be it janissary or normal musk. But that require certain micro. So what kind of micro you do there. Like attacking a single musk with all your lancers? Or you want like 2 on 1. What lancer to pull back and stuff.
Greece giannisKING
Skirmisher
ESO: 4fr33d0m

Re: How to micro Lancers.

Post by giannisKING »

Don't make lancers they are a bad unit, they only proper use to 4 lancer shipement is to snare enemy army when you have a military lead.
European Union aaryngend
Howdah
Clan: N3O

Post by aaryngend »

deleted_user wrote:Fuck off seriously
Good advice mate, let me try my hand, maybe I can add some more things (yes, I'm rusty as hell and didn't play actively for almost a decade, bear with me) :chinese:

Take this with a grain of salt... wish a decent player could correct me on this, so here it goes:
I think with Lancers, it is important that the majority of attacks they receive (like from Musks) are ranged and not melee! Since they got 30%RR, they take much less damage like this. If I recall correctly, I've seen good players engage the batch of musks with like 5 Lancers and went back and forth, forth to get an autoattack in, then back a little so the musks shoot, while simultaneously the other unit combo is doing their job (for example, some skirmishers or bows aiding your Lancers by dealing extra damage to their counters or some pikes keeping enemy hussars away from your lancers since hussars own lancers).
The important thing is to not get melee'd too often as them, only do that if you outnumber the enemy mass (quick and easy win) or have bows/skirms in the back shooting off the musks with their extra damage while the lancers tank.

About the micro itself, preposition them well before the fight starts and do the rest with drag box if you want to control them closer to an individual manner or just set them to an exclusive control group. WIth micro, it's hard to give advice since every situation is different.
I've also seen some people use attack move in big fights solely because cav units mostly behave the correct way, and then they adjust the micromanagement individually, like taking 2-3 lancers attacking one and the rest attackinkg another musk, if there are very few units in battle.
Hand cav units don't overkill as much as ranged units, since they are bigger and get blocked all the time (sometimes even by their own units), and they are melee.
Abus guns will alwasy be the kings of overkilling.
giannisKING wrote:Don't make lancers they are a bad unit, they only proper use to 4 lancer shipement is to snare enemy army when you have a military lead.
Isn't that what he said? He uses them mostly as a shipment to hold off infantry contains while his enemy is still in age2. Not massing them later in the game.
Greece giannisKING
Skirmisher
ESO: 4fr33d0m

Post by giannisKING »

giannisKING wrote:Don't make lancers they are a bad unit, they only proper use to 4 lancer shipement is to snare enemy army when you have a military lead.
Isn't that what he said? He uses them mostly as a shipment to hold off infantry contains while his enemy is still in age2. Not massing them later in the game.[/quote]
Then the answer is make sure your 5 dogs will fight the same time with the lancers so when musks go in melle they will be hitting dogs as well ( and lancers won't die as fast).
dogs + lancers + mm should beat any musk rush
Armenia Sargsyan
Jaeger
Donator 01
ESO: lamergamer
Clan: c0ns

Post by Sargsyan »

giannisKING wrote:
Isn't that what he said? He uses them mostly as a shipment to hold off infantry contains while his enemy is still in age2. Not massing them later in the game.
Then the answer is make sure your 5 dogs will fight the same time with the lancers so when musks go in melle they will be hitting dogs as well ( and lancers won't die as fast).
dogs + lancers + mm should beat any musk rush
teach em giannis!
krichk wrote:For some reason, you want the world to know that you're brave enough to challenge Challenger_Marco
Netherlands Mr_Bramboy
Retired Contributor
Donator 01
ESO: [VOC] Bram

Post by Mr_Bramboy »

Lancers are great vs musketeers. Sepoys are a bit harder to deal with. The most basic lancer micro is to make sure your lancers are attacking infantry only, not cavalry. Then you could consider pulling back a few lancers when necessary, for example when your opponent puts a lot of them in melee mode. But generally as long as you're attack moving on a mass of infantry you should be fine. Early game you shouldn't be creating lancers (unless you went for a very greedy build) because you won't have the economy to support them.
France chronique
Advanced Player
ESO: poissondu44

Post by chronique »

Lancer are not great vs mousket, that insane how lancer are overrated by somepeaple. Lancer are not cost efficient vs age 2 mousket, but they are still better than other cav (with card upg is an other story).

To micro your lancer vs mousk you need to attack and when the mousket will switch into hand combat (there are a little lag you can exploid), back your cav (its like hit and run),same for all cav. If you do that perfectly, the mousket cant attack with hand and only shot, thats mean you take less damage. When your opponenet swith its units into hand combat manualy, back your cav, with that he cant hit.
Canada dansil92
Retired Contributor
ESO: dansil92

Post by dansil92 »

Lancers good vs ruskets, i think thats important to remember too, if you're up against russia its a solid choice and even cossacks don't do particularly great vs lancers.... but like, sepoy lol no dont use lancers
United States of America bittersalt123
Howdah

Post by bittersalt123 »

chronique wrote:Lancer are not great vs mousket, that insane how lancer are overrated by somepeaple. Lancer are not cost efficient vs age 2 mousket, but they are still better than other cav (with card upg is an other story).

To micro your lancer vs mousk you need to attack and when the mousket will switch into hand combat (there are a little lag you can exploid), back your cav (its like hit and run),same for all cav. If you do that perfectly, the mousket cant attack with hand and only shot, thats mean you take less damage. When your opponenet swith its units into hand combat manualy, back your cav, with that he cant hit.
Lancers do quite well against jans/ashi. Have you ever did a lancer ff to counter an otto jan rush? I did this on vanilla some years back but they might be weaker on TAD? lol I remember playing Piroshiki and he kept pwning my ashi with his lancers but when I made some samurai I finally won.
"It makes a lot of sense to me that you're a Floridian." fightinfrenchman

Who needs water when you've got Brawndo – The Thirst Mutilator?

Secretary of State: But Brawndo's got what plants crave. It's got electrolytes
France chronique
Advanced Player

Post by chronique »

Idk what mean "quite well", juste lancer are not cost efficient vs mousket unit type (any of them but maybe ok vs jan becouse jan are not so great vs cav). Lancer with cards are great (tbh the +2 range are insane).
No Flag Astaroth
Howdah

Post by Astaroth »

dansil92 wrote:Lancers good vs ruskets, i think thats important to remember too, if you're up against russia its a solid choice and even cossacks don't do particularly great vs lancers.... but like, sepoy lol no dont use lancers
Lancers vs boyar cossacks?

Have you seen the recent series of I think miggo trying Lancer/goon vs age2 cossacks?

Lancers get rekt by boyar cossacks, not to mention Russia's much better eco over time.
United States of America bittersalt123
Howdah

Post by bittersalt123 »

chronique wrote:Idk what mean "quite well", juste lancer are not cost efficient vs mousket unit type (any of them but maybe ok vs jan becouse jan are not so great vs cav). Lancer with cards are great (tbh the +2 range are insane).
I think what I mean is that lancers can beat muskets early age 3 to a point where a few infantry behind 10 lancers can possibly just win you the game. It's a cheese unit that can surprise you.
"It makes a lot of sense to me that you're a Floridian." fightinfrenchman

Who needs water when you've got Brawndo – The Thirst Mutilator?

Secretary of State: But Brawndo's got what plants crave. It's got electrolytes
No Flag howlingwolfpaw
Jaeger

Post by howlingwolfpaw »

I saw the most incredible thing in a late game FFA last night with lancers....

someone tried to use them in a box formation to snipe a factory vs a dutch player. He sent dozens of halbs, the lancers so tightly knit killed them faster than I have ever seen possible. Most halbs never even had a chance to get a hit off, it was like as soon as they walked up to them, they were gone.
France chronique
Advanced Player

Post by chronique »

Caba good cart.
Germany Rohbrot
Howdah
ECL Reigning Champs
ESO: Rohbrot

Post by Rohbrot »

After u send Caba and maybe CC when u have tps with atp lancers kill all inf units even samurai i tested it and the best way to micro is hit and run that all musks or all anti cav infs doesnt deals dmg (atleast not all of them) if u have enough time to send age2 cav cards aswell and arsenal up then ur lancers are just op (and with unction they get 50ap age4)
Spain pain train is real
Canada dansil92
Retired Contributor

Post by dansil92 »

Rohbrot wrote:After u send Caba and maybe CC when u have tps with atp lancers kill all inf units even samurai i tested it and the best way to micro is hit and run that all musks or all anti cav infs doesnt deals dmg (atleast not all of them) if u have enough time to send age2 cav cards aswell and arsenal up then ur lancers are just op (and with unction they get 50ap age4)
I hate to tell you this but samurai are absolute trash and lose to single-carded hussars in colonial despite being more expensive (on re, i cant remember if samurai got buffed on ep), lancers beating them shouldnt be surprising
Germany Rohbrot
Howdah
ECL Reigning Champs

Post by Rohbrot »

nah lol age2 samurai wins vs one huss idk what u mean and only age4 or age3 lancers can deal with age3/4 samurai cuz they just beat every cav unit
Spain pain train is real
France chronique
Advanced Player

Post by chronique »

Hatamato samurai still shit on caba lancer like paper, i have try (unfortunatly).
Germany Rohbrot
Howdah
ECL Reigning Champs

Post by Rohbrot »

yeah Hatamoto are insane if u have like 3 they can kill 10 in 3hits
Spain pain train is real
Canada dansil92
Retired Contributor

Post by dansil92 »

Rohbrot wrote:nah lol age2 samurai wins vs one huss idk what u mean and only age4 or age3 lancers can deal with age3/4 samurai cuz they just beat every cav unit
Go into the editor and place one huss and one samurai. Samurai cost more. Go watch what happens. If someone has a singe card on the huss (hp or attack) then the huss will win easily. Samurai are top tier garbage
Latvia harcha
Gendarme
ESO: hatamoto_samurai

Post by harcha »

dansil92 wrote:
Rohbrot wrote:nah lol age2 samurai wins vs one huss idk what u mean and only age4 or age3 lancers can deal with age3/4 samurai cuz they just beat every cav unit
Go into the editor and place one huss and one samurai. Samurai cost more. Go watch what happens. If someone has a singe card on the huss (hp or attack) then the huss will win easily. Samurai are top tier garbage
well they have their uses. samurai work great when dealing with piroff
POC wrote:Also I most likely know a whole lot more than you.
POC wrote:Also as an objective third party, and near 100% accuracy of giving correct information, I would say my opinions are more reliable than yours.
France chronique
Advanced Player

Post by chronique »

Samourai beat hussard and stay with 85 hp
Canada dansil92
Retired Contributor

Post by dansil92 »

chronique wrote:Samourai beat hussard and stay with 85 hp
On ep they should since samurai got a 20% buff
Germany Rohbrot
Howdah
ECL Reigning Champs

Post by Rohbrot »

dansil they cost the same 200res each unit
Spain pain train is real
Germany Rohbrot
Howdah
ECL Reigning Champs

Post by Rohbrot »

I mean it isnt logic that we should think about that one huss beats one samurai who is one of the units in the game that are the best anti cav units (dopp-samurai-ronin) i did not count merc just wrote ronin cuz u get them from japanese cons
Spain pain train is real