Wilderness warfare card

Tonga sdsanft
Howdah
ESO: sdsanft

Wilderness warfare card

Post by sdsanft »

I'm wondering why french players don't use this card. It boosts CdB, skirm and native warrior hp by 10%(not sure about TAD but apparently it was 20% in TWC) and is imo a much better card than LI hp since xbows are rarely used anyways. Thoughts?

Site: Be there or be square
Jakey: I'm square because I'm not around
No Flag Jaeger
Jaeger

Re: Wilderness warfare card

Post by Jaeger »

Nobody uses natives and the extra vill hp is not consistently helpful (unless maybe you are really good at fighting with vills) so the main reason to send it is for the skirms. But you need to have dozens of skirms for this to be better than an 8 or 7 skirm shipment.

Also, the main 2 reasons to make skirms are:
1) To counter goons
2) To counter enemy skirms

France isn't really weak to goon spam anyway because they can easily mass their own goons and skirms. That leaves 2). As france, you fortunately have cuirassiers which also do a good job at countering enemy skirms, and you can invest a much better card in them, 15% combat. They also make your army a 3 unit composition (which might still be inferior to pure skirm goon, but it's nice because if you're winning a fight you can really end the game) and are better at killing vills
last time i cryed was because i stood on Lego
Canada Mitoe
Advanced Theory Craftsman
ESO: Mitoe
GameRanger ID: 346407

Post by Mitoe »

It's 20% in TAD.

Usually, it's not overly useful. However, there's no harm in having it in your deck if you're going to be playing a matchup in fortress anyway, and it's likely a lot more useful than cav attack (which I personally have replaced with wilderness warfare).

The majority of the time it will not be worth sending, but in a long drawn out fortress fight, it will eventually become a relevant shipment that can help you win the skirm war in late fortress.
Tonga sdsanft
Howdah

Post by sdsanft »

It's obviously not as useful in 1v1 but in team games where upgrade cards tend to be favored, I've seen many people who have LI up but not WIlderness Warfare and the only difference is that WW gives vills extra hp while LI benefits xbows, which are never used if you actually have access to skirms anyways.

Australia Hazza54321
Pro Player
Winter Champion 2020 x2Donator 01
ESO: PrinceofBabu

Post by Hazza54321 »

in team french players mostly go goon cuir for the most part, however ofc they can make skirms but the team RI attack in age 3 is far superior and you generally cant fit that card in you deck
Great Britain britishmusketeer
Howdah

Post by britishmusketeer »

I think its for sure worth a space in a french deck. Cav attack is a pretty terrible card that you wouldn't send that often since you don't really see lots cuirs in 1v1 and in age 2 there are better cards to send. Having 20% extra hp in skirms wars is extremely nice in late fort. For team it's probably bad since you don't typically make anything unmounted.
Netherlands momuuu
Ninja
ESO: Jerom_

Post by momuuu »

It didnt feel like I had to cut important cards to put it in, iirc.
Netherlands Veni_Vidi_Vici_W
Lancer
ESO: ramex19

Post by Veni_Vidi_Vici_W »

I sometimes use it, indeed a good skirm boost while helping vills (tanking also if you fight near them)
Age Of Empires 3 Videos - GamePlay, Commentary & Tutorials: http://www.youtube.com/venividiviciw
Age Of Empires 3 Live Stream - http://www.twitch.tv/venividivici_w
Germany lordraphael
Pro Player
EWTNWC LAN SilverAdvanced Division WinnerDonator 01

Post by lordraphael »

I have it in every deck its a very good card
breeze wrote: they cant even guess how much f***ing piece of stupid retarded they look they are trying to give lesson to people who are over pr35 and know the best mu. im pretty sure that we need a page that only pr30+ post and then we could have a nice discussins.
Tonga sdsanft
Howdah

Post by sdsanft »

I used it in a team game yesterday, so it was pretty useful. In Nilla 3v3 you always have one guy go skirm, one cav and one musk, but we were all French so I opted to go skirm because I have a skirm deck. The extra hp really helped in the fights and made my skirms a little bit more tanky. I'd say it probably saved atleast one or two vills as well just because I'm bad at defending raids, so if nothing else it's a skirm hp + potentially 1~2 vill card.

No Flag deleted_user0
Ninja

Post by deleted_user0 »

i have it in infantry orientated decks and decks in which i use for games that i expect to be scrappy and that will require cdb pulls. its a pretty good card and i would indeed use it over the xbow/skirm hp card unless im expecting to play bow pike.
United States of America _H2O
ESOC Business Team
Donator 06
ESO: _H2O

Post by _H2O »

In general people are missing out in late game cards. This cards a good one only for the boost to skirms. The rest is trivial really
United States of America gro74
Crossbow
ESO: gro74

Post by gro74 »

How about in treaty?
Every man has his own way of eating yogurt.
Poland pecelot
Retired Contributor
Donator 03
ESO: Pezet

Post by pecelot »

It's a necessary card there, as it upgrades the unit you're fighting with.
Argentina Jotunir
Howdah

Post by Jotunir »

From my point of view, there are better cards to send in colonial, fortress and industrial instead. Generally you want to boost the attack of your skirmishers more than their tanking capabilities. It's not a bad card, but it's opportunity cost is too high and it's too specific.
Canada dansil92
Retired Contributor
ESO: dansil92

Post by dansil92 »

Jotunir wrote:From my point of view, there are better cards to send in colonial, fortress and industrial instead. Generally you want to boost the attack of your skirmishers more than their tanking capabilities. It's not a bad card, but it's opportunity cost is too high and it's too specific.
5 years too late there buddy
United States of America Squamiger
Howdah
ESO: Squamiger

Post by Squamiger »

jotunir coming in with the insightful advice
Argentina Jotunir
Howdah

Post by Jotunir »

dansil92 wrote:
Jotunir wrote:From my point of view, there are better cards to send in colonial, fortress and industrial instead. Generally you want to boost the attack of your skirmishers more than their tanking capabilities. It's not a bad card, but it's opportunity cost is too high and it's too specific.
5 years too late there buddy
Better late than never ;)
France Kaiserklein
Pro Player
GameRanger ID: 5529322

Post by Kaiserklein »

Except it's a pretty good card.
1) In pure skirm wars it's better than the 15% attack card because, well, it's 20%
2) In other situations you want DPS so the attack card is slightly better, but wilderness warfare is still pretty good regardless as a second skirm card
3) The cdb hp boost is not the most relevant but it's still nice
LoOk_tOm wrote:I have something in particular against Kaisar (GERMANY NOOB mercenary LAMME FOREVER) And the other people (noobs) like suck kaiser ... just this ..
Argentina Jotunir
Howdah

Post by Jotunir »

Kaiserklein wrote:Except it's a pretty good card.
1) In pure skirm wars it's better than the 15% attack card because, well, it's 20%
2) In other situations you want DPS so the attack card is slightly better, but wilderness warfare is still pretty good regardless as a second skirm card
3) The cdb hp boost is not the most relevant but it's still nice
Well, I never said that it was a bad card, it has it's use for sure but I never end up sending it. I prefer to use a combined arms approach rather than a pure skirm war so 15% attack is better from my point of view. If I am ever in need of more upgrades, I would rather send AA since I would be already well into the late game and I can spare the resources. I am talking about really late game, after all the good cards have been used.
France Kaiserklein
Pro Player
GameRanger ID: 5529322

Post by Kaiserklein »

Yeah but you should send it, that's my point. I have it in almost every deck and end up sending it maybe 10% of my games.
LoOk_tOm wrote:I have something in particular against Kaisar (GERMANY NOOB mercenary LAMME FOREVER) And the other people (noobs) like suck kaiser ... just this ..
United States of America Squamiger
Howdah
ESO: Squamiger

Post by Squamiger »

i feel like the cdb HP boost is pretty relevant. if the game goes long enough that you're going to be sending this card, then you're probably in mid-late fortress and you're running out of hunts and mines so you end up pulling your cdbs into fights a lot, or sending them across the map, and this card just makes them way beefier
Argentina Jotunir
Howdah

Post by Jotunir »

Squamiger wrote:i feel like the cdb HP boost is pretty relevant. if the game goes long enough that you're going to be sending this card, then you're probably in mid-late fortress and you're running out of hunts and mines so you end up pulling your cdbs into fights a lot, or sending them across the map, and this card just makes them way beefier
I don't know about you, but I would rather send 1000 :coin:
Cdb are hardy villagers but they are no replacement for your army. They are already beefier than average villagers so it's not something really useful. It's nice to have it though, I give you that.
Canada dansil92
Retired Contributor
ESO: dansil92

Post by dansil92 »

if we're actually talking super late game, then extra nat hp can be relevant too, skirms tanking an extra one to two shots from other skirms or an extra skirm or 2 surviving a falc volley are all super relevant. its never a bad card
France Le Hussard sur le toit
Howdah
ESO: LeHussardsurletoit

Post by Le Hussard sur le toit »

It's the kind of card you will not send every game but that can become super useful in any scrappy game with a lot of vills fights.
ESOC : came for the game, stayed for the drama.