Things you can't quite understand

This is for discussions about the community, players, forum games, grudge matches, memes and everything else related to ESOC and its members.
Sweden Gendarme
Gendarme
Donator 03
ESO: Gendarme

Re: Things you can't quite understand

Post by Gendarme »

momuuu wrote:I dont understand why popular culture acts as if Tesla was some surpressed omniscient demigod. It always confuses me why people think of him as the best scientist or something.

[spoiler=Know ur place bitch]Image[/spoiler]
Pay more attention to detail.
No Flag fightinfrenchman
Ninja
Donator 04

Post by fightinfrenchman »

Gendarme wrote:Image

We just played a couple Basement games last night. We're actually in an AoE 3 Renaissance!
Dromedary Scone Mix is not Alone Mix
Austria supahons
Dragoon
ESO: supahons

Post by supahons »

frostibite wrote:I don't understand why people still play a dead, unsupported, highly imbalanced rts game.
come at me bros

At first i wanted to say, the playerbase is probably older and doesn't care about the recent games. Then i looked at the most watched streams on twitch (8/11) and the first gameversion: Fortnite (2017), League of Legends (2009), World of Warcraft (2004), Counter strike (1999), Fifa (1993), Dota (2003), Gta (1997), Assassins creed (2007). Improved versions but nothing really innovative here too.

That's why i would say it's still fun to play and a classic, (aoe1 1997, aoe2 1999, aoe3 2005). dead (yes and no -> 13 years old), unsupported but playable, imbalanced :hmm: avoid quicksearch or suggest changes for the patch.
Poland pecelot
Retired Contributor
Donator 03
ESO: Pezet

Post by pecelot »

lol FIFA, GTA, CS — nothing really innovative?
Austria supahons
Dragoon

Post by supahons »

Fifa - If you buy a version every 5 years it changes a lot, but if you buy them every year it feels like they just resell you nearly the same game.
Gta - you do the same in every version but only with more options/ improved graphics in the later versions (i have never played the 2D versions)
CS - (improved graphics, different engine in 2004(!) and the classic weapons, map layouts are very old (~2000))
United States of America frostibite
Musketeer

Post by frostibite »

supahons wrote:
frostibite wrote:I don't understand why people still play a dead, unsupported, highly imbalanced rts game.
come at me bros

At first i wanted to say, the playerbase is probably older and doesn't care about the recent games. Then i looked at the most watched streams on twitch (8/11) and the first gameversion: Fortnite (2017), League of Legends (2009), World of Warcraft (2004), Counter strike (1999), Fifa (1993), Dota (2003), Gta (1997), Assassins creed (2007). Improved versions but nothing really innovative here too.

That's why i would say it's still fun to play and a classic, (aoe1 1997, aoe2 1999, aoe3 2005). dead (yes and no -> 13 years old), unsupported but playable, imbalanced :hmm: avoid quicksearch or suggest changes for the patch.

People who play the patch only make up a small minority of players (of what little there is). A lot of people on ESO probably are not aware of a patch in the first place. Secondly, there is something about those built in PR and ladders that people love enough to play the imbalanced version of the game. Third, the patch is hard to trust since no one here is a professional rts game developer. That's not to say that the patch doesn't make the game better, but an official patch done by professionals will probably always be better. The biggest problem is that since the majority don't use the patch, you are generating feedback from the minority of players on ESO. The game is dead because it stopped evolving when it lost support, and blizzard is an absolute wizard at making rts games. Even when their game becomes imbalanced, it's still fun as hell to play for some reason. There seems to be some kind of answer to the imbalance in their games even if it is annoying. RTS fans favor fast paced rts over slower (aoe). SC2 is fun to watch (esports) because it doesnt take long before the intensity rises. AOE would put most people to sleep. I love AOE3 though and wish it was not dead.
No Flag fightinfrenchman
Ninja
Donator 04

Post by fightinfrenchman »

@frostibite It's clearly not dead, as evidenced by the forum you're posting in. We have regular tournaments, an annual charity telethon (next one will be in early January 2019 if you're interested) and Basement games are starting to get played more regularly.
Dromedary Scone Mix is not Alone Mix
Netherlands momuuu
Ninja
ESO: Jerom_

Post by momuuu »

The dead aspect is represented in how long it takes to get games going. Tbh, if you were to look for games where the skill gap is comparable to the skill gap in other competitive games, I think it becomes impossible to consistently find games in aoe3 once you're captain+. Thats whats dead about aoe3.
Germany yemshi
Jaeger
ESO: yemshi

Post by yemshi »

Which is again untrue. Up until major you run into zero problems and unless you are a colonel you have good chances.
Sweden Gendarme
Gendarme
Donator 03

Post by Gendarme »

momuuu wrote:The dead aspect is represented in how long it takes to get games going. Tbh, if you were to look for games where the skill gap is comparable to the skill gap in other competitive games, I think it becomes impossible to consistently find games in aoe3 once you're captain+. Thats whats dead about aoe3.
Literally everything you said is wrong which is unsurprising considering you don't play the game.
Netherlands momuuu
Ninja
ESO: Jerom_

Post by momuuu »

yemshi wrote:Which is again untrue. Up until major you run into zero problems and unless you are a colonel you have good chances.

Read closely. Within the standards of other games implies you play people very close in skill, where the expected winrate between the two of you is very close to 50%. I honestly doubt that even captain vs captain always meets this criterium. It is pretty hard to find opponents that are truly close in skill. I feel like most games I have played werent actually balanced in that sense.

And then pay close attention to the word consistently. There are many times of the day where you will not find a game. For example, if I wanted to play at 11 am before going to university, I would not get a competitive game. To be honest, the last five or so times I tried to play aoe3 I didnt actually find a good fair match iirc. And then consistently also implies within 30 minutes or so, which can be the time frame someone has to play.

So no, I wasnt wrong. You just cant read.
Germany yemshi
Jaeger
ESO: yemshi

Post by yemshi »

momuuu wrote:
yemshi wrote:Which is again untrue. Up until major you run into zero problems and unless you are a colonel you have good chances.

Read closely. Within the standards of other games implies you play people very close in skill, where the expected winrate between the two of you is very close to 50%. I honestly doubt that even captain vs captain always meets this criterium. It is pretty hard to find opponents that are truly close in skill. I feel like most games I have played werent actually balanced in that sense.

And then pay close attention to the word consistently. There are many times of the day where you will not find a game. For example, if I wanted to play at 11 am before going to university, I would not get a competitive game. To be honest, the last five or so times I tried to play aoe3 I didnt actually find a good fair match iirc. And then consistently also implies within 30 minutes or so, which can be the time frame someone has to play.

So no, I wasnt wrong. You just cant read.

[spoiler=spoiler]
ejfrngo.png
[/spoiler]
That's my last 20 games. How's that not fair for anyone?
Cross those three games out, they are insta resigns from someone lower than me. Note that I could have chosen to not resign my insta resigns.
These games are nothing but a simple QS queue, the latest games were even EU mornings with 200 people on ESO.
Czech Republic EAGLEMUT
ESOC Dev Team
Donator 05
ESO: EAGLEMUT
Clan: WPact

Post by EAGLEMUT »

frostibite wrote:Secondly, there is something about those built in PR and ladders that people love enough to play the imbalanced version of the game.

Not sure what's your point here, built-in PR works exactly the same on ESOC Patch as it does on RE.
frostibite wrote:The game is dead because it stopped evolving when it lost support

Are you claiming that the game has not evolved anywhere in the past decade? I would have to disagree with that, at least if we're talking competitive.
momuuu wrote: theres no way eaglemut is truly a top player
Spain NekoBerk
Lancer
ESO: Nirket

Post by NekoBerk »

fightinfrenchman wrote:@frostibite It's clearly not dead, as evidenced by the forum you're posting in. We have regular tournaments, an annual charity telethon (next one will be in early January 2019 if you're interested) and Basement games are starting to get played more regularly.

It's clearly dead when only a few special persons that we know as "Top Players" win the tournaments. Somebody like you or like me, an average person, won't never win any because top players are so far away of the line of an "average player". Also TOP Players practise with TOP players, so the knowledge and skill is really stuck in that Elite group. I'm talking about the massive tournaments ofc where everybody above PR 15+ can join. This is sad, only an elite of persons really play the tournament and the rest are just for fill in and make it look like a really important event where everybody has a chance for win.
"That's why we sing for these kids who don't have a thing
Except for a dream and a fuckin' rap magazine " - Eminem

"And we hate po-po
Wanna kill us dead in the street fo sho' " - Kendrick Lamar
Sweden Gendarme
Gendarme
Donator 03

Post by Gendarme »

I assure you, you won't win any SC tournaments either.
Armenia Sargsyan
Jaeger
Donator 01
ESO: lamergamer
Clan: c0ns

Post by Sargsyan »

krichk wrote:For some reason, you want the world to know that you're brave enough to challenge Challenger_Marco
Sweden Gendarme
Gendarme
Donator 03

Post by Gendarme »

Spain NekoBerk
Lancer

Post by NekoBerk »

Gendarme wrote:I assure you, you won't win any SC tournaments either.

In games like CS GO, there are tons of massive tournaments, even for noobies. You rarely will see any for noobs here. Also the knowledge and skill isn't stuck, everybody can reach the Global Rank in the game if you practice for like 3-4 years OR EVEN LESS, 1 year min. It isn't the case in Aoe 3, You won't never become PR 40, even if you spend 5 years.

"And we hate po-po
Austria supahons
Dragoon

Post by supahons »

@NekoBerk
"You rarely will see any for noobs here." It would be quite boring to see armies standing around for 10 min and do nothing. the overall interest in the game is quite small.

"It isn't the case in Aoe 3, You won't never become PR 40, even if you spend 5 years." :lol: everyone certainly won't reach this rank ever, but if you practice a lot you can always improve. Watch the streams there is no hidden knowledge xD - Just ppl playing all day and improving and then they deserve it to be the best ;)
Spain Snuden
Jaeger
ESO: Snuden

Post by Snuden »

I have recently joined the MS Deccan circuit, a lot of competitive games going on there.
Judging by the amount of flame, it is quite serious business.
[Sith] - Baphomet
Spain NekoBerk
Lancer

Post by NekoBerk »

supahons wrote:@NekoBerk
"You rarely will see any for noobs here." It would be quite boring to see armies standing around for 10 min and do nothing. the overall interest in the game is quite small.

"It isn't the case in Aoe 3, You won't never become PR 40, even if you spend 5 years." :lol: everyone certainly won't reach this rank ever, but if you practice a lot you can always improve. Watch the streams there is no hidden knowledge xD - Just ppl playing all day and improving and then they deserve it to be the best ;)

"It would be quite boring to see armies standing around for 10 min and do nothing. the overall interest in the game is quite small." IT still proving my point, #DEADGAME.

"everyone certainly won't reach this rank ever, but if you practice a lot you can always improve. Watch the streams there is no hidden knowledge xD - Just ppl playing all day and improving and then they deserve it to be the best" This is such a big lie, because first, there isn't enough people for reach it and the game is pretty imbalanced without EP. Play on EP = No games = #DeadGame

Also the only existing way for become a top player is that somebody of the elite group decides to abandon the game, so a next person will enter. OR MAYBE NOT.

"And we hate po-po
Czech Republic EAGLEMUT
ESOC Dev Team
Donator 05
ESO: EAGLEMUT
Clan: WPact

Post by EAGLEMUT »

I don't even know where to start, but just about everything you've written here is incorrect, as evidenced by the currently ongoing tournaments.
momuuu wrote: theres no way eaglemut is truly a top player
Sweden Gendarme
Gendarme
Donator 03

Post by Gendarme »

[insert gibson response to Jermon]
Austria supahons
Dragoon

Post by supahons »

[spoiler]
NekoBerk wrote:
supahons wrote:@NekoBerk

[/spoiler]

NekoBerk wrote:"It would be quite boring to see armies standing around for 10 min and do nothing. the overall interest in the game is quite small." IT still proving my point, #DEADGAME.

"everyone certainly won't reach this rank ever, but if you practice a lot you can always improve. Watch the streams there is no hidden knowledge xD - Just ppl playing all day and improving and then they deserve it to be the best" This is such a big lie, because first, there isn't enough people for reach it and the game is pretty imbalanced without EP. Play on EP = No games = #DeadGame

Also the only existing way for become a top player is that somebody of the elite group decides to abandon the game, so a next person will enter. OR MAYBE NOT.

You don't have play it at all - it's old, and you still don't deserve a high PR just for playing.
There is no barrier of entry, only some minimum requirements (eg it's impossible to win with a broken hand)
You could become the best. It isn't unfair if somebody is just better than you. To prevent this you would have to lower the skill = ban better players until you are the best. (downward spiral)
Or you could cheat or play on hc level <10 vs noobs all day if it makes you happy, then you achieve PR40 too :hehe:
Spain NekoBerk
Lancer

Post by NekoBerk »

@supahons Prove me that i'm wrong winning an ESOC Tournament then...

"And we hate po-po