GUA Twitch

This is for discussions about the community, players, forum games, grudge matches, memes and everything else related to ESOC and its members.
Tuvalu gibson
Ninja
ECL Reigning Champs

Re: GUA Twitch

Post by gibson »

Also it's purely a business decision. A corporation is going to make decisions based on their financial interest regardless of the "right" or "wrong" of the situation. Turns out advertisers dont want their ads associated with homophobic slurs, hence why twitch bans people who lose them.
Greece BrookG
Retired Contributor
ESO: BrookG

Post by BrookG »

XeeleeFlower wrote:That's what happens when you have little to no empathy - unable to understand how/why people would be hurt by something. It takes more courage to admit that something has hurt you than it does to bury it ("grow thicker skin").
I agree but there is a point where you need to become the master of yourself and create your own boundaries. Not impose others people's opinions on yourself. To know your self-worth and not allow diminishing that aka haters gonna hate, as Taylor said.
Correlation doesn't mean causation.
http://www.tylervigen.com/spurious-correlations

"mr.brookg go buy jeans and goto the club with somppuli" - Princeofkabul, July 2018
No Flag fightinfrenchman
Ninja
Donator 04

Post by fightinfrenchman »

gibson wrote:Also it's purely a business decision. A corporation is going to make decisions based on their financial interest regardless of the "right" or "wrong" of the situation. Turns out advertisers dont want their ads associated with homophobic slurs, hence why twitch bans people who lose them.
"Woke capitalism" is good
Dromedary Scone Mix is not Alone Mix
Tuvalu gibson
Ninja
ECL Reigning Champs

Post by gibson »

Well they do genuinely care, not about gay people themselves but about using gay rights as a platform to push their products and to raise their standing in the public eye.
Austria knusch
Pro Player
EWTDonator 01

Post by knusch »

Mr_Bramboy wrote:. Coca-Cola hired guerilla fighters to secure their cocaine and sugar import.
making a delicious drink and creating jobs in underdeveloped areas of the world?

#unsungheroes
United States of America XeeleeFlower
Retired Contributor
Xeelee Patron

Post by XeeleeFlower »

BrookG wrote:
XeeleeFlower wrote:That's what happens when you have little to no empathy - unable to understand how/why people would be hurt by something. It takes more courage to admit that something has hurt you than it does to bury it ("grow thicker skin").
I agree but there is a point where you need to become the master of yourself and create your own boundaries. Not impose others people's opinions on yourself. To know your self-worth and not allow diminishing that aka haters gonna hate, as Taylor said.
You can do that and still feel hurt. Hurt doesn't always arise because it's something that personally affects you. It can also come from empathizing with others.
Time is wise and our wounds seem to heal to the rhythm of aging,
But our past is a ghost fading out that at night it’s still haunting.

http://www.galactanet.com/oneoff/theegg_mod.html
No Flag kami_ryu
Retired Contributor

Post by kami_ryu »

-- deleted post --

Reason: on request (off-topic bulk delete)
No Flag RefluxSemantic
Gendarme

Post by RefluxSemantic »

XeeleeFlower wrote:
BrookG wrote:
You can do that and still feel hurt. Hurt doesn't always arise because it's something that personally affects you. It can also come from empathizing with others.
It's also partially your own responsibility to take care of your own mental state. If people need to tip toe around your feelings all the time and sugar coat anything they say as to not hurt you, then you're actually being an asshole to those people. There's being an asshole because of saying mean things, and there's being an asshole because you can't take anything and in my opinion we should try to find a good middle ground.

And in that good middle ground saying that's gay should be completely fine. At least that's my opinion.
Tuvalu gibson
Ninja
ECL Reigning Champs

Post by gibson »

I'm not sure it should be completely fine to associate a community, which has been persecuted( and still is in some places) for who they are for most of recorded history, with a negative connotation. I mean why not just use something else, its not like there arent other words that convey a similar meaning without putting a community that is already treated like shit. One of my last days of work a 30 year old lady said "Thats so gay", and it just made her seem a bit trashy.
No Flag RefluxSemantic
Gendarme

Post by RefluxSemantic »

gibson wrote:I'm not sure it should be completely fine to associate a community, which has been persecuted( and still is in some places) for who they are for most of recorded history, with a negative connotation. I mean why not just use something else, its not like there arent other words that convey a similar meaning without putting a community that is already treated like shit. One of my last days of work a 30 year old lady said "Thats so gay", and it just made her seem a bit trashy.
From wiktionary: Gay is preferred to homosexual by many gay (homosexual) people as their own term for themselves. Some claim that homosexual is dated and evokes a time when homosexuality was considered a mental illness by the mental health community, while others feel that the word homosexual(ity) does not express the emotional aspects of sexual orientation.

It doesn't really seem like gay is a word with a negative connotation?
Greece BrookG
Retired Contributor
ESO: BrookG

Post by BrookG »

RefluxSemantic wrote:
gibson wrote:I'm not sure it should be completely fine to associate a community, which has been persecuted( and still is in some places) for who they are for most of recorded history, with a negative connotation. I mean why not just use something else, its not like there arent other words that convey a similar meaning without putting a community that is already treated like shit. One of my last days of work a 30 year old lady said "Thats so gay", and it just made her seem a bit trashy.
From wiktionary: Gay is preferred to homosexual by many gay (homosexual) people as their own term for themselves. Some claim that homosexual is dated and evokes a time when homosexuality was considered a mental illness by the mental health community, while others feel that the word homosexual(ity) does not express the emotional aspects of sexual orientation.

this argument reminds me of this
Correlation doesn't mean causation.
http://www.tylervigen.com/spurious-correlations

"mr.brookg go buy jeans and goto the club with somppuli" - Princeofkabul, July 2018
United States of America Cometk
Retired Contributor

Post by Cometk »

Using gay as a synonym for bad gives it a negative connotation
No Flag RefluxSemantic
Gendarme

Post by RefluxSemantic »

Cometk wrote:Using gay as a synonym for bad gives it a negative connotation
That makes more sense. I was honestly struggling a lot to decipher what Gibson was saying; it seems like incoherent gibberish to me for the most part.
No Flag kami_ryu
Retired Contributor

Post by kami_ryu »

-- deleted post --

No Flag RefluxSemantic
Gendarme

Post by RefluxSemantic »

There's a pretty big difference between trying to actively insult someone by calling them something that is considered an insult, and using a word in a different context with clearly no intention to hurt someone at all.
No Flag fightinfrenchman
Ninja
Donator 04

RefluxSemantic wrote:There's a pretty big difference between trying to actively insult someone by calling them something that is considered an insult, and using a word in a different context with clearly no intention to hurt someone at all.
Just because your intention isn't to insult someone, if a group of people it insults them anyway, why wouldn't you just not say it?
No Flag RefluxSemantic
Gendarme

Post by RefluxSemantic »

Because I think it's partially your own responsibility to take care of your own mental state. If I couldn't say something that could potentially insult someone in this world, then I wouldn't be able to say many things. Being like that, demanding that people don't say things that could potentially insult some people, is a bad thing to do in my opinion. Like I said, there's a line to walk between being not being triggered so easily and not straight up insulting others, and I believe saying "that's gay" is close enough within that line as to be considered acceptable.
No Flag fightinfrenchman
Ninja
Donator 04

It's not that you can't say it, it's that it's just not a nice thing to do
Tuvalu gibson
Ninja
ECL Reigning Champs

Post by gibson »

RefluxSemantic wrote:

You missed the point, when you say "That's gay" when something goes wrong you're giving it a negative connotation. Unless you were talking about saying that's gay about something that is in fact homosexual, in which case of course its fine.
United States of America IGNDontay
Dragoon
ESO: Dontay

Post by IGNDontay »

RefluxSemantic wrote:
Cometk wrote:Using gay as a synonym for bad gives it a negative connotation
That makes more sense. I was honestly struggling a lot to decipher what Gibson was saying; it seems like incoherent gibberish to me for the most part.
bro he literally makes shit up lol no exaggeration. he makes up stories and just says things because he can. a liar, story teller. he’s one of those type of people. it it just gibberish of him attempting to sound intelligent. I made 2 whole posts about it
You can’t read me I don’t play by the book.
No Flag RefluxSemantic
Gendarme

Post by RefluxSemantic »

gibson wrote:
RefluxSemantic wrote:

You missed the point, when you say "That's gay" when something goes wrong you're giving it a negative connotation. Unless you were talking about saying that's gay about something that is in fact homosexual, in which case of course its fine.
I probably did. Like I said, it was because your post is very hard to understand. There are sentences which just seem like gibberish to me, so I probably missed the point.
Austria knusch
Pro Player
EWTDonator 01

Post by knusch »

fightinfrenchman wrote:
RefluxSemantic wrote:There's a pretty big difference between trying to actively insult someone by calling them something that is considered an insult, and using a word in a different context with clearly no intention to hurt someone at all.
Just because your intention isn't to insult someone, if a group of people it insults them anyway, why wouldn't you just not say it?
so as soon as someone is offended and vocal about it you gonna simply stop using certain words?
if u think that through this leads nowhere...
Tuvalu gibson
Ninja
ECL Reigning Champs

Post by gibson »

I will explain it better later when I have more time @RefluxSemantic
actually it seems like trevor explained it in much simpler terms. When something bad happens to you or you want to insult someone and you use the term gay instead of bitch or shit or fuck you're giving it a negative connotation.
No Flag kami_ryu
Retired Contributor

Post by kami_ryu »

-- deleted post --

United States of America bittersalt123
Howdah

Post by bittersalt123 »

GUA getting banned is why SJW's shouldn't be in charge of anything. GUA getting banned is 100% stupid and nobody actually believes he discriminated against gay people lol

If GUA got banned for apparent OOSing then twitch is lazy as hell for not even launching an investigation because then they'd see he didn't OOS it.
"It makes a lot of sense to me that you're a Floridian." fightinfrenchman

Who needs water when you've got Brawndo – The Thirst Mutilator?

Secretary of State: But Brawndo's got what plants crave. It's got electrolytes