EE2 Thread.

This is for discussions about the community, players, forum games, grudge matches, memes and everything else related to ESOC and its members.
Netherlands Goodspeed
Retired Contributor

Re: EE2 Thread.

Post by Goodspeed »

Well you can't post a thread, spend 1 sentence describing the game and expect people to just drop what they're doing and play it with you. You gotta sell it
Example: viewtopic.php?f=315&t=15086
Switzerland sebnan12
Jaeger
ESO: Mongobillione

Post by sebnan12 »

i did not click the link yet but i guess the example is go? @Goodspeed ^^
"Why are you trying to lecture me on my own language, no wonder you people shit in the open street."- Riotcoke

''man he's slow rolling him more than a fish on a royal flush'' - Garja

NEED MORE XP
Switzerland sebnan12
Jaeger
ESO: Mongobillione

Post by sebnan12 »

also yes u can! im about to play it!
"Why are you trying to lecture me on my own language, no wonder you people shit in the open street."- Riotcoke

''man he's slow rolling him more than a fish on a royal flush'' - Garja

NEED MORE XP
Netherlands Goodspeed
Retired Contributor

Post by Goodspeed »

:o
Armenia Sargsyan
Jaeger
Donator 01
ESO: lamergamer
Clan: c0ns

Post by Sargsyan »

the only reason i might play this game would be being in the same team with MY TSAR VANE THE GREAT
krichk wrote:For some reason, you want the world to know that you're brave enough to challenge Challenger_Marco
Czech Republic Googol
Retired Contributor
ESO: Butifle

Post by Googol »

Goodspeed wrote:You play FFAs?
I played a decent amount of EE1 back in the day, actually. Never multiplayer, I didn't think that game would work in multiplayer because of the many ages.
Might give this a try.

One of you guys is going to have to do a sales pitch, in which at least all of the following subjects are addressed:
- Build order variety
- Strategic depth
- Unit counter system
- Importance of mechanics
- RNG factor
- Lag in multiplayer

Also:
- What is the average age a typical 1v1 game ends in?
- Where's the community?
Hello, thanks for the questions i appreciate them.

Yes, i play FFAs sometimes, they are actually really fun because of the diplomacy mechanics which are pretty good in my opinion and pretty ahead of it time.
I will adress this issue later in this post. But first to explain it step by step, ill post some pictures and try to explain it fully in detail.

In this picture you can see, the overall game settings in the game that you are about to play. For the sake of the post and explanation of the game i play with 9 AI, to show that there is maximum ammount of 10 players in each room, up to to 10 seperate teams although the diplomacy is always an option if the game rules allow it.

Epoch range: Speaks for itself, the number of the starting epoch in the left and the ending on the right, you can edit the starting and the ending epoch however you please if other players agree with it and you can technically edit anything in the game rules if the players are ok with that.

Max population: The ammount of maximum population that can be present in the game, please note that the population mechanics do not work as in aoe3, in order to compare,
in aoe3 you have a static number of 200 that you cannot surpass (Excluding exploits like unit shipments or church special abillities to ship units etc.). However in EE2 You can set up how much population you want to start with. In this game i set up 10,000 population max to be present in the game. That doesnt mean that if we are 10 players in the game that each of us could traint 10,000 units. No the population cap gets evenly splitted among the players at the begging of the game (The max pop cap) So, it looks something like this
10.000 : 10= 1.000 And so on, if one player resigns or drops out his population gets splitted again amongts other players etc. So it would be 10.000 : 9 ... etc. until only 2 people stay it would be divided by 2 and each player could field 5000 troops in theory. If youd like to play 1v1 in regards to aoe3 pop standart you set the max population cap to 400 and that would do the trick.

Initial ceasefire: Basically aoe3 equivalent to treaty. In this case i put it on 24 hours again, i wanted to show off that it is indeed possible to get a NR 24 hours in this game, since nobody would probably believe me in the first place anyways.

Resources: The ammount of resources you start the game with, can be up to superdeathmatch with an insane ammount of resources. Also i would like to mention that there are 7 different resources in the game: 4 basic, 2 special and 1 technology points.

Basic resources stay the same throughout the game and different ages, these are:
1.Food
2.Wood
3.Stone
4.Gold

In addition there are different types of special resources according to the epochs (Different time periods) your civilization is currently in.
You start the game with only 1 special resource able to gather if you start in one of these epochs: 1 (Stone age), 2 (Copper age), 3(Bronze age). And that resource is called Tin.
In can only be harvested in epochs 1-6.
2nd special resource: Iron can only be harvested in epochs 4-10
3rd special resource: Saltpeter can only be harvested in epochs 7-12
4th special resource: Oil can only be harvested in epochs 10-15
5th special resource: Uranium can obly be harvested in epochs 13-15

Special resources get replaced by one another: Tin gets replaced by saltpeter and that gets replaced by Uranium as the game goes on to the later ages.
Iron gets replaced by Oil
Game pace: In this case medium, every unit has the base game stats that includes: Speed, Attack, Hitpoints etc. it also applies on buildings, train times, gathering rates and the costs of units. It can be modified in the game lobby in order to make the game more interesting or realistic or in opposite completely unrealistic. For instance you can modifiy untis to have high attack and low HP in the game for them to die fast just like irl for instance if youd get hit by an arrow or 2, you would probably die etc.

Teams: Locked/Unlocked ability to make alliances or truces. Locked teams will not allow you to make alliances and basically resulting in a FFA if everyone has its own team of 1 player or static 2v2, 3v3 or 2v2v2v2v2 etc. you get the picture.
Unlocked will allow you to make alliances and truces as you like, there is more to it though.
In this picture, Nabonassar proposed me an alliance, but i didnt like the terms of it so i made my own terms instead.
Duration (in minutes): It decides for how long the alliance is going to be in effect, up to 60 minutes.
LOS Sharing: It decides on what you can see, what your ally is doing or building etc. Note that he can see the exact same thing in what is stated in the deal.
Types of LOS sharing:Full (Tells you everything), Units (Only your units will share the LOS), Buildings (Only buildings will share the LOS), None (He wont know a thing)
Border permission: It decides on what units you can move to your ally´s territory. Types of border permissions: Full (Anyone can enter), Civilian (Only citizens can enter), Trade (Only trade units can enter in order to trade in your markets, which gives you a percentage of their acquired gold as tariff when it enters your market). None (No one can enter).
Although note, that spies as a special unit can enter the territory on any ground, they are not affected by it. In order to spot a spy, you need to have it in the range of your outposts and when you do spot them you can kill them even if he is your ally and has full border permission it does not affect spies.
Tributes: Resources, Units and Territories.
These ones are seperate, you can interact even with your enemies.
Resources: Pretty self explainatory, you can demand or send resources to targeted player.
Units: You can give control of any of your units to your ally/enemy if you wish so, here is an example:
In this picture i offer Nabonassar to give him my scout, if it is not part of an alliance deal, he does not need to accept, it will automatically go to him, lethe be an ally or enemy.
Territories: You can demand or give territories to your ally or enemy,if its not a part of an alliance every buiding within that territory will transfer to him.

Starting forces: You can adjust with how many units the game starts, you can either start with villagers or villagers+army with some buildings.

Starting citizens: How many villagers you start the game with.

Advanced settings:
Game Speed: It tells you how fast the game goes
Reveal Map: Types: Explored, Unexplored, Revealed.
Explored: The map is explored, but the fog of war is enabled.
Unexplored: The map isnt explored, fog of war is enabled.
Revealed: The map is explored, there is no fog of war. Basically everyone has maphack in the game from the start.

City Population: How much a city center adds to your population cap, note that you can build houses to increase it on the territory but there is a limit of 6 houses per territory.
However houses give you some nice other bonuses, like increased resource gathering rate, morale for units and increasing attack values.

Map Settings:
A custom settings for a random generated map.
If its a map from the game itself, these settings do not apply.

Enviromental settings:
In this game there is a system of weather and seasons.
There are 4 seasons: Spring, Summer, Autumn and Winter.
Each season has its own specific weather that affects the units directly via speed etc. Im not sure if it does affect Airplanes in case of a storm or winter storm, didnt test it yet i have just played about 20 games now, and i play with weather being disabled, because people dont like it, although i believe that wind can affect the trajectory of medieval artillery like catapults during a storm.

Now that i have explained some basics, so you can have an idea how the game works.
I will adress your questions:
- Build order variety
There are plenty from what i have seen, but there is a still a basic rule of counters.
Eg. Turtle> Rush, Rush> Boom, Boom>Turtle. However it is also dependent on a starting epoch and in what time period the game takes, because this is not a 100% rule in this game.
The builds themselves, for eg. If you want to boom, you build City Centers fast as you can, and aswell it is optional to drop a university and garrison some citizens to generate tech points in order to get new techs that help you upgrade your gathering rates, or unit HP or Building HP. Rushes rely on sacrificing that booming potentional in order to drop a barracks first and try to harass the economy of other player. Tutrle Relies on building a fort early on which is nearly impposible to take down with epoch 1 units, because you dont have heavy artillery at all, unless you get swarmed by stone throwers and alot of infantry.

- Strategic depth
You need to think alot about your moves, because you can be punished for mistakes just like in aoe. You can also draw a battle plans and send them to your allies, i have made an example for you.
I entered an Alliance with Nabonassar (Not on the terms i stated above, for the sake of this).
I drew a battleblan on how to take out "Vanes Kingdom" So, i drew it and now im about to send it to my allies, he may choose to follow it, or send an counterplan or ignore it. Of course this is AI and it wont follow the plan as it is being drawn, although i noticed a pattern or is it just me that AI actually tends to somewhat do something according to the plan, in regards to this games AI it is not dumb it is actually a pretty good AI, also there is no way you can beat like 7 hardest AI together like in AOE3 in this game, using some wall segments etc. the AI ignores it and just goes for your buildings and actual units. I have played some compstomp games with Tedere and we couldnt beat 2v3 hardest AI because of it. There no way you can rush 3 hardest AIs or outboom them directly.

- Unit counter system

Just like in AOE3 The units have their special tags, and counter one and another.

- Importance of mechanics
This game can be extremly difficult to manage mechanically, especially with high population caps, there is no way you can control so many citizens or units when do you have like 500 citizens and 3000 combat purposed units.
Usually your best bet is to just manage macro the best you can, and let the other combat units attack move, or when you have alot of them and play an FFA you can order them to search and destroy, they will split evenly across all the map themselves and attack anybody in sight.
Micro in this game is only possible early on in the game with few units around.

- RNG factor
Random generated maps, sometimes do screw over you but, if you set the generated map settings correctly, usually it doesnt happen.Otherwise i dont know about anything that could be RNG based.

- Lag in multiplayer
Just like in aoe, there can be multiplayer lag, in the MP lobby you can see the ping of other players, in that case you may kick the laggers if you wish so.
As in any game, MP lag sucks there is no other answer for this.

- What is the average age a typical 1v1 game ends in?
Im sorry but i dont know the exact answer to this, it highly dependent on the starting epoch and the ending one, so far i always played from the 1st starting epoch in MP games.
And i only played teamgames so far and two times i played 1v1 with Vane one game lasted about 25 mins or so, and the other one lasted 7 minutes. It can be random.

- Where's the community?
There is currently a discord server with EE2 players you can join, when you have their EE2 patch downloaded and it will sync your account with the launcher.
https://www.ee2.eu/patch/ Here is the website when you can get the patch, if you have the game installed.

I understand that there might be more questions to it, but please go ahead ask what you need to know, ill try to answer the best i can.
I simply cannot explain everything about this game, in one post but there is a good website you can look up to which explains alot.
Here is the link: http://ee.heavengames.com/new/ee2h/index.shtml
India rsy
Jaeger
Donator 01

Post by rsy »

I'm sold, I like the game gonna buy it
No Flag tedere12
Jaeger

Post by tedere12 »

Yesterday I searched for some gameplay on twitch and youtube, there is very little content, so I decided to upload a recorded game I played recently
Great Britain Riotcoke
Retired Contributor
ECL Reigning ChampsDonator 01
ESO: Riotcoke
Clan: UwU

Post by Riotcoke »

When is vane patch releasing for ee2

twitch.tv/stangoesdeepTV
Czech Republic Googol
Retired Contributor
ESO: Butifle

Post by Googol »

Today
Netherlands Goodspeed
Retired Contributor

Post by Goodspeed »

Did you not age that whole game?
No Flag tedere12
Jaeger

Post by tedere12 »

That game was epoch 9-9 so I couldn't age.

If I get some more interesting game that shows the unique game mechanics better I'll record it and post here.