Xb/pike vs musk/huss

Canada dansil92
Retired Contributor
ESO: dansil92

Re: Xb/pike vs musk/huss

Post by dansil92 »

RefluxSemantic wrote:
helln00 wrote:I mean isnt 90% of the problem with halbs are their speed? Changdaos are considered decent purely just for the speed alone.
No, I dont think so. Halbs actually have terrible stats for their cost. They're obviously worse than musks at just dealing damage, and they dont even do much better than musks in melee mode.
Its easy to forget melee attacks are twice as fast so halbs have far superior dps to musks. The speed is legitimately the primary issue with halbs

Halbs and skull knights are the only 4 speed melee units as far as I know
Holy See Imperial Noob
Lancer

Post by Imperial Noob »

Ditto Landsknechts and Flail Elephants
No Flag RefluxSemantic
Gendarme

Post by RefluxSemantic »

helln00 wrote:
RefluxSemantic wrote:
helln00 wrote:I mean isnt 90% of the problem with halbs are their speed? Changdaos are considered decent purely just for the speed alone.
No, I dont think so. Halbs actually have terrible stats for their cost. They're obviously worse than musks at just dealing damage, and they dont even do much better than musks in melee mode.
Idk Halbs are only 25 resources more than changdaos for twice the base damage, 50 vs 35 damage to cav and 2/3rd more hp. I think that is pretty fair.

I think the biggest downside is speed
halbs are 1.6 times as expensive as chandaos actually. Though maybe chandaos are not costed appropriately, if you take the cost of a banner army and divide it by six it's 1.4 times as expensive.
Canada dansil92
Retired Contributor

Post by dansil92 »

Imperial Noob wrote:Ditto Landsknechts and Flail Elephants
Oh yeah... failephants. Man those things just cannot catch a break huh?
Holy See Imperial Noob
Lancer

Post by Imperial Noob »

dansil92 wrote:
Imperial Noob wrote:Ditto Landsknechts and Flail Elephants
Oh yeah... failephants. Man those things just cannot catch a break huh?
They need +0.50 speed and a high positive multiplier vs infantry (5 siege damage in melee, when an abus gun shoots for 40?)
Canada dansil92
Retired Contributor

Post by dansil92 »

Its 10 on ep. 5 speed flails when?
India _RDX_
Lancer
ESO: _RDX_

Post by _RDX_ »

I guess speed is not the only issue of halbs, It is also because it is an age 3 unit and other units seem to shine better for their standard in that age. They don't counter artillery like goons do . A couple of volleys from falconets can deal with the skirm halb composition. But of course, halbs are effective for their 120 res cost, they just need more speed.
oranges.
No Flag helln00
Howdah
ESO: helln00

Post by helln00 »

RefluxSemantic wrote:
helln00 wrote:
Show hidden quotes
Idk Halbs are only 25 resources more than changdaos for twice the base damage, 50 vs 35 damage to cav and 2/3rd more hp. I think that is pretty fair.

I think the biggest downside is speed
halbs are 1.6 times as expensive as chandaos actually. Though maybe chandaos are not costed appropriately, if you take the cost of a banner army and divide it by six it's 1.4 times as expensive.
Assuming that methodology, than that still works out to 90 resources per changdao, which still only makes it 1/3 more expensive. I still think that the speed is the biggest factor.
No Flag helln00
Howdah

Post by helln00 »

dansil92 wrote:Its 10 on ep. 5 speed flails when?
Would it be more fun it we give them higher Hp and range resist instead? Could make them the rams of aoe3, along with the actual iro ram. Slow but soaks up all the range damage
Canada dansil92
Retired Contributor

Post by dansil92 »

They're 500 hp, 50rr. If some noob can't kite you can actually use flails instead of sowars with sepoy, especially fun vs dutch
No Flag helln00
Howdah

Post by helln00 »

500? their base hp is 325 according to the wiki and since they are supposed to be a siege unit give it the same range resist as a falc, 75rr and maybe 600-700 hp as base.
Canada dansil92
Retired Contributor

Post by dansil92 »

I thought it was 500. Man those things just keep disappointing
Germany aligator92
Howdah
ESO: aligator92

Post by aligator92 »

RefluxSemantic wrote: Is this true? The wiki puts them both at 0.10 melee resist.
The wiki also says that War Wagons have 20 range
Canada dansil92
Retired Contributor

Post by dansil92 »

RefluxSemantic wrote:
kevinitalien wrote:
Show hidden quotes
halb at 20% melee resistance while the pike at 10%, which makes it much better against cav
Is this true? The wiki puts them both at 0.10 melee resist.
Missed this: 20 resist is a very recent change to halbs on ep
France Kaiserklein
Pro Player
GameRanger ID: 5529322

Post by Kaiserklein »

RefluxSemantic wrote:Well, a veteran pikeman deals 48 damage per hit to cav, a halberdeer 50. Halberdeers are actually 40% more expensive. They do have 40% more HP and I know comparing stats like these don't give the full picture, but holy shit halbs are bad at doing what they should be doing.
Yeah can't maths like that, you can try fighting equal investments of halbs or pikes and you'll see halbs don't do worse vs cav.
RefluxSemantic wrote:
What, 25 damage vs everything is a lot, much more than a musk. If they had 5 speed halbs would definitely be strong. Speed is the main downside, not stats.
LoOk_tOm wrote:I have something in particular against Kaisar (GERMANY NOOB mercenary LAMME FOREVER) And the other people (noobs) like suck kaiser ... just this ..
France chronique
Advanced Player
ESO: poissondu44

Post by chronique »

I don't understand why halbardier still 4 speed on EP, i mean, this unit is usless because he walk like my grandfather (which is dead). 4.5 should be resonable i guess
France [Armag] diarouga
Ninja
NWC LAN Gold
ESO: diarouga

Post by [Armag] diarouga »

chronique wrote:I don't understand why halbardier still 4 speed on EP, i mean, this unit is usless because he walk like my grandfather (which is dead). 4.5 should be resonable i guess
Halbs are not useless atm. Sometimes as Dutch you want to train them when you don't have enough anti cav.
France chronique
Advanced Player
ESO: poissondu44

Post by chronique »

[Armag] diarouga wrote: Halbs are not useless atm. Sometimes as Dutch you want to train them when you don't have enough anti cav.
Realy?, i have never see this unit in regular game, maybe 5 halb againt jap but no more.
Germany Rohbrot
Howdah
ECL Reigning Champs
ESO: Rohbrot

Post by Rohbrot »

Halbs are really useless ngl. 4.5 speed would make them better / op?
Spain pain train is real
Italy Garja
Retired Contributor
Donator 02
ESO: Garja

Post by Garja »

You can play around halb speed weakness but ye 4.5 speed would straight up make the unit legit.
Image Image Image
Canada dansil92
Retired Contributor

Post by dansil92 »

chronique wrote:
[Armag] diarouga wrote: Halbs are not useless atm. Sometimes as Dutch you want to train them when you don't have enough anti cav.
Realy?, i have never see this unit in regular game, maybe 5 halb againt jap but no more.
If you lose a stable as Dutch, yeah sometimes you have to make 5, 10 of em while you get your stable(s) back up

I do agree that 4.5 base speed would be a reasonable buff across the board. I dont think it would be op since
Dopps, jpk, samurai, etc.
Are all 4.5 speed and none of them are op. I would just point out caution regarding speed scaling with dutch, though, dopps do this potentially too so should be ok
France Kaiserklein
Pro Player
GameRanger ID: 5529322

Post by Kaiserklein »

4.5 speed and 20% resist was the obvious way to make the unit somewhat viable. Even then you'd rather just go goons as they're much more versatile, but it would make it okay in some niche situations (e.g the 8 halbs shipment, or maybe vs china or ger)
LoOk_tOm wrote:I have something in particular against Kaisar (GERMANY NOOB mercenary LAMME FOREVER) And the other people (noobs) like suck kaiser ... just this ..
No Flag Jaeger
Jaeger

Post by Jaeger »

harcha wrote:
ovi12 wrote:I know this has been suggested before, but I really think EP should look into making (non-veteran) halbs available in age 2 for Dutch.
no
yes
last time i cryed was because i stood on Lego
Canada dansil92
Retired Contributor

Post by dansil92 »

This has been a thoroughly civil and productive discussion :flowers:
United States of America iCourt
Retired Contributor
ESO: iCourt

Post by iCourt »

If aoe2 willing to boost Teutonic Knight speed several times we should at least give it a try for halbs after all these years.