Raiding in tough circumstances

Poland pecelot
Retired Contributor
Donator 03
ESO: Pezet

Raiding in tough circumstances

Post by pecelot »

Is raiding vills with you hand cavalry viable when it's likely to fail? By that I mean vs blockhouses, zamburaks or in age 3, when goons are usually on the field. I usually cease it as it's highly risky to get caught and not be that much effective, but it may still be an effective way of disrupting enemy economy and buying some time when necessary. What do you think? Would you still raid in such situations? :smile:
No Flag Jaeger
Jaeger

Re: Raiding in tough circumstances

Post by Jaeger »

Remember that in this time that youre buting you must gather more resources than you lost. So if youre losing 3 cav to buy 15 seconds im not sure its worth it.
last time i cryed was because i stood on Lego
No Flag tedere12
Jaeger

Post by tedere12 »

raid whenever it is possible
Russia yurashic
Howdah
ESO: Yurashic

Post by yurashic »

Raiding when you enemy is in his base is bad.
No Flag kami_ryu
Retired Contributor

Post by kami_ryu »

Interesting topic, I've been wondering about it myself. Perhaps not quite along the same lines as Pezet, but along the lines of "are my hussars dying to TC fire worth the idle villager time?" or "is trading a hussar or two vs a vill good?"
Netherlands Mr_Bramboy
Retired Contributor
Donator 01
ESO: [VOC] Bram

Post by Mr_Bramboy »

When you're raiding essentially all you're doing is trading some resources in the hopes of forcing your opponent to spend resources, mostly by killing villagers. In the ideal situation you force your opponent to spend resources (lose villagers) and don't spend any resources yourself by not losing units. When you're losing more resources than you're gaining, you shouldn't raid. Exceptions are when your opponent isn't playing well, for example when he pulls back the entire army to deal with raids, allowing you to buy time and get more units out, or when you need to buy time to get to a crucial shipment or strong units (think of a cuirassier pop).
Netherlands momuuu
Ninja
ESO: Jerom_

Post by momuuu »

kami_ryu wrote:Interesting topic, I've been wondering about it myself. Perhaps not quite along the same lines as Pezet, but along the lines of "are my hussars dying to TC fire worth the idle villager time?" or "is trading a hussar or two vs a vill good?"

Well I think the guy that has the bigger army at 12 minutes or something is the one that wins, so trading military for vills at that point might be tricky.

I'm a shitty raider myself, I cant really pay attention to the cav running around and I never manage to find villagers, so I definitely dont raid when goons are out as I'll just lose my shit for free.
Poland pecelot
Retired Contributor
Donator 03
ESO: Pezet

Post by pecelot »

There's also this thing with additional line of sight, especially when playing against civs like Brits who have manor spread out on the map, you can get spotted very soon, not manage to kill vills in time and get caught by goons. But I guess sometimes it's still viable, just depends on the situation.
Brazil lemmings121
Jaeger
ESO: lemmings121

Post by lemmings121 »

In the line of bad reactions, some people might pull his 15 goons to deal with a 5uhlan raid and get seriously out of position.
United States of America __Uhlan__
Dragoon
ESO: __UhLaN__

Post by __Uhlan__ »

yea i think it depends on who your playing, ive seen high level players being lazy and using 30 goons to chase 3 hus my self included, and then its just so valuable, that you can not put a resource cost on it. Generally tho raiding with 2 hus is such a small lose at the part of the game your talking about, so id say generally it is worth it.
Australia Hazza54321
Pro Player
Winter Champion 2020 x2Donator 01
ESO: PrinceofBabu

Post by Hazza54321 »

1v1 players dont know how to deal with raids so go for it
Brazil macacoalbino
Howdah
ESO: MacacoAlbino
Clan: 3Huss

Post by macacoalbino »

in these situations you can keep 2-3 cav close to their base in a hidden spot, once you engage his army you just walk the cav in their hunts/mines and hope they dont notice it for long enough

No Flag kami_ryu
Retired Contributor

Post by kami_ryu »

Hazza54321 wrote:1v1 players dont know how to deal with raids so go for it

So what you and Uhlan stipulating is to send just 1-2 hussar, no more, to raid the other guy? The other guy overreacts to it (sending too many units to deal with it) and you take advantage of that.

I like the idea. Will try to do this more myself.
Netherlands momuuu
Ninja

Post by momuuu »

I hope people dont start doing this too much Im completely incapable of dealing with it.
Dragoon

Post by __Uhlan__ »

kami_ryu wrote:
Hazza54321 wrote:1v1 players dont know how to deal with raids so go for it

So what you and Uhlan stipulating is to send just 1-2 hussar, no more, to raid the other guy? The other guy overreacts to it (sending too many units to deal with it) and you take advantage of that.

I like the idea. Will try to do this more myself.

That's the idea, & killing a few vills is a bonus. & your risk is very small it's 2 hus only, which is useless in fortress anyways most of the time.
Netherlands momuuu
Ninja

Post by momuuu »

On the other hand in 1v1s games are often decided if someone wins the one big battle so in that sense raiding with a few units is risky because you might just lose them and you dont have them in the fight.
Dragoon

Post by __Uhlan__ »

Jerom wrote:On the other hand in 1v1s games are often decided if someone wins the one big battle so in that sense raiding with a few units is risky because you might just lose them and you dont have them in the fight.

well you can feel this in the game, like if you know your going to be fighting over a mine or a hunt soon, probably best to save every unit you can get, but if it's a stalemate & you end up killing 2 vills & idling 10, you actually gather enough to make up for those hus & be 2 vills up.
Netherlands momuuu
Ninja

Post by momuuu »

In theory it honestly just sounds better than in practise I think.
Dragoon

Post by __Uhlan__ »

Jerom wrote:In theory it honestly just sounds better than in practise I think.

hm I guess if you run your hus right into goons, I'm more of a team player & raiding is much better then so I might be a bit biased.
Finland princeofkabul
Pro Player
NWC LAN Top 8EPL Reigning Champs
ESO: Princeofkabul

Post by princeofkabul »

you should raid while fighting main battles, the most effective way really.
Chairman of Washed Up clan
Leader of the Shady Swedes
Team Manager of the Blockhouse Boomers
No Flag deleted_user0
Ninja

Post by deleted_user0 »

princeofkabul wrote:you should raiding while fighting main battles, the most effective way really.

+1

especially this is how opris should be used. if you start running with opris without any other pressure they'll just get killed.
Portugal Kazamkikaz
Dragoon
ESO: Kazamkikaz

Post by Kazamkikaz »

pecelot wrote:Is raiding vills with you hand cavalry viable when it's likely to fail? By that I mean vs blockhouses, zamburaks or in age 3, when goons are usually on the field. I usually cease it as it's highly risky to get caught and not be that much effective, but it may still be an effective way of disrupting enemy economy and buying some time when necessary. What do you think? Would you still raid in such situations? :smile:

I'll make that question in another way, why raid in 6min of the game and kill some 1 to 4 vills when u can catch more than 10 vill in age3 when enemy is with main army in your base or middle of the map and villagers is colleting in next 3 or 4 mine, hunt without tower or army protection ? i just dont understand this, start raid alot with 2 free uhlan and lose all uhlan by musk, cav or tc fire and when enemy is with dragoons/whatever anticav walking map, players who use german stop raiding
Attection veteran uhlan + 15% damage & attack can kill 1 unupgraded hp villager by 4 swordfish and 5 with great coat market up, in colonial age u need 6 swordfish or 7 with great coat up using uhlan ofc :o :hmm:
My Youtube channel

"If you can't win the fight
don't take the fight"-Aizamk 2016
No Flag sdrawkcab_delleps
Crossbow

Post by sdrawkcab_delleps »

__Uhlan__ wrote:
Jerom wrote:In theory it honestly just sounds better than in practise I think.

I'm more of a team player.

Yes, you are a team player :hmm:
No Flag tedere12
Jaeger

Post by tedere12 »

I'm more of a cheater*