ESOC Memes

This is for discussions about the community, players, forum games, grudge matches, memes and everything else related to ESOC and its members.
Great Britain chris1089
Retired Contributor
ESO: chris1089

Re: ESOC Memes

Post by chris1089 »

occamslightsaber wrote:Reminds me of a Chinese allegory/idiom (五十步百步) about two soldiers who ran from the battefield. One fled 50 ft, the other 100 ft. The deserter that “only” fled 50 ft hypocritically denounced the one who fled further as a coward. The moral of the story is that they are essentially the same. I guess it’s the other way around with the British and the French though.

Also MAS rifles are actually really great.
In world war 2, I think there was more reluctance to fight on the French side due to the huge cost in human life that the French had experienced in the First world war a couple decades earlier.
United States of America occamslightsaber
Retired Contributor
ESO: L1BERTYPR1ME

Post by occamslightsaber »

iNcog wrote:and?
It’s technically us Americans who made it up but the British are using it instead here to make fun of the French? Kind of defeats the purpose of the meme if I have to explain it.
The scientific term for China creating free units is Mitoe-sis.

I intend all my puns.
France iNcog
Ninja

Post by iNcog »

-- deleted post --

Reason: on request (off-topic bulk delete)
YouTube: https://www.youtube.com/incog_aoe
Garja wrote:
20 Mar 2020, 21:46
I just hope DE is not going to implement all of the EP changes. Right now it is a big clusterfuck.
France iNcog
Ninja

Post by iNcog »

-- deleted post --

Garja wrote:
I just hope DE is not going to implement all of the EP changes. Right now it is a big clusterfuck.
France iNcog
Ninja

Post by iNcog »

-- deleted post --

Garja wrote:
United States of America vardar
Lancer
ESO: VardarB98/DemonDeacs

Post by vardar »

They have a series of Das Boot I’m pretty sure. Watched a couple episodes on Hulu a while back.

Agreed not many good war movies. What are your thoughts on the movie Fury? @iNcog
c0ns!
France iNcog
Ninja

Post by iNcog »

-- deleted post --

Garja wrote:
Retired Contributor

chris1089 wrote:
occamslightsaber wrote:Reminds me of a Chinese allegory/idiom (五十步百步) about two soldiers who ran from the battefield. One fled 50 ft, the other 100 ft. The deserter that “only” fled 50 ft hypocritically denounced the one who fled further as a coward. The moral of the story is that they are essentially the same. I guess it’s the other way around with the British and the French though.

Also MAS rifles are actually really great.
In world war 2, I think there was more reluctance to fight on the French side due to the huge cost in human life that the French had experienced in the First world war a couple decades earlier.
May be, but I don’t think that really contributed to their defeat. The French did fight bravely in spite of the surrender jokes and suffered some 300,000 casualties (minus captured) as a result. If the Germans didn’t have a superior strategy that ended the war quickly, they would have likely fought on as they did in World War I.

I intend all my puns.
United States of America vardar
Lancer
ESO: VardarB98/DemonDeacs

Post by vardar »

iNcog wrote:oh they made a series on it? it's on hulu? fuck I might watch that

I haven't seen Fury. I guess I'll keep my comments to myself until I see it? Worth a watch in your opinion?
If I’m not mistaken. It was pretty good. Never finished it, but not because it wasn’t good lol I just got very busy

I thought it was pretty good, an American perspective. I really like Brad Pitt movies overall although the end seems to be a bit unrealistic. Maybe it happened, idk. But no spoilers
c0ns!
France iNcog
Ninja

Post by iNcog »

-- deleted post --

Garja wrote:
No Flag fightinfrenchman
Ninja
Donator 04

Post by fightinfrenchman »

Lotta fun ESOC memes up in here
Dromedary Scone Mix is not Alone Mix
France iNcog
Ninja

Post by iNcog »

-- deleted post --

Garja wrote:
Great Britain chris1089
Retired Contributor
ESO: chris1089

Post by chris1089 »

I don't actually think Versailles caused the Second World War as such, in that if appeasement had not been followed during the occupation of the Rhineland or Anschluss the Germans would have been forced to surrender. The meme isn't a great joke, but it's not historically accurate at all.

On war movies, I watched Das Boot, his darkest hour and 1917 recently. I found the first two really good as I felt I could understand a bit of what it was like to be the Captain or Churchill. I'm not so sure about 1917.
Kiribati princeofcarthage
Retired Contributor

Post by princeofcarthage »

Germany would have probably won the war had they bombed the british army at dunkirk or just not declared war on Russia though, if anything Hitler deciding to (backstab?) Russia was the war losing move.
Fine line to something great is a strange change.
Great Britain Riotcoke
Retired Contributor
ECL Reigning ChampsDonator 01
ESO: Riotcoke
Clan: UwU

Post by Riotcoke »

ESOC MEMES

twitch.tv/stangoesdeepTV
France [Armag] diarouga
Ninja
NWC LAN Gold
ESO: diarouga

Post by [Armag] diarouga »

princeofcarthage wrote:Germany would have probably won the war had they bombed the british army at dunkirk or just not declared war on Russia though, if anything Hitler deciding to (backstab?) Russia was the war losing move.
Declaring war on Russia was the losing move ye. Without that, they would have held the Brit/US front.
I don't think that bombing the british army at Dunkirk would have changed the war however.
Retired Contributor

[Armag] diarouga wrote:
princeofcarthage wrote:Germany would have probably won the war had they bombed the british army at dunkirk or just not declared war on Russia though, if anything Hitler deciding to (backstab?) Russia was the war losing move.
Declaring war on Russia was the losing move ye. Without that, they would have held the Brit/US front.
I don't think that bombing the british army at Dunkirk would have changed the war however.
British evacuated 340k soldiers, Germany had the chance to bomb every last one of them. That would have put british army and invasion back by years.
France [Armag] diarouga
Ninja
NWC LAN Gold
ESO: diarouga

Post by [Armag] diarouga »

princeofcarthage wrote:
[Armag] diarouga wrote:
British evacuated 340k soldiers, Germany had the chance to bomb every last one of them. That would have put british army and invasion back by years.
Ye, but they still would have lost to Russia. 300k is huge but the soviets had millions of men.
Retired Contributor

[Armag] diarouga wrote:
princeofcarthage wrote:
Show hidden quotes
Ye, but they still would have lost to Russia. 300k is huge but the soviets had millions of men.
Fair
France Kaiserklein
Pro Player
GameRanger ID: 5529322

Post by Kaiserklein »

I watched fury, iirc it was pretty much the average crap movie. Dunkirk felt more interesting as it seemed to be very accurate (at least in my poor opinion, not gonna pretend I know much at all on this matter).

Idk why people in this thread take jokes about french people surrendering seriously. Anyone who knows a bit about history knows that's complete bullshit, including WW2. But answering to it seriously just makes us look like fools more than anything else

Also yeah let's please have fun memes in this thread instead of that shite
LoOk_tOm wrote:I have something in particular against Kaisar (GERMANY NOOB mercenary LAMME FOREVER) And the other people (noobs) like suck kaiser ... just this ..
Retired Contributor

iNcog wrote:
occamslightsaber wrote:
Show hidden quotes
May be, but I don’t think that really contributed to their defeat. The French did fight bravely in spite of the surrender jokes and suffered some 300,000 casualties (minus captured) as a result. If the Germans didn’t have a superior strategy that ended the war quickly, they would have likely fought on as they did in World War I.
Well Germany had blitzkrieg tactics and went through Belgium and Netherlands instead of the Maginot line. Their equipment was better, they had more of it, they had better tactics and they had set up logistics really well behind it all. It's not a surprise that Germany conquered all that it did in the time span that it did. Fuck, even Russia would have been on the chopping block if not for Russia's brutal winters, the stalemate of Stalingrad and Russia's superior industrial capacity compared to Germany. There was no way in hell that France would be able to withstand the German assault unless they had prepared as much as Germany did. Which they did not. Partially because of WW1 flashbacks.

But hey, you pull Versailles out of your ass, get ready for what's coming to you. Wonder where the world would be at if we had a WW2 reconciliation after WW1 instead of WW2. EU would be number 1 probably.
I'm pretty sure France had more and heavier armored/gunned tanks and initially mobilized more troops than Germany. After all, the Germans had been prevented from building tanks under the Treaty of Versailles, so their production resumed much later. The Maginot Line was intended to protect the French industrial base in Alsace-Lorraine since it would be important for a war of attrition that the French anticipated against Germany which had a larger industrial capacity overall. Germany's wartime economy didn't fully kick in until much later in World War 2 though because Hitler feared an internal uprising if there was too much rationing/pressure on the domestic economy.

The Germans did have a better combat doctrine though like you said and that made a lot of difference. I don't remember exactly but there is a famous quote by a French commander that went something like "we had 100 tanks spread throughout 10 divisions, the Germans had 100 tanks concentrated in 1 division." Essentially, the French were still using their tanks like mobile artillery to support infantry like in WW1, while the Germans revolutionized armored warfare by separating tanks from infantry and using them as a highly mobile shock force to punch through enemy lines while infantry followed them in from behind. However, I've read that German armored columns were really vulnerable to bombing runs when they advanced through the Ardennes forest due to traffic jams and the limited number of routes, which was a missed opportunity for the French to blunt the German attack. I think France had a much better chance than you think to be honest, if it weren't for Germany's better strategy and tactics.

I intend all my puns.
France Kaiserklein
Pro Player
GameRanger ID: 5529322

Post by Kaiserklein »

French generals just thought we could win the war like WW1. Sit in trenches (or here, behind the Maginot line) and eventually win (like the Verdun battle). Meanwhile Germans learned from their mistakes and figured they could just outmaneuver.
I think it pretty much just comes down to that. Not like anything else mattered in the span of only 5 weeks of war. France was also just too confident, being considered one of the best armies in the world back then

Maybe mods can move this to another thread
LoOk_tOm wrote:I have something in particular against Kaisar (GERMANY NOOB mercenary LAMME FOREVER) And the other people (noobs) like suck kaiser ... just this ..
Sweden Victor_swe
Lancer
Donator 01

Post by Victor_swe »

Dead hunts cant walk....

BrookG - "There is a G in everyone"
Germany aligator92
Howdah
ESO: aligator92

Post by aligator92 »

trying to save this thread
KaiserCarthage.png
Great Britain Riotcoke
Retired Contributor
ECL Reigning ChampsDonator 01
ESO: Riotcoke
Clan: UwU

Post by Riotcoke »

I wasnt joking about French people surrendering btw, the Persepolis guy is french

twitch.tv/stangoesdeepTV