How do I play Japan in Team Games?

United States of America Darwin_
Howdah

How do I play Japan in Team Games?

Post by Darwin_ »

I am primarily a dutch player, and almost exclusively play 3v3's on nilla. I play some TAD too, but still just play Dutch. I've played Japan a fair amount in 1v1 and really like it. From my previous topic, one where I asked what the best team civ are in TAD, and many said Japan. So my question is, How do I play Japan in Team. I assume I spam ashigaru and go greedy with shrines, but beyond that I have little idea. Should I age to fortress? Industrial? What other units should I make? Should I place my shrines defensively, or around the map, like in 1v1?
somppukunkku wrote:This is not a fucking discogame.
Canada forgrin
Howdah
ESO: Forgrin

Re: How do I play Japan in Team Games?

Post by forgrin »

Tbh I don't play as Japan in teams but from what I've seen team/opponents do:

Since most of teams is constant combat, the dayimos and the pavilion wonder are really good, so you want fortress somewhat soon and Industrial is usually a good idea. Essentially you want to abuse the number of upgrades Japan gets.

I've never seen ppl make anything but ashi. Not really a point; yumi are good but arguably too expensive compared to other skirms in team, and nagis are kinda meh for similar reasons.
https://www.twitch.tv/forgin14

"WTF WHERE ARE MY 10 FALCS" - AraGun_OP
No Flag sacredfool
Crossbow

Post by sacredfool »

I would have said going yumi is probably better as they are insane with the cards on them, and someone on your team will probably have access to goons for anticav and just age2 ashi aren't significantly better than normal musks anymore. Though I guess if you have good mechanics then doing a ton of ashi raids could be really strong. Japan has good scaling in all ages really (good colonial cards, good eco in general, golden pavillion and close combat/way of the bow/bloody harvest depending on what unit(s) you are making for fortress and shogun, shrine upgrade for industrial and just their shrine eco anyway) so you generally would want to be going for longer game as Japan keeps getting better faster than many other civs. Clearly how much you want to age and what unit to make depends on the other civs in the game though as well as what happens in the game. (Like if you have the only musks you probably want to be going ashi especially if the other team is agressive, and just obvious general stuff like if they go for some allin rush playing greedy is not a good idea etc.)

I'm pretty bad though so that could all be really wrong.
Canada forgrin
Howdah
ESO: Forgrin

Post by forgrin »

Yeah the main reason ppl go ashi is for raiding potential from what I see, plus they scale alot better than regular musks into lategame and musk-cav is so dominant in teams.
https://www.twitch.tv/forgin14

"WTF WHERE ARE MY 10 FALCS" - AraGun_OP
No Flag v1pus
Skirmisher

Post by v1pus »

If you manage to get a large amount of Yumi, then your steam roll. If on your team you have anti cav. My yumi's have been the difference many times.
New Zealand zoom
Gendarme
ESO: Funnu

Post by zoom »

Teammates are expendable. Make Yumi and 3v1 if need be.