disclosing info about your peers in discord

This is for discussions about the community, players, forum games, grudge matches, memes and everything else related to ESOC and its members.
Netherlands momuuu
Ninja
ESO: Jerom_

Re: disclosing info about your peers in discord

Post by momuuu »

iwillspankyou wrote:
momuuu wrote:
iwillspankyou wrote:well, I hope the community is the winner of this thread. Be more carefull in the future please. What is given to you as a personal trust, in a pm, is not to be disclosed, and the info you get when somebody appreciate you enough to donate, is not something you should share in a discord chat.
Just try a little more to be NICE, and show some respect to what is trusted to you :P

Usually when you tell someone something that has to be kept secret you add to that that it's a secret. Standard social stuff you know. How else is someone to figure its a secret?

personal stuff about my health, should make even you c the red flag, before disclosing it. I really think you know this. And the only way I knew it was you, was that I only disclosed it to you. Maybe I thought you where special? in a good way

ok
No Flag tedere12
Jaeger

Post by tedere12 »

iwillspankyou wrote:@tedere12 yeah not trusting a "friend" - that sound very healthy. I will be more carefull of whom I donate to, and who I trust - yeah - we all lost. not good :cry:

you consider those people friends but the fact that you trust them but they don't care about your secret shows that you don't know your friends at all. Maybe you should spend more time thinking before you do something, and maybe not trust people so easy with your "secrets", especially if that information matters that much to you. I'm not trying to school you, you are free to do whatever you want but blaming the community for everything is unfair and very boring.
Norway spanky4ever
Gendarme
iwillspankyou

Post by spanky4ever »

ok - thx @momuuu
Hippocrits are the worst of animals. I love elifants.
Germany Lenari
Musketeer
ESO: Lenari

Post by Lenari »

Gendarme wrote:@Lenari I don't know you but I love you.

Thanks mate, You seem to have a good taste of people ;)
gibson wrote:
Lenari wrote:@spanky4ever
why would you waste your hard earned money on these people. It took me about 10 minutes watching their stream to know that their a bunch of idiots ;)
There are a lot of nice streamers you donated too, if you have to spent your money give it to them. I would recommend you to spend it on Bitcoins :lol:
Thank you for the compliment :)

Your stream is pretty good ;)
Norway spanky4ever
Gendarme
iwillspankyou

Post by spanky4ever »

tedere12 wrote:
iwillspankyou wrote:@tedere12 yeah not trusting a "friend" - that sound very healthy. I will be more carefull of whom I donate to, and who I trust - yeah - we all lost. not good :cry:

you consider those people friends but the fact that you trust them but they don't care about your secret shows that you don't know your friends at all. Maybe you should spend more time thinking before you do something, and maybe not trust people so easy with your "secrets", especially if that information matters that much to you. I'm not trying to school you, you are free to do whatever you want but blaming the community for everything is unfair and very boring.

well. Jerom was a dear friend on this communety - for a long time.
maybe you can blame me for being to naive - but then again, I would rather be naive then suspicious. A good balance is best - yeah I know.

Its not about the "secrets" though. As I said, I could disclose this myself, IF i so choose to do that. Its more about the getting together to "find me out", and pushing the limit to info I did not disclose, or had any wish of disclosing. That feels intrusive, and hostile. I dont really know if you get my grip there?
Netherlands momuuu
Ninja

Post by momuuu »

iwillspankyou wrote:
tedere12 wrote:

well. Jerom was a dear friend on this communety - for a long time.
maybe you can blame me for being to naive - but then again, I would rather be naive then suspicious. A good balance is best - yeah I know.

Its not about the "secrets" though. As I said, I could disclose this myself, IF i so choose to do that. Its more about the getting together to "find me out", and pushing the limit to info I did not disclose, or had any wish of disclosing. That feels intrusive, and hostile. I dont really know if you get my grip there?

This didn't really happen. It was just a hypothetical scenario.. I don't think you really knew what went down.
Norway spanky4ever
Gendarme
iwillspankyou

Post by spanky4ever »

could B @momuuu but then again, you where not the one being pushed.
Netherlands momuuu
Ninja

Post by momuuu »

iwillspankyou wrote:could B @momuuu but then again, you where not the one being pushed.

yes spanky, you are a victim!
Australia VooDoo_BoSs
Dragoon
ESO: VooDoo_BoSs

Post by VooDoo_BoSs »

I do agree that those who receive donations have a duty to keep them anonymous.

The knowledge that my email and / or facebook may be shared if I make a donation is seriously discouraging me from doing so.
Norway spanky4ever
Gendarme
iwillspankyou

Post by spanky4ever »

momuuu wrote:
iwillspankyou wrote:could B @momuuu but then again, you where not the one being pushed.

yes spanky, you are a victim!

clearly Im not, cos Im in your face :roll:
:P
Poland pecelot
Retired Contributor
Donator 03
ESO: Pezet

Post by pecelot »

iwillspankyou wrote:I know you are both young, but your still young adults :!:

my adults are no longer young, I'm afraid...
Tuvalu gibson
Ninja
ECL Reigning Champs

Post by gibson »

It’s funny how Jeroms gotten so anti pc he sees the horrible “pcness” everywhere and forcing his anti pcness on people way more than anyone being pc is. Should just ban him for trolling tbh, no ones that’s dumb.
Netherlands momuuu
Ninja

Post by momuuu »

gibson wrote:It’s funny how Jeroms gotten so anti pc he sees the horrible “pcness” everywhere and forcing his anti pcness on people way more than anyone being pc is. Should just ban him for trolling tbh, no ones that’s dumb.

I only said you don't have to be nice to people. It bothers me about many Americans and typically pc people to be honest.. Somehow people around here think the only viable vision on the world is one where we're living in a flowercoated paradise, while having to condemn everyone that thinks differently. I think it's better to just see things the way they are and let people think whatever they think. But I don't even know how you've gotten that out of this thread.
Norway spanky4ever
Gendarme
iwillspankyou

Post by spanky4ever »

you displayed your azz @momuuu Deal with it! And I would cousious you to be more carefull in the future. As will I. Should not dispay any info to a turn coat :cry:
United States of America Cometk
Retired Contributor

Post by Cometk »

you don't have to be nice, and people are free to call you out for being an asshole for it
Canada Jam
Jaeger
ESO: Hyperactive Jam

Post by Jam »

Y'all gonna get spanked!
Australia VooDoo_BoSs
Dragoon

Post by VooDoo_BoSs »

momuuu wrote:
gibson wrote:It’s funny how Jeroms gotten so anti pc he sees the horrible “pcness” everywhere and forcing his anti pcness on people way more than anyone being pc is. Should just ban him for trolling tbh, no ones that’s dumb.

I only said you don't have to be nice to people. It bothers me about many Americans and typically pc people to be honest.. Somehow people around here think the only viable vision on the world is one where we're living in a flowercoated paradise, while having to condemn everyone that thinks differently. I think it's better to just see things the way they are and let people think whatever they think. But I don't even know how you've gotten that out of this thread.

This has nothing to do with PC - being considerate of other people's privacy or even respecting people's wishes (even if you think it's irrational) is common courtesy. If you go around your relationships / workplace / community etc. with the same attitude then people will dislike you for it, and it's not because they are "politically correct" or want to live in a flowercoated paradise.

I'm shocked we're even debating this, as if respect for others is not a basic requirement in being an adult.
Tuvalu gibson
Ninja
ECL Reigning Champs

Post by gibson »

Exactly voodoo......somehow jerom thinks that being considerate of those in your community is being overly pc, which is mind boggling to me. How he has any friends I’ll never know.
Netherlands edeholland
ESOC Community Team
Donator 01
ESO: edeholland
GameRanger ID: 4053888
Clan: ESOC

Post by edeholland »

Since both your posts have no likes yet, I don't know what to think.
No Flag deleted_user
Ninja

Post by deleted_user »

edeholland wrote:Since both your posts have no likes yet, I don't know what to think.

Time to pull out old ESOC's Total Like List for all users so we can know who is objectively the best, friendliest, most-liked, and overall correct human being 8-)
No Flag tedere12
Jaeger

Post by tedere12 »

the list is probably not updated because I don't see how else analworsher9 wouldn't be in the 1st place
Sweden Gendarme
Gendarme
Donator 03
ESO: Gendarme

Post by Gendarme »

gibson wrote:Exactly voodoo......somehow jerom thinks that being considerate of those in your community is being overly pc, which is mind boggling to me. How he has any friends I’ll never know.
How can you all get something so simple this fucking wrong? Jerom says demanding others to be considerate is overly PC. Nobody is here is complaining about you being considerate, or even claiming that they themselves aren't considerate.
Pay more attention to detail.
Tuvalu gibson
Ninja
ECL Reigning Champs

Post by gibson »

Gendarme wrote:
gibson wrote:Exactly voodoo......somehow jerom thinks that being considerate of those in your community is being overly pc, which is mind boggling to me. How he has any friends I’ll never know.
How can you all get something so simple this fucking wrong? Jerom says demanding others to be considerate is overly PC. Nobody is here is complaining about you being considerate, or even claiming that they themselves aren't considerate.
no one is “demanding” anyone to be considerate. People ar pointing out that being considerate to others in your community is what is expected if one wants to remain part of the community. People have every right to be dicks, but they shouldn’t expect to remain as part of the community if they do so.
Sweden Gendarme
Gendarme
Donator 03
ESO: Gendarme

Post by Gendarme »

@gibson That is a demand. And no, you don't have to be considerate to be in a community, especially not one consisting purely of strangers (which outside of the internet wouldn't be considered a community). The share of people valuing these internet-acquaintances and perceiving the interactions close to equal to those of real life are obviously overrepresented in gaming communities, but you are very mistaken to think of this as a universal truth. A person from a real community being rude to you is extremely different to someone on this forum being rude, because the people here are virtual strangers. You'll learn a lot more about the people during one day in Amsterdam than you have during two years on ESOC.

If you get significantly offended by a stranger—especially one who is not in your physical presence—you are very insecure and that is the problem, not the fact that there exists a rude person who happened to interact with you. Social incapability leads to seeking refuge and friendship on the internet, and this is why we are having this discussion in the first place. None of the reasons for why being rude towards acquaintances or even strangers is offensive in the real life apply to this forum; the only reason you would take offense from the average ESOCian is purely because you are overly sensitive. Drawing parallells with real life (e.g. relationships, workplace, and common courtesy like Voodoo did) is just misguided.

I know you aren't one to be offended by anything said on a forum, and a significant amount of the people on your side of the argument probably aren't either, but you somehow still fail to see that the actual problem is people taking offense from inconsiderate internet-strangers rather than people being inconsiderate towards internet-strangers.
Pay more attention to detail.
Australia VooDoo_BoSs
Dragoon

Post by VooDoo_BoSs »

Gendarme wrote:@gibson That is a demand. And no, you don't have to be considerate to be in a community, especially not one consisting purely of strangers (which outside of the internet wouldn't be considered a community). The share of people valuing these internet-acquaintances and perceiving the interactions close to equal to those of real life are obviously overrepresented in gaming communities, but you are very mistaken to think of this as a universal truth. A person from a real community being rude to you is extremely different to someone on this forum being rude, because the people here are virtual strangers. You'll learn a lot more about the people during one day in Amsterdam than you have during two years on ESOC.

I'm not really sure what you're arguing anymore.

The original post was about somebody who made a donation, and then had their email address shared with other strangers. He said that made him feel uncomfortable. This is something that would also make me uncomfortable and is discouraging me from donating. You can call us "overly sensitive" as much as you want, but requesting privacy is quite fundamental in an online setting where we may not want our name linked to our online or gaming habits. For many of you that may not be an issue - but it doesn't mean that nobody is allowed to care about their privacy.

If you get significantly offended by a stranger—especially one who is not in your physical presence—you are very insecure and that is the problem, not the fact that there exists a rude person who happened to interact with you. Social incapability leads to seeking refuge and friendship on the internet, and this is why we are having this discussion in the first place. None of the reasons for why being rude towards acquaintances or even strangers is offensive in the real life apply to this forum; the only reason you would take offense from the average ESOCian is purely because you are overly sensitive. Drawing parallells with real life (e.g. relationships, workplace, and common courtesy like Voodoo did) is just misguided.

This is so false I don't even know where to start. Communities are responsible for the culture within them - saying you shouldn't be offended by rudeness and hence we should ignore it completely disregards the fact that we may want to build a respectful community. I would much rather play with people who I get along with than those who are rude to me - it doesn't mean I am going to kill myself out of sheer depression if somebody calls me a noob but it does have an overall impact in how much we enjoy our gaming experience.

I know you aren't one to be offended by anything said on a forum, and a significant amount of the people on your side of the argument probably aren't either, but you somehow still fail to see that the actual problem is people taking offense from inconsiderate internet-strangers rather than people being inconsiderate towards internet-strangers.

This isn't necessarily about offence - it's about the kind of people you want to interact and game with. I'm not sure how anybody can honestly say they would rather interact with rude people than friendly people.