EU4 How do you beat a great power when it's allied to another great power?

This is for discussions about the community, players, forum games, grudge matches, memes and everything else related to ESOC and its members.
No Flag Djigit
Howdah

Re: EU4 How do you beat a great power when it's allied to another great power?

Post by Djigit »

duckzilla wrote:They did not even announce a date yet, right?
Guess the game is gonna change quite a lot with the new patch.
Since you're more experienced that I am, what things would you like them to add or change?
European Union Scroogie
Lancer
ESO: Scroogie
GameRanger ID: 10056919

Post by Scroogie »

Djigit wrote:
Since you're more experienced that I am, what things would you like them to add or change?
All map colors need to be some form of the Rûm/SardiniaPiedmont/Dithmarshen/Bavaria blue.
Me being slightly ahead vs H2O: Image
Vietnam duckzilla
Jaeger

Post by duckzilla »

Djigit wrote:
I would love an overhaul of the trade system. But this is very unlikely to happen.

The current announcements surrounding the new expansion sound very good. It is focussed on central Europe (between Britanny and Bosphorus), adds lots of provinces/tags and changes both the HRE and Catholicism substantially. Looks good.
Whatever is written above: this is no financial advice.

Beati pauperes spiritu.
Earth King_Kazi
Crossbow
ESO: sultan_kazi

Post by King_Kazi »

A few ways to go about this.
1. Check to see if they have any other allies except each other. E.g. Take Ming and Russia who are allies. But hypothetically, let's say Russia is allied to Ryazan. Then declare war on Ryazan which calls in Russia but won't call in Ming. Then separate peace Russia and annul treaties with Ming.
2. If they are only allied to each other and aren't guaranteeing anyone, then get another strong ally and take them both on, but white peace one of them as soon as you can or even concede defeat with one of them then beat the shit out of the other one an annul treaties.
3. Wait until one of them declares war on someone else then see if they'll join. The minute they won't join, attack their ally and annul treaties immediately
Poland pecelot
Retired Contributor
Donator 03
ESO: Pezet

Post by pecelot »

In my opinion trade is very well made and it's a solidly-crafted feature, especially once you get a hang of it. Binary diplomacy deserves an overhaul more. The shady dynastic system should get a mention, too.
No Flag RefluxSemantic
Gendarme

Post by RefluxSemantic »

Did trade ever get overhauled? I didn't play much EU4 but trade was by far my favorite aspect of the game. Diplomacy seemed okay. Combat seems really shallow and boring.
No Flag Djigit
Howdah

Post by Djigit »

duckzilla wrote:
Djigit wrote:
I would love an overhaul of the trade system. But this is very unlikely to happen.

The current announcements surrounding the new expansion sound very good. It is focused on central Europe (between Britanny and Bosphorus), adds lots of provinces/tags and changes both the HRE and Catholicism substantially. Looks good.
Speaking of trade, I still haven't figured out how to pick the most optimal trade node to protect with light ships, except by trial and error. The tooltip displaying the pay-off is misleading, right?
Vietnam duckzilla
Jaeger

Post by duckzilla »

The tooltips for trade did not work properly for a long time. Don't know whether they can be trusted today.

I have to admit that I barely use light ships in larger quantities. I only do it when I have a very wealthy upstream node, where I don't have provinces, and I want more of the cash to flow in my direction. As an example, I like to use a high amount of light ships in Sevilla when I play Aragon and use only my home node of Genoa to collect trade. Depending on the amount of merchants available (and whether you already own provinces there), further light ships in Ragusa/Alexandria can be useful.
Whatever is written above: this is no financial advice.

Beati pauperes spiritu.
European Union Scroogie
Lancer

Post by Scroogie »

I generally search for a good homenode in my region that i want to control. Either an end node or one that has little outflow like Konstantinople, Persia, Malacca, Lübeck, Bengal or Beijing. Imo light ships are only worth it as long as you have less than 70% of the power in the node.
Germany lordraphael
Pro Player
EWTNWC LAN SilverAdvanced Division WinnerDonator 01

Post by lordraphael »

Djigit wrote:
duckzilla wrote:
Show hidden quotes

The current announcements surrounding the new expansion sound very good. It is focused on central Europe (between Britanny and Bosphorus), adds lots of provinces/tags and changes both the HRE and Catholicism substantially. Looks good.
Speaking of trade, I still haven't figured out how to pick the most optimal trade node to protect with light ships, except by trial and error. The tooltip displaying the pay-off is misleading, right?
i always do trial and error. I mean its basically impossible to fully grasp how trade works. theres of course a few general factors that you can follow. like lights ships only being useful if you dont have many provinces in that province aka less trade power. Also there has to be a merchant there that steers trade towards the node you want it to go. This doesnt have to be your own merchant btw. ( only really applies to later stages of the game when theres fewer nations. Sth to consider for trade is also creating vassal downstream and then use their merchants and power to steer towards your node. This can also help increase the overall value in your trade node, because there will be more stated land. I remember that i used that to make the baltic sea trade node the highest trade node ( or one of the highest, genoa is taff to beat early on) in the world very early in the game by using nowgorwod and gotland as vassals while demanding their trade power.

Emperor DLC looks absolutly lit.New mechanics for HRE and papacy. Revamps to mercs and most importantly corruption and territorys ( i hate the corruption system with to many territories atm, its so annoying. you basically cant blob anymore unless you have an endtrade node like the channel and have colonised / TC ) on top of that revamps for european maps, new missions. Its gonna be great, for sure.
breeze wrote: they cant even guess how much f***ing piece of stupid retarded they look they are trying to give lesson to people who are over pr35 and know the best mu. im pretty sure that we need a page that only pr30+ post and then we could have a nice discussins.
Great Britain Riotcoke
Retired Contributor
ECL Reigning ChampsDonator 01
ESO: Riotcoke
Clan: UwU

Post by Riotcoke »

The basis of trade is you're trying to pull other trade nodes to your main node, early game this should be the one you start next to while end game it should be an end node, iirc English Channel is the node which you can pull most things to.

Modifiers are incredibly important to trade, mercantilism increases individual trade power in your provinces so results in overall higher trade power. Trade efficiency just multiples what you collect. And trade steering just increases the efficiency of pulling .

The basic and easiest way to use your merchants when you don't quite understand how trade works is

1) if you don't have the monopoly in your home (collecting) node leave 1 merchant there to collect
2) if you have a more profitable node to collect from that someone is not pulling from move your trade capital
3) use your other merchants to pull from other nodes that are upwind from your main node, i.e if youre controlling Genoa and also have the most trade in Sevilla pull from Sevilla first then pull from Safi .
4) You want to make a chain of you will so pull with the closest , then next closest etc
5) light ships are very good when the overall trade power in a node is low so you can take over the node, for example the gold coast node works incredibly well as its overall power is low while the value going through it is very high in the mid game

twitch.tv/stangoesdeepTV
Great Britain Riotcoke
Retired Contributor
ECL Reigning ChampsDonator 01
ESO: Riotcoke
Clan: UwU

Post by Riotcoke »

Also I agree with rapha the new dlc looks great mercs being the best part, will make mp less about whoever bankrupts last

twitch.tv/stangoesdeepTV
No Flag Djigit
Howdah

Post by Djigit »

Is it common to get events that give +1 stability that often as Brandenburg or is it the new update? Got 3 in the first 10 years.
Netherlands Mr_Bramboy
Retired Contributor
Donator 01
ESO: [VOC] Bram

Post by Mr_Bramboy »

Just luck.
No Flag RefluxSemantic
Gendarme

Post by RefluxSemantic »

Djigit wrote:
duckzilla wrote:
Show hidden quotes

I haven't quite figured this out, but it seems to me like lightships show the increase in trade value in that particular node. That's technically correct I suppose, but the problem is that increasing my trade value in one particular node by a lot isn't going to be worth much if that means I then have to steer the trade through a node I don't control at all.

Furthermore, I think part of the 'added value' that it displays is stolen from countries already steering in your direction. So if for example I control 50% of the trade, and civ A 25% of the trade and civ B also 25% of the trade, but civ A and I are steering and collecting in the trade node, then this number is also misleading. Imagine the total trade value is a hypothetical 20 gold, so we have 10 gold of trade value here. If we increase that by 10%, the UI would (I believe at least) claim that we make 1 gold this way (minus ship cost). However, in reality this means we increase our trade share to 55%, which means civ A and civ B will both have 22.5% of the trade. This means that the total trade value steered to our node goes from 75% to 77.5%. So now assuming we collect 100% of this value in our end node (we probably don't if another civ is steering to us, but for simplicty lets assume this) the money we make goes from 15 gold to 15.5 gold. The profit in this case is only half of what the UI claimed it would be (and even less technically if you take into account the maintenance of the light ships).

This is how I think it works. I've basically been looking at the total gold in a node, and then looking at what percentage of this gold is going to my collection nodes. If the value in a node is rather high and I can efficiently ship it to my end node without many others profiting, then it seems worth it to try to take over the node with light ships.
Australia Peachrocks
Lancer
ESO: Peachrocks

Post by Peachrocks »

Djigit wrote:Is it common to get events that give +1 stability that often as Brandenburg or is it the new update? Got 3 in the first 10 years.
'I wish I lived in more enlightened times'

I say this more often IRL then I care to.

Also I dislike how trade works and is massively biased to Europe. I mean sure there's some good nodes outside of it provided you can cut off the access to anyone in the next downstream node. Zanzibar is a personal favourite. If you control Cape Town, Europe can do very little about all the trade in Asia coming to you.
European Union Scroogie
Lancer

Post by Scroogie »

Peachrocks wrote:
Djigit wrote:Is it common to get events that give +1 stability that often as Brandenburg or is it the new update? Got 3 in the first 10 years.
'I wish I lived in more enlightened times'

I say this more often IRL then I care to.

Also I dislike how trade works and is massively biased to Europe. I mean sure there's some good nodes outside of it provided you can cut off the access to anyone in the next downstream node. Zanzibar is a personal favourite. If you control Cape Town, Europe can do very little about all the trade in Asia coming to you.
I agree. I think it wouldnt be too difficult to come up with a procedure/ruleset that allows you to change the direction of trade flow without creating loops and that would make trade less europe centered.