How do you get ahead in this game?

France iNcog
Ninja

Post by iNcog »

Well isn't that why Garja is as good a player he is?

Not even being a suck up or anything here, but Garja's approach is the right one. If you lose it's because you made less mistakes than your opponent. 75% of playing an RTS game is playing against yourself really, where you try to play perfectly as you can while exploiting the other guy's mistakes.
YouTube: https://www.youtube.com/incog_aoe
Garja wrote: ↑
20 Mar 2020, 21:46
I just hope DE is not going to implement all of the EP changes. Right now it is a big clusterfuck.
Italy Garja
Retired Contributor
Donator 02
ESO: Garja

Post by Garja »

umeu wrote:When garja loses, the other guy never won, garja just lost cuz of his mistakes. When garja wins, garja didnt win because the other guy lost due to his mistakes, but garja won amyway despite his own mistakes.

This is the first and fundamental principle of aoe3
Well as much as you put it in an ironic way, you still have a point.
I rarely get the feel of being outplayed. It''s not like the opponent forces mistakes out of me or do stuff that I didn''t'' see coming. Most of times is just me building an advantage and throwing it with one bad call. Other times I play so bad from the start that what the opponent does is irrelevant. And I admit I played it bad, so it is not an excuse of "why I didn''t win".

On the other hand I do point out that opponents lose due to their own mistakes. Like if I would be able to stream and commentate my games I would be very critical about what the opponent is doing. But usually is way more than 1 single bad call. You see the assymetry here.

All of this is due to the game not having a draw outcome but only victory and defeat.
Image Image Image
France [Armag] diarouga
Ninja
NWC LAN Gold
ESO: diarouga

Post by [Armag] diarouga »

umeu wrote:When garja loses, the other guy never won, garja just lost cuz of his mistakes. When garja wins, garja didnt win because the other guy lost due to his mistakes, but garja won amyway despite his own mistakes.

This is the first and fundamental principle of aoe3
Haha so true!
No Flag deleted_user0
Ninja

Post by deleted_user0 »

incog wrote:Well isn''t that why Garja is as good a player he is?

Not even being a suck up or anything here, but Garja''s approach is the right one. If you lose it''s because you made less mistakes than your opponent. 75% of playing an RTS game is playing against yourself really, where you try to play perfectly as you can while exploiting the other guy''s mistakes.

Ye but its the same for all. With garja however, when he wins his opponents mistakes dont matter, he wouldve won anyway. When he loses his opponents strong plays dont matter, because if garja hadnt made mistakes he wouldve won. Just read the water thread

Obv he is a good but hes not the only one.

Anyway it was more a joke with some core of truth than a serious criticism. So ill leave it herr
Switzerland _venox_
Howdah
ESO: _Venox_

Post by _venox_ »

Stop the hate, share the love.
Don't let the things you can't change dictate your life.
France iNcog
Ninja

Post by iNcog »

Garja maybe you can start a youtube channel ^^ i'd love it
I just hope DE is not going to implement all of the EP changes. Right now it is a big clusterfuck.
Italy Garja
Retired Contributor
Donator 02

Post by Garja »

I used to make VODs from time to time but now the HD is quite full and I think reccing while playing will cause lag.
Image Image Image
Italy Garja
Retired Contributor
Donator 02

Post by Garja »

I asked because I was going to, but now I can't due to bad net. You can remove it.
Image Image Image
France iNcog
Ninja

Post by iNcog »

garja wrote:I used to make VODs from time to time but now the HD is quite full and I think reccing while playing will cause lag.

depends on settings you use and i guess maybe you can also empty your HDD

hmm

open broadcaster software is much better than FRAPS in that regard tbh
No Flag _Tomahawk_
Crossbow

Post by _Tomahawk_ »

garja wrote:...
On the other hand I do point out that opponents lose due to their own mistakes.
Exactly...
Yesterday I did a game me Sgt with a 2 LT vs a captain + a (sorry) very noob SGT.
The LT playing with me (actually his name is Sarcomere, he was looking for players to play with in a post few days ago here on Eso Forums) was at least 3 times telling me move this move. He was not only defeating the army of the two players attacking him in town and doing many things like message me help me help me but also critically analysing what I was doing.

This is actually in Team games what is missing and can help a lot to see things that alone you difficultly would see.
So an UP for Sarcomere and for all those who brought here clear and true suggestions to be a better player.
After that you need a guide and really fun and good mates to play with, otherwise you don''t learn.

I am looking for players I can play with. i can''t take it anymore to be just SGT and PANIC all the time the games starts too be too much dynamic.

... it''s a thing I love though: when the games starts to get really in the situation where you can win or lose for a move and the one after, it''s really fun, but still I get too excited and adrenaline kicks in. I think this is an handicap I have :)
No Flag phxnozemsagogo
Crossbow

Post by phxnozemsagogo »

huge oversimplification of starcraft
No Flag Jaeger
Jaeger

Post by Jaeger »

ninja01 wrote:
garja wrote:...
On the other hand I do point out that opponents lose due to their own mistakes.
Exactly...
Yesterday I did a game me Sgt with a 2 LT vs a captain + a (sorry) very noob SGT.
The LT playing with me (actually his name is Sarcomere, he was looking for players to play with in a post few days ago here on Eso Forums) was at least 3 times telling me move this move. He was not only defeating the army of the two players attacking him in town and doing many things like message me help me help me but also critically analysing what I was doing.

This is actually in Team games what is missing and can help a lot to see things that alone you difficultly would see.
So an UP for Sarcomere and for all those who brought here clear and true suggestions to be a better player.
After that you need a guide and really fun and good mates to play with, otherwise you dont learn.

I am looking for players I can play with. i cant take it anymore to be just SGT and PANIC all the time the games starts too be too much dynamic.

... its a thing I love though: when the games starts to get really in the situation where you can win or lose for a move and the one after, its really fun, but still I get too excited and adrenaline kicks in. I think this is an handicap I have :)
If you want to improve, I think 1v1 is many times better for improvement than 2v2 or 3v3.
last time i cryed was because i stood on Lego
Finland princeofkabul
Pro Player
NWC LAN Top 8EPL Reigning Champs
ESO: Princeofkabul

Post by princeofkabul »

ovi12 wrote:
ninja01 wrote:Exactly...

After that you need a guide and really fun and good mates to play with, otherwise you dont learn.

I am looking for players I can play with. i cant take it anymore to be just SGT and PANIC all the time the games starts too be too much dynamic.

... its a thing I love though: when the games starts to get really in the situation where you can win or lose for a move and the one after, its really fun, but still I get too excited and adrenaline kicks in. I think this is an handicap I have :)
If you want to improve, I think 1v1 is many times better for improvement than 2v2 or 3v3.

1v1 and team is just diffirent kind of skill, wierd ppl dont know that.
Chairman of Washed Up clan
Leader of the Shady Swedes
Team Manager of the Blockhouse Boomers
Netherlands Goodspeed
Retired Contributor

Post by Goodspeed »

Competitive 2v2 is actually quite similar to 1v1, you need the same kind of mechanical skills and strategic understanding for it although to a lesser extent, and it adds teamwork of course. But yeah 3v3 random is a different game entirely.
No Flag Jaeger
Jaeger

Post by Jaeger »

princeofkabul wrote:
ovi12 wrote:If you want to improve, I think 1v1 is many times better for improvement than 2v2 or 3v3.
1v1 and team is just diffirent kind of skill, wierd ppl dont know that.
I guess thats true at high level but at lower level (where you need to learn the game) in team game i think you dont get punished as much as in 1v1 for sloppy play.
last time i cryed was because i stood on Lego
You have not set your flag, click to select your flag. Marco1698

Post by Marco1698 »

Play a lot and start with a civilization. Rec game and practice make you better. To get very high ranks I think you should have a talent for rts game. Not everyone can reach colonels or up without years of experience unless you are korean like grunt or have a personal talent for this kind of game. American players are very good too. Indeed if you see on every wcg of every rts game Koreans and Americans are always on the best positions. This is just a curiosity maybe it doesn't matter to your question tho
Switzerland _venox_
Howdah
ESO: _Venox_

Post by _venox_ »

I like your signature Marco.
Don't let the things you can't change dictate your life.
No Flag divine_moon
Dragoon

Post by divine_moon »

ovi12 wrote:
princeofkabul wrote: 1v1 and team is just diffirent kind of skill, wierd ppl dont know that.
I guess thats true at high level but at lower level (where you need to learn the game) in team game i think you dont get punished as much as in 1v1 for sloppy play.
id prefer to lose to MY OWN sloppy play t han lose to having a rubbish teammate.... :coffee:
France iNcog
Ninja

Post by iNcog »

marco1698 wrote:Play a lot and start with a civilization. Rec game and practice make you better. To get very high ranks I think you should have a talent for rts game. Not everyone can reach colonels or up without years of experience unless you are korean like grunt or have a personal talent for this kind of game. American players are very good too. Indeed if you see on every wcg of every rts game Koreans and Americans are always on the best positions. This is just a curiosity maybe it doesn''t matter to your question tho

um in starcraft there''s like one legitimate foreigner from NA ? scarlet? the rest is OK but nothing as good as top tier euros
No Flag _Tomahawk_
Crossbow

Post by _Tomahawk_ »

1 to 1 is so difficult for me... Also recording could be useful but then I need to "replay" it by watching what has been recorded and study myself. It is cool but who has time for this ? A teenager I guess.
It's not easy to get fast and good in a few games. I wish It could be easy. I see a lot of year or 2 year friends on the list that were corporal or sergeant like me and that got to much higher ranks. Like captain, or 1 and 2 lieutenant.
I look at me always being sgt and rarely downgraded to cpr ... well, that's me I guess.

Post by Marco1698 »

ninja01 wrote:1 to 1 is so difficult for me... Also recording could be useful but then I need to "replay" it by watching what has been recorded and study myself. It is cool but who has time for this ? A teenager I guess.
It''s not easy to get fast and good in a few games. I wish It could be easy. I see a lot of year or 2 year friends on the list that were corporal or sergeant like me and that got to much higher ranks. Like captain, or 1 and 2 lieutenant.
I look at me always being sgt and rarely downgraded to cpr ... well, that''s me I guess.

to get good you need years of playing. Notone become pro on a few time.

Post by Marco1698 »

venox wrote:I like your signature Marco.

thanks
No Flag _Tomahawk_
Crossbow

Post by _Tomahawk_ »

All right this makes clear a lot of things.