Official Best Movies Thread

This is for discussions about news, politics, sports, other games, culture, philosophy etc.
No Flag Huys
Crossbow

Re: Official Best Movies Thread

Post by Huys »

"Hong Kong Express" by Wong Kar-wai
Anything by M. Antonioni, like "Eclisse", "Deserto Rosso", "Blow-Up"...
Godard?
Anderson's "There Will Be Blood"
"Bianca" by N. Moretti
D. Lynch, beginning with "Twin Peaks" (even if it is a serie)
Eric Rohmer
The "Three colors trilogy" by K. Kieślowski
I like some films by X. Dolan too: "Les amours imaginaires", "Laurence Anyways", "Mommy", "Juste la fin du monde"
Fellini's "Amarcord", "La dolce vita", "Otto e mezzo"
"Pane e tulipani" by S. Soldini
J. C. Lynch, "Lucky"
"A comédia de Deus" by J. C. Monteiro
Hitchcock
Kubrick's "Barry lyndon"
M. Haneke, for example "Funny games" (there are two versions), "Amour"...
Di jiu tian chang, "So long, my son"
Bong Joon-ho, "Parasite"
K. Loach, "Ladybird Ladybird"
United States of America 007Salt
Dragoon

Post by 007Salt »

No Flag fightinfrenchman
Ninja
Donator 04

Post by fightinfrenchman »

Cinema is a truly incredible artform
Attachments
Capture.PNG
Dromedary Scone Mix is not Alone Mix
United States of America 007Salt
Dragoon

Post by 007Salt »

No Flag fightinfrenchman
Ninja
Donator 04

This isn't really a "best" movie but I highly recommend people watch it because of how crazy it is. It's a movie about sexual harassment, that also features virtual reality, but it's from 1994.

Disclosure
Canada Warno
Dragoon
Donator 08
ESO: Warno

Post by Warno »

Has anyone seen Tenet?
I watched it tonight and it put my brain in a pretzel, it was very well done.
No Flag fightinfrenchman
Ninja
Donator 04

Warno wrote:Has anyone seen Tenet?
I watched it tonight and it put my brain in a pretzel, it was very well done.
No I'm afraid of virus
Nauru Dolan
Ninja

Post by Dolan »

fightinfrenchman wrote:No I'm afraid of virus
Just get a hazmat suit already and go watch movies in a hazmat suit.
You could also get an oxygen tank with you so that you have enough oxygen to watch the entire movie. Then go back to the mother-ship when it's over.
No Flag Good ol Ivan
Howdah
ESO: ivanelterrible

Post by Good ol Ivan »

Goodspeed wrote:I think my problem with movies is explained by my taste in TV shows. I tend to be a big fan of character-based shows. Building characters is time consuming. Movies don't have time.

Finding movies that "move me deeply in one way or another" (Ebert's words) is rare for me. I'm a fan of Tarantino's stuff maybe because to me he uses the medium how it should be used: For short, "action"-packed stories with a focus on clever writing and humor over building believable and relatable characters. Because why waste time on that when the whole thing ends after 2 hours? Which is not to say that there aren't good "serious" movies, maybe my point is rather that if you're looking for something serious why would you limit yourself to something so short? It's no surprise therefore that LOTR and the Godfather (yeah, yeah I know I'm not supposed to mention these), which are both closer to a 1-season show than a movie, are also favorites of mine.

Writers and producers are also figuring out that cinema may not be the medium to tell a serious story with real characters, which explains the general decline in movie quality. Because what's the height of cinema in 2019? The fucking Irishman? The gazillionth generic mob story? Fuck outta here. Or is the height of modern cinema the Marvel franchise? Yeah, sounds about right.

That said, I'll put "Synecdoche, New York" on my watch list and highly recommend "2001: A space odyssey" since you apparently haven't seen that.
Tbh Lotr has poor characters. It's not a bad film, but I do think it could use some drama. I would say it's a good film for children because of the fantasy settings.
What's wrong with the Irishman?
I think it's a good film that didn't receive that much attention. I believe it'd have worked better as a series because of the movie's length, but it's good nevertheless.

Anyway, probably no one is going to bother reading this, least watching it, but I just watched "betty blue" (37°2 Le Matin) - 1986 with my gf, and holy shit it's 10/10. If you like movies with characters, you will love this one.
Yeah it's girly and all, but the characters, the plot, the music, the scenes, the direction, everything is fucking beautiful and very well made.
It's a romantic film, so yeah it is a film you'd rather watch with your girl. Tbh girls will certainly appreciate this one more than men. So yeah if you do have a gf and watch this with her, bitch will cry, but she will love it. You will love it as well.
I don't think anyone could really legitimately dislike this film. And if you do find a reason to dislike it, then your opinion is worthless. Sure it's a bit slow and very focused on the characters, but it's still absolutely fucking amazing.

It's not my favorite film. I think I really don't have one, but I still wanted to mention this pretty obscure movie that def. deserves more attention.
Denmark voigt1240
Lancer
ESO: voigt

Post by voigt1240 »

I think they wrote Boromir very well in lotr, but i agree with you in regard to the other characters.
No Flag Good ol Ivan
Howdah

Post by Good ol Ivan »

voigt1240 wrote:I think they wrote Boromir very well in lotr, but i agree with you in regard to the other characters.
Every character in lotr is shallow and has zero to no development, including Boromir. The bloody ring has more personality than half of the characters. I don't think lotr is bad, but its rather overrated. Certainly a very good movie for male kids and early teens.
Netherlands Goodspeed
Retired Contributor

Post by Goodspeed »

Good ol Ivan wrote:Tbh Lotr has poor characters. It's not a bad film, but I do think it could use some drama. I would say it's a good film for children because of the fantasy settings.
Yeah fantasy epics tend not to focus on characters as much. That is often my gripe with stuff in that genre. But I guess to me a story like LOTR doesn't need as much character development because you can't help but get emotionally attached to them anyway.
Generic. I felt like I had seen it before.
No Flag fightinfrenchman
Ninja
Donator 04

The Irishman was good imo but one of the most memorable scenes was when De Niro was kicking that guy on the ground, and it was so obvious he was a frail old man. The deaging effects were generally pretty good but that stuck out like a sore thumb
Armenia Sargsyan
Jaeger
Donator 01
ESO: lamergamer
Clan: c0ns

Post by Sargsyan »

irishman was good, the scene where the mob guy arrives later to the meeting and al pacino loses his shit was pure gold
krichk wrote:For some reason, you want the world to know that you're brave enough to challenge Challenger_Marco
No Flag fightinfrenchman
Ninja
Donator 04

It is a legitimately good movie but there's something kind of sad to think about how much effort was used to de-age people instead of just using younger actors.
No Flag fightinfrenchman
Ninja
Donator 04

"Budget $159–250 million"

Isle of Man UpMySleeves
Dragoon
GameRanger ID: 7309280

Post by UpMySleeves »

Haha, that "fight scene" looks so bad, I actually couldn't finish the movie, it kept pulling me out of it. Plus it's 3+ hours and it was honestly not that interesting to me.
Never trust a man in a blue trench coat, never drive a car when you're dead
Denmark voigt1240
Lancer
ESO: voigt

Post by voigt1240 »

I'm more hyped for The many Saints of Newark than i was the Irishman
No Flag Good ol Ivan
Howdah

Post by Good ol Ivan »

Goodspeed wrote:
Good ol Ivan wrote:Tbh Lotr has poor characters. It's not a bad film, but I do think it could use some drama. I would say it's a good film for children because of the fantasy settings.
Yeah fantasy epics tend not to focus on characters as much. That is often my gripe with stuff in that genre. But I guess to me a story like LOTR doesn't need as much character development because you can't help but get emotionally attached to them anyway.
But the Irishman is actually based off a true story (one that was published just a few years ago, because the assasination of Hoffa afaik was pretty damn big and important, it was a very touchy topic all the way up to 9/11, just go ask any American boomer).
And I love the godfather, but the Irishman gets some extra points just because it actually is based on real life events and tries to be pretty accurate about them , while also sticking to the book (which is supposed to be Frank's story on how it was supposedly him who killed Hoffa, because he is too old to care and no one of his past friends is alive anymore), so no way it's _just a generic mob story_

Okay that one fight wasn't good, but the rest of the movie was really well made.
No Flag fightinfrenchman
Ninja
Donator 04

Good ol Ivan wrote: Afaik this one is actually based off a true story
Lmao when I first read this I thought you were referring to Lord of the Rings
No Flag Good ol Ivan
Howdah

Post by Good ol Ivan »

UpMySleeves wrote:Haha, that "fight scene" looks so bad, I actually couldn't finish the movie, it kept pulling me out of it. Plus it's 3+ hours and it was honestly not that interesting to me.
The movie always kept me entertained, I didn't even feel the time pass as I watched it.
But I can agree it could have worked much better as a 5-10 episode mini-series, instead of a movie.
Korea South Vinyanyérë
Retired Contributor
Donator 06
ESO: duolckrad, Kuvira
Clan: 팀 하우스

Post by Vinyanyérë »

fightinfrenchman wrote:
Everything in Lord of the Rings actually happened (approximately)
duck
:mds:
imo
No Flag fightinfrenchman
Ninja
Donator 04

Vinyanyérë wrote:
fightinfrenchman wrote:
Everything in Lord of the Rings actually happened (approximately)
This is possible, I've never actually seen any of them
Netherlands Goodspeed
Retired Contributor

Post by Goodspeed »

Good ol Ivan wrote:
Goodspeed wrote:
But the Irishman is actually based off a true story (one that was published just a few years ago, because the assasination of Hoffa afaik was pretty damn big and important, it was a very touchy topic all the way up to 9/11, just go ask any American boomer).
And I love the godfather, but the Irishman gets some extra points just because it actually is based on real life events and tries to be pretty accurate about them , while also sticking to the book (which is supposed to be Frank's story on how it was supposedly him who killed Hoffa, because he is too old to care and no one of his past friends is alive anymore), so no way it's _just a generic mob story_

Okay that one fight wasn't good, but the rest of the movie was really well made.
I'm not saying it's not good. I've just seen it before. Based on a true story or no, the mob genre is almost as overrepresented as the superhero genre. And if that's the height of cinema these days I'll stick with TV.
No Flag Good ol Ivan
Howdah

Post by Good ol Ivan »

@Goodspeed But the Irishman literally was on t.v.
It was a netflix movie and it premiered on Netflix.
The mob genre is very common, yes, but the Irishman is not a generic movie.
Actually it's not even that common, it WAS common in the 80s (partially thanks to the godfather), but I haven't seen many "mob films" made in the last 3 decades. It's not really overrepresented.