In need for Team Tips

Belgium LegalPenguin
Musketeer
ESO: LegalPenguin

In need for Team Tips

Post by LegalPenguin »

Hello everyone,

I've searched the forums a lot and can't really find good general tips for team games, so I wanted to start a thread where higher level players like you give lower level players like myself some guidance on team games.

If I've missed a similar thread, please point me in the right direction.

I've got a couple of general questions:
1. How do you feel about unit shipments in Team games?
2. When rushed, how do you defend when one teammate is attacked and you didn't manage to get a forward base up? I feel like my troops are always too late at the party and my teammate has already lost his.
3. When is the right time to boom and when to push with your team? In a 1V1, it's easier to determine, since you can create your own timing, but in team games, I often feel like our push is a lot weaker than the enemies.
4. Are there any good meta strategies to practice? Civs that pair up well etc? Recently, we've been experimenting with Japan, China and France, but can't really find a good build order.
5. How do you deal with very aggressive teams (say a team with Otto and Russia and a very forward base near one specific player) and with very defensive teams (say Ports and Brits immediately walling up)?

I know these are a lot of questions and that the answers will depend a lot on your own civilization, but as a mediocre player, I would really appreciate some general tips & tricks in team games.
My personal main civs are China and Germany, but don't let that define your answer, please.

Anyway, thank you for reading, thank you even more for answering some questions and thank you the most for staying safe.

Wishing you a healthy and fun AoE-time,

LegalPenguin
Is it a bird? Is it a plane? No, it's ...
France Le Hussard sur le toit
Howdah
ESO: LeHussardsurletoit

Re: In need for Team Tips

Post by Le Hussard sur le toit »

I was just gonna post on the same topic.
Tips and strats for team games (2v2 and 3v3) would be a great addition to the strategy wall !

I'll add 6. What is a good team deck ? How to use team cards (particularly team chonindo and team furrier that would typically be used early on instead of a normal card) ?.
ESOC : came for the game, stayed for the drama.
France P i k i l i c
Howdah
ESO: Pikilic
GameRanger ID: 7497456

Post by P i k i l i c »

I also think that 2v2 and 3v3 are very different. I made a thread asking tips about China in 2v2 in 2016, it may interest you @LegalPenguin: viewtopic.php?f=29&t=8119. I'm barely 2nd lieut and not very successful at team so I would like to know the answers to your questions as well!
Consider not the one who speaks the truth, but the truth that is said

:hmm: AoE logic :hmm:
Belgium LegalPenguin
Musketeer

Post by LegalPenguin »

P i k i l i c wrote:I also think that 2v2 and 3v3 are very different. I made a thread asking tips about China in 2v2 in 2016, it may interest you @LegalPenguin viewtopic.php?f=29&t=8119. I'm barely 2nd lieut and not very successful at team so I would like to know the answers to your questions as well!
Yes, indeed. For instance, with unit shipments, I feel like in 1v1 it's essential, 2v2 it's good, 3v3 it's meh and 4v4 it's awful, but I might be mistaken.
Howdah

Also some team cards are musts in 3v3 and not that good in 2v2 (like Aztecs' team 3 vills and Russia's team furrier.
Canada dansil92
Retired Contributor
ESO: dansil92

Post by dansil92 »

I think artillery shipments are always good, even up to 4v4. Heavy artillery especially.
Aztec (as an example) in 4v4 should have 10 & 9 mace and 3wp, the rest of the deck should be full eco + upgrades (temple support obvs is more of an upgrade than a unit ship)

2v2 is basically 2 1v1 games but with opportunity to cover civ weaknesses. Unit ships are still super relevant, though you'll replace weaker ones with eco cards (eg. 7 skirms -> royal mint)
Australia Hazza54321
Pro Player
Winter Champion 2020 x2Donator 01
ESO: PrinceofBabu

Post by Hazza54321 »

1. unit shipments in general arent great and you want to avoid shipping them however things like 2 falcs, 8bow, 2hc are a must, especially 2 falcs because its almost always needed vs rushes or pushing out.

2. My advice would do your best to scout for any fb should be easier with 3+ explorers even if its a big map. However if you are unsure if they have an fb then the safest play would be all building an fb in the middle player's base so you have easier access to each others bases (cav player doesnt need to do this as much due to mobility). In a 2v2 i would build it between your bases vs a rush so neither players reinforcements are late/can be picked off.

3. The right time to boom varies on a variety of factors: 1. if they have good lategame civs you want to try and end it before it goes lategame, e.g vs fre russia (probably a good early boom into a big mass midgame to try and take map). 2. Kinda links with point 1 if youre running out of natural res and you need to push out for map control, usually the team with most map and natural resources wins, except a couple of circumstances e.g. dutch and japan but you most likely have map control vs those civs anyway. 3. If you do overboom it may result into losing map control from a push from the enemy, so make sure you have enough units to hold map control, (your eco will be better than his if he has to switch to mills and plantations even if u have less vills because youre gathering more efficiently)

4. there are in general some good 2v2 pairings for example dutch india are very good for mid game eco and unit combos so you wanna abuse that, russia fre good for early mass, very good map control (french is like 5x a better civ when they have map control which is why these civs synergise well) and very good lategame. Brit french also are a very good combo in terms of eco mass and unit composition but usually end it up losing to the lamer combos like dutch india or dutch japan.

5. ive mentioned it before but fbing together helps, also unit shipments come into play here like 8 bows 6 lb, even cm from a portugese is very nice vs russia otto, a few wall segments here and there are good and using tc fire effectively and timing mm is also vital.

6. good team deck usually involves alot of upgrades, a couple of unit cards like the 6 lb/musk, 8 bow, 5 coss 13 strel 2falc 2 hc. feel free to check mine or any top team players deck like knusch tls prince etc, they tend to be eco and military upgrade focus. Crates are also important early game too like 700w/g , might even have 600g/w depending on the civ, and also 1kwood and 1kgold are quite important aswell for tcs and mass/agec up. Team furier is situation as it relies on your team mates being food orientated civs e.g. port brit, wouldnt be as useful with india dutch german. Team chonindo is a must although it was nerfed stupidly so i would avoid sending it early. Team cards in general are quite nice but usually just 3vs or wood trickle is better because it impacts your early eco too much.
United States of America GiBthedurrty
Lancer
Donator 01
Clan: YumiW

Post by GiBthedurrty »

In team you wanna play japan then let your teammates die and then you 1v3
Sweden Hawk_Girl
Dragoon
Donator 01

Post by Hawk_Girl »

i wonder if russia in 3v3 shouldn't kinda always send team furrier over trickle
Howdah

Hawk_Girl wrote:i wonder if russia in 3v3 shouldn't kinda always send team furrier over trickle
Team furrier is a 15% increase, it's OP in 3v3. Since your team will always have at least 40 vills on food in the early game, it's worth about 6 vills for an age 1 shipment... Granted it's useless after hunts run out but in the beginning it's a huge boost (it's even better if you have Sioux or Japan in your team I guess).
Think about it this way : it's a 15% increase for all the team, so that's equivalent to a 45% increase for one single player. You would just send a 45% increase every single game in 1v1.
Australia Hazza54321
Pro Player
Winter Champion 2020 x2Donator 01
ESO: PrinceofBabu

Post by Hazza54321 »

Le Hussard sur le toit wrote:
Hawk_Girl wrote:i wonder if russia in 3v3 shouldn't kinda always send team furrier over trickle
Team furrier is a 15% increase, it's OP in 3v3. Since your team will always have at least 40 vills on food in the early game, it's worth about 6 vills for an age 1 shipment... Granted it's useless after hunts run out but in the beginning it's a huge boost (it's even better if you have Sioux or Japan in your team I guess).
Think about it this way : it's a 15% increase for all the team, so that's equivalent to a 45% increase for one single player. You would just send a 45% increase every single game in 1v1.
its 10%
Howdah

Hazza54321 wrote:
Le Hussard sur le toit wrote:
its 10%
Oh my mistake. Does not change much in 3v3 though, it's still good mathematically.
Great Britain Black_Duck
Dragoon
ESO: Tom
Clan: DUKC

Post by Black_Duck »

A lot of the time sending team cards can mess up your build though. I was wondering if a team were going to commit to sending team cards then the whole team should, as to negate to a certain extend the weaker individual build?
Challenged_Macro wrote: Respect Mussolini guys,if hes triggered there is always a reason.
Mussolini wrote: I hope corona gets you, your family and all your fuckin relatives as you fuckin deserve it for being cocky
Howdah

Black_Duck wrote:A lot of the time sending team cards can mess up your build though. I was wondering if a team were going to commit to sending team cards then the whole team should, as to negate to a certain extend the weaker individual build?
I suppose right at the beginning you should only send team cards that only make your build a little bit slower (typically team chonindo as Japan is worth around 1.2 vill for you instead of your usual 2 vills, but it such a great card for the team that it is worth it. Same thing for team 3 vills instead of 5 vills as azzy).
France P i k i l i c
Howdah
ESO: Pikilic
GameRanger ID: 7497456

Post by P i k i l i c »

What about units team cards ? I guess team Urumis/Spahis/Dog soldiers are good in 3v3 ? what about team 5 manchus (costs 1000 :coin: ) ?
Consider not the one who speaks the truth, but the truth that is said

:hmm: AoE logic :hmm:
Canada s_deboer
Crossbow
ESO: s_deboer

Post by s_deboer »

Most of the team shipments are really good once you get to 3v3 or 4v4, since you're multiplying the effect without increasing the cost. Exceptions would be team cheap barracks or something like that which is just the worst thing you could possibly add to your deck.
Great Britain TheNameDaniel
Advanced Player
Donator 01
ESO: danielek

Post by TheNameDaniel »

You should play really greedy in team so you can carry your noob teammates by going 3v1 lategame!
Great Britain Black_Duck
Dragoon

Post by Black_Duck »

s_deboer wrote:Most of the team shipments are really good once you get to 3v3 or 4v4, since you're multiplying the effect without increasing the cost. Exceptions would be team cheap barracks or something like that which is just the worst thing you could possibly add to your deck.

https://www.twitch.tv/videos/609238194

Watch the first game, you’ll love it.
Challenged_Macro wrote: Respect Mussolini guys,if hes triggered there is always a reason.
Mussolini wrote: I hope corona gets you, your family and all your fuckin relatives as you fuckin deserve it for being cocky
Canada s_deboer
Crossbow

Post by s_deboer »

First card of the game too? That's so painful, basically a 200w shipment assuming you make 4 rax, and it doesn't even benefit you until you're in age 2. That's so painful to watch.

Edit: ok it was 2nd card, still terrible though.
Great Britain Black_Duck
Dragoon

Post by Black_Duck »

don’t forget followed by archaic inf !
Canada s_deboer
Crossbow

Post by s_deboer »

Team archaic inf isn't that bad, especially with China on the team. Should've sent that one age 1 and then you have 700w coming in
Great Britain Black_Duck
Dragoon

Post by Black_Duck »

Well a combination of 3 age 1 shipments is questionable though, it delays what’s essentially a pike xbow rush for so long . Does raise the question about team cards though and although everyone was trolling the team with cheap barracks did go onto win!
Belgium LegalPenguin
Musketeer

Post by LegalPenguin »

A question on civs synergies: do you think that sending Saiga Herd (mustering 4 saiga's for every village and TC) is worth it to boost the shrines of Japan if you've lost map control?
Great Britain chris1089
Retired Contributor
ESO: chris1089

Post by chris1089 »

You'd be better off doing it for hunt for yourself if you've lost map control