NWC LAN MEGATHREAD

This is for discussions about the community, players, forum games, grudge matches, memes and everything else related to ESOC and its members.
Tuvalu gibson
Ninja
ECL Reigning Champs

Re: NWC LAN MEGATHREAD

Post by gibson »

somppukunkku wrote:
gibson wrote:Well playing on a laptop is worse for sure

I'm not really sure if that's true for AOE. Only thing changing is screen size. I have shifted both, with table comp in Finland during summer holidays and in Germany I always play with laptop. I can't see any difference. It only takes a couple of days to get used to each.
well if you have a separate keyboard it’s probably not that big difference, but having a regular keyboard is certainly better. Also there’s a reason why 24 inches is standard gaming monitor size and not 15. I’m fairly certain that a decent amount of what people are complaining about is mental.
Canada Mitoe
Advanced Theory Craftsman
ESO: Mitoe
GameRanger ID: 346407

Post by Mitoe »

Oh man the lighting in my match was not very flattering haha
Malaysia Yamato23
Musketeer
ESO: Yamato23

Post by Yamato23 »

princeofkabul wrote:I had my mouse and keyboard of course. I think I had The settings I play normally, but somehow everything felt unnatural. The same feeling you have when you play your first game after 6 months or so.

Bro, u might be just nervous.
India Ashvin
Retired Contributor
ESO: Octanium

Post by Ashvin »

Yamato23 wrote:
princeofkabul wrote:I had my mouse and keyboard of course. I think I had The settings I play normally, but somehow everything felt unnatural. The same feeling you have when you play your first game after 6 months or so.

Bro, u r just nervous. Get over it!

Id appreciate your response in the thread I quoted you, it's rude to left people hanging.
France flontier
Lancer
Intermediate Division Winner
ESO: Flontier
Clan: PLOP

Post by flontier »

Play in a totally different environement, with an audience, 1k viewer, 4k TT etc... which result in a lot of pression and stressed, has probably a way bigger impact than... a different screen ?
Poland pecelot
Retired Contributor
Donator 03
ESO: Pezet

Post by pecelot »

also, can't you just change the mouse sensitivity?
Italy gamevideo113
Howdah
ESO: gamevideo113

Post by gamevideo113 »

Were the players given some time to practice with the setup before the tournament games? I totally agree that playing on a different setup can have a huge impact on your performance, and i find it a bit odd that players were allowed to bring more than just their peripherals. Anyway, since those are the rules, kaiser has every right to play on his laptop, and as others have pointed out, there is also a very important mental aspect to it. I think that for future tournament the rules should be changed to avoid these kind of nuisances
[Some people aspire to be pr30+, some people aspire to have fun, and some people aspire to play 3v3 Deccan.] - vividlyplain - 2019 Who (nationality) rape ?
stupid logic. noob players can say op?
toxic, Insult, Racism ?
Nauru Dolan
Ninja

Post by Dolan »

somppukunkku wrote:Then, there's always the controversy whether it's fair.

Seven players have to get used to 1) new computer (i'm not sure about that are the practical issues here?) and 2) New screen

So should the eight player be benefitted to play with
a) Home set-up
b) forced to play with new keyboard, new screen and computer?

None of the options are not fair and at this time it's definitely too late to change the rules.

The typical setup I've seen at pro esports events is: you play with the PC they're providing you with. Even with the peripherals they provide you with, because very often they are sponsored by Logitech and companies like that, which want you to showcase their hardware while competing. So, it's part of the competition rules that everyone plays on the same kind of hardware.
Nauru Dolan
Ninja

Post by Dolan »

n0el wrote:When I heard kaiser was allowed to play on his laptop I was quite surprised. Not sure that would be permitted in any other kind of event.

It wouldn't. I'm surprised they haven't thought this through. Since the players probably signed a contract, someone could sue them and claim competition conditions were not equal.
Poland pecelot
Retired Contributor
Donator 03

Post by pecelot »

or, if that's really necessary, Kaiser could just start playing on the Escape PCs from now on
Nauru Dolan
Ninja

Post by Dolan »

pecelot wrote:also, can't you just change the mouse sensitivity?
You need to install the exact software you had on your home PC for your mouse. Not sure if they were allowed to do that.
Poland pecelot
Retired Contributor
Donator 03

Post by pecelot »

they could — from now on :flowers:
Nauru Dolan
Ninja

Post by Dolan »

pecelot wrote:or, if that's really necessary, Kaiser could just start playing on the Escape PCs from now on

This, tbh. Anyone, not just Kaiser, should be required to play on the same PCs. They can use whatever peripherals they want, as long as those don't have any installed macros, but otherwise, it should be part of the competition rules and conditions that players need to perform on the same setup.
France [Armag] diarouga
Ninja
NWC LAN Gold
ESO: diarouga

Post by [Armag] diarouga »

gibson wrote:
somppukunkku wrote:

I'm not really sure if that's true for AOE. Only thing changing is screen size. I have shifted both, with table comp in Finland during summer holidays and in Germany I always play with laptop. I can't see any difference. It only takes a couple of days to get used to each.
well if you have a separate keyboard it’s probably not that big difference, but having a regular keyboard is certainly better. Also there’s a reason why 24 inches is standard gaming monitor size and not 15. I’m fairly certain that a decent amount of what people are complaining about is mental.

Not really. It's just the same in the practice games, you're slower, less accurate and you can't macro/micro well.
Holy See Imperial Noob
Lancer

Post by Imperial Noob »

somppukunkku wrote:

It only takes a couple of days to get used to each.

and then the tournament is already over :uglylol:
Australia Kawapasaka
ESOC Pro Team

Post by Kawapasaka »

everyone complaining about kaiser having an unfair advantage when tabben is clearly gonna smash him anyway smh
Finland princeofkabul
Pro Player
NWC LAN Top 8EPL Reigning Champs
ESO: Princeofkabul

Post by princeofkabul »

Yamato23 wrote:

Bro, u might be just nervous.

Bro, no. Even when nervous I dont have to resort on dragboxing my stuff.
Chairman of Washed Up clan
Leader of the Shady Swedes
Team Manager of the Blockhouse Boomers
Nauru Dolan
Ninja

Post by Dolan »

Kawapasaka wrote:everyone complaining about kaiser having an unfair advantage when tabben is clearly gonna smash him anyway smh
I know you're memeing, but it's not about the person, it's about the principle of all players playing in the same conditions.
No Flag Djigit
Howdah

Post by Djigit »

tabben is impressive and the series between Mitoe and diarouga were damn close.

I felt bad for Hazza because of the last game. There is a double penalty when somebody steals your medium/big treasure: first, he gets the bounty and then his explorer can finish yours.
Hazza was already out after thish, especially since the MU favors Germans. Not to mention he wasn't able to build a tp...
Prince's misfortune also hurt on Deccan.

tabben obviously did nothing wrong, but I wish there had been a gentleman's agreement since TAD release that would prevent the stealer to kill the enemy explorer in age1.
Netherlands Mr_Bramboy
Retired Contributor
Donator 01
ESO: [VOC] Bram

Post by Mr_Bramboy »

Dolan wrote:
pecelot wrote:or, if that's really necessary, Kaiser could just start playing on the Escape PCs from now on

This, tbh. Anyone, not just Kaiser, should be required to play on the same PCs. They can use whatever peripherals they want, as long as those don't have any installed macros, but otherwise, it should be part of the competition rules and conditions that players need to perform on the same setup.
This is my personal non-esoc affiliated opinion: I agree. Although I do think you're overthinking it. The LAN has a very friendly atmosphere so far and everyone just seems happy to be there. Perhaps this will change later, but I don't think Kaiser is the villain in anyone's eyes.

Players were given plenty of help in replicating their setups. Settings like DPI and other mouse software should be exactly the same. Perhaps some windows settings are at fault, such as the mouse acceleration speed which some players might have enabled. A different resolution can also change how the game reacts to your inputs. I know kynesie plays or at least used to play in a small window with borders, because that's what he got used to.

I think Kaiser's laptop is fine for now, but it's not up to par to modern e-sports regulations for sure. With 40 attendees we shouldn't have to worry about that too much for now. If there is a LAN in the future, we can worry about stricter regulations when the time comes. For now, let's enjoy the awesome tourney the guys at Escape have delivered so far.
Nauru Dolan
Ninja

Post by Dolan »

Well, I think I already emphasised I'm not singling out any particular person. It's just that, yeah, typically at esports events they insist on players using the same setup. And that's very often the case because they are sponsored by companies which produce peripherals, like Logitech or Razer. So, they would surely want players to use that gear which is at everyone's disposal.

And another reason why they do that is because they don't want to be sued later by a player who lost and claims he was disadvantaged.
Yeah, I know, it's just a small tourney, so conditions have been relaxed.
Spain Snuden
Jaeger
ESO: Snuden

Post by Snuden »

I think Kaiser and Tabben have played the best AoE3 so far!
[Sith] - Baphomet
No Flag fightinfrenchman
Ninja
Donator 04

Post by fightinfrenchman »

I'm actually thinking of sueing Escape since my pizza yesterday didn't have any onions on it
Dromedary Scone Mix is not Alone Mix
Great Britain Riotcoke
Retired Contributor
ECL Reigning ChampsDonator 01
ESO: Riotcoke
Clan: UwU

Post by Riotcoke »

fightinfrenchman wrote:I'm actually thinking of sueing Escape since my pizza yesterday didn't have any onions on it

And it had Olives on by mistake.

twitch.tv/stangoesdeepTV
Netherlands Mr_Bramboy
Retired Contributor
Donator 01
ESO: [VOC] Bram

Post by Mr_Bramboy »

fightinfrenchman wrote:I'm actually thinking of sueing Escape since my pizza yesterday didn't have any onions on it

If you bribe a doctor to create evidence that you're extremely allergic you might have a case! Though in the EU (for the time being) this would fall under an exemption clause since you consented to being served food which may have allergens in it when you bought the ticket. You're not in the land of the suing anymore