russia is so one dimensional is it not

No Flag Jaeger
Jaeger

Re: russia is so one dimensional is it not

Post by Jaeger »

Astaroth wrote:
ovi12 wrote:What about adding a big trickle card for Russia in age 2 to offset the lack of 5v? Food trickle might make the most sense, but that might be too OP since Russian hunts will last significantly longer.
Also, what about making the Westernization tech available in the church without having to send a card? (maybe need to make it more expensive)
No offense, but horrible idea. Russia has amazing eco scaling and a great age2, one of the very best. They certainly don't need an eco boost.
I think that one of the reasons Russia doesn't have as many options is because of no 5v card, so this was supposed to make up for it; it's not for imporving lategame eco. If Russia send this card they will have an even more OP late colonial, but it will also give the enemy a lot of time to either age or push the BH.
last time i cryed was because i stood on Lego
Argentina Jets
Dragoon
ESO: SsJetstream
Clan: FPL

Post by Jets »

Well, you can also do the cav archer + strelet combo in a semi ff, I sometimes do that against brits and Japan. You end up with better units if u play your cards correctly, besides you want your strelets to be optimal counters against musks/ashis.
No Flag helln00
Howdah
ESO: helln00

Post by helln00 »

I think the problem with russia and its FI build is that russia scale with time, not with aging up necessarily so what ends up happening is players control the map and drag the game in colo so that the russian eco can outscale the opponents more easily.

If we want russia to play pass age 2 often times its against very boomy civs which means that russia is really vulnerable if they cant outboom them, which they cant.

I think a way to make russia less reliant on age 2 would be something like slow down blockhouse construction but give it more HP so that they have an option of hunkering down and build up the eco that can support their age 4 composition
Great Britain chris1089
Retired Contributor
ESO: chris1089

Post by chris1089 »

Pretty sure this would just make containing even stronger @helln00
Canada dansil92
Retired Contributor
ESO: dansil92

Post by dansil92 »

There just doesn't seem to be anything that makes russia more diverse that doesnt make their meta play stronger
No Flag helln00
Howdah

Post by helln00 »

chris1089 wrote:Pretty sure this would just make containing even stronger @helln00
idk if say the build time is such that a 1 vil blockhouse drop results in a timing where most ff civ can have a decent defend I think that changes the play enough.

Like what I think is needed first is a redesign somehow to make the contain somewhat more seperated from the rush. Like maybe in order to have that very early 5 cossack you need to have like 4 vils building it and but you can build at home and its much more defendable or something. Or make sevastapol increase the blockhouse hp instead so that its a more telegraphed thing that russia is going for the longer game.
Great Britain chris1089
Retired Contributor

Post by chris1089 »

Also a longer build time makes it pretty vulnerable to nat rushes.
No Flag helln00
Howdah

Post by helln00 »

chris1089 wrote:Also a longer build time makes it pretty vulnerable to nat rushes.
hmm yes that is true, damn you russia and your one dimensional power
Great Britain chris1089
Retired Contributor

Post by chris1089 »

helln00 wrote:
chris1089 wrote:Also a longer build time makes it pretty vulnerable to nat rushes.
hmm yes that is true, damn you russia and your one dimensional power
I'd like to make them have more options too. :smile:
France louis293
Musketeer
ESO: obelix293

Post by louis293 »

i have a noob question, is it possible to cav start as russia in some match up ? something like 5coss then 700 gold (or vice versa), trying to outmass cav opponent, to raid then making some strelets to timing push with boyars ?
No Flag fightinfrenchman
Ninja
Donator 04

Post by fightinfrenchman »

louis293 wrote:i have a noob question, is it possible to cav start as russia in some match up ? something like 5coss then 700 gold (or vice versa), trying to outmass cav opponent, to raid then making some strelets to timing push with boyars ?
Anything is possible if you put your mind to it
Dromedary Scone Mix is not Alone Mix
France [Armag] diarouga
Ninja
NWC LAN Gold
ESO: diarouga

Post by [Armag] diarouga »

louis293 wrote:i have a noob question, is it possible to cav start as russia in some match up ? something like 5coss then 700 gold (or vice versa), trying to outmass cav opponent, to raid then making some strelets to timing push with boyars ?
Not really tbh. You don't have to eco to train both cav and infantry with Russia so if you open cav you'll have to make cav only for a lot of time. Besides you don't really have the eco to get 5 coss batches. I can't think of a situation where cav start would be better.
Germany richard
Dragoon

Post by richard »

louis293 wrote:i have a noob question, is it possible to cav start as russia in some match up ?
Yes, it is possible.
Germany blackout
Dragoon

Post by blackout »

louis293 wrote:is it possible to cav start as russia in some match up ?
I send 5cos 4cos 700w sometimes vs civs like france who cav semi. Works pretty good dunno if it makes sense tho
Canada dansil92
Retired Contributor
ESO: dansil92

Post by dansil92 »

It is possible to get 2 full batchesof 5 cossacks and ship 5 & 4 for 19 cossacks at about 7:05, but its not super relevant to do so in 1v1,whereas in team games you can abuse this pretty badly. Cant really train infantry, at all, until 700 wood afterwards
China fei123456
Jaeger
ESO: fei123456

Post by fei123456 »

Russis is a civ that can have quite versatile strategies IN THEORY. But their poor early eco makes most of them unavailable.
No Flag Good ol Ivan
Howdah
ESO: ivanelterrible

Post by Good ol Ivan »

I feel like this will be a silly suggestion, but what if Russian Halbs were even cheaper?
I don't think anyone ever masses Halbs as Russia, would give them some variety..
France louis293
Musketeer

Post by louis293 »

another question, is there some sort of russian fast forteress oprichnik to counter japan schrine boom ? (maybe sending falcs at home with musks/halb if japan tries to punish age up) i struggle to rush, people sometimes send cm and contain doesn't work cause japan just don't need map control and i have no good siege to kill schrines and it take some time before having the eco to spam endless and idle endless.
Latvia harcha
Gendarme
ESO: hatamoto_samurai

Post by harcha »

@louis293
oprichnicks can be useful vs japan, but usually you will see them after russia has had a successful colonial play. going straight to III as russia is kind of weak and this MU is no exception

you are correct to assert that it is hard to rush japan. this is why you only wanna end up in this matchup on maps where you have additional eco options (stagecoach/sea) to make your contain stronger
POC wrote:Also I most likely know a whole lot more than you.
POC wrote:Also as an objective third party, and near 100% accuracy of giving correct information, I would say my opinions are more reliable than yours.
No Flag helln00
Howdah

Post by helln00 »

maybe we have been thinking about how to change russia wrong. They are strong on maps with no tp or other alternative source of income so instead of changing russia we should make other civ slightly more sturdy and then buff other russian options on tp and water maps.
Latvia harcha
Gendarme
ESO: hatamoto_samurai

Post by harcha »

helln00 wrote:maybe we have been thinking about how to change russia wrong. They are strong on maps with no tp or other alternative source of income so instead of changing russia we should make other civ slightly more sturdy and then buff other russian options on tp and water maps.
That seems like a roundabout way of making russia less one-dimensional. Honestly I don't even care that they are one-dimensional, why shouldn't one out of 14...16 civs be specifically like russia is now? Also russia water ain't that bad and the early BH means that you take control of a particular TP socket.
POC wrote:Also I most likely know a whole lot more than you.
POC wrote:Also as an objective third party, and near 100% accuracy of giving correct information, I would say my opinions are more reliable than yours.
United States of America Squamiger
Howdah
ESO: Squamiger

Post by Squamiger »

louis293 wrote:another question, is there some sort of russian fast forteress oprichnik to counter japan schrine boom ? (maybe sending falcs at home with musks/halb if japan tries to punish age up) i struggle to rush, people sometimes send cm and contain doesn't work cause japan just don't need map control and i have no good siege to kill schrines and it take some time before having the eco to spam endless and idle endless.
1. play russia vs japan
2. age to 3 while japan shrine booms
3. make opris to start sieging shrines
4. 35 veteran ashigaru and 2 flaming arrows are in your base
5. ???
6. resign
France louis293
Musketeer

Post by louis293 »

Squamiger wrote:
louis293 wrote:another question, is there some sort of russian fast forteress oprichnik to counter japan schrine boom ? (maybe sending falcs at home with musks/halb if japan tries to punish age up) i struggle to rush, people sometimes send cm and contain doesn't work cause japan just don't need map control and i have no good siege to kill schrines and it take some time before having the eco to spam endless and idle endless.
1. play russia vs japan
2. age to 3 while japan shrine booms
3. make opris to start sieging shrines
4. 35 veteran ashigaru and 2 flaming arrows are in your base
5. ???
6. resign
yeah u are rigth i tested it today it was something similar like that xD
United States of America alistairpeter
Dragoon
ESO: alistairpeter

Post by alistairpeter »

Can't you just give them a fast age to3? You don't get the 3 vill in age one, but you don't really need it bc your eco catches up pretty quickly. I don't see what would hold them back from trickle, 700 wood, 700 gold. Maybe get a tp like other ff civs. Train musks in transition and get vet musks once aged, and send 2 falcs. I've lost to this kind of thing before, it feels similar to when france does it.
France Le Hussard sur le toit
Howdah
ESO: LeHussardsurletoit

Post by Le Hussard sur le toit »

alistairpeter wrote:Can't you just give them a fast age to3? You don't get the 3 vill in age one, but you don't really need it bc your eco catches up pretty quickly. I don't see what would hold them back from trickle, 700 wood, 700 gold. Maybe get a tp like other ff civs. Train musks in transition and get vet musks once aged, and send 2 falcs. I've lost to this kind of thing before, it feels similar to when france does it.
They have a fast age 3. The problem is that they can't semi-ff cause they don't get a 5 vills shipments, they can't ff because they don't have enough eco early on. In both case they need to upgrade their stelets and their musks (and need a lot of pop to spam shipments), and they don't have the eco for that in the early game.
ESOC : came for the game, stayed for the drama.