Most important things to tie to a keyboard/mouse shortcut?

United States of America site
Lancer
Donator 01
ESO: site

Most important things to tie to a keyboard/mouse shortcut?

Post by site »

What would you say the top 5 most important functions to tie to a shortcut are, and what keys do you personally use for those functions?
Netherlands momuuu
Ninja
ESO: Jerom_

Re: Most important things to tie to a keyboard/mouse shortcut?

Post by momuuu »

control groups, find idle villager, attack move, select all of same unit type. Cant think of anything else worthy to complete that list.
Italy Garja
Retired Contributor
Donator 02
ESO: Garja

Post by Garja »

Everything but wonder abilities.
Image Image Image
No Flag ssaraf
Dragoon
ESO: robinhood_xing

Post by ssaraf »

best things to map to a key: TC , make villagers key , barracks/stable etc , units (skirm , cav etc) , then control groups

I use veni's hotkey , they make sense to me ... Refer to this video for explanation :
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rlVRe74Xrik (he explains his hotkeys setup in the starting 10 minutes).

TBH , if u wanna learn more stuff about this game , u can/should watch the last 2-3 videos of that veni playlist. He has explained a lot of things in those 2-3 instructional videos. :)
India Ashvin
Retired Contributor
ESO: Octanium

Post by Ashvin »

Jerom wrote:control groups, find idle villager, attack move, select all of same unit type. Cant think of anything else worthy to complete that list.

Is attack move important? I think manually micro is more efficient.
Netherlands momuuu
Ninja

Post by momuuu »

Attack move is so important, jsut to start the fight of idc. You cant play aoe properly without it.
France Kaiserklein
Pro Player
GameRanger ID: 5529322

Post by Kaiserklein »

Need keys for tc + prod vils, like t + v, attack move, find idle vil. Then I guess a key to build houses is one of the most important ones too since you usually build much of them, especially as japan or brits obviously.
LoOk_tOm wrote:I have something in particular against Kaisar (GERMANY NOOB mercenary LAMME FOREVER) And the other people (noobs) like suck kaiser ... just this ..
No Flag deleted_user
Ninja

Post by deleted_user »

1) tc + vill
2) ungarisson
3) find idle vill
4) build house
5) attack move

Honorable mentions:

a) market, purely so you can do shift/ctrl + <hotkey> to quickly trade res to complete crucial batches or to call mm

b) explorer crack shot. My mouse speed is super slow, this helps kiting treasures so much.
France Kaiserklein
Pro Player

Post by Kaiserklein »

Yeah true forgot about ungarrisonning, it's really helpful. I don't think explo crackshot is really useful though, only as india or jap with 2 explos I think it's nice
LoOk_tOm wrote:I have something in particular against Kaisar (GERMANY NOOB mercenary LAMME FOREVER) And the other people (noobs) like suck kaiser ... just this ..
Brazil macacoalbino
Howdah
ESO: MacacoAlbino
Clan: 3Huss

Post by macacoalbino »

Kaiserklein wrote:Yeah true forgot about ungarrisonning, it's really helpful. I don't think explo crackshot is really useful though, only as india or jap with 2 explos I think it's nice

True, but there is no reason not to bind a key to crackshot... even if you don't end up using it, there's no drawback :P

Tuvalu gibson
Ninja
ECL Reigning Champs

Post by gibson »

Jerom wrote:Attack move is so important, jsut to start the fight of idc. You cant play aoe properly without it.
Are you saying I dont play properly?
United States of America Ikilled4penguins
Skirmisher
ESO: Ikill4penguins

Post by Ikilled4penguins »

Flare hotkey. That is a game saver. Nothing grabs the attention of your teammate being raided like spamming flare 50 times in a row
France Kaiserklein
Pro Player

Post by Kaiserklein »

macacoalbino wrote:
Kaiserklein wrote:Yeah true forgot about ungarrisonning, it's really helpful. I don't think explo crackshot is really useful though, only as india or jap with 2 explos I think it's nice

True, but there is no reason not to bind a key to crackshot... even if you don't end up using it, there's no drawback :P

Yeah but I just meant it's not part of the 5 most useful keys
France Kaiserklein
Pro Player

Post by Kaiserklein »

Also ofc attack move is super important, you can't kite properly with skirms vs an infantry mass without a move, and most importantly you can't use your cav properly because they will path like shit if you don't attack move
Poland pecelot
Retired Contributor
Donator 03
ESO: Pezet

Post by pecelot »

Kaiserklein wrote:I don't think explo crackshot is really useful though, only as india or jap with 2 explos I think it's nice

I thought pretty much the same until I played a couple of games on nilla... :shock:
gibson wrote:
Jerom wrote:Attack move is so important, jsut to start the fight of idc. You cant play aoe properly without it.
Are you saying I dont play properly?

yesh
Ikilled4penguins wrote:Flare hotkey.

Can you show me where I can find it? I can't figure out myself... :hmm: :hmm: :hmm: :hmm:
France Kaiserklein
Pro Player

Post by Kaiserklein »

I've never been using crackshot hotkeys and I can micro treasures just fine. Just as japan sometimes I feel a bit slow since I have 2 explos and no hotkey.

I actually think it's good not to use too many unimportant hotkeys like that, it forces you to be faster with your mouse which is good for your mechanics
Netherlands momuuu
Ninja

Post by momuuu »

Its better to just play aimbooster and use hotkeys in important games tbh.
United States of America Ikilled4penguins
Skirmisher
ESO: Ikill4penguins

Post by Ikilled4penguins »

Ikilled4penguins wrote:Flare hotkey.

Can you show me where I can find it? I can't figure out myself... :hmm: :hmm: :hmm: :hmm:

http://imgur.com/a/fRraP
Brazil macacoalbino
Howdah
ESO: MacacoAlbino
Clan: 3Huss

Post by macacoalbino »

Agreed, not n the 5 most important things @Kaiserklein ^^

Kaiserklein wrote:I've never been using crackshot hotkeys and I can micro treasures just fine. Just as japan sometimes I feel a bit slow since I have 2 explos and no hotkey.

I actually think it's good not to use too many unimportant hotkeys like that, it forces you to be faster with your mouse which is good for your mechanics

It makes sense... Maybe it's worth it for training sessions, or random games overall. But I guess when you play for real, any apm saver you can get is useful.

France Kaiserklein
Pro Player

Post by Kaiserklein »

Idk, with my main civs (euro civs) I really don't need a hotkey, so even in tourney I wouldn't have a hotkey for this. But a guy playing india or japan in tourney would definitely be better with those hotkeys
Netherlands momuuu
Ninja

Post by momuuu »

Im pretty content with my list still as the top 4 most important hotkeys. Maybe the 5th one would be hotkeys you use to produce units?
Lancer
Donator 01

Post by site »

Right now mine are:

Produce vils
Attack move
Select all of unit type
Idle Vils
Control groups
Netherlands momuuu
Ninja

Post by momuuu »

Select all of unit type is the hidden gem of hotkeys. It gives you the power to add reinforcements to your control groups and send them to the battle without having to move your screen away from the battle. If you dont get idle vills then you actually dont have to ever move the screen away from a battle.
Lancer
Donator 01

Post by site »

Jerom wrote:... If you dont get idle vills then you actually dont have to ever move the screen away from a battle.

I've gotten a lot better at managing my vills. For the most part I won't idle unless a herd runs out or they finish what I've queued them to.

I've been asking myself why I lost a game or won a game and try to eliminate the bad and replicate the good. An ongoing issue I have is with my vill distribution. I'll often end up with a surplus of food or gold that I have little I can do with at the time. Also, I seem to forget to train reinforcements as often as I should. I'll steamroll a town for instance and it'll die down before I actually make more units again.
Poland pecelot
Retired Contributor
Donator 03
ESO: Pezet

Post by pecelot »

Jerom wrote:Select all of unit type is the hidden gem of hotkeys. It gives you the power to add reinforcements to your control groups and send them to the battle without having to move your screen away from the battle. If you dont get idle vills then you actually dont have to ever move the screen away from a battle.

I totally agree, once I discovered it I instantly picked it up and have been using that ever since to such extent that playing nilla is a nightmare for me because this particular hotkey is missing there :!: