Fortnite Sues cheater

This is for discussions about the community, players, forum games, grudge matches, memes and everything else related to ESOC and its members.
Netherlands Goodspeed
Retired Contributor

Re: Fortnite Sues cheater

Post by Goodspeed »

Games generally lose players after the initial hype dies down. Fortnite in particular was hyped a disproportionate amount and never felt like a game with the longevity to keep living up to the hype.
So while I'm sure it didn't help I wouldn't be too quick to attribute the decline in players to cheating.
Tuvalu gibson
Ninja
ECL Reigning Champs

Post by gibson »

giveuanxiety wrote:
No he's not ruining the games reputation. If that was the case the player base would go down and it hasn't. If anything it's bringing more attention to the game. It is absolutely ridiculous that there would be real life repercussions to cheating in a video game( assuming there's no money on the line). Think about how crazy your last statement is. You want people to be punished in real life for cheating in a video game. That is beyond absurd. There is 0 legal basis for, and there shouldn't be. Again, this lawsuit is merely a scare tactic to try to get people not to cheat. If people want to cheat that's their prerogative.

He clearly is ruining the games reputation, and the numbers have been going down.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qyydfpYYGRc .
He is essentially stealing money from the company. Also there has been lots of cheating in the tournament, in the early stages and in the late stages. @
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_W8_gf5E39Q&t=241s
This team was confirmed as cheating by EPIC games and EPIC games gave them a 14 day ban. (EPIC has been very inconsistent with punishments and seem like they dont knw what their doing most of the time.) They had qualified for the Main tournament but epic confirmed they cheated. EPIC took away their qualification and gave them a 14 day ban. Then that same duo was allowed to compete 14 days later and this time they qualified for the main tournament. (probably cheated again this time but EPIC didnt do anything). That team won $50,000 with that qualification and are now qualified to compete for much more money in the main LAN event.
Yea i should have clarified, the game isnt going down because of cheaters. If epic actually wanted to do something about cheaters they would have actually banned them instead of going after a 14 year old kid. The thing is its pro players and content creators like them that made fortnite as big as it was today, although i'd still thing is someone was confirmed to be cheating a permanent ban should be in line.
Netherlands Mr_Bramboy
Retired Contributor
Donator 01
ESO: [VOC] Bram

Post by Mr_Bramboy »

Goodspeed wrote:Life actually went to prison for match fixing in SC2

He didn't. He was sentenced to a suspended sentence of 18 months. He did have to pay a fine of almost €55,000.

I can't believe people in this chat are seriously willing to send a 14-year old to jail. There's even a guy saying the 14-year old knew exactly what he was doing. I don't think a single 14-year old in the world knows what he's doing. I know for a fact that I was definitely doing questionably legal things at 14 years and I turned out relatively fine.
Netherlands Goodspeed
Retired Contributor

Post by Goodspeed »

Apparently true. He was still in jail during the trial though
No Flag deleted_user0
Ninja

Post by deleted_user0 »

Mr_Bramboy wrote:
Goodspeed wrote:Life actually went to prison for match fixing in SC2

He didn't. He was sentenced to a suspended sentence of 18 months. He did have to pay a fine of almost €55,000.

I can't believe people in this chat are seriously willing to send a 14-year old to jail. There's even a guy saying the 14-year old knew exactly what he was doing. I don't think a single 14-year old in the world knows what he's doing. I know for a fact that I was definitely doing questionably legal things at 14 years and I turned out relatively fine.

The jury is still out on that! But yea, it's silly. Especially because he's not even the one using the cheats in their tournaments, but the people who do and who play professionally just get a 14 day ban lol. That's even more inconsistent than ESOC Admin's tournament moderation XD
Holy See Imperial Noob
Lancer

Post by Imperial Noob »

Mr_Bramboy wrote:There's even a guy saying the 14-year old knew exactly what he was doing. I don't think a single 14-year old in the world knows what he's doing.

bs my dude
United States of America giveuanxiety
Advanced Player
Donator 02
ESO: GiveUAnxiety

Post by giveuanxiety »

He knew what he was doing was wrong and he was making money from selling cheats. But ya the topic can be a debate as it's a newer type of crime.
Lasol wrote: :hmm: just Saw a YouTube video with giveyouanexiaty. He Said check youre stove, if you Want to improve youre aoe3 skills.

WHAT does check your stove means? And how do you do it?
Tuvalu gibson
Ninja
ECL Reigning Champs

Post by gibson »

How is making cheats for a video game "wrong"? Its certainly not wrong legally.
United States of America giveuanxiety
Advanced Player
Donator 02
ESO: GiveUAnxiety

Post by giveuanxiety »

ha well EPIC would disagree. There are lots of things that should be illegal but the laws havent kept up with the internet and technology advancements. Laws take a long time to pass, longer than the world advanced tech wise.
Lasol wrote: :hmm: just Saw a YouTube video with giveyouanexiaty. He Said check youre stove, if you Want to improve youre aoe3 skills.

WHAT does check your stove means? And how do you do it?
Canada Jam
Jaeger
ESO: Hyperactive Jam

Post by Jam »

Pretty sure you can't get a criminal record at 14, but who knows it's the USA.
No Flag deleted_user0
Ninja

Post by deleted_user0 »

Jam wrote:Pretty sure you can't get a criminal record at 14, but who knows it's the USA.

https://www.albaughlaw.com/Blog/2017/Oc ... hilds.aspx

uk isn't any different. Maybe Canada is, idk.
Netherlands Mr_Bramboy
Retired Contributor
Donator 01
ESO: [VOC] Bram

Post by Mr_Bramboy »

gibson wrote:How is making cheats for a video game "wrong"? Its certainly not wrong legally.

It's a very, very gray area. A few years ago, the highest judge in NL ruled that Runescape items are a form of 'goods', and therefore stealing Runescape items is equal to stealing real goods. That's a national felony here, meaning you're ineligible for a lot of jobs because you stole a Runescape account and its items. Keep in mind that the law used here stems from 1848; I doubt the parliament had Runescape in mind back then.

I have no idea if creating cheats is illegal. It's an interesting question but also a mess with the current laws which are clearly not meant for the internet. I don't think Epic is actually looking for a settlement though. They likely want to send a signal to the kid's parents and hopefully deter others from creating and sharing cheats in the future. It is pretty hypocritical since Epic/Fortnite is known for breaching copyright laws all the time, especially in their dances, but they get away with it because they're a Chinese company.

@deleted_user I'm not conversing with a known troll.
No Flag deleted_user0
Ninja

Post by deleted_user0 »

@Mr_Bramboner should stop talking to yourself then.
No Flag deleted_user0
Ninja

Post by deleted_user0 »

yeah, you should do that, that's exactly what I said, considering you're definitely a minority.
Kiribati princeofcarthage
Retired Contributor

Post by princeofcarthage »

Creating hacks often requires change in code of the game itself(yes there are ways to cheat without touching a single game file). What happens after cheat/hack is implemented is considered as a new software created from xyz software, which puts it in line of copyright infringement. So it is technically illegal to create hacks, mods, cheats for games otherwise stated by developer itself. For ex. EP should technically be illegal or at least in grey area, while mods for cities skylines aren't.
Fine line to something great is a strange change.
Netherlands Goodspeed
Retired Contributor

Post by Goodspeed »

Who are the known trolls in this conversation? I'm confused
Great Britain Riotcoke
Retired Contributor
ECL Reigning ChampsDonator 01
ESO: Riotcoke
Clan: UwU

Post by Riotcoke »

umeu wrote:
Jam wrote:Pretty sure you can't get a criminal record at 14, but who knows it's the USA.

https://www.albaughlaw.com/Blog/2017/Oc ... hilds.aspx

uk isn't any different. Maybe Canada is, idk.

In the UK you can have a criminal record before you're 18, but when you hit 18 it wipes assuming it's been 5 1/2 years since your conviction.

twitch.tv/stangoesdeepTV
Nauru Dolan
Ninja

Post by Dolan »

That's great that they're tackling cheating, but the problem is that often anti-cheat measures tend to scan a user's RAM and keep track of processes running on their CPU and sending the data back to the company providing the matchmaking system (eg, https://www.eurogamer.net/articles/2014 ... eat-system).

So there are some privacy concerns about these data. It wouldn't be the first time if someone hacked their databases and could gain access to such data collected right from your PC. It happened to Sony too. It'll probably happen again.
No Flag fightinfrenchman
Ninja
Donator 04

Post by fightinfrenchman »

Riotcoke wrote:
In the UK you can have a criminal record before you're 18, but when you hit 18 it wipes assuming it's been 5 1/2 years since your conviction.

Why do you know this? You some kind of delinquent?
Dromedary Scone Mix is not Alone Mix
Great Britain Riotcoke
Retired Contributor

Post by Riotcoke »

fightinfrenchman wrote:
Riotcoke wrote:

Why do you know this? You some kind of delinquent?

Yeah i throw eggs at people's houses, can't stop doing it.

twitch.tv/stangoesdeepTV
Australia robo
ESOC Media Team
ESO: robo_boro
Clan: sQad

Post by robo »

Riotcoke wrote:Yeah i throw eggs at people's houses, can't stop doing it.

Don't egg the studio plz
United States of America evilcheadar
Gendarme

Post by evilcheadar »

fightinfrenchman wrote:
ovi12 wrote:Btw, can someone please tell me what ever happened with Roi and Uhlan? All I heard is that they cheated. Where did they cheat? What did they do after?

They were drawn and quartered. It was very brutal

Honestly I wouldn't be against a punishment of this level irl for cheaters
A post not made is a post given away

A slushie a day keeps the refill thread at bay

Jackson Pollock was the best poster to ever to post on these forums
United States of America evilcheadar
Gendarme

Post by evilcheadar »

No shit the "pro" players cheat. That's how they get to be pro. Just like sports
A post not made is a post given away

A slushie a day keeps the refill thread at bay

Jackson Pollock was the best poster to ever to post on these forums
Great Britain Riotcoke
Retired Contributor

Post by Riotcoke »

robo wrote:
Riotcoke wrote:Yeah i throw eggs at people's houses, can't stop doing it.

Don't egg the studio plz

Don't worry i'll try to restrain myself in Manchester.

twitch.tv/stangoesdeepTV
Tuvalu gibson
Ninja
ECL Reigning Champs

Post by gibson »

princeofcarthage wrote:Creating hacks often requires change in code of the game itself(yes there are ways to cheat without touching a single game file). What happens after cheat/hack is implemented is considered as a new software created from xyz software, which puts it in line of copyright infringement. So it is technically illegal to create hacks, mods, cheats for games otherwise stated by developer itself. For ex. EP should technically be illegal or at least in grey area, while mods for cities skylines aren't.
No people using hacks use hacks that modify the game files lol. Its all 3rd party software.

Mr_Bramboy wrote:
gibson wrote:How is making cheats for a video game "wrong"? Its certainly not wrong legally.

It's a very, very gray area. A few years ago, the highest judge in NL ruled that Runescape items are a form of 'goods', and therefore stealing Runescape items is equal to stealing real goods. That's a national felony here, meaning you're ineligible for a lot of jobs because you stole a Runescape account and its items. Keep in mind that the law used here stems from 1848; I doubt the parliament had Runescape in mind back then.

I have no idea if creating cheats is illegal. It's an interesting question but also a mess with the current laws which are clearly not meant for the internet. I don't think Epic is actually looking for a settlement though. They likely want to send a signal to the kid's parents and hopefully deter others from creating and sharing cheats in the future. It is pretty hypocritical since Epic/Fortnite is known for breaching copyright laws all the time, especially in their dances, but they get away with it because they're a Chinese company.

Yes that makes sense, in game items have monitory value so stealing someones in game items is literally theft. However cheating is a completely different situation.