What era for AOE IV?

This is for discussions about the community, players, forum games, grudge matches, memes and everything else related to ESOC and its members.

What era for AOE IV?

Poll ended at 29 Apr 2018, 06:15

Victorian era/New imperialism era (19th and early 20th centuries)
62%
World War 1
16%
World War 2
1%
Both World Wars
21%

Total votes: 73

Turkey HUMMAN
Lancer
ESO: HUMMAN

Re: What era for AOE IV?

Post by HUMMAN »

It is old.
Great Britain CripSAV
Crossbow
ESO: RevolutionX

Post by CripSAV »

There's nothing to speculate.

It will be modern, most likely 20th century otherwise it goes completely against the principle of the name "Age" of Empires, it also says in the trailer, a new Age...

Combining the 3 is not going to happen. I can't say I'm too excited that Relic will be developing the game though.
"Mosks + kavs"
"Skins + gons"
- Kickass, ladies and gentlemen.
Nauru Dolan
Ninja

Post by Dolan »

I'm ready for an Age of Empires with modern units, especially if it's a fast-paced game, where you need to micro individual units fast.

A MadMax style "Age of Empires: The Aftermath" set in a post-apocalyptic savage setting would be cool too.

Bavaria Gichtenlord
Howdah
Donator 03

Post by Gichtenlord »

Dolan wrote:A MadMax style Age of Empires: The Aftermath set in a post-apocalyptic savage setting would be cool too.

That would actually work really well for the aoe design pattern
r]
No Flag Djigit
Howdah

Post by Djigit »

Dolan wrote:I'm ready for an Age of Empires with modern units, especially if it's a fast-paced game, where you need to micro individual units fast.

A MadMax style "Age of Empires: The Aftermath" set in a post-apocalyptic savage setting would be cool too.
This or Age of Primal Empires with saber-toothed tigers, rude monkeymen with clubs and an anachronic addition of mercenary dinosaurs you can hire with coin raise.
Greece BrookG
Retired Contributor
ESO: BrookG

Post by BrookG »

At the dawn of the 20th century, the concept of "empire" was deflated. Countries started to form and different kinds of wars were active. If they avoid the era after aoe3, maybe they'll expand the idea of colonialism of the world, e.g Africa, Pacific ocean. Colonial wars for independence similarly to Wars of Liberty
Correlation doesn't mean causation.
http://www.tylervigen.com/spurious-correlations

"mr.brookg go buy jeans and goto the club with somppuli" - Princeofkabul, July 2018
No Flag Kommander
Musketeer

Re: Poll: Which setting you want for AoE 4?

Post by Kommander »

I think around most of us want to have a taste of the last empires. The fall of France, Britain, and other colonial powers.

The loss of their Asian, American, and African territory would make for interesting campaigns and interesting maps. Although they might include in just DLC, which would be a real bummer.

Now, I would be satisfied if they had World War I or World War II but they absolutely need to include the US civil war and other minor USA wars. Spain in Mexico and the Philippines, for example.

So, in conclusion, I believe that AOEIV should end where AOEIII started and then, through the industrial revolution, begin to enter the World Wars Eras, Rise of Communism, and then the Cold War.

All in all, I think this is where Age of Empires should die. No modern era. No futurism. Keep the servers alive, maybe some customization in DLC, and add some updates every now 'n then.

Age of Empires 4 should be a very great game to please the Age of Empires 2 fans who were disappointed with the 3rd installment and for the sake of finishing the series with quality and a smile, like all of its predecessors.

I'm more interested in the remakes, and Age of Empires 4's timeline could never compare to AoEII's Medieval or AoE3's Colonial. The modern world is just boring.
Canada forgrin
Howdah
ESO: Forgrin

Re: Poll: Which setting you want for AoE 4?

Post by forgrin »

Kommander wrote:Now, I would be satisfied if they had World War I or World War II but they absolutely need to include the US civil war and other minor USA wars. Spain in Mexico and the Philippines, for example.

Absolutely not. The 'MURICA focus is what took the aoe3 campaign off the rails in the first place (see act 3 lol).
https://www.twitch.tv/forgin14

"WTF WHERE ARE MY 10 FALCS" - AraGun_OP
Poland pecelot
Retired Contributor
Donator 03
ESO: Pezet

Post by pecelot »

Is it? I think the campaigns were absolutely fabulous, and I'm not the only one of such an opinion!
Germany lordraphael
Pro Player
EWTNWC LAN SilverAdvanced Division WinnerDonator 01

Post by lordraphael »

pecelot wrote:Is it? I think the campaigns were absolutely fabulous, and I'm not the only one of such an opinion!

i guess youre trolling they were absolute garbage. Historical campaigns would have been much better but i guess then they would have had to tell their american customers about genocide on native americans which might have hurt their sells in the USA, so better do a garbage fictional campaign.
breeze wrote: they cant even guess how much f***ing piece of stupid retarded they look they are trying to give lesson to people who are over pr35 and know the best mu. im pretty sure that we need a page that only pr30+ post and then we could have a nice discussins.
Germany Lukas_L99
Pro Player
Donator 01
ESO: Lukas_L99

Post by Lukas_L99 »

Am I the only one who didn't play the campaigns?
Poland pecelot
Retired Contributor
Donator 03

Post by pecelot »

lordraphael wrote:
pecelot wrote:Is it? I think the campaigns were absolutely fabulous, and I'm not the only one of such an opinion!

i guess youre trolling they were absolute garbage. Historical campaigns would have been much better but i guess then they would have had to tell their american customers about genocide on native americans which might have hurt their sells in the USA, so better do a garbage fictional campaign.

Yes, of course, because I can't have a different opinion. :flowers:
No Flag Djigit
Howdah

Post by Djigit »

pecelot wrote:
lordraphael wrote:

Yes, of course, because I can't have a different opinion. :flowers:
I tried once
Sweden Gendarme
Gendarme
Donator 03
ESO: Gendarme

Post by Gendarme »

The vanilla campaign was great, but I didn't really like the expansion campaigns - they were very underwhelming story-wise.
Pay more attention to detail.
Poland pecelot
Retired Contributor
Donator 03

Post by pecelot »

But at the same time — more historically accurate ;)
Vietnam duckzilla
Jaeger

Post by duckzilla »

lordraphael wrote:

I feel the urge to second this. The historical campaigns of AoE II were just great and immersive. When AoE III came out, I expected something along this line and I was really disappointed when the campaigns were about the Ottomans conquering/fighting in the Americas (?!) and searching for the fountain of youth (????). I nearly dropped the game completely and I can understand people who did.

The expansion campaigns became better. Especially the one about the Sepoy Mutiny 1857 came closer to what I prefer regarding immersion etc.
Whatever is written above: this is no financial advice.

Beati pauperes spiritu.