Trading post stagecoach question

No Flag DemonDog
Skirmisher

Trading post stagecoach question

Post by DemonDog »

I'm going to use great plains as the basis for this question. This is not map with three trading post and not the EP version at all.

Player x has two TP's

Player y has one TP

Should player X upgrade it to stagecoach or dumb idea?
No Flag thebritish
Jaeger

Re: Trading post stagecoach question

Post by thebritish »

no. never
krichk wrote: For some reason, you want the world to know that you're brave enough to challenge thebritish
No Flag Jaeger
Jaeger

Post by Jaeger »

I would upgrade it most of the time, but make sure to have units near the other trading posts so the enemy doesn't use the extra 400 res they have on you to build 2 more TP's
last time i cryed was because i stood on Lego
Netherlands MCJim
Retired Contributor
ESO: MCJim

Post by MCJim »

Not sure if it's good on 3 tp maps like GP or Arkansas. Keep in mind your opponent will get free resources as well and he doesn't have to pay for stage coach. Tbh the risk of losing one on these maps is pretty high. I'd only build 2 if I know I can defend them well or if I'm ahead.
:food: My AoE3 YouTube channel: https://www.youtube.com/c/MCJimAgeofEmpiresIII
:wood: My AoE3 Twitch channel: https://www.twitch.tv/MCJim_

:coin: Age of Streaming YouTube channel: https://www.youtube.com/c/AgeOfStreaming
Italy Garja
Retired Contributor
Donator 02
ESO: Garja

Post by Garja »

DemonDog wrote:I'm going to use great plains as the basis for this question. This is not map with three trading post and not the EP version at all.

Player x has two TP's

Player y has one TP

In otto mirror was kinda common knowledge to not up the route till you had a military advantage
Image Image Image
No Flag DemonDog
Skirmisher

Post by DemonDog »

Garja wrote:
DemonDog wrote:I'm going to use great plains as the basis for this question. This is not map with three trading post and not the EP version at all.

Player x has two TP's

Player y has one TP

In otto mirror was kinda common knowledge to not up the route till you had a military advantage

I was thinking more of French mirror in my head. Although I didn't know that about ottos though.
Great Britain britishmusketeer
Howdah

Post by britishmusketeer »

If you have a military advantage then yes.
No Flag S_I_D_aoe3
Crossbow

Post by S_I_D_aoe3 »

I think it is more situational. If you get military lead and you can afford to dump 400res into it then I think it can be okay. I've done it on GP or Patagonia before since each side has 3 tps and the upgrade only affects me.
LP-33
Spain yoqpasa
Lancer
ESO: yoqpasa

Post by yoqpasa »

I never give my enemy anything for free, except maybe with 4-1 tp's.

Great Britain Panmaster
Skirmisher

Post by Panmaster »

Did you know that Stagecoach AKA TradeRouteUpgrade1 is bugged? The tech status is always inactive. Not a problem for humans but it's a PITA for the computer player.
TAD AI Reference Guide
"Better to remain silent and be thought a fool than to speak out and remove all doubt." - Abraham Lincoln
Netherlands momuuu
Ninja
ESO: Jerom_

Post by momuuu »

Well its kinda like upgrading just a single trading post right, which doesnt really seem worth it. If you're sure you wont lose the middle TP it might be worth it I suppose.
United States of America Ikilled4penguins
Skirmisher
ESO: Ikill4penguins

Post by Ikilled4penguins »

Jerom wrote:Well its kinda like upgrading just a single trading post right, which doesnt really seem worth it. If you're sure you wont lose the middle TP it might be worth it I suppose.

yoqpasa wrote:I never give my enemy anything for free, except maybe with 4-1 tp's.

Agree to both of these, and will elaborate further on my logic:
1. Need to see a return of investment. If opponent can easily knock down TP's, probably a no-go.

and

2. The stage coach upgrade will in some way provide you a greater advantage than to the opponent, in which case you are taking a risk. There are countless possible scenarios, I will illustrate an example on Great Lakes:
    You are Ottoman and rush early game, but things don't work out. Your economy is now almost hopelessly far behind, but you have sea deck w/ schooners (40 wood fishies!), while your opponent(s) chose land deck (or you believe you will be able to control sea). You also have 2-3 TP's, while the opponent(s) might have same number or less. At this point, your chance of survival might be greater to risk giving your opponent who is already ahead a relatively small economic advantage, while giving yourself a relatively larger one to catch up/stay in the fight.
      It's worth pointing out in these scenarios most of us assume all resources are spent efficiently. For games pr25 & under, it's very possible for opponents far enough ahead to be floating tons of resources (guilty of this myself), in which case they might not truly capitalize on your stagecoach upgrade. Also, if it's a team game, it is possible the enemy occupied TP's are divided among multiple players (as opposed to being owned by one person), thus providing them each less of an economic advantage.
Germany yemshi
Jaeger
ESO: yemshi

Post by yemshi »

never sea boom on great lakes