Can we still create new strategies?

Spain NekoBerk
Lancer
ESO: Nirket

Can we still create new strategies?

Post by NekoBerk »

I had this big question along all this time, because the game has even more than 10 years since it was released, and i don't know if all the strategys were created yet, or we can still innovating with new strategys for this crazy game :D.

What do you think?
"That's why we sing for these kids who don't have a thing
Except for a dream and a fuckin' rap magazine " - Eminem

"And we hate po-po
Wanna kill us dead in the street fo sho' " - Kendrick Lamar
France Aykin Haraka
Howdah
EWT
ESO: aykin

Re: Can we still creating new strategys?

Post by Aykin Haraka »

I created my own strategy hard rush with india but only me know it and how to do it, but it is not good aswell, you just have no eco but nice army fast.
Spain NekoBerk
Lancer
ESO: Nirket

Post by NekoBerk »

Aykin Haraka wrote:I created my own strategy hard rush with india but only me know it and how to do it, but it is not good aswell, you just have no eco but nice army fast.

Well, i just played a tournament against a british guy who does 3 manor houses in first age, and he age up with 18 vills, then in transition he does the market and its improvements and he just cut down trees till he get 400w, then when he arrives to colonial age with the politic that gives you 500F (in a really good time, even faster than me), he does double barrack and he send 700G
for make a really strong spam of musks in his two barracks, it's really OP, but you don't make eco, because you sacrifice all in that rush, but your spam it's really constant and really hard to stop.
"That's why we sing for these kids who don't have a thing
Except for a dream and a fuckin' rap magazine " - Eminem

"And we hate po-po
Wanna kill us dead in the street fo sho' " - Kendrick Lamar
United States of America giveuanxiety
Advanced Player
Donator 02
ESO: GiveUAnxiety

Post by giveuanxiety »

standard play is better than random strategies that arent well tested and efficient. However the recent tournaments show that there are indeed strategies that haven't been found yet at the most competitive level of play. This is mainly due to the very large number of different civ MU's there are and the large number of maps which require different play per map. Examples from the last tours were boneng vs garja china mirror where boneng did a crazy disciple rush and won, and acergamer vs h20 where acer did a faster age 3 and got petards from consule asap to kill h20 wonder.
Lasol wrote: :hmm: just Saw a YouTube video with giveyouanexiaty. He Said check youre stove, if you Want to improve youre aoe3 skills.

WHAT does check your stove means? And how do you do it?
France Kaiserklein
Pro Player
GameRanger ID: 5529322

Post by Kaiserklein »

NekoBerk wrote:
Aykin Haraka wrote:I created my own strategy hard rush with india but only me know it and how to do it, but it is not good aswell, you just have no eco but nice army fast.

Well, i just played a tournament against a british guy who does 3 manor houses in first age, and he age up with 18 vills, then in transition he does the market and its improvements and he just cut down trees till he get 400w, then when he arrives to colonial age with the politic that gives you 500F (in a really good time, even faster than me), he does double barrack and he send 700G
for make a really strong spam of musks in his two barracks, it's really OP, but you don't make eco, because you sacrifice all in that rush, but your spam it's really constant and really hard to stop.

I think this is actually the aklak rush, not a new strat.

There are still new strats to be invented though. Or rather : I think almost everything has been done, but a lot has been forgotten/wasn't used perfectly so we can still refine builds. For example, im pretty sure a lot of people already made mercs strats in the pest, but I tried to get a neat build to do it. I've also seen a lot of spain atp on nilla some time ago, but the way H2O plays it is probs better. Also having a fan patch helps a lot, because new balance means new strats : for example silk road as otto is something that really wasn't viable before, but is probs viable in some cases now on EP.
LoOk_tOm wrote:I have something in particular against Kaisar (GERMANY NOOB mercenary LAMME FOREVER) And the other people (noobs) like suck kaiser ... just this ..
China fei123456
Jaeger
ESO: fei123456

Post by fei123456 »

non-standard bos are still available: your opponent doesnt scout well, map issue (big treasures), etc.
also, the fan patch will lead to a lot of different and interesting new build orders.
sadly few play ep
United States of America Papist
Retired Contributor
Donator 03
ESO: Papist

Post by Papist »

The player base tends to be very rigid, and attached to traditional "meta" builds, making it difficult for anything new to catch on. There are exceptions to the rule of course, but for the most part people are using the same builds they have been using for years. This is something that a small number of players like Aizamk exploit. Because your opponent will be playing standard and expecting you to do the same, you know exactly what he will doing when. With this in mind, you can come up with a new build that both counters what he will be doing and catches him completely off guard. In other words, the player base's blind adherence to old strats leaves a window for new (albeit usually gimmicky or situational) ones.
The function of man is to live, not to exist.
United States of America rickytickitembo
Dragoon
ESO: RickyTickiTembo

Post by rickytickitembo »

Papist wrote:The player base tends to be very rigid, and attached to traditional "meta" builds, making it difficult for anything new to catch on. There are exceptions to the rule of course, but for the most part people are using the same builds they have been using for years. This is something that a small number of players like Aizamk exploit. Because your opponent will be playing standard and expecting you to do the same, you know exactly what he will doing when. With this in mind, you can come up with a new build that both counters what he will be doing and catches him completely off guard. In other words, the player base's blind adherence to old strats leaves a window for new (albeit usually gimmicky or situational) ones.

Also, Aiz will do similar build as Original Poster mentioned but instead he gets two stables and with 700 gold and get about 10 cav out on the first batch which is pretty tough to beat.

I think every strat has been tried to some extent up to this point but viable options seem to spring up every once in a while that aren't considered standard.
My favorite donut is chocolate Aiz.
India Ashvin
Retired Contributor
ESO: Octanium

Post by Ashvin »

giveuanxiety wrote:standard play is better than random strategies that arent well tested and efficient. However the recent tournaments show that there are indeed strategies that haven't been found yet at the most competitive level of play. This is mainly due to the very large number of different civ MU's there are and the large number of maps which require different play per map. Examples from the last tours were boneng vs garja china mirror where boneng did a crazy disciple rush and won, and acergamer vs h20 where acer did a faster age 3 and got petards from consule asap to kill h20 wonder.

link to disciple rush game?

EDIT: np i got that https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VH4x9nxyFHw
United States of America giveuanxiety
Advanced Player
Donator 02
ESO: GiveUAnxiety

Post by giveuanxiety »

Lasol wrote: :hmm: just Saw a YouTube video with giveyouanexiaty. He Said check youre stove, if you Want to improve youre aoe3 skills.

WHAT does check your stove means? And how do you do it?
India Ashvin
Retired Contributor
ESO: Octanium

Post by Ashvin »

giveuanxiety wrote:https://www.youtube.com/watch?time_continue=408&v=VH4x9nxyFHw
Game 1

thanx :)
France [Armag] diarouga
Ninja
NWC LAN Gold
ESO: diarouga

Post by [Armag] diarouga »

Yeah, you can really create new builds.
Tbh this year, we've seen like 5 new builds (I mean viable builds).
No Flag Jaeger
Jaeger

Post by Jaeger »

Yeah this game is way way way more complicated than chess. I think if 2 computers played this game, it would look a LOT different. Some unviable strats would become viable and some viable would become unviable just due to 100% perfect micro.
last time i cryed was because i stood on Lego
Canada Mitoe
Advanced Theory Craftsman
ESO: Mitoe
GameRanger ID: 346407

Post by Mitoe »

[Armag] diarouga wrote:Yeah, you can really create new builds.

Pretty sure there's been more than that :P

Anyway, there are tons of ways to play each civ, and there are surely lots of different ways that aren't exactly "viable" yet. They probably aren't always drastically different from the norm, but subtle changes to certain builds can still make a big difference to their success.
Germany yemshi
Jaeger
ESO: yemshi

Post by yemshi »

Yes ;)
Netherlands momuuu
Ninja
ESO: Jerom_

Post by momuuu »

I used to think everyone had been thought of already. The more I got to read and speak with h2o, garja and diarouga the more I decided that they are rather unflexible and that there must be off meta strats that are great.

Yes, its probably been done before so its not really new but I consider all non meta strats kinda new. Theres lots of room to experiment amd find new variations.
Wales CelticCrusader
Dragoon
ESO: CelticCrusader

Post by CelticCrusader »

I think the lower the level your at the more strategies that are viable online. For example I won a game recently by trolling them doing a 5/10 Russian rush, he obviously didn't expect it so lost, but a higher level player probably would of scouted it and prepared for it.
New Zealand zoom
Gendarme
ESO: Funnu

Post by zoom »

No, you cannot – thus sayeth Lord Mankl the Mad!
Italy arcangelusregis
Skirmisher

Post by arcangelusregis »

NekoBerk wrote:

Yesterday u were facing a brit mirror.. since u used virginia company u should have relied more on defensive boom and shipments that came from manor's booming imo.. he went double raxs and simply outmassed u.. i think u should have scouted and microed better to adapt the meta ..with germans u should have splitted the musks since u were losing all ur vills from a two sided raid..
One day i'll be Colonel, you will play with me, and you'll lose
France Rikikipu
Retired Contributor
ESO: p-of

Post by Rikikipu »

Usually, people just don't want to create new strats in this game because they prefer to stay standard which are oftenly really good BOs because in this way they can win and gain power which is the main goal for them to play this game.
France [Armag] diarouga
Ninja
NWC LAN Gold
ESO: diarouga

Post by [Armag] diarouga »

Mitoe wrote:
[Armag] diarouga wrote:Yeah, you can really create new builds.

Pretty sure there's been more than that :P

Anyway, there are tons of ways to play each civ, and there are surely lots of different ways that aren't exactly "viable" yet. They probably aren't always drastically different from the norm, but subtle changes to certain builds can still make a big difference to their success.

Not really, some builds are fun or work only one time, they don't become standard.
@Jerom It's not a matter of being unflexible but I can tell that some builds are bad without testing.
The bos you suggested recently are just old bos with a different card order.
In some situations, it's easy to see which one is better.
Germany Akechi_Mitsuhide
Dragoon
ESO: Akechi_Mitsuhide

Post by Akechi_Mitsuhide »

Interesting discussion guys and I quite like the grammar of the heading! Can we still invent new forms of grammar?
Poland pecelot
Retired Contributor
Donator 03
ESO: Pezet

Post by pecelot »

It's rude to make fun of non-native speakers!
Germany yemshi
Jaeger
ESO: yemshi

Post by yemshi »

Yeah, I demand permanent bans for that.