A poll on ESOC off topic controversial content

This is for discussions about the community, players, forum games, grudge matches, memes and everything else related to ESOC and its members.
Kiribati princeofcarthage
Retired Contributor

Re: A poll on ESOC off topic controversial content

Post by princeofcarthage »

Context is more important than textbook definition though. Throwing dictionary in someones face is easy. You mean to say next time bus conductor asks me to get up from a seat reserved for senior citizen, I can sue him for age discrimination?
Fine line to something great is a strange change.
No Flag RefluxSemantic
Gendarme

Post by RefluxSemantic »

To discriminate is simply an English word (stemming from the Latin discriminare) which means to distinguish. It's not constricted to distinguishing in a bad manner (ie discriminating based on age or on race in job interviews). It's your lack of knowledge of the English language that has led you to believe this.
No Flag deleted_user
Ninja

Post by deleted_user »

Languages evolve and words can possess multiple definitions. That's common. Etymologies are nice but don't have the authority of a dictionary, and the dictionary does not have the authority of the people, and nothing is as relevant as something defined outright for and within its specific context.

Bunch of backwards debate here about nothing, really, to try to bolster the individuals' somethings of their deeper ethopolitical convictions as seen challenegd by or in opposition of the other, and so pro-retro-actively defending of oneself via. initial assault commences. Quickly the assailant v. assailed dynamic takes shape as gutted of all formalties, the former of which with an advantage in tempo, like the white pieces in chess. And so two frivolous pawns are maneuvered and poked and prodded and treated as a real point of honest tension, even though greater schematic purposes unfold elsewhere across two halves of an entire board. Look at the board.

Broken game, please patch Nintendo.
European Union Theodore
Skirmisher

Post by Theodore »

RefluxSemantic wrote:To discriminate is simply an English word (stemming from the Latin discriminare) which means to distinguish. It's not constricted to distinguishing in a bad manner (ie discriminating based on age or on race in job interviews). It's your lack of knowledge of the English language that has led you to believe this.
That's not correct either. Most people use "discrimination" as a synonym for treating sb unfairly based on race, gender, ethnicity, religion, etc. Please see the Oxford dictionary: https://www.oxfordlearnersdictionaries. ... scriminate. You cannot cover all meanings of a specific word if you only refer to its origins. Legally, you are definitly off-track: In legal terms discrimination never means "to distinguish (neutrally)", see UK Equality Act 2010, Sec. 10.
No Flag RefluxSemantic
Gendarme

Post by RefluxSemantic »

Did I say discrimination means "to distinguish" though? Because when I actually read my post, I don't see me saying that at all.
European Union Theodore
Skirmisher

Post by Theodore »

You mean because you use the noun instead of the verb? Fabulous reasoning. Come on.
No Flag fightinfrenchman
Ninja
Donator 04

Post by fightinfrenchman »

Holy shit this is boring
Dromedary Scone Mix is not Alone Mix
No Flag RefluxSemantic
Gendarme

Post by RefluxSemantic »

Theodore wrote:You mean because you use the noun instead of the verb? Fabulous reasoning. Come on.
Yes. I don't see what's wrong with my reasoning, because my argument has been that "to discriminate" is not necessarily restricted to the meaning "distinguish based on race/gender/age". It indeed seems like pretty fabulous reasoning to me that I specifically use the definition of the word that I'm arguing has that definition, and that I don't use the definition of a different word.
Kiribati princeofcarthage
Retired Contributor

Post by princeofcarthage »

I was mostly responding to chris. One thing I have learnt being for years on forum is that people are always ready to throw textbooks at people, little they know that theoretical knowledge doesn't apply in exact same way in practical life/applications. You are one of them, as such I am not going to entertain you on this topic unless you start arguing on practical basis rather than hypothetical.
Fine line to something great is a strange change.
Great Britain chris1089
Retired Contributor
ESO: chris1089

Post by chris1089 »

I think the reason this is quite hypothetical is because words have been and are interpreted in such vastly different ways on this topic, and so you have to go back to linguistics to explain what you mean by a word, before you can get anywhere meaningful in a practical discussion. Otherwise you end up talking past each other, where you both say the same thing but mean different things by those same words.