Thoroughbreds in 1v1?

United States of America evilcheadar
Gendarme

Re: Thoroughbreads in 1v1?

Post by evilcheadar »

Jerom wrote:Except that you're never making 100% cuirs. But yeah, when you're making many of them it is better and it is indeed best to compare it with an eco upgrade.

you can darn well close make 100% cuirs in some situations, unless the opponent has ronins you can micro age 4 gens with full arsenal upgrades and cav combat and hp cards to surround and kill goons. Especially if you have instant access to gendarmes, where if you go to try to seige a stable, 6 strong gendarmes can instantly pop out and decimate the sieging units.
A post not made is a post given away

A slushie a day keeps the refill thread at bay

Jackson Pollock was the best poster to ever to post on these forums
Netherlands momuuu
Ninja
ESO: Jerom_

Post by momuuu »

This is 1v1 sup remember. Going full cuirs doesnt seem smart in a very nonchaotic game.
Switzerland _venox_
Howdah
ESO: _Venox_

Post by _venox_ »

Maybe rush them?
Don't let the things you can't change dictate your life.
Tonga sdsanft
Howdah
ESO: sdsanft

Post by sdsanft »

People overestimate how good cuts are in 1v1 tbh. Everyone knows how good they are in team, FFA, NR, etc. but in 1v1 they usually aren't very common unless you go into very late game (industrial 20+ min) or in certain MUs. In the close to 150 1v1s I've played (honestly not a ton but still my primary civ) I don't think I've ever had a game where I had more cuirs than goons.

Site: Be there or be square
Jakey: I'm square because I'm not around
Poland pecelot
Retired Contributor
Donator 03
ESO: Pezet

Post by pecelot »

In 1v1 you just don't have the eco to waste your cuirs on goons or trade them ineffectively, @evilcheadar , don't you get it already?
@howlingwolfpaw , I know you're a FFA geek, but please refer to the OP or even the topic title (!), which mentions only 1v1 games. And it's not rocket science what you wrote either, it's pretty obvious to anyone who has played this game for a while.
Gendarme

Post by evilcheadar »

pecelot wrote:In 1v1 you just don't have the eco to waste your cuirs on goons or trade them ineffectively, @evilcheadar , don't you get it already?
@howlingwolfpaw , I know you're a FFA geek, but please refer to the OP or even the topic title (!), which mentions only 1v1 games. And it's not rocket science what you wrote either, it's pretty obvious to anyone who has played this game for a while.

You kill goons not waste them

Germany japanesegeneral
Lancer
ESO: JapaneseGeneral

Post by japanesegeneral »

Depends on whether the goon player makes walls or not...
6 petards a day keep the doctor away.
Poland pecelot
Retired Contributor
Donator 03

Post by pecelot »

And depends on whther he is actually worth more than PR10 to be able to kite them.
No Flag howlingwolfpaw
Jaeger

Post by howlingwolfpaw »

pecelot wrote:In 1v1 you just don't have the eco to waste your cuirs on goons or trade them ineffectively, @evilcheadar , don't you get it already?

Please dude. Just please.... I mentioned in 1v1 the pressure would be too great to use it. Also withstanding that it is Frances most OP card. (citing my experience with just how good it is)

If the game goes late that is the card that can save the day, making an army of skirms and gends (which is their best combo, you don't even need goons if you use your gends to block cav from hitting your skirms) being able to keep a mass of skirm alive by continuously stay at pop with gends.

You don't need to go policing my post as to whether or not they are relevant. If they are not no one will reply to them. Trying to do so only derails the discussion to meaningless banter. I will share my opinions as I see a need to.

And yeah FFA is the best, funnest (in my humble opinion), the most dynamic way to play the game. Its good the community has the FFA perspective represented. And its a 1v1 and then a 1v1v1v1 sometimes 2,3v1 gauntlet.
France Rikikipu
Retired Contributor
ESO: p-of

Post by Rikikipu »

It's a good card, and you can full cuirs as french in late game except vs full dopps.
You don't send it a lot because you don't always go age4/age5, but when it's the case, it's really good
Tonga sdsanft
Howdah
ESO: sdsanft

Post by sdsanft »

Unless you specifically plan on having a boomy, late game deck, don't use this card in 1v1. That's all.

Site: Be there or be square
Jakey: I'm square because I'm not around
France Rikikipu
Retired Contributor
ESO: p-of

Post by Rikikipu »

sdsanft wrote:Unless you specifically plan on having a boomy, late game deck, don't use this card in 1v1. That's all.

Well that's a personal point of view, but i don't like a lot decks that aren't polyvalent. I personally prefer to have a balance deck (at least in land), meaning that having some options for late game (5 cards/25), which allows you to face any situation. Losing because I miss some cards makes me very upset.
United States of America saveyourskill
Skirmisher

Post by saveyourskill »

Rikikipu wrote:
sdsanft wrote:Unless you specifically plan on having a boomy, late game deck, don't use this card in 1v1. That's all.

Well that's a personal point of view, but i don't like a lot decks that aren't polyvalent. I personally prefer to have a balance deck (at least in land), meaning that having some options for late game (5 cards/25), which allows you to face any situation. Losing because I miss some cards makes me very upset.

Ye. This is why I have tons of decks. It can be hard sometimes to find the right one tho. Some of my decks are just 1 card different. like on re patch I would have spice trade as Russia but on esoc maps I put 7 cows in. 7 cows good for low hunt maps as well on re.
Got Badger Milk?
Switzerland _venox_
Howdah
ESO: _Venox_

Post by _venox_ »

When do you send the 7 cows? Do you build a livestock pen too?
Don't let the things you can't change dictate your life.
Brazil macacoalbino
Howdah
ESO: MacacoAlbino
Clan: 3Huss

Post by macacoalbino »

If you play againstsomeone with kynesie style, you may have a bank,then cheadar is right, insta cuir all around the map can win you the game. If you play stardard meta opponents, then jerom is right, no bank, you're never in a good position to send this card really.
The card is highly situational and is worth a spot in a deck to counter specific strategies, as Umeu said.

United States of America saveyourskill
Skirmisher

Post by saveyourskill »

_venox_ wrote:When do you send the 7 cows? Do you build a livestock pen too?

Mostly when hunts run out or about to (or if you don't have the map) and yes I do make a pen or it just takes too long. With Russia you should have the wood to spare and I even make sheep sometimes as well. Aiz can confirm this.
Got Badger Milk?
Brazil erico
Musketeer
ESO: HOLME

Post by erico »

macacoalbino wrote:If you play againstsomeone with kynesie style, you may have a bank,then cheadar is right, insta cuir all around the map can win you the game. If you play stardard meta opponents, then jerom is right, no bank, you're never in a good position to send this card really.
The card is highly situational and is worth a spot in a deck to counter specific strategies, as Umeu said.

HI
Poland pecelot
Retired Contributor
Donator 03

Post by pecelot »

howlingwolfpaw wrote:

Please dude. Just please.... I mentioned in 1v1 the pressure would be too great to use it. Also withstanding that it is Frances most OP card. (citing my experience with just how good it is)

If the game goes late that is the card that can save the day, making an army of skirms and gends (which is their best combo, you don't even need goons if you use your gends to block cav from hitting your skirms) being able to keep a mass of skirm alive by continuously stay at pop with gends.

You don't need to go policing my post as to whether or not they are relevant. If they are not no one will reply to them. Trying to do so only derails the discussion to meaningless banter. I will share my opinions as I see a need to.

And yeah FFA is the best, funnest (in my humble opinion), the most dynamic way to play the game. Its good the community has the FFA perspective represented. And its a 1v1 and then a 1v1v1v1 sometimes 2,3v1 gauntlet.

lol, what's wrong then with sharing my opinion as well that your voice is useless here? I don't care that much that you spam other threads about 1v1s with your precious FFA experience, just here I wrote strictly which game mode I was referring to. FFA is a completely different thread since you mainly rely on spamming Gendarmes when playing as France, and everyone knows that. It's actually rude you consider me so unfamiliarised with the game mechanics that you decided to write about this, as if I was some sort of a newbie. And it's not that it's a pro tip what you wrote, you basically shouldn't waste your cuirs on goons even if you win the fight, just because you can drown out of resources more quickly.

On topic, though, I think some of you are indeed right, I should reserve a spot for this particular card next to other valuable eco cards in a deck more focused on later stages of the game (for the likes of Texas for instance). It may not be that good economically in comparison, but it's still a nice addition and a discount on cost, which is always nice.
Gendarme

Post by evilcheadar »

macacoalbino wrote:If you play againstsomeone with kynesie style, you may have a bank,then cheadar is right, insta cuir all around the map can win you the game. If you play stardard meta opponents, then jerom is right, no bank, you're never in a good position to send this card really.

yes it's a strong card that can put the odds in your favor once you reach age 4 engagements

Gendarme

Post by evilcheadar »

pecelot wrote:
howlingwolfpaw wrote:
Show hidden quotes

lol, what's wrong then with sharing my opinion as well that your voice is useless here? I don't care that much that you spam other threads about 1v1s with your precious FFA experience, just here I wrote strictly which game mode I was referring to. FFA is a completely different thread since you mainly rely on spamming Gendarmes when playing as France, and everyone knows that. It's actually rude you consider me so unfamiliarised with the game mechanics that you decided to write about this, as if I was some sort of a newbie. And it's not that it's a pro tip what you wrote, you basically shouldn't waste your cuirs on goons even if you win the fight, just because you can drown out of resources more quickly.

On topic, though, I think some of you are indeed right, I should reserve a spot for this particular card next to other valuable eco cards in a deck more focused on later stages of the game (for the likes of Texas for instance). It may not be that good economically in comparison, but it's still a nice addition and a discount on cost, which is always nice.

the point is it's so much easier to catch goons when the gendarme are instant, you can intercept them so much easier if you have many stable, and if he has goon mass thats not a lot of siege unless he's packing mortors. A lot of goons will die if they try to seige a stable and gendarmes pop out in their face

Poland pecelot
Retired Contributor
Donator 03

Post by pecelot »

Well, you don't have to go pure goons, you can add siege potential to your composition in many different ways. With a little bit of anticipation you can catch goons with cuirs withouth Thoroughbreads. Moreover, 1v1 games rarely go to the stage in which single stables become an issue and you actually need a lot of siege potential to blast through opponent's walls, which is why I made this thread, partly.
No Flag howlingwolfpaw
Jaeger

Post by howlingwolfpaw »

pecelot wrote:
howlingwolfpaw wrote:
Show hidden quotes

lol, what's wrong then with sharing my opinion as well that your voice is useless here? I don't care that much that you spam other threads about 1v1s with your precious FFA experience, just here I wrote strictly which game mode I was referring to. FFA is a completely different thread since you mainly rely on spamming Gendarmes when playing as France, and everyone knows that. It's actually rude you consider me so unfamiliarized with the game mechanics that you decided to write about this, as if I was some sort of a newbie. And it's not that it's a pro tip what you wrote, you basically shouldn't waste your cuirs on goons even if you win the fight, just because you can drown out of resources more quickly.

You think there is nothing wrong with sharing your opinions but it is wrong for me to? I will always advocate FFA when I post to delineate the difference so people know. I know you have a in depth knowledge of the game, I was actually hoping you would post on my china card thread because I thought you might have more insight how it could be used. But do not think I also am a noob. I did not intend to be rude, but in thinking that you became overtly rude to me calling me a "FFA geek" and saying "my voice is useless". Sorry I find that very hypocritical, along with the part that you get off topic on a thread of mind in the strategy section.

And spamming gends is the weak/ lazy way to play France. But even then its pretty hard to handle sometimes but I know you already know that. You may know a guy named JAB. all he does is spam gends he doesn't care what units you use because he uses them as little siege blocks and just spams them all over them map, taking on multiple opponents this way. Its that strong. Some of the post were saying France doesn't need the card because they will be making too many goons. But late game why even make them when its the skirm/gend combo that makes them rip just about every army type apart.

Is telling people that this card is unnecessary a pro tip? Get rid of one of the best late game card?s there is little in this thread I consider pro tip.

Peace dude.
Poland pecelot
Retired Contributor
Donator 03

Post by pecelot »

Well, maybe because it's about 1v1s, where 1 in 100 games actually goes to Imperial Age, that's why it's pretty irrelevant. I have no problem with you posting off topic in fact in other threads, but you said it first I should not spam. „FFA geek" is not an offensive term as you do everything to be seen as someone like this. It's also a fact that your voice about other game modes is totally unnecessary in this thread, simply because I did not ask about those, as the answer is pretty straightforward. Oh, and don't worry, I have Jab pested. It's actually interesting he's ranked up to captain, using 100% French.
No Flag howlingwolfpaw
Jaeger

Post by howlingwolfpaw »

I am on topic. I mentioned how in 1v1 there may be too much pressure to use this card. But when 1v1 games go short there end up being many unused cards. So having a great late game card like 10% cheaper gends is going to be lesser on the priority list but can find its niche. I don't see why you are so hung up on me being a FFA player. (even though we have played in FFA before) There are more similarities to FFA and a 1v1 than there are to team games or TR. The difference is that if you manage to survive the game will go late into imperial and then you can fight another opponent after your first victory and 1v1 there is more incentive for early raiding. (which still happens all the time in FFA)

Look how you took my innocent FFA remarks and totally derailed your own thread. What was unnecessary was your attempt to call me out. Then you hypocritically defend yourself for doing the same thing to my thread about a Chinese card but going way off topic asking about some other guys opinions on TR superiority. If my remarks were not needed then they would have been ignored. But others then agreed and compared the card to being better than some eco upgrades so they did have relevancy.
For me the term "geek" can be both a compliment or derogatory depending how it is used. In your sense it did not seem friendly so please try to be more considerate and empathetic to how you convey your words.
Poland pecelot
Retired Contributor
Donator 03

Post by pecelot »

I'm referring to your general posting output, as you usually ignore the thread's author's intentions and talk about FFA, which is a hybrid between rush-style games and NR. There Thoroughbreads card is a no-brainer, whereas I doubt whether it's actually viable in 1v1s, where games barely reach late stages, in which spamming Gendarmes is actually a thing.