disclosing info about your peers in discord

This is for discussions about the community, players, forum games, grudge matches, memes and everything else related to ESOC and its members.
Norway spanky4ever
Gendarme
iwillspankyou

disclosing info about your peers in discord

Post by spanky4ever »

I recently got to know that a person who I made a donation to on a previous occation, was talking about me in discord on Friday night. There he disclosed that he knew my mail adress (because I leave this trail when donating) and could look me up at facebook. He apparently found a woman there (not me though) and shared this info.
How can it be, that some ppl who stream, think its OK to share personal information about the person who where kind enought to appreciate their effort, with a small donation??
IF I had a facebook page, then I would like to share that info with the ppl I choose to share it with :!: . I will be more careful in the future, to whom I donate to.

Another person disclosed some personal info about me that he received in privat chat. I know who that person is, but will not disclose it here. How can some ppl think its OK to share personal info about another person who gave them this insight in a personal chat?

I know you are both young, but your still young adults :!:

Im on the brink of leaving this community, cos it has become quite toxic, and I rarely enjoy any of the threads anymore. I remember a time when it was more friendly, and above all INTERESTING. I have learned so much from persons in this forum, in the PAST.

Right now I must say I am very disapointed in both of YOU who disclosed this info, and myself for being naiv to trust you with it.

I would like ppl to think about this, and give their thought about it below.

Btw, if ANY of you are interested in my personal stuff, please write me a PM, and I choose to tell you/OR NOT :mad:
Hippocrits are the worst of animals. I love elifants.
Netherlands momuuu
Ninja
ESO: Jerom_

Re: disclosing info about your peers in discord

Post by momuuu »

If you don't want your personal information to be out there then you should put more effort into hiding it. That's how internet works. What you're saying is basically equivalent of walking around the streets and then getting upset that people see what you look like.
Norway spanky4ever
Gendarme
iwillspankyou

Post by spanky4ever »

momuuu wrote:If you don't want your personal information to be out there then you should put more effort into hiding it. That's how internet works. What you're saying is basically equivalent of walking around the streets and then getting upset that people see what you look like.

I told you some stuff about myself, in a private chat! Does privat mean anything to you :?: Back then, when I still thought you where a "friend" in this community.
Germany QueenOfdestiny
Retired Contributor
ESO: QueenOfdestiny

Post by QueenOfdestiny »

Well i have the same problem with these people that they shared pictures of me.
And to the other point, you are quite toxic as well especially when you are drunk. It seems like you dont controll yourself then?
Idk you should repspect other people then other people migth respect you
shit juice :hmm:
Norway spanky4ever
Gendarme
iwillspankyou

Post by spanky4ever »

queenofdestiny wrote:Well i have the same problem with these people that they shared pictures of me.
And to the other point, you are quite toxic as well especially when you are drunk. It seems like you dont controll yourself then?

yeah, I know I can be. Sorry Queen :oops: Guess we have been toxic toward each other. I for one, am sorry about that. But then again, you are not the one who have revealed anything about me, and I respect that.
Tuvalu gibson
Ninja
ECL Reigning Champs

Post by gibson »

@spanky4ever if I were you I would make a separate PayPal with a throwaway email address if you choose to continue to donate to people, that way none of your personal info will be linked to it. Unfortunately people on the internet donā€™t always behave in a mature way especially when it comes to women.
Sweden Gendarme
Gendarme
Donator 03
ESO: Gendarme

Post by Gendarme »

Doxxing has a negative connotation because it is typically used when malicious intent is implied, in which case it is a bad thingā€”not because of "private information", but because of the malicious intent. Finding your Facebook-account and sharing it with no malicious intent does not strike me as wrong at all. Perhaps it is because I perceive the web differently than you do, but Jerom's comparison is quite accurate I think and very similar to when people are against being recorded in public areas. If you're sharing your information with the public by going to town or creating a Facebook-account, you should expect that information to no longer be private.

It is understandable that you did not know that pressing a few keys on your keyboard sitting behind your desk could reveal private information to the world, which is why it is important to always either know what you are doing or expect the worst. If that information was private, you have yourself to blame only. This is all very silly especially considering the fact that the person who did this specifically said that they wouldn't share the Facebook-account even if they found it as a favor to you.
Pay more attention to detail.
Germany QueenOfdestiny
Retired Contributor

Post by QueenOfdestiny »

iwillspankyou wrote:
queenofdestiny wrote:Well i have the same problem with these people that they shared pictures of me.

yeah, I know I can be. Sorry Queen :oops: Guess we have been toxic toward each other. I for one, am sorry about that. But then again, you are not the one who have revealed anything about me, and I respect that.

We had this problem to many times and for me its just over... i just let you as long you let me.. About you pm...
It was to much always when you drunk and no i dont accept this sorry just let me in peace! And i rl dont care IF YOU repect me. Bc i dont care about ur respect!
And just for your interest... The guy who share my pictures.. i said him if he do it again or i see somewhere my pictures what have tzo do with this community i will go to the police.. bc its forbidden in germany and he is also german
India Ashvin
Retired Contributor
ESO: Octanium

Post by Ashvin »

Yeah I think I read the chat, commented on a few of new information I got about you, not sure what made you angry but I think you trusted the wrong person maybe.
I for one only talked about the information you posted here on ESOC, nothing beyond it.
No Flag deleted_user
Ninja

Post by deleted_user »

momuuu wrote:If you don't want your personal information to be out there then you should put more effort into hiding it. That's how internet works. What you're saying is basically equivalent of walking around the streets and then getting upset that people see what you look like.

What a ridiculous analogy.

As if this isn't more of a community than a random street, as if internet anonymity isn't something that is understood to be protected, as if there isn't a rule against involuntary relinquishing of that information in nearly every internet abode, as if she hadn't just donated to him money!

Call this what this is: the streamer's an asshole.

There will always be measures one can take to increase their online anonymity. But to think it'd be needed when donating to an AoE streamer? It's fair to feel betrayed and hurt.
Sweden Gendarme
Gendarme
Donator 03

Post by Gendarme »

@QueenOfdestiny Sharing a picture of someone without their consent is illegal in Germany? Are you sure about this? Sounds very weird to me.
Netherlands momuuu
Ninja
ESO: Jerom_

Post by momuuu »

iwillspankyou wrote:

I told you some stuff about myself, in a private chat! Does privat mean anything to you :?: Back then, when I still thought you where a "friend" in this community.

As far as the friend part goes, you're just a dickhead to me so I don't care about the sentiment at all. I recall you publicly telling stuff about yourself frequently and didn't consider it a secret. I also wouldn't get so upset about all of this stuff, if you really value your anonimity then maybe you shouldn't comment on ESOC facebook messages with your real facebook profile.
Germany QueenOfdestiny
Retired Contributor

Post by QueenOfdestiny »

Gendarme wrote:@QueenOfdestiny Sharing a picture of someone without their consent is illegal in Germany? Are you sure about this? Sounds very weird to me.

yes it is bc you have a right/law on ur personal pictures
Netherlands edeholland
ESOC Community Team
Donator 01
ESO: edeholland
GameRanger ID: 4053888
Clan: ESOC

Post by edeholland »

queenofdestiny wrote:
Gendarme wrote:@QueenOfdestiny Sharing a picture of someone without their consent is illegal in Germany? Are you sure about this? Sounds very weird to me.

Did you put the pictures online in the first place, or did he take them?
Germany QueenOfdestiny
Retired Contributor

Post by QueenOfdestiny »

edeholland wrote:
queenofdestiny wrote:

They from my facebook.
I researched in the www and found a lot about it and its illegal
Tuvalu gibson
Ninja
ECL Reigning Champs

Post by gibson »

it depends if you put pictures of yourself on a public forum( facebook instagram etc) they are basically free game. If someone accesses your private pictures and shows them or takes pictures of you without your consent and shows them, thats illegal, at least in the US.
Netherlands edeholland
ESOC Community Team
Donator 01
ESO: edeholland
GameRanger ID: 4053888
Clan: ESOC

Post by edeholland »

queenofdestiny wrote:
edeholland wrote:
Show hidden quotes

They from my facebook.
I researched in the www and found a lot about it and its illegal

Could you site your source?

As far as I know, if you upload pictures to Facebook it's not illegal for someone to share them. That would also be awkward, since there is a share button on every post. :blush:
Norway spanky4ever
Gendarme
iwillspankyou

Post by spanky4ever »

momuuu wrote:
iwillspankyou wrote:

As far as the friend part goes, you're just a dickhead to me so I don't care about the sentiment at all. I recall you publicly telling stuff about yourself frequently and didn't consider it a secret. I also wouldn't get so upset about all of this stuff, if you really value your anonimity then maybe you shouldn't comment on ESOC facebook messages with your real facebook profile.

I do not own a facebook account though, so you found another woman online. This is one of the reasons I choose not to have any.
The things I have said about myself, I must stand for that, though I do regret it, spesially now.
The things I said to you, in a private chat, was for your ears only. That is the info you displayed on discord. So you tell me who is the dickhead :?:
I remember a time where we where on friendly terms, but after I made a thread about unbanning the basement guys, you have been a pain to me ever after.
No Flag deleted_user0
Ninja

Post by deleted_user0 »

god... so much pettiness. I'm out.
No Flag deleted_user
Ninja

Post by deleted_user »

People who share things expressed in PMs are being inconsiderate and impolite. It's quite simple. Using a donor's online paper trail from paypal to try to find their personal information is weird and creepy. There is no legality discussion to have, it's just scumbags being scumbags because they don't like someone. But apprently that's okay, and it's not a scumbag's fault, and the people who feel betrayed need lessons on internet anonymity and legislature, not any sort of compassion.
Italy gamevideo113
Howdah
ESO: gamevideo113

Post by gamevideo113 »

We need more wee ooo wee ooo wee ooo
[Some people aspire to be pr30+, some people aspire to have fun, and some people aspire to play 3v3 Deccan.] - vividlyplain - 2019 Who (nationality) rape ?
stupid logic. noob players can say op?
toxic, Insult, Racism ?
No Flag deleted_user
Ninja

Post by deleted_user »

I guess this is some sort of issue between certain people in this thread. It's impossible to know what really transpired and why it transpired. Well, it's sad to see in any light.
Sweden Gendarme
Gendarme
Donator 03

Post by Gendarme »

@deleted_user4 No. Internet-acquaintances are not meaningful to everyone as they are to you. One does not necessarily care more about a person in this community than a complete internet-stranger simply due to having "known" them for more than a year. Sharing the discovered Facebook-account of a random person on the internet is not wrong and certainly does not make one a scumbag.

You love your moral high ground and claim to be caring, but ironically all you do is flame people who do not share your opinions when you're not busy shitposting. You insist on calling this person an asshole and a scumbag, but if there is one person in this community who deserves those names it is you yourself. Try to take a look in the mirror for once.
No Flag deleted_user
Ninja

Post by deleted_user »

Gendarme wrote:@deleted_user4 No. Internet-acquaintances are not meaningful to everyone as they are to you. One does not necessarily care more about a person in this community than a complete internet-stranger simply due to having "known" them for more than a year. Sharing the discovered Facebook-account of a random person on the internet is not wrong and certainly does not make one a scumbag.

You love your moral high ground and claim to be caring, but ironically all you do is flame people who do not share your opinions when you're not busy shitposting. You insist on calling this person an asshole and a scumbag, but if there is one person in this community who deserves those names it is you yourself. Try to take a look in the mirror for once.

Oh, there's nothing ironic about it. It's very true I am also an asshole and a scumbag. I never said I wasn't. All I do is be toxic too. But I can still say things so I do.

Internet acquaintances are people. It's good to be considerate of people. We've all grown so impersonal, and I am no better.

Moral high ground? I'm a shitty individual. That's not where I'm coming from.

inb4 Matthew 7:5
No Flag fightinfrenchman
Ninja
Donator 04

Post by fightinfrenchman »

It may not make someone a scumbag or be illegal but can we at least agree it's very inconsiderate?
Dromedary Scone Mix is not Alone Mix