300w vs refugees

Tonga sdsanft
Howdah
ESO: sdsanft

300w vs refugees

Post by sdsanft »

I'm new to playing China, just wondering what the arguments are between northern refugees and 300w as first card in colo. 300w allows you to get 2 tps + a village (with no chopping time) and send northern refugees later on in fortress/colonial for a 5-6 vill shipment. Refugees let's you get 3 vills in discovery, assuming you macro properly with a little bit of chopping time depending on the treasures you receive. Which is better? I feel if you are going colonial then 300w might be better but if you going ff then refugees is probably better.

Site: Be there or be square
Jakey: I'm square because I'm not around
Canada Mitoe
Advanced Theory Craftsman
ESO: Mitoe
GameRanger ID: 346407

Re: 300w vs refugees

Post by Mitoe »

On paper 300w seems fine, but in practice Northern Refugees has always seemed to be the better option for me. Everything just feels very slow without those extra early vills, even if you do have shipments to compensate.
Tuvalu gibson
Ninja
ECL Reigning Champs

Post by gibson »

what you can do is go early tp, 300w first and then northern refugees. Chop an 200w total wood instead of 100 and get an extra village and have a 4 vil shipment in age 1. The starting macro is insanely hard though. Without getting any small wood or food treasures its very hard to not idle tc due to not having enough food or being popped. Also its slow. With 8 vils on the wonder you age at like 530.
Tonga sdsanft
Howdah
ESO: sdsanft

Post by sdsanft »

gibson wrote:what you can do is go early tp, 300w first and then northern refugees. Chop an 200w total wood instead of 100 and get an extra village and have a 4 vil shipment in age 1. The starting macro is insanely hard though. Without getting any small wood or food treasures its very hard to not idle tc due to not having enough food or being popped. Also its slow. With 8 vils on the wonder you age at like 530.

This sounds like a fun troll strat start but when would this ever actually be viable?

Site: Be there or be square
Jakey: I'm square because I'm not around
France iNcog
Ninja

Post by iNcog »

Don't send refugees if you're playing a European civ. o_o
YouTube: https://www.youtube.com/incog_aoe
Garja wrote:
20 Mar 2020, 21:46
I just hope DE is not going to implement all of the EP changes. Right now it is a big clusterfuck.
Canada forgrin
Howdah
ESO: Forgrin

Post by forgrin »

sdsanft wrote:
gibson wrote:what you can do is go early tp, 300w first and then northern refugees. Chop an 200w total wood instead of 100 and get an extra village and have a 4 vil shipment in age 1. The starting macro is insanely hard though. Without getting any small wood or food treasures its very hard to not idle tc due to not having enough food or being popped. Also its slow. With 8 vils on the wonder you age at like 530.

This sounds like a fun troll strat start but when would this ever actually be viable?

If it's a slow MU then it could be better. You get a starting TP, so it's not really a wasted shipment, and an extra vill, and all it costs is a mildly later colonial shipment (which is just gonna be coin anyways).
https://www.twitch.tv/forgin14

"WTF WHERE ARE MY 10 FALCS" - AraGun_OP
Germany yemshi
Jaeger
ESO: yemshi

Post by yemshi »

You desperatately need those 3 vills for the age up.
Serbia sirmusket
Jaeger
ESO: ModernDayWarri0r

Post by sirmusket »

eh, sounds good but in reality you just age so slow, even with good macro you still hit up, at like you said, 5:30 at best
Great Britain SirSouthwest
Crossbow
ESO: KingRossXIV

Post by SirSouthwest »

Remember that to age up you will need vils on a wonder. Say you use 3 to build it and you didn't use the refugees card you would have little gathering potential.
No Flag deleted_user0
Ninja

Post by deleted_user0 »

ye 300w sux. making a tp however is really great.
Brazil lemmings121
Jaeger
ESO: lemmings121

Post by lemmings121 »

What about building only one house + tp on the start, and getting the refugees for 2 vills?

You still need to build that house latter for pop, and 1 vill less is bad.... But on the other side a tp right on the start of everygame is great.
No Flag deleted_user0
Ninja

Post by deleted_user0 »

yup thats what i do, its the best imo. You can send 600w later if u want to be greedy or send the colo shipments faster in a row. It allows u to send 700w + 8 bow vs a rush too, which is just superior than having no tp, where you have to chose between 700w and 8bow. In some cases you can also opt for 300xport and get the 6 musk out. It's not great, but vs cav musk compositions its better than the pike.
Netherlands Goodspeed
Retired Contributor

Post by Goodspeed »

I've played around with 300w but the slower age up really hurts. You are getting all those TPs for faster shipments but this is not as good if you age at 5:10+.
Agree with umeu about the TP + village start, it's the only one I use
New Zealand zoom
Gendarme
ESO: Funnu

Post by zoom »

Land. Grab.
Poland pecelot
Retired Contributor
Donator 03
ESO: Pezet