ESOC, hear my plea.

This is for discussions about the community, players, forum games, grudge matches, memes and everything else related to ESOC and its members.
Sweden Gendarme
Gendarme
Donator 03
ESO: Gendarme

ESOC, hear my plea.

Post by Gendarme »

kami_ryu wrote:I locked it. It was a really easy decision. It was brought up that staff members wanted it closed. The direction of that thread was conflict. So I closed it before we got to that point. Nothing wrong with the thread itself. I could probably have opened that exact same thread and no one would have batted an eye.

What I've come to really dislike is people who look at a thread and say "I don't like this topic/discussion" and then start picking fights so that we have to close it regardless. Then, instead of fingers being pointed at people who are incapable of having a civil discussion about difficult topics, we point fingers at the difficult topics themselves. We can't have grown-up discussions on ESOC because of this, even though the vast majority of us are probably well over the age of 23 with university diplomas under all our belts. No. We have to cater to the capricious 18 year old who will either sexually identify to 5 different genders OR the capricious 19 year old harboring racial grudges because they think that 4chan is edgy and cool. There is no in-between.
Why do you have to close a thread because people pick fights? Shouldn't those users and their specific posts be taken care of instead? What is wrong with frequent short (24h-72h) bans when people misbehave? Why do we rather lock the derailed threads—effectively completely derailing them—instead of deleting the posts that ruined them? There used to be a time where derailed topics were actually rescued through either deletion and/or migration of posts.

@momuuu brought some of these points up recently but this should be discussed in public rather than behind closed doors among people who barely care anymore (or can afford to care). I am sure you yourself are in favor of a freer Community Team that can hand out short suspensions as they see fit without the need for a long process that ultimately discourages any action so that the threads become unsalvageable and have to be locked while the people who derailed them remain unpunished. This community is rapidly reaching the point where it is no longer enjoyable for anyone: the hard-working staff members see their efforts being in vain (as a Community Team member you of all know how easily you get burnt out and lose motivation), the AoE3 fans are fed up with the omnipresent toxicity that has replaced the enthusiasm for the game, and the off-topic section is a wilderness where every other topic is derailed. The only people who thrive here are the shitposters. I know for a fact that I am speaking for both a large portion of the staff members and a large portion of the non-staff members.

On behalf of virtually everyone: let's stop this madness. Locking threads usually achieves nothing but confirm our subjugation to the shitposters who answer for their crimes only once in a blue moon. The governance of this place is a complete failure (and I am referring to much more than the mere locking of threads), and in the light of several recent events this should be obvious to a lot more people than it previously was. Let this thread stay open and this will probably become evident to even the most inactive forum member. If you aren't open for discussion this time around, I don't know when you will ever be, and since I am the one who both cares and stands with nothing to lose I suppose it is on me to take the lead even though it probably isn't ideal; I have waited long enough.

Despite responding to Kami, this thread is not primarily directed towards the staff. I know a large part of the community (i.e. the part who is neither in the staff nor in The Hub) remains out of the loop regarding the shenaniganry that goes on on the forum, and I am happy to dig up old threads and shed light on the matter if needed. This is your opportunity to let your voice be heard; I expect this thread to remain open.
Pay more attention to detail.
India Ashvin
Retired Contributor
ESO: Octanium

Re: ESOC, hear my plea.

Post by Ashvin »

I approve this post.
No Flag bigsmoke
Skirmisher
ESO: Yvan_Le_Bon

Post by bigsmoke »

In another forum, moderators 'clean' up threads and post a warning to the users and why it was cleaned. This continues on-topic discussion and does not spoil the thread as a result of a few troublemakers.
~~ pecelot rip ~~
No Flag kami_ryu
Retired Contributor

Post by kami_ryu »

-- deleted post --

Reason: on request (off-topic bulk delete)
Netherlands Goodspeed
Retired Contributor

Post by Goodspeed »

I generally dislike locking threads and would much rather see offending posts dealt with individually, but sometimes it is the right call (eg when it's obvious that the thread is never going anywhere good). Rarely though, in my xp
Australia Hazza54321
Pro Player
Winter Champion 2020 x2Donator 01
ESO: PrinceofBabu

Post by Hazza54321 »

people complaining about locking shitposts in 2018 EleGiggle
United States of America XeeleeFlower
Retired Contributor
Xeelee Patron

Post by XeeleeFlower »

This has become a rather glaring problem recently. One that doesn't have a "everyone is happy" solution. This, of course, saddens me since I wish that we could all get along and I feel that it should be relatively easy by simply having the most basic respect for our fellow humans.

Last year there was an unofficial poll asking the community how they felt about moderation. The community wished to see less moderation; thus, moderators have been more lenient. An unfortunate side effect is that it has allowed an influx of caustic behavior along with people trying to be edgy and/or actual bigotry disguised in a cloak of humour (I recognize that this is subjective). Some people feel that this is okay and should be allowed. Some people feel that it should only be allowed in the offtopic section. Some people feel that it shouldn't be allowed at all. This makes it difficult to moderate simply because posts will get reported, threads get reported, individuals get reported because of their behavior on other sites, people don't see any moderation taking place in threads that they feel cross a line, others see too much moderation, everyone is frustrated because things aren't how they themselves would like it to be.

I feel that the community goes through this quite frequently. I remember the drama that happened each time the basement was banned. I remember the heavy, and often tense topics that have been discussed over the years. Hell, I even remember the drama that occurred after certain staff members were either removed or left on bad terms. The community was even founded upon drama! Perhaps some of you have forgotten. Perhaps some of you don't even know. It's important to recognize that the community has always had drama. It always will have some sort of drama since we each bring our own unique perspectives and share them with one another. Drama is okay until it reaches a point where it becomes toxic. Recently, some people feel that it has.

It will soon reach a point, I feel, that offtopic will be closed indefinitely if people aren't able to act as mature adults and have an actual discussion instead of trying to get under people's skin and/or be the edgiest edgelord that has ever graced our planet.

Just like Kami/incog, I also appreciate each individual in our community. I have learned and grown a lot simply from reading the varying perspectives. While I may not agree with some things that are said/written, it still helps me in understanding the individual and their world view. It expands my own and either hones my own beliefs and/or alters them.

It's also difficult for me to moderate things because I feel that I understand the intentions of the member since I "know" so many of you. While I am an advocate for less moderation, I am also an advocate for respect. I would venture to say that this is the same feeling that the rest of the community team has, though I don't wish to speak for them. Therefore, when people report things and/or demand for individuals to be banned, individuals to be unbanned, posts removed, posts restored, threads closed, threads reopened, etc, it's difficult to make the "correct" decision. We are a community, after all, so we have to look at what's the best decision for the whole of the community and not just 1 person or a group of people. Perhaps you feel that we are not doing this to your satisfaction. Perhaps we should have a new poll regarding moderation. @Goodspeed

@Gendarme Thank you for this post. I've wanted to write what I've written here for awhile, but just didn't have the proper place to do so.
Time is wise and our wounds seem to heal to the rhythm of aging,
But our past is a ghost fading out that at night it’s still haunting.

http://www.galactanet.com/oneoff/theegg_mod.html
No Flag lejend
Jaeger

Post by lejend »

-
Netherlands momuuu
Ninja
ESO: Jerom_

Post by momuuu »

In my opinion what ESOC has failed to do is aim for some sort of posting culture. You can opt to be a place aimed at organized discussion, or you can try to be a place thats nice for banter, drama, shitposting and stuff like that. You can prefer the jokes over the content, or prefer content over jokes. I feel like ESOC started out as a place for organized discussion, age of empires based content with some nice and popular off topic threads. That's how it started out, right now I would say ESOC is focussed on a community that likes trolly stuff and strolls along using meme-like posts. I would feel like the average active user does not care much for a very structured discussion or for content actually about age of empires.

I'd personally argue this direction is not a good direction to take for the only serious age of empires forum. It doesn't seem to fit well with the original goal of being a site for tournaments. After all, you'd probably want to attract the people interested in age of empires, how the game works and what strategies to use, more so than that you want to attract the off topic people that prefer a troll-ish style of posting as those people would generally be less interested in tournaments.

I miss the beginning stage of ESOC, where the forum was very content oriented. If there is any site that pops up that is more content oriented I would actually not hesitate long to switch. This is mostly relevant for when aoe4 comes, and maybe even aoe3DE, as we're mostly a community site that focusses on off topic things. I think this shift happened when the team failed to draw a line with regards to shitposting. It has gradually become harder and harder to find age of empires related content and I feel like therefor the people that were interested in it stopped bothering to actually read. Meanwhile, people that liked shitposting a lot, and the threads like the basement tends to make stayed. If you take a look at the strategy board and strategy related threads, I think it becomes pretty evident that the people that actually like discussing this game have mostly given up on actually actively reading the boards.

Again, it's just an opinion on what is better. But an argument along the lines of "if you don't like it just don't read it" doesn't really apply here. If it takes time to find interesting threads to read, and if threads that you find interesting always get derailed quickly, then you'll just give up on reading the forums much. Or, vice versa, if you find the trolling stuff funny and like shitposting, but are limited in doing so then you are also more likely to give up on the forum. The only argument I've given is that, as the only age of empires related place that originally is interested in content, with age of empires 3 DE and age of empires 4 in mind, and also considering that there are plenty of other places to shitpost, I think it is much better to actively put emphasis on content.
Norway spanky4ever
Gendarme
iwillspankyou

Post by spanky4ever »

@Gendarme said

AoE3 fans are fed up with the omnipresent toxicity that has replaced the enthusiasm for the game,

Couldnt agree more :!:

and the off-topic section is a wilderness where every other topic is derailed.

Off topic used to be alot of fun. I would say its the main reason for me to visit this forum. If sombody should get the idea of removing it, instead of trying to Fix it, it would really be a sad day. And for me in particular, much less reason to log in to esoc anymore.

The only people who thrive here are the shitposters.

The shit posting epedemic is a real pain. And the flamewars are raging. I have felt backstabbed, flamed, called the worst of names there lately. At some point I got so mad, I myself called a person really bad things (after noumerous attacks from that same person I might add) Im sorry, I guess :unsure: (not my proudest moment :roll: )

I know for a fact that I am speaking for both a large portion of the staff members and a large portion of the non-staff members.

Yeah I think you are speaking for many ppl. At least you are speaking for me.

@XeeleeFlower Said:
It will soon reach a point, I feel, that offtopic will be closed indefinitely if people aren't able to act as mature adults and have an actual discussion instead of trying to get under people's skin and/or be the edgiest edgelord that has ever graced our planet.

The closing of topics have really escalated lately, and the reason for closing a thread are often not obvious, given, or understandable. I wish for mods to have a bit more patience, to see where it leads, instead of fearfully jumping to the conclution that this is going to hell.
Anyways, I do agree with most of what you said, AND if more of us where to behave in a more Xeely kind of way, we should be good
:flowers:
Hippocrits are the worst of animals. I love elifants.
United States of America n0el
ESOC Business Team
ESO: jezabob
Clan: 팀 하우스

Post by n0el »

I think it would help if people actually made a topic with actual discussion points instead of posting a video with no background or description and then having people come into such posts with clear racially motivated intentions which are completely off topic. There was probably a nice discussion to be had about Trudeau's India trip, but instead the way the topic was presented it turned into a classic race bait / non European culture bash.
mad cuz bad
No Flag lejend
Jaeger

Post by lejend »

-
Netherlands dietschlander
Lancer

Post by dietschlander »

Noel wrote: Could be worse. You could be a white supremacist on an internet gaming forum.
#esocmoderation #de-escalation
Theres going to be a dam, the great dam and we'll let the beavers pay for it - Edeholland 2016
Anyway, nuancing isn't your forte, so I'll agree with you like I would with a 8 year old: violence is bad, don't do hard drugs and stay in school Benj98
Tuvalu gibson
Ninja
ECL Reigning Champs

Post by gibson »

lejend wrote:I've started many threads about "intellectual" topics, hoping for a respectful and productive discussion. Very few people participate. But a millionth thread about cheaters gets dozens of participants, despite being against the forum rules.

So at some point, you must admit that people want to shitpost about hackers and pools and drunkenness.
I will say one thing for you, your posts seem less racially motivated, more genuine, and are often times more logical than many of the people on this forum.
No Flag deleted_user0
Ninja

Post by deleted_user0 »

lejend wrote:I've started many threads about "intellectual" topics, hoping for a respectful and productive discussion. Very few people participate. But a millionth thread about cheaters gets dozens of participants, despite being against the forum rules.

So at some point, you must admit that people want to shitpost about hackers and pools and drunkenness.

In order to have a discussion, one must be open to the other argument. Hoping for a productive discussion with you, is like trying to plant crops in the Sahara. A very tiresome and painstaking ordeal, that will ultimately prove a fruitless waste of energy.
Belgium stanleywinston
Dragoon
Beginner Division WinnerDonator 01
ESO: Stanley_Winston

Post by stanleywinston »

ESOC Stanley Winston era, best era, init bruv?
Zimbabwe PeachTree
Skirmisher

Post by PeachTree »

I'm confused, what exactly are you trying to achieve with this.....?
Canada Jam
Jaeger
ESO: Hyperactive Jam

Post by Jam »

PeachTree wrote:I'm confused, what exactly are you trying to achieve with this.....?
Drama
No Flag deleted_user
Ninja

Post by deleted_user »

It's the users. There are less good active users and more bad active users today.

I fucking miss Metis man I really do.

There weren't near as many obvious race bait/sexist threads "back then" as there are now. The forum culture changed. Topics themselves aren't bad but the users who create them, participate in them, it isn't for any constructive or discussion-oriented purpose anymore. It's simply not.

You just can't take anything serious in off topic anymore with the users who float around in it. It's either shrug everything off and shitpost or go mad. In the end I don't want to go mad. Either way, it's an unresolavable issue for moderators. I feel bad for them. I'd probably just quit if I were any of them.
European Union Theodore
Skirmisher

Post by Theodore »

I have to agree somewhat. I came here for the AOE3 (starting visiting the forum from 2016 on). I came here for the useful information, the tournaments, the hype and the love for the game. I have looked at the "active topics" more or less daily and yes, from my experience it shifted from AOE3 content to all the off-topic stuff. Which then got more and more toxic and occupied by few people with a specific agenda. Where have all the strategy discussions gone? I don't know and Mitoes guide is still incomplete ;-)

I don't have an easy solution but given the situation now, I'd rather prefer the off-topic section to be deleted all together. Let's be honest: this is supposed to be an AOE3 forum, not reddit. An occasional off-topic thing might be nice, but right now it feels more like the fox-news commentary section. ESOC is going to lose relevance for AOE3 if the main points of discussion here are the state of Canada as a nation or why some think that women biologically cannot be funny. That's why I say "somewhat" at the start because I think that Gendarme is not completely innocent regarding the shift I described above.
Netherlands dietschlander
Lancer

Post by dietschlander »

umeu wrote:

In order to have a discussion, one must be open to the other argument. Hoping for a productive discussion with you, is like trying to plant crops in the Sahara. A very tiresome and painstaking ordeal, that will ultimately prove a fruitless waste of energy.

I proposed that to my colleague! Why can't we realise that? Didn't the Israeli's/jews did that in Israel?
Dry grounds can be made alive step by step.
Theres going to be a dam, the great dam and we'll let the beavers pay for it - Edeholland 2016
Anyway, nuancing isn't your forte, so I'll agree with you like I would with a 8 year old: violence is bad, don't do hard drugs and stay in school Benj98
No Flag kami_ryu
Retired Contributor

Post by kami_ryu »

-- deleted post --

Reason: on request (off-topic bulk delete)
European Union Theodore
Skirmisher

Post by Theodore »

I didn’t say that there are no strategy discussions anymore but I think the off-topic section has become (too) dominant.
Norway spanky4ever
Gendarme
iwillspankyou

Post by spanky4ever »

Theodore wrote:I didn’t say that there are no strategy discussions anymore but I think the off-topic section has become (too) dominant.

I do not agree with you, - at all. The off topic section is almost gone - almost no threads anymore. And the good discussions are very rare. Just take a peek at "active threads" - right now. This one, is the only one there that is off topic. All the rest are about the game.
I would not call that dominant- At all. On the contrary :!:
Hippocrits are the worst of animals. I love elifants.
Tuvalu gibson
Ninja
ECL Reigning Champs

Post by gibson »

dietschlander wrote:
umeu wrote:

I proposed that to my colleague! Why can't we realise that? Didn't the Israeli's/jews did that in Israel?
Dry grounds can be made alive step by step.
No, only around oasises. Unless you consider something like a cactus to be a crop. The sandy ground and low water doesnt cater to any of your standard crops.